Moto Salary

Edited Date/Time 2/9/2021 11:52am
Why is it such a big secret what these guys make? What type of money does the average factory rider in 250 and 450 make? None of my business, but the life styles they live and all the expenses seem they must be doing just fine.
|
kb228
2/5/2021 7:20am
Its a secret because its embarrassingly low
Mcflurry98
2/5/2021 7:20am
There is no riders union, so I believe that is why everything is so hush hush.

450's

Top guys make millions in base salary, plus sponsor deals. Guys outside the top 3 are making far less, but still decent money. A win bonus from the factory alone is $100K. When added to the bonuses paid out by sponsors it is rumored that some guys make $200K per win bonus.

250's

Top guys make $250K-$300K base. Other guys that are on teams, but aren't contenders make $50K-$75K. A bonus payout from the factory is around $50K per win.

LungButter
2/5/2021 7:22am
kb228 wrote:
Everyone always says this, but it seems like they are getting paid what the market demands, right?

Where is more money supposed to come from? Are the team owners and upper management of teams just getting filthy rich from racing? I don't think so....

*Before I get flamed, of course I want ALL of the racers to make more money, I just don't see where it is supposed to come from.

The Shop

2/5/2021 7:50am
So the rumor is the Lawerance brothers got a hefty payday to go to HRC. I wonder what they are racking in, it is just strange to me how some can retire at 26 and others have to find jobs once the dream is over.
Motoxdoc
2/5/2021 7:57am
I’d guess anywhere from breaking even to $1,000,000. The disparity from the top to the bottom is probably very similar to real life for the rest of us citizens.
tuttle425
2/5/2021 8:00am
So the rumor is the Lawerance brothers got a hefty payday to go to HRC. I wonder what they are racking in, it is just strange...
So the rumor is the Lawerance brothers got a hefty payday to go to HRC. I wonder what they are racking in, it is just strange to me how some can retire at 26 and others have to find jobs once the dream is over.
Some people are great with money management, some are terrible. Dean Wilson is notoriously cheap and Anderson has said he doesnt spend shit and is just banking everything he's making. Compare that to someone like Josh Hansen who dropped 100s of thousands just on cars.

A 20 something who is smart with money is probably the exception rather than the rule.
2/5/2021 8:02am
So the rumor is the Lawerance brothers got a hefty payday to go to HRC. I wonder what they are racking in, it is just strange...
tuttle425 wrote:
Some people are great with money management, some are terrible. Dean Wilson is notoriously cheap and Anderson has said he doesnt spend shit and is just...
Some people are great with money management, some are terrible. Dean Wilson is notoriously cheap and Anderson has said he doesnt spend shit and is just banking everything he's making. Compare that to someone like Josh Hansen who dropped 100s of thousands just on cars.

A 20 something who is smart with money is probably the exception rather than the rule.
Good point, I guess that goes with any walk of life. I hope those brothers have long careers, they both are refreshing to see in the sport on and off the track.
JBlain619
2/5/2021 8:03am
kb228 wrote:
LungButter wrote:
Everyone always says this, but it seems like they are getting paid what the market demands, right? Where is more money supposed to come from? Are...
Everyone always says this, but it seems like they are getting paid what the market demands, right?

Where is more money supposed to come from? Are the team owners and upper management of teams just getting filthy rich from racing? I don't think so....

*Before I get flamed, of course I want ALL of the racers to make more money, I just don't see where it is supposed to come from.
You are correct to an extent. Are you talking strictly salary or are you including bonues as well? Multiple year deal or what are they making for a single year?? Rookies in the 250 class or proven race winning riders in the 450 class?

It is super difficult to pin down an avg salary. Basically, only 250 rookies and 2nd or 3rd year riders are making similar money. Jett is an exception but that was due to his performances/popularity and his team folding essentially made him a free agent after his rookie year. Otherwise he would still be on the lower factory rider pay scale sue to his experience.

The 250 class guys typically aren't making better than what most average people bring home after expenses. BUT, they get to ride a motorcycle for a living.
JBlain619
2/5/2021 8:05am
Jett did...
2/5/2021 8:08am
kb228 wrote:
LungButter wrote:
Everyone always says this, but it seems like they are getting paid what the market demands, right? Where is more money supposed to come from? Are...

JBlain619 wrote:
You are correct to an extent. Are you talking strictly salary or are you including bonues as well? Multiple year deal or what are they making...
You are correct to an extent. Are you talking strictly salary or are you including bonues as well? Multiple year deal or what are they making for a single year?? Rookies in the 250 class or proven race winning riders in the 450 class?

It is super difficult to pin down an avg salary. Basically, only 250 rookies and 2nd or 3rd year riders are making similar money. Jett is an exception but that was due to his performances/popularity and his team folding essentially made him a free agent after his rookie year. Otherwise he would still be on the lower factory rider pay scale sue to his experience.

The 250 class guys typically aren't making better than what most average people bring home after expenses. BUT, they get to ride a motorcycle for a living.
I would love to make any money to race. I was just curious, some guys seem to live awesome life styles.
nskerb
2/5/2021 8:09am
tuttle425 wrote:
Some people are great with money management, some are terrible. Dean Wilson is notoriously cheap and Anderson has said he doesnt spend shit and is just...

I can totally see Anderson living in an apartment with a coffee table completely covered in empty cans and ash trays lol. Makes me miss college.
2/5/2021 8:09am
Some guys have salary contracts, others are heavily performance based. I think JB51 is more performance based, from what I've read and heard.

in 2009 When Reed raced outdoors, the team couldn't afford to pay him so they took out a huge insurance policy if he won the championship. Between the team and one of his sponsors (can't remember who) The insurance payout when he won the title was $8 Million!
TeamGreen
2/5/2021 8:12am
tuttle425 wrote:

The Notoriously Cheap guy that buys bikes for little kids...with his own money...?
Grinning
JBlain619
2/5/2021 8:14am
LungButter wrote:

JBlain619 wrote:
You are correct to an extent. Are you talking strictly salary or are you including bonues as well? Multiple year deal or what are they making...

I would love to make any money to race. I was just curious, some guys seem to live awesome life styles.
Like was mentioned above, it depends on how frugal you are. Some are all about the show, others want to make sure they don't HAVE to work once their career is over.

I remember back in 1994, I was staying with KDub prepping for the SX season and Yamaha flew him out to meet with Bob Hannah to kind of mentor him. Kevin came back and the first thing he said Hannah told him was "work now and you will be able to play later. Play now and you will have to work later." It must've stuck because KDub isn't working!
tuttle425
2/5/2021 8:15am
tuttle425 wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
The Notoriously Cheap guy that buys bikes for little kids...with his own money...?
Grinning
Cheap does not mean not generous. Dean himself says he's cheap.
RalphS
2/5/2021 8:15am
Webb Tomac Anderson and Roczen could retire tomorrow and never work again
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
2/5/2021 8:39am Edited Date/Time 2/5/2021 8:40am
RalphS wrote:
Webb Tomac Anderson and Roczen could retire tomorrow and never work again
Depends what they do with their money. I think that is probably a safe bet. But Allen Iverson reportedly squandered over $200 million. It might be easy for these guys to squander a couple million.

CJ Hadwin
2/5/2021 8:45am
tuttle425 wrote:

nskerb wrote:
I can totally see Anderson living in an apartment with a coffee table completely covered in empty cans and ash trays lol. Makes me miss college.
I mean, the dude lives in Pacific Beach, San Diego...which is basically where every frat boy/jock/college party kid in San Diego lives and parties. So your image is probably not THAT far off. lol
2/5/2021 10:10am
tuttle425 wrote:

nskerb wrote:
CJ Hadwin wrote:
I mean, the dude lives in Pacific Beach, San Diego...which is basically where every frat boy/jock/college party kid in San Diego lives and parties. So your...
I mean, the dude lives in Pacific Beach, San Diego...which is basically where every frat boy/jock/college party kid in San Diego lives and parties. So your image is probably not THAT far off. lol
I've said this about Bubba for years. He lives VERY large, and never made NBA, NFL or MLB type money. He was one of the highest paid ever, but once that stops coming in, and your stilling living super large, it can catch up to you.
2/5/2021 10:15am
nskerb wrote:
CJ Hadwin wrote:
I mean, the dude lives in Pacific Beach, San Diego...which is basically where every frat boy/jock/college party kid in San Diego lives and parties. So your...
I've said this about Bubba for years. He lives VERY large, and never made NBA, NFL or MLB type money. He was one of the highest...
I've said this about Bubba for years. He lives VERY large, and never made NBA, NFL or MLB type money. He was one of the highest paid ever, but once that stops coming in, and your stilling living super large, it can catch up to you.

https://sevenmx.com/

Bubba is doing ok
2/5/2021 10:21am
CJ Hadwin wrote:
I've said this about Bubba for years. He lives VERY large, and never made NBA, NFL or MLB type money. He was one of the highest...

https://sevenmx.com/

Bubba is doing ok
I dunno how Bubba is doing (surely better than most of us), but I really doubt Seven gear is a cash cow.
philG
2/5/2021 10:52am
nskerb wrote:
I would watch that show.
STLSharky
2/5/2021 10:55am
Why is it such a big secret what these guys make? What type of money does the average factory rider in 250 and 450 make? None...
Why is it such a big secret what these guys make? What type of money does the average factory rider in 250 and 450 make? None of my business, but the life styles they live and all the expenses seem they must be doing just fine.
Exactly, industry prob doesnt want negotiations to get harder, they dont wanna pay high salaries
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
2/5/2021 12:51pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2021 12:55pm
Top 10 make a living.. rest are doing it as a side job/hobby literally.. it is embarrassingly low, but lots of passion in our sport. Based on podcast interviews, it comes done to a base pay of anywhere from 45k - 100k for most, top riders it goes up substantially if they got results and agents. If they are hitting the million mark, factory rider with bonuses.. it's literally that simple.

Now unless you show up to your local races and can spank the pro class (say 15-20 riders) with ease every weekend, don't even bother consider it as a career.

Still interested, must win Loretta's in the top 2 spots..

Now that you have spent over 50k in your own money to reach amateur level pro, ok, now to pursue pro mx or sx. Now you need either a sponsor or/and equipment, tools, extra parts-engines, fuel, insurance, travel, time to practice full time. (stop your current job full time pretty much). Oh and you need to buy health supplement/recovery to help with building your endurance.

I think pro license, race entry, required rider insurance (Another $350) to enter a PRO race. So your all set.. now all you have to do is qualify to the main to make prize money.

Congratulations, you made it to the main and placed 20th. You get $1000 dollars in 250s, in 450s $2200.

If you qualified for every main, you could make in 17 race series $17k for the year and $38k for the year BEFORE ADDING UP ALL YOUR EXPENSES!

Fuggin scary right.. now as your HS career counselor, stop worrying about what they make and go out and ride for fun. Miracle we have people showing up to race. It's pretty much all about the glory.. LOL..

But if you make that path successfully, come back and prove us wrong.

diz330
2/5/2021 1:11pm
I would add Webb to the cheap list as well. Before he won his title he told himself if he won a race that year he’d buy himself a ford raptor. Apparently had an old beater pickup truck with roll up windows before that.
duckdog77
2/5/2021 1:35pm
My dad always told me “Its not about how much you make...it’s about how much you spend”
AC271
2/5/2021 1:39pm
Im always interested int his topic too. Dont really care what it take s to get there, etc... but once your there what are they making on top of the purse payout. ie- AJ cantazaro...

Post a reply to: Moto Salary

The Latest