More Harley Davidson Trouble

Related:
Create New Tag

10/16/2019 11:12 PM

Seems they are pulling production on their full size livewire bikes. Things seem bleak over there.

https://www.ibtimes.com/harley-davidson-suspends-production-delivery-all-livewire-motorcycles-2847589

|

Ex Pro BMX rider. Lover of all 2 wheeled machines.

1978 XR75
1994 KX250
1997 KX250
2008 CRF450
2004 YZ250

10/17/2019 5:23 AM

Could've sold more Alta's....

|

10/17/2019 5:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 5:39 AM

I think this is already being discussed in the other thread on this topic.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Harley-Electric-not-flying-off-dealer-floors,1366420?page=4#post_4329334

Page 4

|

10/17/2019 5:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 5:40 AM

Casting wrote:

I think this is already being discussed in the other thread on this topic.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Harley-Electric-not-flying-off-dealer-floors,1366420?page=4#post_4329334

Page 4

Mods moved it to non moto for some reason.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Harley-Electric-not-flying-off-dealer-floors,1366420

EDIT: beat me to the link...

|

10/17/2019 5:46 AM

Consumers aren't ready to go all in on electric? Shocking.

|

10/17/2019 5:48 AM

What dis they think was going to happen when they release a highly overpriced electric sport bike to Harley VTwin audiences? Harley sales are already down because they think they can sell a Street Glide with a new paint scheme for $5k more than the previous year. I love HD but they are losing their minds with the price of bikes.

|

2013 CRF450R Factory Connection revalve, All stock.

10/17/2019 6:46 AM

kaptkaos wrote:

What dis they think was going to happen when they release a highly overpriced electric sport bike to Harley VTwin audiences? Harley sales are already down because they think they can sell a Street Glide with a new paint scheme for $5k more than the previous year. I love HD but they are losing their minds with the price of bikes.

People want made in America until they have to pay for made in America.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

10/17/2019 6:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 6:52 AM

Slow charging maybe catching on fire from over heating?

|

10/17/2019 7:06 AM

Its easier to blame charging speed and pulling the product than to admit the bike and price is simply not a good feasible product

|

10/17/2019 7:13 AM

They should have released their small E-bikes first. They had some good looking concepts that would have been attainable for their target audience. The livewire was supposed to be a flagship that combines a green status symbol with a Harley status symbol for tech bros, they should have worked up to it IMHO.

|

10/17/2019 7:17 AM

There is something about riding a motorcycle with a gasoline powered motor, MX, street, cruiser, single, twin or 4 cylinder that I don’t think you get with an electric. No sound, no vibration, no exhaust or fuel fumes. I am not saying there is not a place for electric, but to me my opinion is it would seem more like a toy to me than a motorcycle.

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

10/17/2019 7:21 AM

alta strike 1
live wire strike 2

what a bunch of clowns

|

10/17/2019 7:45 AM

bvm111 wrote:

There is something about riding a motorcycle with a gasoline powered motor, MX, street, cruiser, single, twin or 4 cylinder that I don’t think you get with an electric. No sound, no vibration, no exhaust or fuel fumes. I am not saying there is not a place for electric, but to me my opinion is it would seem more like a toy to me than a motorcycle.

Agree 100%.
I think that when the only way we’ll get away with riding (earth nuts, developers etc) is to go electric is when it will become a feasible option that becomes popular. I wouldn’t go electric until I was forced to....

...of course I said I’d find another hobby before I’d ride a four-stroke, too, and I see how that worked out...laughing

|

10/17/2019 7:45 AM

bvm111 wrote:

Electric motorcycling will evolve up from electric scooters/E-bikes, not down from full-size motorcycles.

|

10/17/2019 7:49 AM

Great decisions being made over there at Harley...

|

10/17/2019 8:05 AM

HIP HIP HOORAY!

Another American Company with issues.

Hopefully this will kill the brand!
|

10/17/2019 8:09 AM

early wrote:

Electric motorcycling will evolve up from electric scooters/E-bikes, not down from full-size motorcycles.

Ex-Alta Motors employees just took their shirts off.

|

10/17/2019 8:13 AM

I don't understand the hate for Harley on this forum. If their product isn't your cup of tea I get that but it seems like many here have a grudge against the brand and that I don't get. I love everything two wheeled personally.

|

10/17/2019 8:31 AM

I worked as a mechanic for hd, i went to school and chose hd course, hd sent me to dealership sponsored training out of state. While I ride one ,(everyday I can) the company seems to suffer from bad marketing decisions. Buell/V Rod were innovative, but poorly executed. There were watercooled units, but that has died in bagger market. The brand has gained a following with a younger market with the dyna/fxr market, but those models are no longer in production. It seems the used bike, and aftermarket parts manufacturers are what's making the brand appear more successful than it is.

|

Livin' the dream, two wheels at a time!

10/17/2019 8:32 AM

motomike137 wrote:

I don't understand the hate for Harley on this forum. If their product isn't your cup of tea I get that but it seems like many here have a grudge against the brand and that I don't get. I love everything two wheeled personally.

Its because harley literally makes subpar products with a huge price premium.

When you look at what bikes you can buy from anyone else and compare it to harley you wonder why people even buy a harley.

Also, look at KTMs superduke 1290 vtwin. Its comperable in size to an 80CI engine. Harley has 114CI (1870cc) vtwins that dont even come close to the power the superduke has. Lets not forget the superduke can be made into a touring bike AND a track bike and weighs like 450lbs. Also it costs sub $20,000. Again, why buy a harley?

All the MFGs make cruisers cheaper and as capable or more capable than harley does. Again, why buy harley.

Other than “theyre cool and i can fit in”, im still searching for a legitimate reason to buy one. Then again this Kawasaki ZH2 is coming out.. looks way more fun than any cruiser..

|

10/17/2019 8:33 AM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

Ex-Alta Motors employees just took their shirts off.

That's fair, but these teething problems seen by Alta and Harley whether it's financial or electro-mechanical have the potential to sink the industry by leaving people with a bad taste in their mouths when it comes to a major personal investment in new technology. Many customers will come from those that are already comfortable with electric transportation but aren't necessarily motorcyclists already, 14k for a dirt bike or 30k for a Harley dramatically limits the pool of customers willing to take a dive. Put these out there for <5K and grow a new Harley customer base.

|

10/17/2019 8:42 AM

motomike137 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

When you look at what bikes you can buy from anyone else and compare it to harley you wonder why people even buy a harley.

Also, look at KTMs superduke 1290 vtwin. Its comperable in size to an 80CI engine. Harley has 114CI (1870cc) vtwins that dont even come close to the power the superduke has. Lets not forget the superduke can be made into a touring bike AND a track bike and weighs like 450lbs. Also it costs sub $20,000. Again, why buy a harley?

All the MFGs make cruisers cheaper and as capable or more capable than harley does. Again, why buy harley.

Other than “theyre cool and i can fit in”, im still searching for a legitimate reason to buy one. Then again this Kawasaki ZH2 is coming out.. looks way more fun than any cruiser..

Those debates existed since the intro of 4 cyl imports. People ride hd because they like them; just as any other motorcycle someone chooses. I've been riding 20yrs, I prefer hd on road. If I had a dollar for every "gidget bike" rider who always points out the lack of performance of my bike compared to theirs, I'd buy another Harley.

|

Livin' the dream, two wheels at a time!

10/17/2019 8:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 8:52 AM

motomike137 wrote:

There are responses that have legitimate opinions and considerations towards what is the "cuase and affect" of Harley's most recent marketing failure:

1. $30K (plus!) Electric Motorcycle marketed towards...well, who...? Again THIRTY K!
2. Could Have - Should Have marketed an actual smaller and more AFFORDABLE version/versions.
3. Appears to be an epic "fail" when it comes to realizing that such a large company did not do any -real & legitimate- market research. Bullshiting themselves at the "Board Room Level" seems to be an issue there. "If you build it, they will come" is for movies: it doesn't work out here, in the real world.

Creating more riders...
Getting people on motorcycles...again.
Getting families "back out there"...

There's a little known fact about the average Harley rider: they started out on a dirt bike out in a field...when they were a kid. I learned this during the creation of the USMCA (United States Motorcycle Coaching Association). There was an industry wide questionaire that had very broad participation, including involvement from Harley...and the answer to "How did you start riding?" was brought to the table...by Harley.

About the USMCA: They're all about strengthening the learning experience & doing all that can be done to get more people on motorcycles.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

10/17/2019 8:53 AM

They developed a very specific charger for the dealerships that can quick charge batteries in a short amount of time. These chargers are very specific to the requirements that the lithium ion batteries need and have the proper hardware and logic built into the charger to know how hard to charge it, when to shut it off, and can also detect problems within the cells of the battery pack. If the cells within the battery become unbalanced, it can detect that and prohibit a charge from occurring via a balance board circuit.

When the bike is charged at home through a 110V outlet, it relies on the hardware within the bike’s electrical system to administer a charge input cutoff signal to protect the cells from being over-charged or from administrating a charge to a degraded, unstable battery that has unbalanced cells.

Harley states they found a “non-standard condition during final quality checks” when charging the batteries on a 110V outlet. A little bit of industry research shows other EV manufacturers have recently experienced lithium-ion battery fires, due to faulty electrical hardware and logic, when charging on standard home outlets. I would make an educated assumption that they are just now getting to the point in their testing where they are seeing lithium-ion battery fires on batteries that are simulated to be a few years old. Lithium ion batteries degrade over time and can become more unstable if they are not routinely discharged and charged correctly, thus the cells within the battery become unbalanced and handle charging differently (heat). They are probably finding that they do not have the correct hardware and electrical logic within the bikes system to deal with a degraded and unbalanced battery pack, and without the fancy HD charger, a user could inadvertently induce an “event” when charging on a 110V outlet. They’ve realized it’s a significant enough engineering issue that its cheaper (and safer) to halt production than to continue to produce and sell the bikes and then offer a mandatory recall on the parts that need upgraded which in my mind tells me it’s going to be new circuitry within the electrical hardware, new programming, and probably a modified wiring harness. It would cost them a fortune to recall and have all of those parts replaced through their dealerships.

Lithium ion battery fires are no joke. They are violent and cannot be extinguished with a traditional fire extinguisher. So more than likely if a Livewire lithium ion battery ignites it’s going to be a total loss on the bike and quite possibly burn your whole garage down as well.

|

10/17/2019 9:11 AM

motomike137 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

Big deal. I raced a R&D-built YZ80 and a FMF Mini Elsinore. 💪👈 Those same years, I also rode a DT175 to school....a f'n DT175. 😐 And, I've owned 40 something other motorcycles in my lifetime, including 5 HD's. I've also done hard hours on BMW r1200rtp and Honda st1300pa duty bikes. Do I ride all bikes the same? Hell no. Do I love all bikes? You bet yer sweet ass I do! All of 'em....including that decrepit DT175.🏁

|

“Men, we are surrounded by the enemy. We have the greatest opportunity ever presented an army. We can attack in any direction.”
― General Anthony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne, while addressing troops at Bastogne during the Battle
of the Bulge.

10/17/2019 9:29 AM

I think there would be a market for electric scooters for people who need small commuter bikes or college campus bikes.

|

10/17/2019 9:39 AM

Excaliburbmx wrote:

I think there would be a market for electric scooters for people who need small commuter bikes or college campus bikes.

A grom or z125 sized bike would be sweet as an electric. Might be able to get more power too. Would be an affordable way for people to get into harley... maybe.

|

10/17/2019 9:52 AM

I used to ride Harley’s.

|

10/17/2019 9:53 AM

motomike137 wrote:

Because people have the attitude that "I don't like it, so therefore nobody else should either."

If ever bought another cruiser, a Harley would be the first one I looked at. Why? 1) They aren't these awful bikes like everyone thinks they are. 2) I just happen to like them.

I am a motorcycle "enthusiast"; I love everything with two wheels.

|

10/17/2019 10:44 AM

I remember another time Harley scrapped bikes that were obsolete before they hit the dealers floor...

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Sad face x sad sad

|