Most common mx injury

Edited Date/Time 9/3/2018 12:32am
I've been racing all my life (I'm only 29, started at 4). Not good at it by any means to make money of course, but both my collarbones are plated. It got me thinking. Whats the most common injuries in MX?

With all the injuries we read about daily I was wondering what the most common injury is. So I got on my handy dandy collegiate research to find a study and came across this....

"The incidence of motocross injuries: a 12-year investigation"

Is there anyway to upload a PDF to vital anywhere so people can read it? I have the article on my computer, but if I copy and paste it, it looks terrible.....how do I get this readable by not doing a screen shot?

I just caved and screen shotted....interesting read for Moto heads with some solid backing from a scholarly peer reviewed study.

Here's page 1, I'll upload each page everytime I post: Standby...

|

The Shop

3/1/2016 8:29pm

Can't find much new studies being done....interesting read. But I just wonder how the injuries have evolved in the past 12 years.
jeffro503
3/1/2016 8:32pm
All I know is , I must of had a lot of " common " places , because I injured the same ones numerous times.
hillbilly
3/1/2016 8:34pm
There is just a couple bones I haven't broken,seriously. Never broke a femur.

disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
3/1/2016 8:40pm
I got another ankle injection today...
jeffro503
3/1/2016 8:41pm
hillbilly wrote:
There is just a couple bones I haven't broken,seriously. Never broke a femur.

That is one of the main ones I've never broke either HB. Broke most of my other ones , but the scariest was when I had all the internal injuries. They can set bones , even when compounded , but internal , usually have to cut you open or put tubes in.
hillbilly
3/1/2016 8:41pm
disbanded wrote:
I got another ankle injection today...
I wonder if alcohol injection right in the joint would work.
3/1/2016 8:57pm
motokiwi wrote:
TL:DR?
Yea I kind of figured this thread might die fast. Most vital users lose focus after three sentences. And god forbid, we read an actual study on safety. Rather just say the most common injuries are our own, because well it has to be true!
jeffro503
3/1/2016 9:09pm
motokiwi wrote:
TL:DR?
Yea I kind of figured this thread might die fast. Most vital users lose focus after three sentences. And god forbid, we read an actual study...
Yea I kind of figured this thread might die fast. Most vital users lose focus after three sentences. And god forbid, we read an actual study on safety. Rather just say the most common injuries are our own, because well it has to be true!
Well to be fair to myself , I just worked 12hrs and I'm completely thrashed. I didn't have the time or the energy to read all of that. And there is a lot of reading there!

Could you sum it up? I would figure that collar bones , concussions , muscle and tendon damage along with broken bones on the limbs would be the most common? Neck injuries may be on the list , but honestly those seem few and far between.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/1/2016 11:46pm
I have broken my left collarbone 5 times and my right collarbone 0 so I must put my left hand out first every time. Sad at least I am consistent.
jj welks
3/2/2016 1:37am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2016 1:37am
Lol I don't think there's too many vitards familiar with the words "scholarly journal".
(Not saying I read all of it either Tongue )
tempura
3/2/2016 2:42am
The conclusion is skull injuries have been reduced by better protection, but the occurrence of knee sprains, wrist and clavicular fractures is still high.
It's also noted the high number of spinal fractures occurring in indoor races (supercross?), raises the question of the safety of these events.
The occurrence of injuries is not exclusive to any particular sport, but what is important to acknowledge that most of these are not unavoidable. Prevention must be sought through better equipment, riding techniques and physical training.
tempura
3/2/2016 2:45am
Since the boom in knee braces, I wonder if the knee sprains and damage has reduced, but occurrence of broken Femurs increased..
Ducon39
3/2/2016 4:25am
Like the saying goes ... "there are two types of motocrossers: the one who broke his collarbone, and the one who will" Wink
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1522nd
3/2/2016 4:50am
I'm not sure if riding caused the 'neurological deficit' or if I already had it. ...
Justin345
3/2/2016 6:00am
I have surgery today at 11:30 to put a plate and some screws in my ankle that I broke riding on Sunday. Medial malleolus (broke bottom part of tibia off).
3/2/2016 8:40am
Based off of the comments on read on VitalMX, i would say that head/brain injury is the most common...

LOL
The Rock
3/2/2016 8:54am
tempura wrote:
The conclusion is skull injuries have been reduced by better protection, but the occurrence of knee sprains, wrist and clavicular fractures is still high. It's also...
The conclusion is skull injuries have been reduced by better protection, but the occurrence of knee sprains, wrist and clavicular fractures is still high.
It's also noted the high number of spinal fractures occurring in indoor races (supercross?), raises the question of the safety of these events.
The occurrence of injuries is not exclusive to any particular sport, but what is important to acknowledge that most of these are not unavoidable. Prevention must be sought through better equipment, riding techniques and physical training.
I woiuld add common sense when designing tracks is key to reducing injuires.
3/2/2016 10:01am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2016 10:02am
It's really all based on the rider. Better, training, better riding and better technique. Probably why dungey can go so long without a mishap.

The study found that 22% of all riders qualifying practicing and racing the event have a 22% possibility for an at risk event to Happen.

So if 100 guys are qualifying for the night show. 22 of them are getting hurt in some way shape or form. Maybe not hurt enough to side line. But hurt none the less. THe more i read actual evidence and numbers the more it makes me think how lucky I am to go a whole season without hurting myself.

Post a reply to: Most common mx injury

The Latest