Improving Rider Safety - First Gear Caution Flags?

Thor34103
7/4/2017 3:50am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2017 12:56am
The flagging post got me thinking and I came across a letter in Cyclenews that addressed that and safety gear.

What about mandatory first gear in particular situations? Thoughts on requiring upper body protection? See Safety and Yellow Flags letter

http://magazine.cyclenews.com/h/i/349066282-cycle-news-issue-24-june-20…

|
Cortami79
7/4/2017 4:07am
IMO upper body protection should be required. Does Troy Lee demands from his riders to wear upper protection? Not sure about the flagging thing though.
7/4/2017 4:08am
Haha. Michael Rigdon. Name is familiar...

I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else over this matter. My opinion is things work ok. Not perfect, but ok.

My final thought is about factory ECUs. Man, those things are magic!
7/4/2017 5:31am
I agree upper body protection (front and back) should be required.

We are pretty fortunate to have tons of great selections vs 20 or even 10 years ago.
kkawboy14
7/4/2017 8:33am
Purple flag for a downed rider or bike just past the jump......or a yellow flag one jump ahead of the jump that a downed rider is at and a medic flag at the jump!

The Shop

Thor34103
7/4/2017 8:58am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Purple flag for a downed rider or bike just past the jump......or a yellow flag one jump ahead of the jump that a downed rider is...
Purple flag for a downed rider or bike just past the jump......or a yellow flag one jump ahead of the jump that a downed rider is at and a medic flag at the jump!
I like
7/4/2017 10:36am
Kind of off the topic of protective gear but on topic of rider safety but did anyone else see Cooper Webbs crash on the start of the first moto? He came about 3 feet of being impaled by one of the wooden stakes that hold up the repeater banners. I get they need the banners but is there not a better way to hold them up?
TXDirt
7/4/2017 10:42am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Purple flag for a downed rider or bike just past the jump......or a yellow flag one jump ahead of the jump that a downed rider is...
They struggle getting yellow and Red Cross flags out at the right times. A third flag will just create more confusion in my opinion. Throw less yellow flags and change rules to can't pass on a yellow.
Thor34103
7/4/2017 2:35pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
They struggle getting yellow and Red Cross flags out at the right times. A third flag will just create more confusion in my opinion. Throw less...
They struggle getting yellow and Red Cross flags out at the right times. A third flag will just create more confusion in my opinion. Throw less yellow flags and change rules to can't pass on a yellow.
What if flaggers were better qualified or trained? It isn't rocket science. Rider safety should be. I feel the MX Nationals are true racing, but with Feld controlling SX it's more a show. Does that make rider safety secondary?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/4/2017 5:20pm
Kind of off the topic of protective gear but on topic of rider safety but did anyone else see Cooper Webbs crash on the start of...
Kind of off the topic of protective gear but on topic of rider safety but did anyone else see Cooper Webbs crash on the start of the first moto? He came about 3 feet of being impaled by one of the wooden stakes that hold up the repeater banners. I get they need the banners but is there not a better way to hold them up?
" 3 feet of being impaled " You are being overly dramatic Laughing You reach one conclusion out of a million or more other possible scenarios because it fits your agenda.
TXDirt
7/4/2017 5:29pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
They struggle getting yellow and Red Cross flags out at the right times. A third flag will just create more confusion in my opinion. Throw less...
Thor34103 wrote:
What if flaggers were better qualified or trained? It isn't rocket science. Rider safety should be. I feel the MX Nationals are true racing, but with...
What if flaggers were better qualified or trained? It isn't rocket science. Rider safety should be. I feel the MX Nationals are true racing, but with Feld controlling SX it's more a show. Does that make rider safety secondary?
Ok, so if they struggle to train and find qualified people to use two flags what makes you think it's any easier finding and training people to use three flags?

First, throw less yellows. The riders see so many meaningless yellows during the race that they pretty much don't care about them. So let's be more judicious when throwing them.

Second, prohibit passing under a yellow. This will allow the riders to check up a bit knowing they can't pass or be passed.

Problem solved.
Justin345
7/4/2017 5:37pm
I started to read what you wrote and then got distracted by how many tabs you have open.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
7/4/2017 6:49pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
Thor34103 wrote:
What if flaggers were better qualified or trained? It isn't rocket science. Rider safety should be. I feel the MX Nationals are true racing, but with...
when riders are not slowing down for yellow flags, does it matter who is waving them

this flag suggested is no different to the wheels on the ground red cross flag, and when it first came in people complained it was being used to much,
aees
7/5/2017 2:17am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2017 2:18am
We have a system that can work, if used properly and maybe minor adjustment.

Yellow flagg: Causion, there might be something blocking your line
Red/white flagg: Wheels on ground, adapt speed to be able to stop on notice or when needed

Red white flagg shall be used ANY time there is a risk of riders or bike colliding unless slowed down and wheels on ground.

So APs situation should have been red/white flagged, no doubt. Bike 100feet away that you can clearly see, yellow flagg.

The issue as you can see is redcross flagg is used only when medics on track, or medics on their way to the rider.
Husky360
7/5/2017 2:52am
Kind of off the topic of protective gear but on topic of rider safety but did anyone else see Cooper Webbs crash on the start of...
lostboy819 wrote:
" 3 feet of being impaled " You are being overly dramatic :laugh: You reach one conclusion out of a million or more other possible scenarios...
" 3 feet of being impaled " You are being overly dramatic Laughing You reach one conclusion out of a million or more other possible scenarios because it fits your agenda.
What is this agenda jorgechavez has? One of your riders was impaled at Steel City or Unadilla around 2008. Ask that rider if jorgechavez is being dramatic.

Husky360
7/5/2017 3:02am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2017 3:22am
scott_nz wrote:
when riders are not slowing down for yellow flags, does it matter who is waving them this flag suggested is no different to the wheels on...
when riders are not slowing down for yellow flags, does it matter who is waving them

this flag suggested is no different to the wheels on the ground red cross flag, and when it first came in people complained it was being used to much,
It doesn't matter who is waving them. Good point.

It sounds like the suggested first gear flag with ECU verification is completely different to the wheels on ground and red cross flag. Not sure how enforcement would work on this but it's another electronic approach.

rancor19
7/5/2017 4:28am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2017 4:30am
Husky360 wrote:
What is this agenda jorgechavez has? One of your riders was impaled at Steel City or Unadilla around 2008. Ask that rider if jorgechavez is being...
What is this agenda jorgechavez has? One of your riders was impaled at Steel City or Unadilla around 2008. Ask that rider if jorgechavez is being dramatic.

Seems obvious his agenda is to find another way to hold up repeater banners to prevent riders from being impaled.

What a scumbag.

/sarc
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/5/2017 7:28am
lostboy819 wrote:
" 3 feet of being impaled " You are being overly dramatic :laugh: You reach one conclusion out of a million or more other possible scenarios...
Husky360 wrote:
What is this agenda jorgechavez has? One of your riders was impaled at Steel City or Unadilla around 2008. Ask that rider if jorgechavez is being...

One year I came within 6 inches of hitting a tree head on at Mammoth Mountain 8 laps in a row. Pinch
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
7/5/2017 7:57am
lostboy819 wrote:
Husky360 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:
One year I came within 6 inches of hitting a tree head on at Mammoth Mountain 8 laps in a row. Pinch
My dad hit the tree coming down the hill one year. The next year they had the yellow pad wrapped around it. He still doesn't have feeling in his upper thigh
Husky360
7/6/2017 12:42am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2017 12:56am
lostboy819 wrote:
Husky360 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:
What does you racing at Mammoth have to do with jorgechavez having an agenda and what is his agenda? Coming close a tree for 8 laps in a row isn't the same thing as Webb being shot off the course into the banners at the start.

Post a reply to: Improving Rider Safety - First Gear Caution Flags?

The Latest