Montreal Supercross Returns

berno929
Fantasy
2511th
9/16/2018 6:20am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2018 6:39am
75% of the crowd? More like 10%. Also, some people outside the stadium asked me for directions to get into the stadium to see the ''car thing'' and they had hard tickets (people who bought their tickets printed them). A lady with a kid inside the stadium also asked me for directions to their seat and they clearly had no idea what they were there for. Actual number of tickets sold must be bad.

The show was good. Much better than the last few times they had it. I think they could have incorporated a little more racing in the program. it was a bit long in between the races. 2nd intermission was useless (nobody got up). Having the girls class made the crowd realize how good the pros were... I'd get rid of 1 of the 2 amateur class and have a 2nd 250 main. They should also have a head-to-head thing with the top qualifiers.

How's Mike Alessi? I caught the end of his crash. Looked like he was under his bike between 2 whoops and another rider used Mike's bike as a bridge to cross the whoops.

TeamGreen
9/16/2018 6:33am
berno929 wrote:
75% of the crowd? More like 10%. Also, some people outside the stadium asked me for directions to get into the stadium to see the ''car...
75% of the crowd? More like 10%. Also, some people outside the stadium asked me for directions to get into the stadium to see the ''car thing'' and they had hard tickets (people who bought their tickets printed them). A lady with a kid inside the stadium also asked me for directions to their seat and they clearly had no idea what they were there for. Actual number of tickets sold must be bad.

The show was good. Much better than the last few times they had it. I think they could have incorporated a little more racing in the program. it was a bit long in between the races. 2nd intermission was useless (nobody got up). Having the girls class made the crowd realize how good the pros were... I'd get rid of 1 of the 2 amateur class and have a 2nd 250 main. They should also have a head-to-head thing with the top qualifiers.

How's Mike Alessi? I caught the end of his crash. Looked like he was under his bike between 2 whoops and another rider used Mike's bike as a bridge to cross the whoops.

Mike left the stadium with the top of his head wrapped like a mummy (That’s not meant to be funny). He was petty banged up and I’m told he’s got some sort of cut on his forehead. He was walking slow and easy. He appears to have banged up his knee, too.
lestat
9/16/2018 7:23am
What happened to Benoit ?

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/16/2018 7:31am
For those that don't know yet Phil Nicoletti's deal with the Rockstar Energy Yamaha OTSFF Team is for the next two years and he will also be wearing FXR gear.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/16/2018 7:33am
lestat wrote:
What happened to Benoit ?
First turn crash and the reports are not good. We might need to replace him for MXdN.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/16/2018 7:34am
Benoit broken thumb (crash 1st turn of the 1st moto) - will miss mxon Sad (((((
I've heard dislocated thumb but I've also heard broken wrist.
Titane
9/16/2018 2:35pm
Hey Mav
Do you have any pic of the 2nd 450 start ?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/16/2018 3:07pm
No, but both Malcolm and Nichols didn't get the best start in the 2nd main event so they had to work through the pack to get on the podium.

Not sure if you saw but I posted a sequence of how Malcom got into the lead in the previous pages.

What's the reason you're looking for a pic of the 2nd main event? I can maybe try and find something.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/16/2018 3:11pm
Monster Energy Alpinestars Piller's Kawasaki Team Riders.

MXMattii
9/16/2018 4:14pm
Montreal should be on the "World Supercross Championship" calendar. After the New Jersey round or something like that.
Titane
9/16/2018 5:27pm
Because I’m Soubeyras mech and would like to know if you have one pic of his Holeshot in 2nd main ? but yeah I checked all your pictures
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/16/2018 6:16pm
Titane wrote:
Because I’m Soubeyras mech and would like to know if you have one pic of his Holeshot in 2nd main ? but yeah I checked all...
Because I’m Soubeyras mech and would like to know if you have one pic of his Holeshot in 2nd main ? but yeah I checked all your pictures
That's pretty cool. I'll keep a lookout for some more pictures. Malheureusement j'ai seulement les photos suivante.

FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
9/16/2018 7:03pm
Awesome Maverick, very cool of you.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
9/16/2018 7:43pm
FLmxer wrote:
Awesome Maverick, very cool of you.
Gotta say, Maverick did a great job of getting pictures and info for this event, thank you.

I think it appeared to be a great event that definitely needs some tweaking but hopefully can continue and grow.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
9/16/2018 7:51pm
What do you guys think of the fact that some of the US riders were paid start money (Stewart) and the regular series guys had to race there? And this was an extra race to the championship plus new riders stole points from the regulars.

I guess that’s what happens when the event wasn’t planned for to be incorporated into the series at first.
jbrown15
9/16/2018 9:20pm
Ramrod wrote:
What do you guys think of the fact that some of the US riders were paid start money (Stewart) and the regular series guys had to...
What do you guys think of the fact that some of the US riders were paid start money (Stewart) and the regular series guys had to race there? And this was an extra race to the championship plus new riders stole points from the regulars.

I guess that’s what happens when the event wasn’t planned for to be incorporated into the series at first.
I think it kind of reeks of bush league bs. I really hope the promoter or Jetwerx kicked a little cash to the teams to help cover some added expenses. When Jetwerx announced the Triple Crown series there was only supposed to be three supercross rounds and that’s what teams budgeted for. Then they add a four round and expect guys to show up or they’d lose points, and then on top of that US riders are getting appearance money.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/16/2018 10:57pm
Ramrod wrote:
What do you guys think of the fact that some of the US riders were paid start money (Stewart) and the regular series guys had to...

I apologize in advance for the long post.

My take on it. I don't have a problem with the US and French riders getting an appearance fee. It was necessary to invite some bigger names in order to try and drive interest in the event. Remember it's been 6 years since a race was put on in the Olympic stadium and this was the first go at it for the promoters. They had to do whatever they can in order to try and make the event a success.

Concerning the appearance fees paid to the invited riders it's completely normal. Those guys suit up and go to work just like anyone of us and none of us expect to go to work for free. As far as the regular series guy's that lined up for the event most of them already get a salary from their team/manufacturer. Some had contracts to run all 3 series (AX, MX & SX) and some had contracts just for the MX portion of the series. Regardless of their contract the Montreal SX wasn't scheduled to be part of the original SX schedule. I'm sure negotiations took place between the riders and their team in regards to compensation to race an extra event. They might not have received an appearance fee but I'm sure they got compensated.

I can see why Jetwerx partnered up with the Gestev group. Without them adding the Montreal SX to their schedule I think Gestev would of had to pull the plug on the event or fill the gates with local pro's from Montreal and the surrounding area. Now was that Jetwerx's problem if the event tanked? Yes and no. No in the sense that it wasn't their event and not their money on the line. The yes comes in the part that they want to grow the sport of motocross in Canada and help develop riders so that they can compete not only in Canada but on the world stage. The way to do that is to put on AX and SX series so that the riders coming up through the ranks get use to indoor/close racing from a young age and develop their skills as the years go by. That way once they reach pro status riding AX/SX won't be a foreign concept to them and will have more of a chance to succeed when/if they decide to try their hand at the US Supercross series.

It's important for the Montreal SX to be a success so that we as Canadians can continue to put on legit events that has interest throughout the world and not just Canada. That's the only way to grow the series. The more interest the series receives the better chance it has at making money. The more money it makes the more they can put back into the series. With that comes more teams and with more teams comes more paid rides. The more riders we have the more the series gets competitive and that's a good thing. It just elevates the caliber of the Canadian series on the world stage and that's what we want.

Currently some Canadians are getting paid rides in Canada but the more talent we can produce the more chances we stand at having Canadian riders geting paid rides in the US, MXGP, etc. and that's one of Jetwerx's goal. To produce world class athletes/racers.

That said I do hope that Gestev & Jetwerx kicked some money to the teams for them to make an appearance. Like jbrown15 mentioned the teams had not budgeted for this extra race and there's big expenses that come along with racing the extra round.

As for the points being taken away from the series regular it's no different than a top rider coming back from injury midway through a series and start accumulating points toward the championship. In this case it was only for 1 round and not the entire 4 round series. Will it make a difference in who will win the Rockstar Energy Triple Crown 100k bonus payout for scoring the most points across all 3 series (AX, MX & SX) absolutely but again it's no different than an injured rider coming back from injury.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/17/2018 12:42am
Some news in regards to the Montreal Supercross.

The event will be back for at least the next two years as this was the first year of a 3 year deal.

Looking forward to seeing it grow and becoming a permanent fixture in the series.
9/17/2018 1:39am
Nice job Mav - for providing great info on the race. Bummer on B getting injured - who's a likely backup for him for MXDN?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/17/2018 1:51am
Nice job Mav - for providing great info on the race. Bummer on B getting injured - who's a likely backup for him for MXDN?
Replacements being considered are Tyler Medaglia and Cole Thompson. Both great options.

Tyler finished 4th in the 450 standings up here and recently finished 6th overall at the Ironman National which was enough to give him number 84 for 2019. Cole finished 2nd in the 450 standings and has had good results down South in the past.

Tough choice to make.
9/17/2018 4:40am
I thought the racing was pretty good and overall the event was full and had a good vibe. The only things I would have liked would be if they halved the announcement volume. It was way too loud. Our entire section (215) we’re covering their ears. A bit more English for anyone who didn’t or couldn’t follow high speed French and if they had put the running order on the side screens as it was hard to see the jumbo Troy. Aside from that it was a cool show.
BobKerr
9/17/2018 5:29am
djc wrote:
Awsome for mookie. This year there should be no excuses now that he has a ride.
MxKing809 wrote:
He only has an off-season contract. Still nothing for SX
Yup, but hopefully going 1-1-1 helps pull in some sponsors to fund him on the team next year. He must be doing something right in his program to come out and sweep all three races! Great job.
jbrown15
9/17/2018 8:30am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Replacements being considered are Tyler Medaglia and Cole Thompson. Both great options. Tyler finished 4th in the 450 standings up here and recently finished 6th overall...
Replacements being considered are Tyler Medaglia and Cole Thompson. Both great options.

Tyler finished 4th in the 450 standings up here and recently finished 6th overall at the Ironman National which was enough to give him number 84 for 2019. Cole finished 2nd in the 450 standings and has had good results down South in the past.

Tough choice to make.
I think Tyler gets the call to ride MXdN.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/17/2018 8:43am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Replacements being considered are Tyler Medaglia and Cole Thompson. Both great options. Tyler finished 4th in the 450 standings up here and recently finished 6th overall...

Tough choice to make.
jbrown15 wrote:
I think Tyler gets the call to ride MXdN.
He did. We still have a strong team lining up with Tyler replacing Kaven. That said it's a shame Kaven got hurt because I personally think he's faster than Tyler.

Still hoping for a top 10 result.

crockett
9/17/2018 9:00am
how does this weekend effect the overall canadian points standings. Im pretty sure its coming down between colton and faccioti. hoping for Colt to win the 100k so this weekend looks like it didn't help that, although an impressive ride from both guys.
9/17/2018 9:23am
During the rider meeting they say no championship point for the international guy for this race because they been invited and they dont want them to change the outcome of the championship.

Post a reply to: Montreal Supercross Returns

The Latest