Most injury-free riders in history?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/4/2020 6:58 AM

It takes a special rider to have a long career without too many injuries. Skill and risk management need to be supreme. We all know it's a game of luck sometimes but who because of how they've managed to ride have been some of the least injured riders in the sport?

Tomac has had a good run. Dungey definitely comes to mind. RC. Jeff Ward? Mike Larocco? Hannah? Jeremy McGrath?

|

3/4/2020 7:20 AM

Out of the current riders Jeremy Seewer and Justin Brayton maybe?

|

3/4/2020 7:26 AM

Fred Vialle, Tom's dad. He was a fierce competitor in the 90's and early 2000's, fighting for GP podiums and never had a broken bones. Amazing. Especially with his wild riding style.

|

3/4/2020 7:28 AM

str8line wrote:

It takes a special rider to have a long career without too many injuries. Skill and risk management need to be supreme. We all know it's a game of luck sometimes but who because of how they've managed to ride have been some of the least injured riders in the sport?

Tomac has had a good run. Dungey definitely comes to mind. RC. Jeff Ward? Mike Larocco? Hannah? Jeremy McGrath?

If you exclude the season Tomac lost to double shoulder blowouts. I'm not sure I would have him on this list.

|

3/4/2020 7:35 AM

Jeremy McGrath

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

3/4/2020 7:39 AM

Kevin Windham

|

3/4/2020 7:40 AM

I feel like Jeff Ward and Jeremy McGrath are good answers. I do not remember either of them getting injured though I very well may be wrong.

|

3/4/2020 7:53 AM

ga_pike wrote:

I feel like Jeff Ward and Jeremy McGrath are good answers. I do not remember either of them getting injured though I very well may be wrong.

Good picks, along with Windham,too. It's a very thought provoking question Str8line .Every championship contender I thought of had been banged up and missed parts of seasons. A related Part 2 of your question could be to differentiate and track the percentages of "race missing" or season ending injuries between SX and outdoor Nats . I'm betting the difference is staggering

|

3/4/2020 8:00 AM

Racer111 wrote:

Jeremy McGrath

this is the correct answer...... during the majority of his title runs he was amazingly injury free... he had a few little things here and there... but the true genius of his riding was keeping it upright and out of trouble...

I remember back around 99'ish at an SX in texas when he tipped over in practice and people started freaking out... just MC tipping over was odd to see back then...... he was nearly always the picture of perfection... and he never got into knock down drag outs with anyone... getting into people Always costs time (not to mention the chance of injury), MC simply knew better....

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

3/4/2020 8:03 AM

ga_pike wrote:

didn't Jeremy break his wrist outdoors at some point?

|

3/4/2020 8:06 AM

ga_pike wrote:

SethGator wrote:

didn't Jeremy break his wrist outdoors at some point?

I recall he tweaked his foot I thought during the outdoor series. That was the year it came down to the final moto between him and Emig. Had he not hurt himself a few weeks previously to that it was looking like it would be his title. But that injury definitely cost him points, and ultimately the outdoor championship that year.

|

3/4/2020 8:07 AM

Dungey was pretty solid

Photo

|

3/4/2020 8:09 AM

Jeremy's knee(s) may disagree with some of you laughing

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

3/4/2020 8:10 AM

considering how much he won and how dominate/aggressive he was..RC is the king of this, IMO.

he only missed one season i believe.

|

3/4/2020 8:14 AM

vtec wrote:

considering how much he won and how dominate/aggressive he was..RC is the king of this, IMO.

Missed a lot of 99 SX and missed the entirety of 04 SX. Other than that just 06 Glen Helen and 06 MXoN.

|

3/4/2020 8:16 AM

Jeremy got his heel cut badly at a restaurant or something like that on broken glass. He was definitely on the lower percentage of injuries though.

Windham broke his femur at Atlanta one year in practice and missed a lot of racing.

I don't remember Emig missing a lot due to injury after he moved to 250s.

I'd bet quite a few guys who were not necessarily top three to top five guys week in and week out made it through. I've always found it interesting to see how the first real injury affects riders and their aggressiveness on the track.

|

3/4/2020 8:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2020 8:27 AM

MC is a good answer, but he did break his lower leg in 91 or 92, and his femur and C-7 towards the end of his career. Nobody gets out of this sport unscathed!

|

3/4/2020 8:27 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

Seewer’s record is astonishing really. Valkenswaard will be his 112th consecutive GP appearance. Crazy, especially when you consider he’s had a few big crashes in that time

|

3/4/2020 8:48 AM

vtec wrote:

Hard to be the King of injury free when McGrath raced longer and never missed a season.

Windham broke his femur in 2002 and missed the rest of the SX and MX season. He also missed the first few rounds of 2006 with a broken arm.

|

3/4/2020 8:49 AM

dirtworldmx wrote:

MC is a good answer, but he did break his lower leg in 91 or 92, and his femur and C-7 towards the end of his career. Nobody gets out of this sport unscathed!

Jeremy never broke a femur and he hurt his neck in 2007 at his invitational AFTER he was retired.

|

3/4/2020 9:08 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

RG1 wrote:

Seewer’s record is astonishing really. Valkenswaard will be his 112th consecutive GP appearance. Crazy, especially when you consider he’s had a few big crashes in that time

If I remember correctly, he has not missed a single GP since he started? Thats incredible.

|

3/4/2020 9:11 AM

I'm going with MC as well. But...how many times has Reed been really hurt?

|

3/4/2020 9:20 AM

Mark Barnett was pretty solid Photo

|

3/4/2020 9:47 AM

Racer111 wrote:

Jeremy McGrath

gt80rider wrote:

this is the correct answer...... during the majority of his title runs he was amazingly injury free... he had a few little things here and there... but the true genius of his riding was keeping it upright and out of trouble...

I remember back around 99'ish at an SX in texas when he tipped over in practice and people started freaking out... just MC tipping over was odd to see back then...... he was nearly always the picture of perfection... and he never got into knock down drag outs with anyone... getting into people Always costs time (not to mention the chance of injury), MC simply knew better....

Was is '98 or '99 in Pontiac that he crashed hard and broke the triple clamp and rung his bell?

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

3/4/2020 9:53 AM

What about Jeff Stanton?

|

3/4/2020 10:13 AM

Racer111 wrote:

Jeremy never broke a femur and he hurt his neck in 2007 at his invitational AFTER he was retired.

https://www.visordown.com/news/racing/general/mcgrath-breaks-leg-season-hold?amp

|

3/4/2020 10:39 AM

Imagine waking each day with the body of Travis Pastrana, I wouldn't even get out of bed lol

|

3/4/2020 10:42 AM

Tanel Leok is a 20 year long pro, I don’t recall him being out with injury much...
Photo

|

3/4/2020 10:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2020 10:58 AM

ga_pike wrote:

I remember that Jeremy broke his leg at High Point in 1992, but that's about all I can remember of his injuries!

Carmichael missed one SX season with a knee injury; he started every national from the last race of 1996 until the first five of 2007, then he did one more and retired. He also missed three SX races when he got a foot peg puncture in his thigh at the '99 San Diego SX.

DC
Racer X

|

3/4/2020 11:02 AM

Nick Wey had 19 years also

|