Moto Van not extended help

ferencik73
Edited Date/Time 9/1/2015 8:03am
Hello all i just bought a chevy van thats not extended and i need some help. i want to put a bench seat/fold down bed in it plus a wall right behind hind the seat and fit at most two bikes in it so I'm wondering if that will work and if anybody has ideas or pictures to help me out plus any other little things that make life in a not extended van easier .. thank you
|
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/31/2015 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2015 7:00pm
Type in moto van in the search bar and there are lots of diffrent threads with pictures and ideas
Grizz
8/31/2015 4:52pm
That's why I'm waiting for the right deal on an extended van.
cwtoyota
8/31/2015 4:54pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2015 5:01pm
ferencik73 wrote:
Hello all i just bought a chevy van thats not extended and i need some help. i want to put a bench seat/fold down bed in...
Hello all i just bought a chevy van thats not extended and i need some help. i want to put a bench seat/fold down bed in it plus a wall right behind hind the seat and fit at most two bikes in it so I'm wondering if that will work and if anybody has ideas or pictures to help me out plus any other little things that make life in a not extended van easier .. thank you
A few years ago I bought a 2005 Chevy Express 3500 van. It's the standard cargo van, not the extended length version.

I can fit up to 3 bikes inside the van with plenty of room for parts, tools, air compressor, generator, ez-up, chairs, gas cans, oil, gear-bags, cooler, etc. Here are a few photos to give you an idea how I load my van:

The key for my setup is staggering the bikes enough to clear each other. The front wheel chocks separate the bikes by 14" side to side and 24" front to back. With this arrangement I've loaded every combination of late model YZ two strokes, YZ450F, KX450F, KX250F and KTM 150SX you could imagine. It works for basically any combination of motocross bikes. The front wheel of the front bike is slightly forward (2 inches) of the steel dividing wall which is right up against the top of the seat-backs in my van. I have a cheap cooler that fits perfectly between the front seats with about 3 or 4 inches clearance between the front wheel of the forward bike and the center-console of the van.

Note, the rear/left bike's triple clamps and handlebar just clears that gray steel parts/tool cabinet by 3" to 4". Without that cabinet in the van, you could move both bikes over to the left another 4" to 6" also. I couldn't live without that cabinet and drawers to organize my parts.

If you want a folding seat/bed just behind the driver's & passenger's seat, you could move both of the bikes to the rear as much as 11 inches and still close the rear door with my setup assuming brand new tires on the longest bike I have (my YZ450F and my YZ300).

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/31/2015 5:24pm
Haha. You have to admire a man who measures his van rig down to the newness of the tires on the bikes he's stuffing in it. Cool

The Shop

mxadam579
8/31/2015 5:55pm
I love these threads. Everybody thinks i am a nut at work for driving a van like its not hip enough. Best investment ever it all fits in there with room to sleep and best of all it is all locked when I walk a way. And also when its raining or cold as hell im inside LETS SEE MORE VAN CONVERSIONS
8/31/2015 7:04pm
ferencik73 wrote:
Hello all i just bought a chevy van thats not extended and i need some help. i want to put a bench seat/fold down bed in...
Mine is the 6 cyl short. Works. Awesome. Can fit three bikes in it.

Walled. Insulated. Conversion van roll out seat with electric button.

cwtoyota
8/31/2015 7:11pm
Falcon wrote:
Haha. You have to admire a man who measures his van rig down to the newness of the tires on the bikes he's stuffing in it...
Haha. You have to admire a man who measures his van rig down to the newness of the tires on the bikes he's stuffing in it. Cool
I have a habit of being excessively thorough and ridiculously precise.
It's not always a good thing, but I dated a lady-engineer a few years ago... Tongue
cwtoyota
8/31/2015 7:18pm
Georgie, you just slide your front seats forward to make room to fold down that bed?

Something your pics reminded me of that helps a ton in these Chevy vans are those threaded bolt holes in the floor. They are threaded for 1/4"-20 bolts. I sprayed a little WD-40 in the holes and chased them with a tap to clear the dirt, rust and other schmoo out of the threads. I didn't have to drill or modify my van one bit to bolt in my wheel-chocks, just used the factory bolt holes.
ferencik73
8/31/2015 8:37pm
ferencik73 wrote:
Mine is the 6 cyl short. Works. Awesome. Can fit three bikes in it. Walled. Insulated. Conversion van roll out seat with electric button. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/31/103648/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/31/103649/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Mine is the 6 cyl short. Works. Awesome. Can fit three bikes in it.

Walled. Insulated. Conversion van roll out seat with electric button.

Hey can you post or email me some more pictures and info ?? I love what you have its exactly what I want would love to get more info on it
9/1/2015 2:30am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2015 2:42am
cwtoyota wrote:
Georgie, you just slide your front seats forward to make room to fold down that bed? Something your pics reminded me of that helps a ton...
Georgie, you just slide your front seats forward to make room to fold down that bed?

Something your pics reminded me of that helps a ton in these Chevy vans are those threaded bolt holes in the floor. They are threaded for 1/4"-20 bolts. I sprayed a little WD-40 in the holes and chased them with a tap to clear the dirt, rust and other schmoo out of the threads. I didn't have to drill or modify my van one bit to bolt in my wheel-chocks, just used the factory bolt holes.
You can drill right through. And yes my seats are pushed forward. Place a cooler in between seats and a pad and you can sleep one more up front. I usually put both my dogs up there.

Make sure you measure wall for distance of new tires and totally stretched out chain.

Thet you can load straight in or have the choice of cocking the wheel into the corners of the wall.

Just build a stud wall with 3/4 plywood.youll need 3 sheets. I put stud every eight inches. Insulate with standard wall insulation. Bolt to floor and sides of van. Get ceiling as tight as you can. Caulk the gap.

I'm not a carpenter but it can be done as long as everything's squared up. Take measurements twice. This set up barely works both ways. Seat barely lays flat and bike fits snug on the rear door.

For the wall use thin insulation and for the ceiling use finishing board with the thin styrofoam insulate. Caulk all the seems and holes and seal out the back. No gas smell on the way home. And no tools crushing your skull in event of accident.

I use outdoor carpet from Home Depot or lowes. 3 cans of 3M epoxy spray to stick. Bought whatever carpet was on clearance. And the green turned out nice anyway.
ferencik73
9/1/2015 8:03am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/01/103683/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Last pic I found sorry so many consecutive posts

Last pic I found sorry so many consecutive posts
hey georgie where did you get the bed / bench seat???

Post a reply to: Moto Van not extended help

The Latest