Moto GP riding styles

TerryK
10/11/2010 8:53am
Rdracer598 wrote:
Rear brakes aren't used for trail braking.The front brake is. Running out of slipper clutch? Do you even ride a roadrace bike? You can get the...
Rear brakes aren't used for trail braking.The front brake is. Running out of slipper clutch? Do you even ride a roadrace bike? You can get the bike sideways by taping the rear brake or downshifting and letting the clutch out slowly. It's usually done to help setup entry just like steering the raer out coming out of turns.

Can't wait for GP to go back to the big bikes. They need to ditch Traction control to!
Interesting how so many people say I'm wrong but none of them have any road racing experience. I spent five years as a crew chief for an AMA pro road racer and I can assure these folks that indeed, road racers do use the rear brake. What these guys are missing is that not every corner is the same and not every approach is the same. Some corner entries a rider will use rear brakes, some they wont. Some eve use the rear brake under acceleration to settle the bike down if it's squirming hard.

My rider was very aggressive on the brakes and I had to replace the rear pads every two races.
Rdracer598
10/11/2010 9:45am
Rdracer598 wrote:
Rear brakes aren't used for trail braking.The front brake is. Running out of slipper clutch? Do you even ride a roadrace bike? You can get the...
Rear brakes aren't used for trail braking.The front brake is. Running out of slipper clutch? Do you even ride a roadrace bike? You can get the bike sideways by taping the rear brake or downshifting and letting the clutch out slowly. It's usually done to help setup entry just like steering the raer out coming out of turns.

Can't wait for GP to go back to the big bikes. They need to ditch Traction control to!
TerryK wrote:
Interesting how so many people say I'm wrong but none of them have any road racing experience. I spent five years as a crew chief for...
Interesting how so many people say I'm wrong but none of them have any road racing experience. I spent five years as a crew chief for an AMA pro road racer and I can assure these folks that indeed, road racers do use the rear brake. What these guys are missing is that not every corner is the same and not every approach is the same. Some corner entries a rider will use rear brakes, some they wont. Some eve use the rear brake under acceleration to settle the bike down if it's squirming hard.

My rider was very aggressive on the brakes and I had to replace the rear pads every two races.
I also was aggressive on brakes but it was on the front. I only used the rear for setup on entry and to help on exit when needed. Your right though it's different depending on the track. At Barber I would have to use the rear into 5 coming downhill that turn always messed with me and I carried to much speed into it. Can't remember any other places right now.

Who did you crew for?

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
10/11/2010 9:55am
Rdracer598 wrote:

TerryK wrote:
Interesting how so many people say I'm wrong but none of them have any road racing experience. I spent five years as a crew chief for...

Some corner entries a rider will use rear brakes, some they wont. Some eve use the rear brake under acceleration to settle the bike down if it's squirming hard.

This is all correct.

Also every rider is a little different, some use it some don't.

I Road Raced nearly every weekend for five years, even a few nationals. I would use it rarely, mostly on acceleration and twice to crash purposely to avoid fast approaching tire walls.
wow123
10/11/2010 10:07am
Watching Sepang it was very prevalent.
Shifting weight and probably with Rossi now more than ever, his recent broken leg!

The Shop

Post a reply to: Moto GP riding styles

The Latest