Most Hyped Race You Can Remember?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/18/2019 5:15 PM

I was just watching some old SX races throughout the week, and I watched a lot of the 05 season. It got me thinking about how much hype there was going into A1 in 05. Myself and all of my moto buddies were super pumped (as RC would say) for this race. We had been for a few years. For obvious reasons. While there is always a huge hype and excitement going into A1, this year was different. I've been excited for each season before it and each season since, and 05 blows them all away. Both personally and throughout the industry.

Stewart debut. McGrath returns from retirement. Carmichael returns from injury. Reed here to defend his championship. Pastrana trying to make a last ditch effort to be a 250 contender. The always consistent Windham. It was just insane. Despite the massive advancements in social media and the internet since 05, still nothing has come close. Everything just kind of aligned there that day with regards to the hype meter. Unfortunately, mother nature threw a wrench into everything.

So I guess my question to you all is this: Has there ever been a single event in SX/MX history that comes close to the amount of hype and anticipation that A1 had in 2005? 03 MXoN maybe with RC/Everts anticipated battle? 06 MXoN with the anticipated Stewart/Everts battle? 99 A1 with Carmichael's debut? Those are the only ones that come close for me. And they're still far away.

|

1/18/2019 5:22 PM

I think the 2018 MXdN has a pretty big hype going into it, the whole ET3 vs JH84

|

1/18/2019 5:22 PM

Hannah and Howerton early 80s put on some good battles.

|

1/18/2019 5:26 PM

Alessi pro debut #believethehype

Adam.C pro debut

|

There are two kinds of people against dirt bikes, those who never tried and those who weren't good at them.

1/18/2019 5:32 PM

Agreed Anaheim 2005. It sucked becuaee it was super muddy, then at Phoenix, Stew broke his wrist.

|

1/18/2019 6:02 PM

gnarwhip wrote:

Agreed Anaheim 2005. It sucked becuaee it was super muddy, then at Phoenix, Stew broke his wrist.

Agreed

|

1/18/2019 6:07 PM

Barrzy256 wrote:

I think the 2018 MXdN has a pretty big hype going into it, the whole ET3 vs JH84

Or the 2002 at Pigshit Park blink laughing
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2002/03/27march02motocrossdesnations/

|

1/18/2019 6:24 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

I was just watching some old SX races throughout the week, and I watched a lot of the 05 season. It got me thinking about how much hype there was going into A1 in 05. Myself and all of my moto buddies were super pumped (as RC would say) for this race. We had been for a few years. For obvious reasons. While there is always a huge hype and excitement going into A1, this year was different. I've been excited for each season before it and each season since, and 05 blows them all away. Both personally and throughout the industry.

Stewart debut. McGrath returns from retirement. Carmichael returns from injury. Reed here to defend his championship. Pastrana trying to make a last ditch effort to be a 250 contender. The always consistent Windham. It was just insane. Despite the massive advancements in social media and the internet since 05, still nothing has come close. Everything just kind of aligned there that day with regards to the hype meter. Unfortunately, mother nature threw a wrench into everything.

So I guess my question to you all is this: Has there ever been a single event in SX/MX history that comes close to the amount of hype and anticipation that A1 had in 2005? 03 MXoN maybe with RC/Everts anticipated battle? 06 MXoN with the anticipated Stewart/Everts battle? 99 A1 with Carmichael's debut? Those are the only ones that come close for me. And they're still far away.

Imo the Rain Completely Ruined it.
But yeah that was looking to be perfect

|

1/18/2019 7:49 PM

The carlsbad world championship races and the la coliseum races were by far the most hyped of all time. everything else is a distant second.

.

|

1/18/2019 7:58 PM

There was a whole bunch up until now, but absolutely none of them will compare to Assen, NDL 2019 Motocross Des Nations. Hold onto your hats boys because this will be worldwide "EPIC".

|

THERE IS NO SECOND MOTO IN LIFE!

1/18/2019 8:02 PM

I'm biased because I was there, but the 2001 Las Vegas Supercross.

RC trying to tie MC's streak... or MC stopping it. I wanted MC to stop him. Everyone I knew wanted MC to stop him. A lot of people just weren't ready to see MC get taken over and shoved aside in the sport.

McGrath, after floundering around for most of the season after the big A3 loss, seemed different. He really looked his best that night. Rode a flawless heat race that included a very "I'm here tonight" nacnac. The main was near perfection, but one mistake cost him dearly.

That near wash out in the 180 before the finish was a "what if?" question in my mind for years (and I'm sure more so his...).

|

James

1/19/2019 5:39 AM

Ricky Carmichael's first MC beating Thats when the torch was passed.
I wish someone would repost it
|

1/19/2019 5:40 AM

☝️.... or should I say. Throw up that YouTube link. I can never find it

|

1/19/2019 5:44 AM

Everts/RC MXoN.





|