Most Rememberable Moment With A Pro

Austin824
Edited Date/Time 7/15/2015 9:32pm
Mine would defiantly be at the Las Vegas supercross. This was when the pros would come up and sit on the bleachers sometimes (it wasn't industry seating either). And shorty was up there and everyone was asking for his autographs. I was really young so I asked my mom if I could get his autograph but she said not now he is busy (everyone was crowding him). So he must of heard me or my mom because he turned around and gave me his goggles. I still have them today and this is just another great story about Shorty. However I couldn't forget about the metal mulisha bro right by me throwing up almost on me.Sick

So lets hear your most rememberable moment with a pro.
|
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
7/14/2015 10:57am Edited Date/Time 7/14/2015 1:36pm
I was 18 and my girlfriend had just dumped me so all my buddies took me to Las Vegas and pooled their money and got me a girl named Diamond and she...................................oops wrong kind of pro. Blush
Austin824
7/14/2015 11:01am
lostboy819 wrote:
I was 18 and my girlfriend had just dumped me so all my buddies took me to Las Vegas and pooled their money and got me...
I was 18 and my girlfriend had just dumped me so all my buddies took me to Las Vegas and pooled their money and got me a girl named Diamond and she...................................oops wrong kind of pro. Blush
Good one Laughing
Cygnus
7/14/2015 11:07am
RC and JS the tower at LL's after the beer tent closed. That's about all I can say.

The Shop

FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
7/14/2015 11:19am Edited Date/Time 7/14/2015 11:20am
When RC went to Honda he was talking to Decoster in the Daytona pits. We were there early. I wanted to get a pic of the two when Rickey turned and after recognizing us from years of pitting next to each other in amateurs he asked if we wanted to walk the track with him. So it was me, my wife and RC studying the lines and joking until the team came and took him away. We then met David from Dmxs in the whoops and laughed it up. As we were walking towards the riders meeting I noticed TFS and had him take a pic with my wife of coarse and then a guy behind him said hey FLmxer , I'm wordnerd. Good times.
mjr119
7/14/2015 11:32am
At Atlanta SX in 2003 I believe, I was walking around the pits and we saw RC walking towards the arena from his rig.He was in plain clothes because he wasnt racing that weekend. He stopped and shook my hand and said it was nice to meet me etc etc. Then he proceeded to walk away. He turned around really quick like he forgot something, and started walking back towards me, he then shook my hand and said the same exact thing to me.

I just thought it was weird, especially since I was the only person in the area at the time. I was like 14 and I remember thinking, wow these dudes are robots lol.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
7/14/2015 11:37am
I hung out and drank beers with Ron Lechien a few years back at the Tucker-Rocky Show. I got hammered so I cut myself off after a while, but he still bought me one more... when a national champ buys you a beer and calls you a p*ssy, you drink it!
7/14/2015 11:46am
He wasn't a pro at the time, but Barcia was racing the pro-sport class at the first Vurb Classic at Bremen and heading to the line as I was coming off from my 250 beginner race. He rode next to me and gave me a thumbs up and congratulated me on my win. Been a fan of that engine torturer ever since
7/14/2015 12:03pm
Dutch 2 time world champion John van den Berk (1x 125cc 1x 250cc, late 80's) did some training sessions one day, it rained hard all week so not allot of people showed up. So we had a full day with only a handfull of riders and a legend rider giving us tips and showing us lines and stuff. He was really friendly and helpfull, very good atmosphere. In the evening he went to dinner with the whole group and told us stories of his days as a proffesional racer and stuff.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
7/14/2015 12:05pm
Watching an e-brake contest between a couple 80s Honda factory ridersand watching one clip the curb and roll the vet that was rented by a wealthy swatch guard Inventor.
motomatt16
7/14/2015 12:07pm
I bought some stuff (gloves shirts) from novik gloves a couple years ago, while ordering I mentioned that I learned about the company because of their sponsoring Brett Cue. the next day Brett sent me a email thanking me for letting them know he makes a difference for them. in the end we continued talking over email and I ended up getting to buy one of his bikes off him, he invited me to ride but apparently it rains every day in Oregon.
be
if only the bike came with the whips...
Tpog496
7/14/2015 12:12pm
mjr119 wrote:
At Atlanta SX in 2003 I believe, I was walking around the pits and we saw RC walking towards the arena from his rig.He was in...
At Atlanta SX in 2003 I believe, I was walking around the pits and we saw RC walking towards the arena from his rig.He was in plain clothes because he wasnt racing that weekend. He stopped and shook my hand and said it was nice to meet me etc etc. Then he proceeded to walk away. He turned around really quick like he forgot something, and started walking back towards me, he then shook my hand and said the same exact thing to me.

I just thought it was weird, especially since I was the only person in the area at the time. I was like 14 and I remember thinking, wow these dudes are robots lol.
Ha ha if I was famous I'd do shit like this all time just to mess with people.
P
7/14/2015 12:16pm
Leaving Budd's Creek after Bubba's last to first ride and I stop at a gas station. As I'm walking in who do I see sitting in the back of a car with his head leaned over as if he was tired............yep, James Stewart Jr. himself. He eventually came in the store. I ended up just telling him nice ride, the I didn't go "super fan crazy" or anything. I was shocked to see him though!

Also, this year as I was waiting for my flight out of Vegas (Mayweather fight and last round of the SX series) I see a guy in front of me in the security line that looks familiar. It's Anthony Rodriguez! I introduced myself and made small talk. Later at the gate I'm sitting with my friends as they are about to board a flight to Atlanta and I'm a little stunned when RC and Chad Reed come walking up with their right-hand men! I was tempted to get a photo, but I passed. I also think that Joey Savatgy was waiting for his flight in the same area.

I've had other surprise racer sightings, but those are the most memorable.

P
peelout
7/14/2015 12:27pm
traded buying drinks at the Hard Rock with Chad Reed after the Vegas SX one night, was already a fan and that made me a bigger one.

also shot the shit with Tortelli and Ricky Johnson at the same joint different year. Ricky's mullet that night was fucking legit.

many stories with MC, but probably the coolest one was having him sign my 1st place trophy and number plate (a big ass log plaque with Jeremy doing a nac-nac burned onto the face) from the Powder Mountain race in 2010. or the time he lapped me at the Day in the Dirt at LACR over the big double and him pancaked looking over at me in the air. that one was epic.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
7/14/2015 12:31pm
McGrath did a great shout out to a friend's kids (racers) on video for me during press day in Dallas.
mb
7/14/2015 12:39pm
Atlanta supercross in 08 I believe. As a kid when they interviewed CR22 at the "party in the pits" he was larger than life to me.
7/14/2015 12:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2015 12:51pm
McGrath.

Cahuilla Creek MX in SoCal. 10 yrs ago, my son was 3 and riding a PW50 with training wheels. McGrath pulls up in a big box van truck and immediately takes notice of my son riding a self-made track, we were in the back parking lot. When my son see's McGrath checking him out he does a NacNac (pure coincidence) i'm sure he had no clue it was MC. Anyway, MC puts his arms up and yells out "YEAH!!" and starts cracking up. We hung out by our toy hauler and didn't bother him, he looked to be racing, too.
Later that day, after my moto, i'm standing on the side of the track cheering on some friends racing and MC walks up to me and asks me if i'm the Dad of the kid who did the NacNac. We just stood there and chatted for 10 minutes. What a cool dude. About 4-5 years later my son approached him at Anaheim 1 SX in the pits and we reminded him of that day at Cahuilla. MC laughed and recalled it, and signed my son's t-shirt. Great memories.

Doug
BBarnes720
7/14/2015 12:47pm
I was on 80s and Ricky Carmichael was on 60s in the practice behind me at Dade City FL. He comes up to me and says " I was watching you the last practice and you can hit the whoops harder, you have a lot of potential."
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
7/14/2015 1:08pm
My friend raced Southwick back in like 1995 or 96. I got to tag along with his mechanic down to the line and while waiting for the 250 motos, I was just sitting on a bench when MC and Ryno come and sit down next to me. They started talking about wakeboarding like it was nothing. I was pretty big into wakeboarding at the time so I just blurted out something about if they had tried some new wakeboard design or something like that. Before I know it I'm just chatting with my moto heros about wakeboarding like I'm talking to my friends at the lake. It was surreal and I didn't fully appreciate what was going on until afterwards when they walked away and I was like, holy crap, what just happened???

Between that, hanging out in the pits all day, and watching the races from the mechanic's area, it was the best day ever!
casper
7/14/2015 1:13pm
Dinner with Fro!

NV825
Fantasy
2740th
7/14/2015 1:16pm
It was early 2000's and we pulled up to a campsite in Mammoth next to a big motorhome and didn't think anything of it. As we are unpacking my brother and I notice the guy next to us was actually Travis Preston. We were really shy and didn't know how to approach him, but he came over on his own to chat with us after seeing us working on our bikes and then invited us over to play ATV Off-Road Fury on PlayStation.
Outsider
7/14/2015 1:23pm
The middle of the night at a dirt rider 24 hour shootout trying to figure out what bike I'm supposed to ride looking at the big board with all the times and names.. another guy comes up looking for the same thing with his helmet on an then says "oh there I am".. Jeff Emig
DoctorJD
7/14/2015 1:27pm
At the old Trans USA series at Road Atlanta (late 70's). After the races, we slipped into the pits and began wandering around. Everyone was busy packing up, so we didn't ask for autographs, we were just checking out the bikes. We saw Chuck Sun sitting on the back of his old Husky "bread truck", so we headed over. He couldn't have been nicer. He had some posters in the back of the van that he signed and gave all of us. He sat there and BS'd with us like we were old friends. Even gave us some riding tips.

More recently, we ran into Fro at the old "Jocks and Jill's" at the Atl supercross. We were waiting to get our table when he, Ralph and Erin walk in the door (apparently their table was ready). Our boys instantly recognized them, and headed straight for Fro with the Sharpies out. I went over to intervene so he could go to his table, but he said, "absolutely no problem", and stopped and signed all of the boys jerseys. I apologized, and he again said that it was no problem and that he was glad to do it. Super nice guy.

TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
7/14/2015 1:34pm
Oh there was also that one time when Ashley Fiolek made me feel like a D class spode around Nocona. She had just moved up from the 85s and was riding a pretty nice CR125 and had that thing absolutely screaming around the track. That was definitely memorable, but not in a "put a smile on my face" sort of way. Very humbling.
RPM68
7/14/2015 1:37pm
Racing the Regional with Reynard last year was cool.

I wont ever forget the night Jlaw and Josh Hill got into trouble at Freestone with us lol
JW381
7/14/2015 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2015 1:41pm
Darryn Durham at Washougal. He was riding out of a sprinter van so there was no line. Just walked up and sung my praises and he was stoked!
TeamGreen
7/14/2015 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2015 2:10pm
My 1st race...I was on a brand new 1980 CR125R. Literlly bought that same weekend.
I had everything, gear-wise...but Pants. I was wearing a pair of jeans.

Another guy was racing a CR125 in the 125 Pro Class that day. His name was Danny Chandler. After my 1st Moto...which was just after his...I'd won by a pretty good margin...luckily...

He came and found me in the pits, handed me a pair of riding pants...Jofamas...actually made of Leather...and told me...(remember, this is my 1st race...1st day at the track...I don't know any of these guys)...

Don't back off for the 1st turn so much. Keep as much speed as you can and make the most of a good start
(I'd holeshotted & let everyone catch up to me as I slowed down for the 1st turn and spent the next coupl'a laps getting the lead back from a few guys that went by me like..."poof"...I was a true-beginner...)

Wear all the protection you can get & that you can stand to wear; because, when things get bad, thay can get real bad REALLY fast.

You need to relax between motos and eat something.

Learn to jump ALL the way over the big jumps: I'll be glad I did and I'll spend a lot less energy that way.

If you win today you need to get out of the "Beginner Class" (I did...and I did).

Get a good pipe. It's really, really fast with a good pipe...and jetting (That last word had me wondering..."WTF"?)

So...When you hear stories about Magoo sharing EVERYTHING and giving people he hardly knew "the shirt off of his back"...it's true. Wish I'd kept those leathers; but, they got "paid forward". There are more than a few of us that'll go from smiles...to welling up...when we talk about Danny. That's a really cool thing, to me...and Clutchy.
TeamGreen
7/14/2015 2:29pm
KMC440 wrote:
Foresthill's finest ....
Therefore...

So...When you hear stories about Magoo sharing EVERYTHING and giving people he hardly knew "the shirt off of his back"...it's true. Wish I'd kept those leathers; but, they got "paid forward". There are more than a few of us that'll go from smiles...to welling up...when we talk about Danny. That's a really cool thing, to me...and Clutchy...and KMC440.

Post a reply to: Most Rememberable Moment With A Pro

The Latest