More bike buying advice

Looking to get back into the sport, I have a little boy now that I can't wait to get him on a bike. Turns 3 this october.
Anyway, I haven't been at a dealership in awhile pertaining to motocross bikes so I am wondering how to best approach this and try to get the best bang for my buck.
Do the salesman give a shit if I also need to go drop $1500+ in gear the same day in their dealership? Do they get paid for the sales amount or just moving the bike? I don't want to be the guy haggling prices so they make minimal profit but at the same time, need all new gear x2.
Its minimal work on their end, I know what bikes I want I just need a price that makes me feel better about buying the good gear I want.
I am shooting for a 2020 yz450f and like a crf 50/pw50/ttr50. I don't even know what a fair price for the yamaha would be because everybody is paying different OTD prices.
Paying cash by the way, I just don't want to look like a dick and would prefer a easy transaction for both sides.

Edit: I have reached out to 2 larger dealerships locally. 1 said the 2020 yz is out of the stock, the other still did not give me a price even though I was very specific like I was here.
|
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/3/2020 1:48pm
You might not find much of anything on the dealer floor at this point and 50s of any brand are scarce and go for top dollar. Sad
8/3/2020 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2020 1:53pm
lostboy819 wrote:
You might not find much of anything on the dealer floor at this point and 50s of any brand are scarce and go for top dollar...
You might not find much of anything on the dealer floor at this point and 50s of any brand are scarce and go for top dollar. Sad
I've been looking at used, just curious what the going rate on a new model would be OTD. I've been talking to a guy who has a 2016 ttr50 who is asking 1500. Factoring is theres no tax etc to be charged that sounds kind of fair but like I said I have been away for so long I just don't know. for the 50cc bike atleast. I kind of have my heart set on the 2020 yamaha for some reason.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/3/2020 1:58pm
The price game is tough for a dealer. If he tells you a realistic price, anybody will beat that price by $50 or $100 (or $500.)
The sales guy probably doesn't give 2 craps whether you buy a stick of gum or all the gear in the parts department; he's probably only motivated by the sale of the motorcycle. (There are exceptions, of course.)
Cash deals are less desirable for a dealer. They make money on financing.

My suggestion would be to walk in and make a reasonable offer that you will pay. Let them know up front that it is a cash offer. Be prepared for them to try and haggle, but be firm with your offer. If you have a reasonable price in mind, the dealer will do it. (By reasonable, I mean something like "I'll pay regular MSRP but no set up or freight - you pay that," or "I'm buying 2 bikes today; give me your dealer cost on all the gear I need.")

Motorcycle dealers do not make a ton of money on MX bikes, so keep that in mind.
Rickyisms
8/3/2020 1:58pm
Most salesman get paid percentage of the profit made on the bike. Parts guys will make commission off the gear and should give you a discount for buying a bike or two that day.

The Shop

Rickyisms
8/3/2020 1:59pm
Also, as someone who works at a dealership I appreciate you buying your gear and accessories locally instead of ordering online.
crowe176
8/3/2020 2:00pm
I don’t know how far you are from Championship Powersports in Toledo, but I used to get all my bikes from there when I was younger and trying to avoid local relationships and taxes (haha) and they were awesome with OTD prices.
yz133rider
8/3/2020 2:02pm
It’s a 5 hr drive from you but will likely be the cheapest price you’ll find, tri county Honda will get you a killer deal on a 21 Yamaha 250 once they arrive.

I don’t know any dealers closer to you than that as I’m not from your area.

I’d say get gear online as dealers rarely if ever are competitive price wise on gear.
LungButter
8/3/2020 2:04pm
I've been looking at used, just curious what the going rate on a new model would be OTD. I've been talking to a guy who has...
I've been looking at used, just curious what the going rate on a new model would be OTD. I've been talking to a guy who has a 2016 ttr50 who is asking 1500. Factoring is theres no tax etc to be charged that sounds kind of fair but like I said I have been away for so long I just don't know. for the 50cc bike atleast. I kind of have my heart set on the 2020 yamaha for some reason.
In my opinion the Honda and TTR 50 are in a different class than the PW 50.

A lot of kids are able to ride a PW a full year before they are able to ride the other 2.

Just something to think about.
8/3/2020 2:16pm
LungButter wrote:
In my opinion the Honda and TTR 50 are in a different class than the PW 50. A lot of kids are able to ride a...
In my opinion the Honda and TTR 50 are in a different class than the PW 50.

A lot of kids are able to ride a PW a full year before they are able to ride the other 2.

Just something to think about.
yeah you are definitely right. I won't be 100% sure until I can see one in person again but my son is big for his age (3'3 currently) and figured if I set him up with training wheels and the throttle screw he should be fine. I heard the pw50s don't do so hot with bigger hills so once he grew into the bike with no training wheels+throttle restriction he could come on the track with me in a couple years without needing a new bike.
8/3/2020 2:18pm
crowe176 wrote:
I don’t know how far you are from Championship Powersports in Toledo, but I used to get all my bikes from there when I was younger...
I don’t know how far you are from Championship Powersports in Toledo, but I used to get all my bikes from there when I was younger and trying to avoid local relationships and taxes (haha) and they were awesome with OTD prices.
only 2hrs. not terrible so i will reach out to them as well. Thanks for the lead
LungButter
8/3/2020 2:46pm
yeah you are definitely right. I won't be 100% sure until I can see one in person again but my son is big for his age...
yeah you are definitely right. I won't be 100% sure until I can see one in person again but my son is big for his age (3'3 currently) and figured if I set him up with training wheels and the throttle screw he should be fine. I heard the pw50s don't do so hot with bigger hills so once he grew into the bike with no training wheels+throttle restriction he could come on the track with me in a couple years without needing a new bike.
The PW is not a powerhouse by any means! Laughing

Next year when my boy is more aggressive I'm gonna put this kit on it and maybe one of their exhausts. Seems like a cheap option.

https://pwonly.com/product/pw50-cylinder-kit-power-plate/
Pirate421
8/3/2020 5:40pm
IMO if your kid is 3 you could also run down to a Stacyc dealer and grab a 16” bike for $600. There are a lot of kids of all speeds and sizes who love those things and he will progress much faster than throwing him on a clapped out PW with training wheels. Zero maintenance and they are actually pretty fast with three speed selections. I have no ties to them but my 7 yr girl loved hers and had never ridden a dirtbike and got right on it.
8/4/2020 7:37am
Pirate421 wrote:
IMO if your kid is 3 you could also run down to a Stacyc dealer and grab a 16” bike for $600. There are a lot...
IMO if your kid is 3 you could also run down to a Stacyc dealer and grab a 16” bike for $600. There are a lot of kids of all speeds and sizes who love those things and he will progress much faster than throwing him on a clapped out PW with training wheels. Zero maintenance and they are actually pretty fast with three speed selections. I have no ties to them but my 7 yr girl loved hers and had never ridden a dirtbike and got right on it.
Those are interesting, never knew those existed and kind of wish I had one at that age. How long did you have yours for? I see people saying they died within the first few months - year. That true or is it just reviewers being reviewers?
Spooner
8/4/2020 10:44am
Pirate421 wrote:
IMO if your kid is 3 you could also run down to a Stacyc dealer and grab a 16” bike for $600. There are a lot...
Those are interesting, never knew those existed and kind of wish I had one at that age. How long did you have yours for? I see...
Those are interesting, never knew those existed and kind of wish I had one at that age. How long did you have yours for? I see people saying they died within the first few months - year. That true or is it just reviewers being reviewers?
Make sure you get the new brushless motor version if you go that route. I haven't had any issues with them for my two boys but they don't ride the crap out of them. The 12" seems fine, but the bigger wheels on the 16' seems to stress the motors but the more powerful brushless seems to be better so far.
Pirate421
8/4/2020 2:32pm
Those are interesting, never knew those existed and kind of wish I had one at that age. How long did you have yours for? I see...
We didn’t put huge hours on hers but it seemed fine. They really are cool and I wish I had one. I used to ride it quite a bit even though it’s not recommended but it’s too hard to resist. They even look like they make taller bars for kids who look to be about 8 or so you’d have a few years with it for only $600 or so. I also sold hers because we were moving and I got just about what I paid for it back

Post a reply to: More bike buying advice

The Latest