Moto Van bike transport

deadlo
Edited Date/Time 12/3/2020 4:39am
For you guys with camper converted transits and sprinters...

I am looking at something like the risk racing lock n load to secure my bike. My question is, how do you mount one of these? Most van floors are floating or held down with just glue. Should I drill the base through the floating floor, and the van floor? Anyone have something similar?

https://riskracing.com/pages/lock-n-load-pro

Thanks!
|
moto67e
Fantasy
2734th
12/2/2020 11:55pm

I have them inside my motovan and just screwed them to the plywood floor i have in my van. I've been using them this way for the past 6 months with no problems.
deadlo
12/2/2020 11:59pm
moto67e wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/12/02/463101/s1200_IMG_6725.jpg[/img] I have them inside my motovan and just screwed them to the plywood floor i have in my van. I've been using them this way...

I have them inside my motovan and just screwed them to the plywood floor i have in my van. I've been using them this way for the past 6 months with no problems.
Is the plywood floor floating or secured to the van floor? I was going to glue down insulating board to the van floor, then plywood just sitting on top of the insulation board (no screws), then vinyl glued to the plywood. I’m wondering if I can just screw the lock n load to the plywood and it’d be fine, or have to bolt through the plywood, insulation, and van floor.
luke11
Fantasy
2280th
12/3/2020 1:31am
I’d be interested to know aswell. The plywood floor on my van is fixed to glued downbatons approx 2inch high with insulation in the gaps.
I want that lock and load system but ideally, would like to just go into a baton with wood screw rather than drilling the van floor. Just not sure it’ll be strong enough
mac3-d
12/3/2020 1:32am
in the event of a collision it would be best to go through the van floor. you don't want a bike coming at you inside your van.

The Shop

DM268
12/3/2020 2:48am
What I did instead of buying the Risk racing system was, using a tie down point on each side, take two chains one for each foot peg with a D ring and use that instead. Cost maybe $20 for everything and takes us zero space. I also used two command strips for the far side of your bike (wall side) to hang the chain/D ring on it so you don't have to reach far over to grab it. I have been doing this for a few years now and have taken many cross country trips and its worked very smoothly. Pictures aren't the best, I am currently out of the country but I think you can see it in the closer up photo (hopefully they upload, I have never tried before). I do have to slightly step on one footpeg , because I like the chain somewhat tight, but it doesn't hardly put any pressure on the forks like traditional tie downs do.

DM268
12/3/2020 2:52am
DM268 wrote:
What I did instead of buying the Risk racing system was, using a tie down point on each side, take two chains one for each foot...
What I did instead of buying the Risk racing system was, using a tie down point on each side, take two chains one for each foot peg with a D ring and use that instead. Cost maybe $20 for everything and takes us zero space. I also used two command strips for the far side of your bike (wall side) to hang the chain/D ring on it so you don't have to reach far over to grab it. I have been doing this for a few years now and have taken many cross country trips and its worked very smoothly. Pictures aren't the best, I am currently out of the country but I think you can see it in the closer up photo (hopefully they upload, I have never tried before). I do have to slightly step on one footpeg , because I like the chain somewhat tight, but it doesn't hardly put any pressure on the forks like traditional tie downs do.

It also works well for hauling different size bikes, because all you need to do is change which link the D ring is on to make it smaller or larger.
Pirate421
12/3/2020 3:27am
I bought a bolt it on system for mine and I love it. A bit pricey but super well made and can haul three bikes. Takes 2 minutes to install and uninstall and no hardware or drilling into your van.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
12/3/2020 3:41am
I use Risk racing for the last 4 or 5 years. I bolt through the floor. Washer and nuts under the van so it can’t pull through.
luke11
Fantasy
2280th
12/3/2020 4:12am
Pirate421 wrote:
I bought a bolt it on system for mine and I love it. A bit pricey but super well made and can haul three bikes. Takes...
I bought a bolt it on system for mine and I love it. A bit pricey but super well made and can haul three bikes. Takes 2 minutes to install and uninstall and no hardware or drilling into your van.
What’s this bolt it on system?
Pirate421
12/3/2020 4:39am
luke11 wrote:
What’s this bolt it on system?
https://www.boltiton.com/

I have no affiliation with the company but the owner was super responsive when I had questions and you can custom configure the system for number of bikes and bike placement. I have an angled chock so that I maximize floor space in my van but can haul up to three dirtbikes or mountain bikes. It attaches uses j hooks into the stock floor and or seat mounts and is literally tool less. I have a passenger van but they work for cargo too. I like being able to remove it when I want. It looks like they are making more products for them too like a gear pole which is a cool idea too. Everything you need to secure your bike is on the rack including tie down locations so no e track or walk mounts are needed.

Post a reply to: Moto Van bike transport

The Latest