Moto Photographer Lens Question

Martini_26
Fantasy
4249th
Any moto photographers have advice on how to clean a lens after a windy day at the track? I don't have weather-sealed lenses so every dusty gust of wind coats my lens in dust and I can see some on the inside glass as well. I have a lens blower and that works for the outside dust but what about the inside?
|
vincefriese
Fantasy
4157th
8/21/2022 7:49am
Make sure you have a UV filter on the front of the lens, or any other type of filter to protect the lens elements. All you can really do about the outside of the lens is make sure you have a weather sealed lens. I've seen lens sleeves out there though, but they don't look fun to use.
When you make it home, blow off the lens with an air compressor.
8/21/2022 8:01am
My brother is a professional photographer that follows the circuit, and I know that he makes frequent trips to and from the camera shop to get his equipment cleaned. I have a feeling that quite a bit of this service is best left to the professionals and not a DIY job.
8/21/2022 8:09am
I think it’s a good idea to get the sound barrier lense. Others crack when I,m wo in 4th or 5th trying to gap a 450.
hititpind
8/21/2022 8:09am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2022 8:14am
If it’s inside your glass, it has to be professionally cleaned. On the outside use some microfibers and an air compressor set on low.

It would be well worth your investment to buy some lenses that are sealed and add a UV glass filter on the end of them. If it rains, use a cheap $5 rain cover and you will be just fine.

The Shop

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
8/21/2022 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2022 7:01pm
My practice (at the end of the day) is to use air on the body and lens before dismounting that lens, with a wipe down with a wet cloth (not drenched, just damp to pick dirt and sweat up).

You can use compressed air with caution or something like a rocket bulb, which is a bit gentler and probably less likely to push dirt into the lens or body.

I focus on the lens mount and ports (principally the card door), trying to blow away from the mount or port, which would be especially critical if your lenses are not weather sealed (unlike, for instance, the Canon L lens family). To do this I don't blast straight on to the edge, but keep the air flow as close to parallel to area to blow dirt away instead of against.

I'll also use a fine brush to flick stuff away (again, avoiding pushing it in). I'll air blow and brush with a fine brush the lens glass before a microfibre cloth or fluid touches it. A UV filter can protect some against impact damage or mud scratching the actual lens glass, but to me it's less about dust. A fair few shooters forgo filters to not compromise image quality; I've not noticed a big difference.

I do the same with the other lenses I've used during the day, but obviously not then mounted.
debun
Fantasy
21st
8/21/2022 2:20pm
I have a UV filter and lens hood to protect the glass, and wipe the body down with a damp microfiber cloth. To clean the actual glass I use zeiss lens wipes.
8/21/2022 3:00pm
Don't worry about the dust inside unless it affects IQ which is very unlikely for shooting moto. You can always pay the manufacturer to clean it if you want but it's usually not necessary unless you plan on selling it. You might have one of the lenses referred to as a "dust sucker" which are notorious for internal dust, but you didn't mention what lens you are using.

Dust on the sensor is problem if you are shooting DSLR. That can be a pain to deal with and it's risky to clean the sensor by yourself.
Martini_26
Fantasy
4249th
8/21/2022 6:55pm
My practice (at the end of the day) is to use air on the body and lens before dismounting that lens, with a wipe down with...
My practice (at the end of the day) is to use air on the body and lens before dismounting that lens, with a wipe down with a wet cloth (not drenched, just damp to pick dirt and sweat up).

You can use compressed air with caution or something like a rocket bulb, which is a bit gentler and probably less likely to push dirt into the lens or body.

I focus on the lens mount and ports (principally the card door), trying to blow away from the mount or port, which would be especially critical if your lenses are not weather sealed (unlike, for instance, the Canon L lens family). To do this I don't blast straight on to the edge, but keep the air flow as close to parallel to area to blow dirt away instead of against.

I'll also use a fine brush to flick stuff away (again, avoiding pushing it in). I'll air blow and brush with a fine brush the lens glass before a microfibre cloth or fluid touches it. A UV filter can protect some against impact damage or mud scratching the actual lens glass, but to me it's less about dust. A fair few shooters forgo filters to not compromise image quality; I've not noticed a big difference.

I do the same with the other lenses I've used during the day, but obviously not then mounted.
I'll wipe it down and use my air rocket. I did a quick blow at the track but I'll go in-depth tonight. Thanks.

Post a reply to: Moto Photographer Lens Question

The Latest