Mookie to Star Racing

Ray_MXS
10/29/2020 9:11am
Im sorry but McElarth and the Star Yamaha 450 should never be mentioned in the same sentence. #1 he just got let go by that team...
Im sorry but McElarth and the Star Yamaha 450 should never be mentioned in the same sentence. #1 he just got let go by that team. #2 He underperformed greatly on the 250f which is one of the best bikes on the gate.

Do you promote an employee who doesnt deliever? I doubt thats the idea they wanna give their 250 guys. They got future 450 talent in their 250 lineup to promote (ex: JMart and Craig).

Mookie is worth the results gamble all day (imho). His raw speed and high amount of exposure brought to the table is second to just few.
So by underperforming you mean getting 2nd overall in sx, only 9 points from winning, winning 3 races and only missing the podium once?

Or maybe that he finished 3rd overall in mx behind Ferrandis and Martin?

I'm not a fan of his by any stretch but underperforming isn't the word you're looking for.
gt80rider
10/29/2020 9:16am
super stoked for Mookie!!! Dude has the speed.... can't wait to see him hauling in 21'!!
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/29/2020 9:18am
rdrurypi wrote:
He tied for sixth this year.........
vdrsnk04 wrote:
Is that his first time in his what is it 4 years on 450’s? Edit: went ahead and grabbed the data. Sorry I like Mookie too...
Is that his first time in his what is it 4 years on 450’s?

Edit: went ahead and grabbed the data. Sorry I like Mookie too but he needs a better work ethic to become a title contender. 2020 was his fifth season in 450 and his first time cracking a top 10 championship finish. Dude is lucky he’s getting a ride of the caliber he is. Bring on the thumbs down.
rdrurypi wrote:
Have you been in a coma for the last two years? His 30th place in 2019 was because if broke his femur in either the second...
Have you been in a coma for the last two years? His 30th place in 2019 was because if broke his femur in either the second or third round and he almost won A1 in 2019. It seems his work ethic is no longer an issue, now if we can only get him to race outdoors.....

As for him being lucky to get a ride, you are delusional. I can make an easy argument that he will be the top guy on the team and likely a 5-7 guy all year.
I’m a Mookie fan, but are you saying he will outperform Ferrandis ? Blink
davistld01
10/29/2020 9:23am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2020 9:33am
langhammx wrote:
I think Ferrandis will have his share of miscues his first season in 450 SX...as most riders have had in the past coming from stellar performances in the 250's. Mookie has tons of experience, tons of talent, tons of speed...and good genes. Ferrandis will grow into a championship threat in the 450's...but Mookie is already there, for the most part.

The Shop

rdrurypi
10/29/2020 9:27am
vdrsnk04 wrote:
Is that his first time in his what is it 4 years on 450’s? Edit: went ahead and grabbed the data. Sorry I like Mookie too...

Edit: went ahead and grabbed the data. Sorry I like Mookie too but he needs a better work ethic to become a title contender. 2020 was his fifth season in 450 and his first time cracking a top 10 championship finish. Dude is lucky he’s getting a ride of the caliber he is. Bring on the thumbs down.
rdrurypi wrote:
Have you been in a coma for the last two years? His 30th place in 2019 was because if broke his femur in either the second...
Have you been in a coma for the last two years? His 30th place in 2019 was because if broke his femur in either the second or third round and he almost won A1 in 2019. It seems his work ethic is no longer an issue, now if we can only get him to race outdoors.....

As for him being lucky to get a ride, you are delusional. I can make an easy argument that he will be the top guy on the team and likely a 5-7 guy all year.
langhammx wrote:
I know Ferrandis hauls ass, but very few people can just jump on a 450 the first year and resume winning. It seems to take two years in Supercross before they figure it out. I know AC did great, but DF is a small dude on a big bike and I would guess that he is going to auger himself a few times and miss some races as he figures out how to control that beast.
berm surfer
10/29/2020 9:30am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2020 9:31am
Im sorry but McElarth and the Star Yamaha 450 should never be mentioned in the same sentence. #1 he just got let go by that team...
Im sorry but McElarth and the Star Yamaha 450 should never be mentioned in the same sentence. #1 he just got let go by that team. #2 He underperformed greatly on the 250f which is one of the best bikes on the gate.

Do you promote an employee who doesnt deliever? I doubt thats the idea they wanna give their 250 guys. They got future 450 talent in their 250 lineup to promote (ex: JMart and Craig).

Mookie is worth the results gamble all day (imho). His raw speed and high amount of exposure brought to the table is second to just few.
Ray_MXS wrote:
So by underperforming you mean getting 2nd overall in sx, only 9 points from winning, winning 3 races and only missing the podium once? Or maybe...
So by underperforming you mean getting 2nd overall in sx, only 9 points from winning, winning 3 races and only missing the podium once?

Or maybe that he finished 3rd overall in mx behind Ferrandis and Martin?

I'm not a fan of his by any stretch but underperforming isn't the word you're looking for.
What was his avg position in motocross? What was his results per round. You dont have to do the work dude its cool, your right that is still decent season overall, still not what im sure him or Yamaha was wanting though. Didnt they get him out of contract from TLD or how did that work?
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/29/2020 9:35am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2020 11:21am
rdrurypi wrote:

langhammx wrote:
rdrurypi wrote:
I know Ferrandis hauls ass, but very few people can just jump on a 450 the first year and resume winning. It seems to take two...
I know Ferrandis hauls ass, but very few people can just jump on a 450 the first year and resume winning. It seems to take two years in Supercross before they figure it out. I know AC did great, but DF is a small dude on a big bike and I would guess that he is going to auger himself a few times and miss some races as he figures out how to control that beast.
Well... I hope everyone can stay healthy and have a good year. I’d bet that Ferrandis salary is double or more compared to Mookie and I’m betting that Yamaha expects Ferrandis to be up front competing for podiums. I’d love to see Mookie ride to his abilities though, let’s hope he can stay healthy and end up with a win or two.
chasetwo79
10/29/2020 10:09am

I’m totally a Mookie fan and am pumped for him to have the ride. Honestly, I don’t even like SM or all the shit he talks, but to say he “underperformed greatly” is a stretch. He missed winning the SX title by a few points and finished 3rd in MX.

That matched his best ever SX finish and was by far his best MX overall finish.

People need to rethink their standards as fans in this sport. He got beat by 2 guys riding factory 450s next year and a dude who already has 2 titles outdoors.

That being said, Mookie is the much safer 450 bet for at least SX only for next year, but if Shane lands on an MCR bike, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him beat Mookie either, at least in SX. Dude can rail SX tracks. He’s like 2 bad decisions away from being a two-time champion and then we are having an entirely different discussion.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4295th
10/29/2020 10:38am
rdrurypi wrote:
He tied for sixth this year.........
vdrsnk04 wrote:

rdrurypi wrote:

If he finishes in the championship in 5-7 place I’ll be very shocked. Historically he has some good races and also terrible races and doesn’t stay healthy so he ends up being a 10-20 guy.
theToothPerry
10/29/2020 11:03am
vdrsnk04 wrote:
If he finishes in the championship in 5-7 place I’ll be very shocked. Historically he has some good races and also terrible races and doesn’t stay...
If he finishes in the championship in 5-7 place I’ll be very shocked. Historically he has some good races and also terrible races and doesn’t stay healthy so he ends up being a 10-20 guy.
7th place in the 2020 overall standings Silly
rdrurypi
10/29/2020 11:14am
langhammx wrote:
rdrurypi wrote:
I know Ferrandis hauls ass, but very few people can just jump on a 450 the first year and resume winning. It seems to take two...
langhammx wrote:
Well... I hope everyone can stay healthy and have a good year. I’d bet that Ferrandis salary is double or more compared to Mookie and I’m...
Well... I hope everyone can stay healthy and have a good year. I’d bet that Ferrandis salary is double or more compared to Mookie and I’m betting that Yamaha expects Ferrandis to be up front competing for podiums. I’d love to see Mookie ride to his abilities though, let’s hope he can stay healthy and end up with a win or two.
Congratulations on the Mookie scoop yesterday. That little bit of news made my day!
Lightning78
10/29/2020 11:20am
I cant wait for Ferrandis to tell all of us how the 450 suits his riding style better 😂😂
BroFoSho
10/29/2020 11:25am
vdrsnk04 wrote:
If he finishes in the championship in 5-7 place I’ll be very shocked. Historically he has some good races and also terrible races and doesn’t stay...
You must have been very shocked the past three years then.

He tied for 6th in the standings in 2020. In 2019, he was 7th in the standings before he went out with a broken femur. In 2018, he was 7th overall in the series and didn't even race all the races!
mx317
10/29/2020 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2020 8:24am
vdrsnk04 wrote:
BroFoSho wrote:
You must have been very shocked the past three years then. He tied for 6th in the standings in 2020. In 2019, he was 7th in...

He tied for 6th in the standings in 2020. In 2019, he was 7th in the standings before he went out with a broken femur. In 2018, he was 7th overall in the series and didn't even race all the races!
In 18 he was 11th, 17 he was 15th. I'm a Mookie fan, but your facts are wrong.
Dimblewambie
10/29/2020 12:17pm
Really happy for Mookie! I hope this can transpire into a multi year deal.
peltier626
10/29/2020 1:10pm
Awesome for Mookie. I'm excited to see Malcolm on the Yamaha and Barcia on the Gas Gas.
chasetwo79
10/29/2020 1:21pm
Last year was only his 4th full time 450 season since winning the 250 title in 2016. He didn’t race a full season in any of the first three years and in 2019 with the broken femur he missed all but 3 rounds.

So collectively coming into 2020 he had about two seasons worth of races under his belt. He also landed on the best equipment of his 450 career. Put the two together and he had his best year ever. Now he’s on factory equipment for the first time on a 450.

With a move to an even higher level team, higher expectations, and a strong year under his belt I think it’s reasonable to expect him to improve, barring injury.

I think he needs to be 4-6th in points, win his first career 450 race, or get several podiums to meet expectations for next year.

It isn’t unreasonable to expect him to improve for the next 2-3 seasons before hitting a wall. He is still going, just now hitting his physical prime, and has continuity with a trainer.

If he stays healthy, I think he is the best rider on the team next year, with some close battles with DF who will crash out of a few races as all rookies do.

This year is gonna be so sick.
10/29/2020 1:43pm
agn5009 wrote:
Maybe Vitards should rethink bashing a team that supports so many riders in the sport we all love. What a cesspool of BS that thread was...
Maybe Vitards should rethink bashing a team that supports so many riders in the sport we all love. What a cesspool of BS that thread was.

I'm happy and excited to see what Mookie can do on this team. I too would love to see him racing outdoors as well but unfortunately it doesn't sound like he's going to.
Agreed on your first point. I always shake my head when I see people talking shit about Monster on here. I don’t like the drink but I think this sport would look a lot different if it wasn’t for them.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4295th
10/29/2020 2:17pm
vdrsnk04 wrote:
Guess the shorter series proved easier to stay healthy 🤷‍♂️
yz133rider
10/29/2020 2:18pm
vdrsnk04 wrote:
vdrsnk04 wrote:
The one where they did all 17 rounds as usual?
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4295th
10/29/2020 2:18pm
vdrsnk04 wrote:
BroFoSho wrote:
You must have been very shocked the past three years then. He tied for 6th in the standings in 2020. In 2019, he was 7th in...

Exactly what “if he can stay healthy” Means...

And check your stats where he finished at in 2018...
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4295th
10/29/2020 2:27pm
vdrsnk04 wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
The one where they did all 17 rounds as usual?
Yep was def a season with an asterisk. Also him getting 7th in 2020 goes back to my post a page ago that said he’s had one 450 season with a top 10 finish in 4 seasons. So I don’t see why people say he’s a Champ contender or why he deserves a top factory ride. His average 450 career finish is 16th place....
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4295th
10/29/2020 2:33pm

chasetwo79 wrote:
I’m totally a Mookie fan and am pumped for him to have the ride. Honestly, I don’t even like SM or all the shit he talks...
I’m totally a Mookie fan and am pumped for him to have the ride. Honestly, I don’t even like SM or all the shit he talks, but to say he “underperformed greatly” is a stretch. He missed winning the SX title by a few points and finished 3rd in MX.

That matched his best ever SX finish and was by far his best MX overall finish.

People need to rethink their standards as fans in this sport. He got beat by 2 guys riding factory 450s next year and a dude who already has 2 titles outdoors.

That being said, Mookie is the much safer 450 bet for at least SX only for next year, but if Shane lands on an MCR bike, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him beat Mookie either, at least in SX. Dude can rail SX tracks. He’s like 2 bad decisions away from being a two-time champion and then we are having an entirely different discussion.
Completely agree.
10/29/2020 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2020 4:31pm
chasetwo79 wrote:
Last year was only his 4th full time 450 season since winning the 250 title in 2016. He didn’t race a full season in any of...
Last year was only his 4th full time 450 season since winning the 250 title in 2016. He didn’t race a full season in any of the first three years and in 2019 with the broken femur he missed all but 3 rounds.

So collectively coming into 2020 he had about two seasons worth of races under his belt. He also landed on the best equipment of his 450 career. Put the two together and he had his best year ever. Now he’s on factory equipment for the first time on a 450.

With a move to an even higher level team, higher expectations, and a strong year under his belt I think it’s reasonable to expect him to improve, barring injury.

I think he needs to be 4-6th in points, win his first career 450 race, or get several podiums to meet expectations for next year.

It isn’t unreasonable to expect him to improve for the next 2-3 seasons before hitting a wall. He is still going, just now hitting his physical prime, and has continuity with a trainer.

If he stays healthy, I think he is the best rider on the team next year, with some close battles with DF who will crash out of a few races as all rookies do.

This year is gonna be so sick.
This isn't his first time on a factory 450. He rode for JGR.
BS12
10/29/2020 5:05pm
vdrsnk04 wrote:
Yep was def a season with an asterisk. Also him getting 7th in 2020 goes back to my post a page ago that said he’s had...
Yep was def a season with an asterisk. Also him getting 7th in 2020 goes back to my post a page ago that said he’s had one 450 season with a top 10 finish in 4 seasons. So I don’t see why people say he’s a Champ contender or why he deserves a top factory ride. His average 450 career finish is 16th place....
Stop being a prick.
soulberg3
10/29/2020 5:13pm
vdrsnk04 wrote:
Yep was def a season with an asterisk. Also him getting 7th in 2020 goes back to my post a page ago that said he’s had...
BS12 wrote:
Stop being a prick.
I mean I get where he's coming from. Mookie really hasn't had anything remarkable happen in the 450s, he had three wins in his SX championship in 2016 & that was his breakout season. I really hope that the Yamaha does well for him & he gets some consistent finishes this year. He ABSOLUTELY has the speed to be upfront, but while he has the speed, he has trouble making it through the season without getting hurt. Mookie is an awesome guy to have in the sport, but he needs a couple of solid seasons without getting hurt before I'll consider him a title threat or a win threat.

Post a reply to: Mookie to Star Racing

The Latest