Most Naturally Talented Rider?

ga_pike
6/7/2016 3:21pm
Mitchell Kumpstein. End of debate.
brimx153
6/7/2016 3:48pm
I ve had this row alot of time s, over the Nature v Nurture . My Talent is Art . when people ask me how did i get so good at it. I dont really know what the answer is . When i look back i worked my ass off at it . Hours and hours every day . But then When i look at my first drawing s i did as a kid. i was instandly good at it .( Its the only thing i am good at) .I a firm believer in TALENT .And not one of these rider s that got to pro ,By just working really hard . RD5 is always used as the example of someone who was nt Naturally talented just worked harder than everyone. but yet it was by his corner speed the MAN signed him and said it s something you cant teach . Ie his natural TALENT . imo you need TALENT plus hard work to be a great rider. but you could be a really good rider on pure talent alone . On just hard work alone . you wouldnt even be a pro

Also , look at the riders at the moment who s fathers were really good .There has to be something in the DNA . In 5 to 10 years we are going to be hearing alot of the same names again ie, Everts (3rd gen )pichon , voland, deegan ,ferry etc etc .
bob567
6/7/2016 5:08pm
I doubt anyone in the history of the sport won or placed well in more pro races after drinking, smoking weed, doing blow and railing chics the night before than Ron Lechien. For these reasons The Machine owns the title of most natural talent. For gods sake it was not his work ethic, training, dedication, motivation, practice seat time, etc.... hahaha

The Shop

RCB33
Fantasy
90th
6/7/2016 6:43pm
So the general consensus is Lechien,Pastrana,Reynard, and Hanson are the most naturally talented from the past and ,Herlings, Fevre(spelling),Roczen,Stewart, and Grant from the present...all very good choices IMO.
Osaka627
6/7/2016 7:25pm
Talent can't be bought, learned, or earned.

McGrath is another example of that.
John Dowd

I could go for days on this silly subject
Osaka627
6/7/2016 7:29pm
bob567 wrote:
I doubt anyone in the history of the sport won or placed well in more pro races after drinking, smoking weed, doing blow and railing chics...
I doubt anyone in the history of the sport won or placed well in more pro races after drinking, smoking weed, doing blow and railing chics the night before than Ron Lechien. For these reasons The Machine owns the title of most natural talent. For gods sake it was not his work ethic, training, dedication, motivation, practice seat time, etc.... hahaha
You obviously haven't seen Jeffro's famous Jack & Cokes Video while at one of McGrath's After Party

FARANG
6/7/2016 8:04pm
Pastrana IMO. Being able to race like he did and then turn his hand to freestyle, that's pure talent on a bike.

McGrath was also incredibly talented and RC's talent is underestimated simply because he was such an animal. Tortelli was also incredibly gifted.

I see Stewart as being one of the biggest risk takers of all time, but if he was as talented as people say then he wouldn't have crashed as much as he did. Talented for sure, but taking huge risks and riding over your head means you get some great video clips, and tons of bad crashes. He had balls though.
Osaka627
6/7/2016 11:29pm Edited Date/Time 6/7/2016 11:35pm
FARANG wrote:
Pastrana IMO. Being able to race like he did and then turn his hand to freestyle, that's pure talent on a bike. McGrath was also incredibly...
Pastrana IMO. Being able to race like he did and then turn his hand to freestyle, that's pure talent on a bike.

McGrath was also incredibly talented and RC's talent is underestimated simply because he was such an animal. Tortelli was also incredibly gifted.

I see Stewart as being one of the biggest risk takers of all time, but if he was as talented as people say then he wouldn't have crashed as much as he did. Talented for sure, but taking huge risks and riding over your head means you get some great video clips, and tons of bad crashes. He had balls though.
Smart man you're.

Does talent equal raw speed? Or does talent equal graceful flow?

That will always be up to the opinionated mindset of the man making judgement.

Here in the state of WA where the man named RV hails from is often passed over in terms of talent by the locals who live here. Brandon Layton is why that is. And I named him in my list because I can not recall him crashing ever in his life. Not to mention I still haven't witnessed a 6 year old kid Blitz the top of Washougals Whoop section 6th tapped gaining momentum on a crappy old 94 KX60. Then proceeding to do Heel Clickers over SIR's 80 Foot Triple. When he got to the 80 class he would start sign up for the 125 B Class at Woodland MX and dominate them so bad that he would often pass the leader of the Pro Class off the second gate by the end of the Moto while tapping the rear brake to drop the front end way before it became a standard routine. Some of those Pro's were named Tracey Johnson, McCormick, Hagseth, and even Monte Hill. The dad of the Josh and Justin.

Colton Facciotti often came to visit our state and would lose by half Lap margins. The kid was simply that amazing

I see a lot of Damon Bradshaw in Stewart. They didn't show their true colors until finally meeting someone who was able to fluster their flow causing them to question their confidence. But that doesn't take away from their talent that just means they may have been softer mentally due to the lack of true challenges they faced till their ultimate challenge came in their career.

Sebastian's raw speed was incredible but we both know he got in over his head more often than what is deemed acceptable.
6/8/2016 1:49am
I'm surprised people are saying JS7 for *natural* talent. Even his own parents have said he had to work crazy hard on his riding to get to where he is, and that Malcolm actually had more natural talent on a bike than he ever did.

KR94 has the most natural talent on a bike right now for me, he just has "it".

Pastrana also gets an honorable mention in my books for what can be done on two wheels.
mxwrench66
6/8/2016 7:09am
RC in my opinion. He won races from the day he started as a fat kid. He won on every brand he rode. He was less than perfect with his form and was really short. I would say he is easily the most naturally talented racer, but specifically to dirt bike racing. People often throw out names of natural talented "athletes" racers that would probably excel at any discipline.
jamma10
6/8/2016 7:19am
A lot of people in this thread seem to have mis-read the first line of the OPs opening comment;

...'who is most naturally talented rider around right now'
c130
6/8/2016 7:41am
Jeffrey Herlings - watch the kid ride a rough and technical track and you will understand
jeffro503
6/8/2016 7:44am
Well , as far as past riders go I can think of quite a few. Two that really stuck out for me was Stephan Evert's and Kevin Windham. Of course you have Bailey, Lechien , O'mara , JMB and so forth too.

Today.....Seely , Grant , Stewart , Reed and most definitely Roczen and Tomac.

Hard to mention just one guy because a lot of different riders shined at either different times or different places.
Louie112
6/8/2016 7:45am
jamma10 wrote:
A lot of people in this thread seem to have mis-read the first line of the OPs opening comment; [i]...'who is most naturally talented rider around...
A lot of people in this thread seem to have mis-read the first line of the OPs opening comment;

Haha I thought the same thing. I was thinking about this the other day and thought it was interesting Chad Reed's name never comes up. He's not very flashy but he is/was pretty damn fast. He always claims he never went to any camps or had any serious coaching growing up so he has done pretty well off some natural talent!

6/8/2016 8:26am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2016 8:30am
Christopher's brother Seb, Also Danny Chandler and JMB. Modern riders would have to be Febvre, has a instinct for finding traction and out braking the competition when charging
RCB33
Fantasy
90th
6/8/2016 8:44am
jamma10 wrote:
A lot of people in this thread seem to have mis-read the first line of the OPs opening comment; [i]...'who is most naturally talented rider around...

What he said...
rcm406
6/8/2016 9:00am
I don't know who the most "naturally talented" is, but I could watch this guy ride all day long and not get bored! BTW, he has the best riding compound too!

6/8/2016 9:58am
The Source wrote:
Christopher's brother Seb, Also Danny Chandler and JMB. Modern riders would have to be Febvre, has a instinct for finding traction and out braking the competition...
Christopher's brother Seb, Also Danny Chandler and JMB. Modern riders would have to be Febvre, has a instinct for finding traction and out braking the competition when charging
True. This pass is insane
akillerwombat
6/8/2016 12:22pm
Pastrana – what he accomplished across all aspects of riding is incomparable to anyone past or present.
MXMattii
6/8/2016 3:09pm
Christophe Pourcel without a doubt. Look at what he does in High Point 2010. Boom jumps that tunneljump first time there.

Pakoyz250f
Fantasy
1222nd
6/8/2016 3:22pm
MXMattii wrote:
Christophe Pourcel without a doubt. Look at what he does in High Point 2010. Boom jumps that tunneljump first time there. [embed] https://youtu.be/oYlncFu6KlY?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0 [/embed] [embed] https://youtu.be/oUnOwQqR_DY?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0...
Christophe Pourcel without a doubt. Look at what he does in High Point 2010. Boom jumps that tunneljump first time there.

I was looking for that video and thought that it was in 2009! It was awesome what he did ! I'm with you on that one. Pourcel is awesome
Jasper125
6/8/2016 3:22pm
Most Naturally Talented Rider?
Well then im talking style i just really like Dean Wilson's style, Tall guy rides on his toe's and knows how to use his body and legs. I really enjoy just watching Deano ride but Christian Craig has a similar style to me that style is just poetry in motion
Antonioni
6/8/2016 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2016 8:47pm
"Febvre just racing motocross since 2011", this legend is false, Febvre just stop motocross to do supermot during 2 or 3 years. Before that he never been a podium rider in his nationals categories of youth in france (he started the races at 6 year old)). And after that until last year, he wasn't, very clearly, one of the top10 world riders.
Also Paulin legend "Paulin riding a motorcycle since age 13" is false. Since he has something like 6-7 he ride a motorcycle, but he began the races only at 12 (maybe even 11?). Then he ride BMX since something like 5-6, up to highest level of world competition for youth, something like 3-4 years later.

For he initial question, i think Roczen, C.Pourcel, J.Stewart. This riders, with their differents path of progression, their style, their mentality, are just within an other level.
Once again, the C.Pourcel career without his North Ireland incident and injury, would have been very different...
6/8/2016 9:14pm
Tim Gaisjer, or however you spell his last name. If you haven't been following the gp's the kid is the real deal. Plus it's said that if he wins his contract with Honda would allow him to race in the US if he wanted to.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
6/8/2016 10:21pm
I have to admit, I missed the current part. Talent doesnt always mean they have the best numbers. I think we all remember that local guy that just oozed talent but simply didnt have the resources and/or desire to do things differently. Having that been said, its really impossible to include people we wouldnt know of for obvious reasons. My vote would then lead to JS7.
6/9/2016 12:47am
Antonioni wrote:
"[i]Febvre just racing motocross since 2011[/i]", this legend is false, Febvre just stop motocross to do supermot during 2 or 3 years. Before that he never...
"Febvre just racing motocross since 2011", this legend is false, Febvre just stop motocross to do supermot during 2 or 3 years. Before that he never been a podium rider in his nationals categories of youth in france (he started the races at 6 year old)). And after that until last year, he wasn't, very clearly, one of the top10 world riders.
Also Paulin legend "Paulin riding a motorcycle since age 13" is false. Since he has something like 6-7 he ride a motorcycle, but he began the races only at 12 (maybe even 11?). Then he ride BMX since something like 5-6, up to highest level of world competition for youth, something like 3-4 years later.

For he initial question, i think Roczen, C.Pourcel, J.Stewart. This riders, with their differents path of progression, their style, their mentality, are just within an other level.
Once again, the C.Pourcel career without his North Ireland incident and injury, would have been very different...
Thanks for clearing that up. It's what I've been hearing for a long time but it's also written in their bio's on their websites.

Post a reply to: Most Naturally Talented Rider?

The Latest