Moto Training on a Bicycle

bigmaico
Guy's,

I need a little help from you guy's that use a Bicycle to get in some training, I've been hitting the Greenbelts around here where I live.

Most of them are not very well maintained & have expansion joints lips that are raised up to about 3"

It's really hard on my back, Which I broke in 3 places 2 years ago!

So I've been using the wife's cheep Walmart MTB to get a little exercise & it too small for me.

I've been looking at some comfort\Hybrid's like a Giant Sadona & Trek Marlin.

I can't afford & don't need a real mountain bike, Yes I've looked at Vital MTB & most of those are to much $$.

Let me know what you guys think will work for a Old (60+) broken 215Lbs 6 foot Really slow rider.

Thanks in Advance

Howard
|
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
5/4/2017 9:47am
Find a real, full suspension mountain bike on Craigslist. It'll be worth it.
Yes, they can be really expensive new, but there are deals to be had on Craigslist, and you'll end up with a much higher quality bike, with far better suspension than what you can buy in a department store.

Also, make sure you get the right sized bike for your size, probably a large or extra large, and get it setup properly. That should "help" riding to not aggravate your back.

Then have fun!

cable
5/4/2017 9:58am
check craigslist and local Facebook for sale sites. You can get a great road bike for $5-600 hundred here, and under a thousand for a good mountain bike.
tingo
5/4/2017 10:26am
If your back is having a hard time with a 3 inch expansion gap on a bicycle (you are picking the front end up/over the joint and standing on the pedals as you go over them, right?), how are you riding a dirtbike?
bigmaico
5/4/2017 10:35am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2017 10:40am
I've been to a few local bike shops & asked what they would use & all of the them said a full suspended hybrid like the 2. I mentioned.

Both run about $450.

Which is about what I can spend right now, being laid off for a few months.

I would love to be able afford a new MTB, but thats not in the cards this year.

PS, I've been checking Craig's List & just haven't found anything yet!

I need to find a entry level MTB, but don't know which one's to look at, Which brands are good or which ones to stay away from?

The Shop

Dtat720
5/4/2017 10:38am
Dicks sporting goods sells a giant and a diamond back hybrid that would suit you for under $300.
F.B
5/4/2017 11:56am
The bikes you mentioned are hardtails, not full suspended bikes.

If you are only riding green belts, you don't need a full suspended bike (even with you back injury). An entry level hardtail will be fine.

What will help the most for your back pain is using good technique and getting your bike set up properly.
bigmaico
5/4/2017 1:21pm
F.B wrote:
The bikes you mentioned are hardtails, not full suspended bikes. If you are only riding green belts, you don't need a full suspended bike (even with...
The bikes you mentioned are hardtails, not full suspended bikes.

If you are only riding green belts, you don't need a full suspended bike (even with you back injury). An entry level hardtail will be fine.

What will help the most for your back pain is using good technique and getting your bike set up properly.
F.B.

Well your right about both the bike I mentioned are hard-tails, they both come with adjustable sprung seat post.

As I stated earlier the green belts are full of pot holes & uprooted pavement, that's why I'm looking for a suspended bike.

Just trying to really figure out if an entry level MTB would be better.

Thanks for your information!
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
5/4/2017 2:21pm
At your height and with the back problems I'd be looking for a full squish XC 29er. They were trendy a few years ago so decent ones should be available on cl for cheap
LappedU
5/4/2017 2:21pm
Keep riding the wife's piece of shit, you will be in much better shape in the end than if you ride some expensive easy to ride plush job, nice bikes are for pussies!
bigmaico
5/4/2017 3:19pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2017 3:20pm
LappedU wrote:
Keep riding the wife's piece of shit, you will be in much better shape in the end than if you ride some expensive easy to ride...
Keep riding the wife's piece of shit, you will be in much better shape in the end than if you ride some expensive easy to ride plush job, nice bikes are for pussies!
I wish I could, but I'm already bending shit up on the cheep piece of junk!

I'm not going buy some expensive plush job, just a $500 bike that fits me!

If it's easier to ride, I'll just push it harder & turn my 10 mile route into a 15 mile route. or cut the 1 hr/ 10 miles down to 45 mins!
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
5/4/2017 3:45pm
LappedU wrote:
Keep riding the wife's piece of shit, you will be in much better shape in the end than if you ride some expensive easy to ride...
You are full of shit. With that thinking, hit the moto track on a Chinese pit bike.

Markee
Fantasy
1941st
5/4/2017 4:06pm
LappedU wrote:
bigmaico wrote:
I wish I could, but I'm already bending shit up on the cheep piece of junk! I'm not going buy some expensive plush job, just a...

If it's easier to ride, I'll just push it harder & turn my 10 mile route into a 15 mile route. or cut the 1 hr/ 10 miles down to 45 mins!
You need to find a quality bicycle that fits you for your needs. In case you didn't know. A quality bike will not be a one size fits all. The two brands you mentioned above and the type (hybrid) will have different sizes to fit your body type.

I use to work at my local bike shop for 12 years fitting, selling and maintaining general use to high end bicycles. For someone getting in to road and very light path riding, the hybrid is a good fit, it will also allow you to put in miles with a more up right posture, they also can come with seat post suspension (some better than others) that can help with back "jaring". The only thing that is wrong with the traditional hybrid is they are like tools that do two things, they do those two things not great.

In cycling, the lack of pain will equal gains. These comments that a better bike is for a pussy is bullshit. Because if you are comfortable and have a bike that suits your needs and durable enough to be reliable when you are able to ride, you will ride more and more and more.

Now if you like to pound miles on your moms huffy and also like popular pains in your ankles, patella tendons, hips, wrist and ass. Get out there tough guys.

I would encorage you to talk with your local bike shop.
bigmaico
5/4/2017 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2017 4:32pm
LappedU wrote:
bigmaico wrote:
I wish I could, but I'm already bending shit up on the cheep piece of junk! I'm not going buy some expensive plush job, just a...

Markee wrote:
You need to find a quality bicycle that fits you for your needs. In case you didn't know. A quality bike will not be a one...
You need to find a quality bicycle that fits you for your needs. In case you didn't know. A quality bike will not be a one size fits all. The two brands you mentioned above and the type (hybrid) will have different sizes to fit your body type.

I use to work at my local bike shop for 12 years fitting, selling and maintaining general use to high end bicycles. For someone getting in to road and very light path riding, the hybrid is a good fit, it will also allow you to put in miles with a more up right posture, they also can come with seat post suspension (some better than others) that can help with back "jaring". The only thing that is wrong with the traditional hybrid is they are like tools that do two things, they do those two things not great.

In cycling, the lack of pain will equal gains. These comments that a better bike is for a pussy is bullshit. Because if you are comfortable and have a bike that suits your needs and durable enough to be reliable when you are able to ride, you will ride more and more and more.

Now if you like to pound miles on your moms huffy and also like popular pains in your ankles, patella tendons, hips, wrist and ass. Get out there tough guys.

I would encorage you to talk with your local bike shop.
Markee,

Thank you, that's good information & I've been to a few shops around here.

Looks like I can fit a med or large frame, depending on which brand as I'm 6"0 with a 31.5 inseam.

I think I'll go ride the Giant Sedona Dx again & see how it feels after riding the Trek Marlin.

Unless you have an other brand \ model you think I should look at ?
Gravel
5/4/2017 5:49pm
The window for this might have already passed...

Go to all your local bike shops and look for any in stock 26" wheel mountain bike that fits you, probably a large. Offer what you can pay, see what the shop counters with. If you find anything with 26s, I bet you can get a great price.. a hardtail with bigger tires, 2.2 or so, will smooth out rough pavement fairly well
5/4/2017 5:54pm
LappedU wrote:
Markee wrote:
You are full of shit. With that thinking, hit the moto track on a Chinese pit bike.

Or better yet, on a 2 stroke!

LOL
kaptkaos
5/4/2017 7:07pm
I can agree with many here on the board, a POS bike will not do you any favors, likely leave you stranded and hurt your body in the long run. A good bike will last forever, and it will allow you to ride longer. Get the best bike you can afford and have it fitted.

Sounds like money is an issue right now, so you should not even be motoing, You can also get a used spin bike or air trainer and set it up to fit you.

I was one of those guys that said no way would I spend big money on a bicycle. But now I have 3 bikes and 2 of them are worth almost $5k each, which is nuts, but they have served me very well for many years and allow me to ride confidently, comfortably, safely and longer.

I would say if you can afford a $500 bike right now, focus on saving some money or selling some toys from your garage and get another $600-800 saved up and buy a better bike in 6 months rather than piss away $350-400 on a poor bike now.

Good luck.
MotoMo165
5/4/2017 7:49pm
Used FS off Craigslist would be you best bet considering your age and weight. Have it serviced at your local bike shop. A bike too small will only cause more back problems by the way.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
5/5/2017 6:31pm
kaptkaos wrote:
I can agree with many here on the board, a POS bike will not do you any favors, likely leave you stranded and hurt your body...
I can agree with many here on the board, a POS bike will not do you any favors, likely leave you stranded and hurt your body in the long run. A good bike will last forever, and it will allow you to ride longer. Get the best bike you can afford and have it fitted.

Sounds like money is an issue right now, so you should not even be motoing, You can also get a used spin bike or air trainer and set it up to fit you.

I was one of those guys that said no way would I spend big money on a bicycle. But now I have 3 bikes and 2 of them are worth almost $5k each, which is nuts, but they have served me very well for many years and allow me to ride confidently, comfortably, safely and longer.

I would say if you can afford a $500 bike right now, focus on saving some money or selling some toys from your garage and get another $600-800 saved up and buy a better bike in 6 months rather than piss away $350-400 on a poor bike now.

Good luck.
Well said.

I have a older Cannondale road bike in a trainer, only weighs 15lbs, ti parts, one front chain ring, etc... Got boring, so I bought a "used" carbon Scott road bike with just shimano 105 group to hit the streets. Pretty basic now days, but man its such a nice ride. Did my first 20 miles last week on this bike and I really enjoyed it. You just can't duplicate it on a trainer, the wind, hills, getting lost.

Btw, scored the full Scott carbon road bike for 675.00 on ebay. Had 50 miles on it. Nice bikes are just that nice all the way around, very motivating for me having a decent machine.
TSRmxer355
5/5/2017 6:53pm
Try pinkbike.com for used mtbs. Way better than craigslist, more high end bikes and bigger selection.
kaptkaos
5/5/2017 7:56pm
I scored a 3 year old hardly ridden Scott Carbon Elite CR1 for $900 with the Rival Groupset and its fantastic. Best money I ever spent. My Specialized Stumpjumper 29 I bought brand new, and kept spending on it, but it has been worth every penny.

Post a reply to: Moto Training on a Bicycle

The Latest