Most wins without a championship

just James
3/18/2018 8:23am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2018 9:45am
I wonder who currently holds that record.
Maybe that's the one ET is going for.
Could it be that when he retires, he will have racked up over 100 individual supercross wins without a single championship?
He's got a pretty solid start.
|
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/18/2018 8:30am
Not sure of that stat but this series is not over. With riders dropping like flies Anderson is 1 DNF away from having a battle in his hands. I’m penciling Tomac in for sweeping the remainder of the rounds, he is currently so far in front of everyone else it’s ridiculous and Anderson is very capable of having off nights
Ted722
3/18/2018 8:39am
He tied Windham last night with 18. The "leader" Bradshaw is next up with 19. That is rarefied air!

Jeff Stanton has (3) SX championships with less (17) wins than Bradshaw or KDub (and now Tomac).

100 wins for Eli without a championship? Nah. The window's closing as they say though.

http://www.rockhiker.com/MxBob/AllTimeAMAWins.htm
H4L
3/18/2018 8:47am
That's crazy talk ! 100 wins ?
MC the King of Supercross has 72 wins I believe. To achieve 100 wins he would have to average 10 wins / yr. over a 10 yr. span. Those #'s don't seem realistic since the game has changed with the new track designs due to the thumpers. It's not easy for these guys to stay healthy for a long period of time on the bikes in modern SX racing.

On a serious note I believe ET3 will capture a 450 SX championship title or 2 before he decides to hang up his boots & helmet.
BobPA
3/18/2018 8:52am
KennyT wrote:
Not sure of that stat but this series is not over. With riders dropping like flies Anderson is 1 DNF away from having a battle in...
Not sure of that stat but this series is not over. With riders dropping like flies Anderson is 1 DNF away from having a battle in his hands. I’m penciling Tomac in for sweeping the remainder of the rounds, he is currently so far in front of everyone else it’s ridiculous and Anderson is very capable of having off nights
So far in front of everyone? I thought he was 60 points back...One win and the goofballs are coming out from their parents basements. You realize he has 5 wins to Anderson’s 4?

The Shop

just James
3/18/2018 8:53am
H4L wrote:
That's crazy talk ! 100 wins ? MC the King of Supercross has 72 wins I believe. To achieve 100 wins he would have to average...
MC the King of Supercross has 72 wins I believe. To achieve 100 wins he would have to average 10 wins / yr. over a 10 yr. span. Those #'s don't seem realistic since the game has changed with the new track designs due to the thumpers. It's not easy for these guys to stay healthy for a long period of time on the bikes in modern SX racing.

On a serious note I believe ET3 will capture a 450 SX championship title or 2 before he decides to hang up his boots & helmet.
Yeah, 100 without a single championship is probably not realistic. I was just throwing out a number.
St Ann More
3/18/2018 8:56am
H4L wrote:
That's crazy talk ! 100 wins ? MC the King of Supercross has 72 wins I believe. To achieve 100 wins he would have to average...

just James wrote:
Yeah, 100 without a single championship is probably not realistic. I was just throwing out a number.
You're right, 100 SX wins without a single championship is not realistic.

Eli getting 100 SX wins is also not realistic.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/18/2018 9:02am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2018 9:03am
KennyT wrote:
Not sure of that stat but this series is not over. With riders dropping like flies Anderson is 1 DNF away from having a battle in...
BobPA wrote:
So far in front of everyone? I thought he was 60 points back...One win and the goofballs are coming out from their parents basements. You realize...
So far in front of everyone? I thought he was 60 points back...One win and the goofballs are coming out from their parents basements. You realize he has 5 wins to Anderson’s 4?
Speed wise...obviously not points. 1 Anderson DNF is not being unrealistic the way riders are dropping weekly. That is a 26 points swing right there. I’m sure Jason is not going to feel secure with this title until he wraps it up. Tomac is obviously the fastest rider on the track at this point and there’s a pretty good chance he doesn’t get beat the rest of the year

BTW I’m 58...been outta the basement for awhile now Smile
just James
3/18/2018 9:14am
KennyT wrote:
BobPA wrote:
So far in front of everyone? I thought he was 60 points back...One win and the goofballs are coming out from their parents basements. You realize...
KennyT wrote:
Speed wise...obviously not points. 1 Anderson DNF is not being unrealistic the way riders are dropping weekly. That is a 26 points swing right there. I’m...
Speed wise...obviously not points. 1 Anderson DNF is not being unrealistic the way riders are dropping weekly. That is a 26 points swing right there. I’m sure Jason is not going to feel secure with this title until he wraps it up. Tomac is obviously the fastest rider on the track at this point and there’s a pretty good chance he doesn’t get beat the rest of the year

I think that Tomac has JA covered speed wise right now, but we don't really know by how much. It would be stupid of Anderson to challenge Tomac at this point.
dirtnapper
3/18/2018 9:16am
Two things:

Eli will NOT win out in this series.
Eli will NOT ( EVER ) win 100 SX races.
BobPA
3/18/2018 9:19am
KennyT wrote:
BobPA wrote:
KennyT wrote:
Speed wise...obviously not points. 1 Anderson DNF is not being unrealistic the way riders are dropping weekly. That is a 26 points swing right there. I’m...

I don’t think anyone has anything for “no pressure” Tomac. It’s crazy how two weeks ago, in Atlanta, he was passed by Moosecan and looked mediocre (for him anyway). Then the next two weeks he flat out destroys everyone, speed-wise. I thought he would go nearly undefeated in SX this year...
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
3/18/2018 10:57am
BobPA wrote:
I don’t think anyone has anything for “no pressure” Tomac. It’s crazy how two weeks ago, in Atlanta, he was passed by Moosecan and looked mediocre...
I don’t think anyone has anything for “no pressure” Tomac. It’s crazy how two weeks ago, in Atlanta, he was passed by Moosecan and looked mediocre (for him anyway). Then the next two weeks he flat out destroys everyone, speed-wise. I thought he would go nearly undefeated in SX this year...
I don’t think it is pressure, I think Eli just isn’t willing to ride the edge when he isn’t comfortable and riding the edge is usually what’s required to be up front. He’s always been this way though so it shouldn’t be surprising to anyone. The guy is unreal when he is comfortable though. He isn’t James Stewart, Bubba would always ride the edge, but the career trajectory seems very similar.
dimetime
3/18/2018 11:08am
BobPA wrote:
KennyT wrote:

just James wrote:
I think that Tomac has JA covered speed wise right now, but we don't really know by how much. It would be stupid of Anderson to...
I think that Tomac has JA covered speed wise right now, but we don't really know by how much. It would be stupid of Anderson to challenge Tomac at this point.
Just James nailed it.

Can't believe you all can't wrap your head around this fact.

And to all the other fools looking for a change in points to make Eli a contender how come we can't go the other way? Once you're more than say 30 points down you only get half the allotted points since you are now simply in the way and screwing up the championship race.

Sound fucking stupid? Because it is. Just like trying to rig the game for your favorite rider because you feel bad. Everyone knows what it takes to win the championship and they're all even at A1.
BobbyM
3/18/2018 12:48pm
BobPA wrote:
I don’t think anyone has anything for “no pressure” Tomac. It’s crazy how two weeks ago, in Atlanta, he was passed by Moosecan and looked mediocre...
731chopper wrote:
I don’t think it is pressure, I think Eli just isn’t willing to ride the edge when he isn’t comfortable and riding the edge is usually...
I don’t think it is pressure, I think Eli just isn’t willing to ride the edge when he isn’t comfortable and riding the edge is usually what’s required to be up front. He’s always been this way though so it shouldn’t be surprising to anyone. The guy is unreal when he is comfortable though. He isn’t James Stewart, Bubba would always ride the edge, but the career trajectory seems very similar.
No pressure just expectations, then too much pressure for him
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/18/2018 1:18pm
BobPA wrote:
KennyT wrote:

BobPA wrote:
Well he is the hardest rider to figure out. I’m not a big fan of his due to his inconsistency. It’s why you have champions like MC, Dungey, Villopoto etc who’s bad nights are 3, 4ths. Tomacs bad nights are tipping over and finishing 20th

But it wouldn’t surprise me to see him win out due to the fact there is no pressure, which seems to be when he thrives
cwtoyota
3/18/2018 2:25pm
KennyT wrote:

BobPA wrote:
KennyT wrote:
Well he is the hardest rider to figure out. I’m not a big fan of his due to his inconsistency. It’s why you have champions like...
Well he is the hardest rider to figure out. I’m not a big fan of his due to his inconsistency. It’s why you have champions like MC, Dungey, Villopoto etc who’s bad nights are 3, 4ths. Tomacs bad nights are tipping over and finishing 20th

But it wouldn’t surprise me to see him win out due to the fact there is no pressure, which seems to be when he thrives
In those "bad nights" for the group of guys you mentioned, they only lost big points when it was out of their hands.
Examples: RV with an exhaust packed full of dirt = DNF. Dungey "ran out of gas" or broke a chain = DNF. etc.

Even when those guys hit the deck, somehow they always got back up and pushed VERY hard to get back into the points against all odds.

Tomac did that at Daytona last week. That was an impressive ride!

Often when he has trouble, he pulls it into the pits and calls it a night.
Is it luck, Is Eli injured severely?
Were those other guys better at landing on their feet, or more durable when things go wrong?
Does Eli just decide he can't perform at his best with shoulder-pain or other pain and give up for the night?

I'm not suggesting answers. I'm asking the questions I think when I watch this guy each season.
King KTM
3/18/2018 2:31pm
H4L wrote:

X2 and Double that if he can go a full season without a stupid little mistake. When he is on his game he is in a class of his own.
3/18/2018 3:26pm
BobPA wrote:
KennyT wrote:
Well he is the hardest rider to figure out. I’m not a big fan of his due to his inconsistency. It’s why you have champions like...

cwtoyota wrote:
In those "bad nights" for the group of guys you mentioned, they only lost big points when it was out of their hands. Examples: RV with...
In those "bad nights" for the group of guys you mentioned, they only lost big points when it was out of their hands.
Examples: RV with an exhaust packed full of dirt = DNF. Dungey "ran out of gas" or broke a chain = DNF. etc.

Even when those guys hit the deck, somehow they always got back up and pushed VERY hard to get back into the points against all odds.

Tomac did that at Daytona last week. That was an impressive ride!

Often when he has trouble, he pulls it into the pits and calls it a night.
Is it luck, Is Eli injured severely?
Were those other guys better at landing on their feet, or more durable when things go wrong?
Does Eli just decide he can't perform at his best with shoulder-pain or other pain and give up for the night?

I'm not suggesting answers. I'm asking the questions I think when I watch this guy each season.
Aside from the two examples this year, when has he ever pulled into the pits and called it a night when he has trouble? I would hardly say two incidents counts as "often".
cwtoyota
3/18/2018 3:51pm
2 races out of 11 is 18 percent of the main events this year.

That's too often to win the title in my opinion.
kkawboy14
3/18/2018 6:57pm
100 wins X $300,000= $30,000,000

I could live with that even if I never got the championship!
cable
3/18/2018 7:26pm
bradshaw 1992 9 wins. results- 4,1,1,1,1,1,2,6,19,4,1,1,9,1,1,5.
Samuel
3/18/2018 7:42pm
Didn't Eli have 9 wins last year? I think he and Bradshaw are tied for most wins without a title. I may be wrong on that though.
TDeath21
3/18/2018 8:23pm
As long as there are people on or close to his pace, I don’t think he will ever win a SX championship.
just James
4/12/2018 5:37pm
He is tied for the lead at this point, I believe.
I guess that if he wins on Saturday, he will have the title.
drt410
4/12/2018 5:53pm
He got his mx championship, I bet he gets an SX one as well. Hes clearly faster than anderson and this year has been bad, he still beats Anderson every time he stays up, has more wins, but the year he lost to Dungey he took over the points lead at one point. This year has been much worse for him, but if he almost beat Dungey after a DNF I think he can definitely beat these guys in the near future. He just has to back it down a little bit when needed and also HAS to get back up and finish races at all costs. Kenny's body is so banged up that its gonna take him a while to get back to top form and I think Eli will still be the fastest all out speed guy next year. Musquin in my eyes is his biggest threat not Ando, ando had Musquin and Eli both DNF very early throwing their seasons off course from the start. Ando better win this year because Marvin and Eli are faster and Cooper webb has been gettin better every week and thats what he does, he consistently gets better until he starts winning a lot. Coopers 250 career and Andersons arent even close so Coop definitely has it in him and if he switches bikes I could definitely see it sooner than later.
agn5009
4/12/2018 6:13pm
KennyT wrote:
I thought Anderson has been pretty darn consistent since entering the 450 class. I don't know if he's missed any races. And I don't recall too many terrible races. Obviously anything can happen but I don't think Anderson has many off nights. Especially with this field of riders. Realistically only Tomac and musquin have the speed to beat Anderson consistently. Even when Anderson gets a bad start or has a small crash he will most likely make it up into the top 5.
Kyle_McNab
4/13/2018 4:06am
Pretty lame of you guys to discredit Anderson this year. He earned it 100% . He went 2-1 at the first two races. Other than Daytona he’s atleast been on the podium or 4th at worst. Sure on paper Eli should be winning but he blew it just like last year.
King KTM
4/13/2018 4:16am
If Anderson was 5 or 10 points down to Eli the conversation would be holy shit did you see that pass Anderson put on Eli for the win. He is riding to win a championship not every race like Eli is.
kb228
4/13/2018 4:20am
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Pretty lame of you guys to discredit Anderson this year. He earned it 100% . He went 2-1 at the first two races. Other than Daytona...
Pretty lame of you guys to discredit Anderson this year. He earned it 100% . He went 2-1 at the first two races. Other than Daytona he’s atleast been on the podium or 4th at worst. Sure on paper Eli should be winning but he blew it just like last year.
Remember the reason Anderson is where he is is because of other riders getting injured. not because he dominates.
Melicar
4/13/2018 4:32am
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Pretty lame of you guys to discredit Anderson this year. He earned it 100% . He went 2-1 at the first two races. Other than Daytona...
kb228 wrote:
Remember the reason Anderson is where he is is because of other riders getting injured. not because he dominates.
Ah yes, much ty!

BobPA
4/13/2018 5:48am
Kyle_McNab wrote:
kb228 wrote:
and the dumb dumb award goes to........this guy.

Post a reply to: Most wins without a championship

The Latest