Most well rounded riders

9/13/2017 8:47pm
I wonder if zach bell can make the list in the years to come. He adapted to off road really quick
josh8811
9/13/2017 9:27pm
Titan1 wrote:
KC66, all time, would have to be one of the most well-rounded. He qualified for an MX national...multi-time Hare and Hound Champ, WORC champ, Dakar stage...
KC66, all time, would have to be one of the most well-rounded. He qualified for an MX national...multi-time Hare and Hound Champ, WORC champ, Dakar stage winner, ISDE stage winner, GNCC winner, Baja winner. That's a solid and diverse resume.

If we are talking current riders...guys like, Sipes, ZO, Taylor Robert...but I'd say Taylor Robert at the moment...MX/SX is such a small corner of the industry (be it the PEAK of the industry), and Taylor has won at enduro, WORC, Hare and Hound, Hare Scramble, ISDE, BITD, Baja as well as qualified for national MX.

Sipes and ZO have done very well in MX/SX...and ISDE (especially Sipes)...but I'm not sure if they could show up at a NHHA and win on their first try (like Robert did)...or how they'd do at BITD or Baja...

Now...my only disclaimer is I think the dirt bike riders with the highest talent ceiling and work ethic end up in mx/sx...that is where the most money and fame are, so-with few exceptions-the best of the best end up there. So if you were to take ANY of the top 10 in MX/SX and if they were to focus on any off-road discipline (from NHHA's, to hard enduro) they have the talent and drive to win races and titles...that's just the way it is.
Well said!
wardy
9/13/2017 9:42pm
it's really a shame that some big fancy promoter would understand the value of a rider or riders that would do a muli-type series and make it a big deal.

a rider that could do well in 5-8 types of racing to me, would be a much bigger prize then one type of racing.

mx, sx, hs, end, trials, Dt, TT, hillclimb etc a true series of races and the best overall rider wins.

??
ccullins76
9/13/2017 10:39pm
It really all depends on how your scoring it.

No MX guy could even ride pro trials. IMO no MX guy would make an Endurocross main event. None would finish a hard enduro.

No pro Trials rider could qualify for a outdoor national or supercross night show. Or even race the pro class at a GNCC or other off-road race.

In the end I would have to go with Taylor Robert. He can win desert Hare & Hound, Worcs, Endurocross, extreme enduro and also win the overall at the ISDE. He's a pro motocrosser who could qualify for a outdoor national and with a little practice I'm sure he could make a supercross night show. On top of that I've seen him ride s national trials, while not a pro he is up in a higher class and could beat most other riders going for this title.

The Shop

ruy
9/14/2017 5:05am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2017 5:06am

Alfredo Gomez, is doing very well in Trial, Enduro and Motocross, you can see him in this video where he trains all disciplines, he has also participated in races of all disciplines, now now only to train, because internationally is focused in Hard Enduro and Super Enduro.
nightmaier
9/14/2017 5:54am
Kailub Russel, trains at the bakers factory, current gncc points leader/ past champ, Part of the winning USA ISDE team. He can make it happen on a dirt bike
agn5009
9/14/2017 6:25am
ccullins76 wrote:
It really all depends on how your scoring it. No MX guy could even ride pro trials. IMO no MX guy would make an Endurocross main...

No MX guy could even ride pro trials. IMO no MX guy would make an Endurocross main event. None would finish a hard enduro.

No pro Trials rider could qualify for a outdoor national or supercross night show. Or even race the pro class at a GNCC or other off-road race.

In the end I would have to go with Taylor Robert. He can win desert Hare & Hound, Worcs, Endurocross, extreme enduro and also win the overall at the ISDE. He's a pro motocrosser who could qualify for a outdoor national and with a little practice I'm sure he could make a supercross night show. On top of that I've seen him ride s national trials, while not a pro he is up in a higher class and could beat most other riders going for this title.

Alex Ray just qualified for an endurocross. He has no background in off-road at all. I would bet a years worth of my wages that one of the top guys would qualify and do pretty well at endurocross. Especially Osbourne and Plessinger since they have extensive off-road backgrounds.

There is a reason why when MX guys (especially east coast guys) convert to off-road they typically do well. I won't go into it, but it's amazing how off-road guys ignore it. Oh, and I'm an off-road guy through and through.
ccullins76
9/14/2017 7:44am
ccullins76 wrote:
It really all depends on how your scoring it. No MX guy could even ride pro trials. IMO no MX guy would make an Endurocross main...

agn5009 wrote:
Alex Ray just qualified for an endurocross. He has no background in off-road at all. I would bet a years worth of my wages that one...
Alex Ray just qualified for an endurocross. He has no background in off-road at all. I would bet a years worth of my wages that one of the top guys would qualify and do pretty well at endurocross. Especially Osbourne and Plessinger since they have extensive off-road backgrounds.

There is a reason why when MX guys (especially east coast guys) convert to off-road they typically do well. I won't go into it, but it's amazing how off-road guys ignore it. Oh, and I'm an off-road guy through and through.
Alex didn't come close to making the main pro main event. He got lapped in the first qualifier.
Just so you know my perspective, my son is a pro endurocross racer and and top level national expert Trials rider.

Endurocross is way different than any other discipline (same with hard Enduro) Guys like Kalib Russel and Ricky Russel have tried it and don't make the main events. On the flip side my son can finish in the top 10 pro ex, but only races the expert class in off-road races, he doesn't have pro speed. That's what is so impressive about Taylor Robert. He's the only guy who can legitimately win any off-road race as well as EX.
Monk
9/14/2017 7:53am
ccullins76 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
Alex Ray just qualified for an endurocross. He has no background in off-road at all. I would bet a years worth of my wages that one...

ccullins76 wrote:
Alex didn't come close to making the main pro main event. He got lapped in the first qualifier. Just so you know my perspective, my son...
Alex didn't come close to making the main pro main event. He got lapped in the first qualifier.
Just so you know my perspective, my son is a pro endurocross racer and and top level national expert Trials rider.

Endurocross is way different than any other discipline (same with hard Enduro) Guys like Kalib Russel and Ricky Russel have tried it and don't make the main events. On the flip side my son can finish in the top 10 pro ex, but only races the expert class in off-road races, he doesn't have pro speed. That's what is so impressive about Taylor Robert. He's the only guy who can legitimately win any off-road race as well as EX.
That's why I think David Knight should be mentioned...EX champion, hard enduro champion, GNCC champion 2x, WEC champion 3x, 6D champion, etc. The guys resume is impressive...
agn5009
9/14/2017 8:02am
ccullins76 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

ccullins76 wrote:
Alex didn't come close to making the main pro main event. He got lapped in the first qualifier. Just so you know my perspective, my son...

I could have sworn Alex was in the main event. I can agree with Taylor Robert being one of the best. I just have a hard time believing he would qualify for a 450 MX race right now and an even harder time believing he would qualify for a 450 SX race. If you take the disciplines the original poster listed I don't see how anyone could argue anyone is better well rounded than Osbourn or Plessinger. Again, both could win any given MX or SX race. Both could podium to top 10 at worst any GNCC. Both could do very well in supermoto. Both could win or do extremely well in sprint enduro. Literally the only 2 disciplines they wouldn't do better than Taylor in is extreme enduro and endurocross.

And no, I'm not counting trials. We're talking about the best rounded dirt bike rider here. I'm not sure why trials is even being brought into it. It's not a dirt bike, not even close actually. Just because it has 2 wheels and an engine it doesn't mean we need to bring it into the equation. No one is bringing sport bikes into it so no need for trials.
9/14/2017 8:22am
I wouldn't see them doing better than Taylor Robert in HH or WORCS right away. WORCS would probably take them a few races, HH would take a while honestly
agn5009
9/14/2017 8:33am
I wouldn't see them doing better than Taylor Robert in HH or WORCS right away. WORCS would probably take them a few races, HH would take...
I wouldn't see them doing better than Taylor Robert in HH or WORCS right away. WORCS would probably take them a few races, HH would take a while honestly
It would take some time, obviously. But they would be much more competitive in those races than Taylor would be in SX or MX. I hate to sound like I'm cutting Taylor down (or any other riders listed) because he's an absolutely amazing rider.
9/14/2017 8:43am
Don't forget Jake Gagne; factory Yamaha roadracer qualified for 450 national at Utah. Yes, I know, manmade track, but he's also a decent flat tracker. Not saying he is the most well rounded, however, two completely opposite disciplines.

Andrew Short has started riding enduros and has said he wants to eventually ride Dakar-type rally races. Be fun to watch the next couple of years.
LungButter
9/14/2017 8:51am
Taylor would 100% qualify for a 450 National. Any 450 national, any time.

He was a fully supported Honda of Houston Amateur MX guy before a major back injury. He started in off road for fun and is now one of the best riders in the world.

He can also do a backflip....
Titan1
9/14/2017 8:52am
Don't forget Jake Gagne; factory Yamaha roadracer qualified for 450 national at Utah. Yes, I know, manmade track, but he's also a decent flat tracker. Not...
Don't forget Jake Gagne; factory Yamaha roadracer qualified for 450 national at Utah. Yes, I know, manmade track, but he's also a decent flat tracker. Not saying he is the most well rounded, however, two completely opposite disciplines.

Andrew Short has started riding enduros and has said he wants to eventually ride Dakar-type rally races. Be fun to watch the next couple of years.
Like I said earlier...the cream of the crop in terms of dirt bike talent-with a few exceptions-end up racing pro mx/sx. So if Andrew wants to do rally races...and applies himself...I have no doubt he'll do very very well at it. And I'd love to see it. It was a blast watching KC66 do so well, and now watching Ricky Brabec doing well in them...so I'd love to see Short out there too.
Titan1
9/14/2017 9:01am
LungButter wrote:
Taylor would 100% qualify for a 450 National. Any 450 national, any time. He was a fully supported Honda of Houston Amateur MX guy before a...
Taylor would 100% qualify for a 450 National. Any 450 national, any time.

He was a fully supported Honda of Houston Amateur MX guy before a major back injury. He started in off road for fun and is now one of the best riders in the world.

He can also do a backflip....
Taylor is a bad dude on a dirt bike...pick any five dirt bike disciplines (Sprint Enduro, MX, Hare and Hound, GNCC, hard enduro)...and any 40 riders...and I'd bet he'd win the "overall". He may not win every race...but he'd be consistent enough in all of them to pull off the overall win.

I'm so pumped to have him racing the National Hare and Hounds this year...the series took a huge blow when KC66 passed away...Taylor is giving it that extra boost...
9/14/2017 10:40am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2017 11:34am
Billy Bolt is one of the most talented riders out there, I've known, coached and competed against him for as long as he's been riding and there's no one else who comes close to his natural spontaneous
ability.... Very pastrana like.

Anyway, why is a trials bike not a dirt bike? A trials bike would be quickest across any rough terrain other than a full on mx track. In fact, I could run with most of the B's on my trials bike
kkawboy14
9/14/2017 12:29pm
I'll go with Herlings.....that beach race he won made me a believer. That guy just attacks anything in front of him!
agn5009
9/14/2017 1:41pm
Billy Bolt is one of the most talented riders out there, I've known, coached and competed against him for as long as he's been riding and...
Billy Bolt is one of the most talented riders out there, I've known, coached and competed against him for as long as he's been riding and there's no one else who comes close to his natural spontaneous

Anyway, why is a trials bike not a dirt bike? A trials bike would be quickest across any rough terrain other than a full on mx track. In fact, I could run with most of the B's on my trials bike
A trials bike is not a dirt bike. If you need confirmation, it says it right in the name trials bike
9/14/2017 2:17pm
Billy Bolt is one of the most talented riders out there, I've known, coached and competed against him for as long as he's been riding and...

agn5009 wrote:
A trials bike is not a dirt bike. If you need confirmation, it says it right in the name trials bike
Search "definition of a dirt bike". A mx bike is a TYPE of dirt bike as is a trials bike, along with many others.
MohMoto14
9/14/2017 3:05pm

agn5009 wrote:
Search "definition of a dirt bike". A mx bike is a TYPE of dirt bike as is a trials bike, along with many others.
I can't imagine how one wouldn't think of it as a dirt bike?
Mit12
9/14/2017 3:22pm
imoto34 wrote:
RC is pretty well rounded.
Especially since he retired. Lol
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/14/2017 3:40pm
Not a big name down south but up here he's pretty popular. Tyler Medaglia.

2x 250 Canadian champ, 1x AMA Lites West AX Champion, has put in good results down south in both MX & SX (Top 20). Raced 3 GNCC races in 2016 in the XC1 Pro class and his results were 7th, 16th and 7th.

He just got done representing Canada at the Six Days ISDE in France and he's now going to represent our country for the 6th time at MXdN. He's the first guy in history to be chosen to represent his country at both events.

I'd say he's pretty well rounded.
BobbyM
9/14/2017 6:06pm
MohMoto14 wrote:
Rodney smith- 3rd in the 1988 250cc mxgp points. 5 time gncc champ.

Colton haaker qualified for a few nationals around 2010 I believe.
MHOF

Post a reply to: Most well rounded riders

The Latest