Most important question of '17: Why doesn't every bike have an electric start?

gnarwhip
Edited Date/Time 5/9/2017 2:47am
Would've helped Tomac at NJ.
|
gnarwhip
5/7/2017 11:53pm
Ok bro. It's insane to me that the other manufacturers haven't followed KTM in getting elec starts. Unless you like losing championships by five points. Insane.
BobPA
5/8/2017 12:01am
gnarwhip wrote:
Ok bro. It's insane to me that the other manufacturers haven't followed KTM in getting elec starts. Unless you like losing championships by five points. Insane.
I agree with you 100%.

The Shop

rmoto003
5/8/2017 1:04am
They all have electric start.

Our bodies use electric signals to communicate signals from our brains to our muscles. Therefore, when you are kickstarting your bike, its being done by electricity.

Its science, man
kiwifan
5/8/2017 2:41am
gnarwhip wrote:
3 of the 6 manufacturers have EC....so 50%....Yamaha will probably have it in 2018...but Kawasaki probably wont, not sure about Suzuki.
pilotdude
5/8/2017 3:18am
I admit I find it odd that companies who make machines and continually strive to make those machines better through R and D do not add such an obviously important and simple feature. Cost could be an issue but let's face the fact that at current prices for a new MX bike cost went out the window a long time ago and the KTMs weigh less then the others.

A little weird to me.
kiwifan
5/8/2017 3:28am
pilotdude wrote:
I admit I find it odd that companies who make machines and continually strive to make those machines better through R and D do not add...
I admit I find it odd that companies who make machines and continually strive to make those machines better through R and D do not add such an obviously important and simple feature. Cost could be an issue but let's face the fact that at current prices for a new MX bike cost went out the window a long time ago and the KTMs weigh less then the others.

A little weird to me.
then again...they also cost a lot more....do you want more expensive bikes?
resetjet
5/8/2017 3:59am
I wont buy a bike without it.....havent kicked a bike in awhile. Stalls mean nothing.
PRM31
5/8/2017 4:21am
I think it's a valid question. From what I've observed, e-start is saving guys some time/points. Since the two lightest bikes have it, weight is not much of an excuse.
Speeddemon73
5/8/2017 4:22am
Having electric start is one thing, but having electric start and not adding additional weight to the bike is another. KTM is the only manufacturer right now to add electric start to their bikes and actually still lose weight. Most teams don't figure on their top guy crashing and stalling the bike every race. Plus, if the electric start system fails, then how do you start your bike? Example: Roczen at Monster Energy cup couldn't get the bike going because the electric start failed. There is less to go wrong with a kick start than electric start. Plus with teams having these bikes EFI systems tuned pretty dang good, they start easy. It's not like we are back in 05' where if you stalled your 450 in a race, you were done.
Acidreamer
5/8/2017 4:26am
I think all future bikes will have estart standard. The next kawi bike more than likely will. I think honda will make it standard. Suzukis new bike might. I dont think yamahas new one does but the one after prob will. Its becoming a neccessity.
Dtat720
5/8/2017 4:35am
Japanese makers go off feedback from dealers on some things. Electric start has been on a few surveys ive done.

Seems the people screaming for e start on japanese bikes are already on ktm. Is it chest thumping because ktm owners feel superior to the lowly other brands owners? Or is it like the short man complex, and they really wish japanese bikes had e start so they could be on one again and get off the ktm?

Kinda like the almost poor kid at school who's parents spent outside their means so little johnny would feel better about himself and better than his classmates. Even tho he was really just a douche showing off his toys that he really didnt need
BobPA
5/8/2017 5:35am
Dtat720 wrote:
Japanese makers go off feedback from dealers on some things. Electric start has been on a few surveys ive done. Seems the people screaming for e...
Japanese makers go off feedback from dealers on some things. Electric start has been on a few surveys ive done.

Seems the people screaming for e start on japanese bikes are already on ktm. Is it chest thumping because ktm owners feel superior to the lowly other brands owners? Or is it like the short man complex, and they really wish japanese bikes had e start so they could be on one again and get off the ktm?

Kinda like the almost poor kid at school who's parents spent outside their means so little johnny would feel better about himself and better than his classmates. Even tho he was really just a douche showing off his toys that he really didnt need
Man, you are out there.
pmshortt2
5/8/2017 7:28am
I definitely don't think it should be standard. Some people would prefer not to have it on there bikes. And if the e start fails I always want the option to kick
BobPA
5/8/2017 7:32am
pmshortt2 wrote:
I definitely don't think it should be standard. Some people would prefer not to have it on there bikes. And if the e start fails I...
I definitely don't think it should be standard. Some people would prefer not to have it on there bikes. And if the e start fails I always want the option to kick
Better put a hand crank on your car, caveman.
dirtdog36
5/8/2017 7:44am
gnarwhip wrote:
BobPA wrote:
I agree with you 100%.
I have a KTM 500EXC and its the first bike I have ever had with a starter and it is AWESOME!!! Wow would not want a bike without it

along these lines. Look at the wheel change, 3 points salvaged by Zac.... why do the PRO team not have powered tools to do a wheel change and why aren't these practiced? I know that it is rare but look at Zac... also didn't ET3 do a wheel change because of a rotor???

with all the tools they carry they look like keystone cops trying to do repairs....
pmshortt2
5/8/2017 7:50am
pmshortt2 wrote:
I definitely don't think it should be standard. Some people would prefer not to have it on there bikes. And if the e start fails I...
BobPA wrote:
You tell me that that when your deep in the trails an hour from the truck and your e start fails, George Jetson
BobPA
5/8/2017 7:58am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2017 8:00am
pmshortt2 wrote:
You tell me that that when your deep in the trails an hour from the truck and your e start fails, George Jetson
We will just agree to disagree. E-start has been around for 106 years. Just because it is new to the mx world, does not make it new technology. Hell, we were 20 years behind with FI. They have it figured out...

FYI I have broken more kickstarters then I have broken electric start systems...2011 until now with not a single e-start failure
markit
5/8/2017 8:01am
pmshortt2 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
He could bump start, isn't that even harder than kicking?
dirtdog36
5/8/2017 8:02am
pmshortt2 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
We will just agree to disagree. E-start has been around for 106 years. Just because it is new to the mx world, does not make it...
We will just agree to disagree. E-start has been around for 106 years. Just because it is new to the mx world, does not make it new technology. Hell, we were 20 years behind with FI. They have it figured out...

FYI I have broken more kickstarters then I have broken electric start systems...2011 until now with not a single e-start failure
Also I believe the off road models still have a kick starter as a back up... mine does... not rocket science
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
5/8/2017 8:06am
I think it cost Tomas in NJ being out of balanc and unable to kick until he rolled onto a level spot; in Vegas Dungey was in a couple awkward positions where he was unable to have kicked the bike over, but the magic button got him right out of there without losing any time. Not sure if he actually stalled, but it looked like he did at least once Saturday night.
slipdog
5/8/2017 8:30am
Engineers hard at work...

braaap
Fantasy
2172nd
5/8/2017 9:23am
I found it hard to believe that the brand new RMZ will not have e-start. For me, as an old vet rider, electric start is a must have for a 4 stroke. That's the main reason I have owned a KTM since 2011....and the button has never let me down.
three9zero
5/8/2017 9:25am
Love my E/S Husqvarna, and after kicking a bike for 37 years, I'm electic start 4 life.
ga_pike
5/8/2017 9:28am
It's a disadvantage obviously... too much added weight. You see how those KTM's act like fat pigs now with it?!?

I would expect all to have it next year.
BobbyM
5/8/2017 10:05am
gnarwhip wrote:
Would've helped Tomac at NJ.
Engineers stuck in the mental mud hole of less weight... Less weight!
86honda
5/8/2017 10:20am
In a 30 minute moto plus two laps e/s is easly the advantage.

Post a reply to: Most important question of '17: Why doesn't every bike have an electric start?

The Latest