Fantasy
1182nd
2/25/2020 11:18pm
KMC440 wrote:
Do any of you people sleep !?!
Only 11:18 on the best coast, so all is normal out here. Wink
Cancerman
2/25/2020 11:32pm
Well, I just burned through all seven pages. I think the thread was a necessary opportunity for some much needed discussion. Maybe we can all glean a little in all directions. And who thinks Steve is a softie? I tend to think he's a bit in the other direction. Sleep tight children.....2:31 AM EST.............
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
2/26/2020 12:07am
How about a thumbs down emoticon for when you want to "downvote" something and don't care if everyone knows it was you ? Like the anonymous down vote feature, but for men. LaughingLaughing

The Shop

KMC440
2/26/2020 2:53am
KMC440 wrote:
Do any of you people sleep !?!
avidchimp wrote:
Only 11:18 on the best coast, so all is normal out here. Wink
Hsd just got up for work .. jokes on me Pinch
2/26/2020 2:55am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2020 3:03am
Can we have something like a displayed lifebar. Like licence points. Then you know who's on thin ice... Then we can bait them. Sounds sporting
Dougy1
2/26/2020 2:55am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2020 2:56am
Ok.
Here we go
Guy.
I actually think your a kook who runs a kook moto website for all us other kooks to get to have our say.!
So cheers to you and all the other kooks out there Including me 🍻.

Sully
2/26/2020 5:19am
Dougy1 wrote:
Ok. Here we go Guy. I actually think your a kook who runs a kook moto website for all us other kooks to get to have...
Ok.
Here we go
Guy.
I actually think your a kook who runs a kook moto website for all us other kooks to get to have our say.!
So cheers to you and all the other kooks out there Including me 🍻.

*You’re...
HuskyEd
2/26/2020 6:45am
alphado wrote:
[img]https://yamaboy.com/gallery/albums/userpics/presspartyfest3.jpg[/img]
Yamaboy was genius
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
2/26/2020 6:56am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2020 9:16am
I am fine with the moderation and places have rules anywhere you go but who cares what I think? That is the strangest thing to me that in the last ten years or more where everyone is so crazy about another random person's opinion. In the 90s to early 2000s no one cared so much about others opinions. No one needed others "approval". Bigotry, racism, bullies were basically not even a thing anymore because everyone realized it's just words and people were tough. Everyone(except a few ignorant folks) would not let words or hate affect them anymore. Of coarse there is always exceptions. Social media made people less Social in a face to face manner so all the reinforcement of individual strength was replaced by fear of judgement and craving acceptance and it is exploited with like counts and followers. So people get crazy when their opinion is not openly accepted. Honestly social media is a sad reality show I can't stop watching. My thoughts have always been to just be cool to all no matter their opinion and dont let opposite opinions affect you. Seems simple to me.
A perfect example is like how Instagram stopped showing like counts. It was because it raised the suicide numbers. For example 2 girls, best friends both post thier selfies on instagram. One girl get 500k followers and her friend gets 27. Now she has a complex that something is wrong with her and everything becomes a competition and the friendship ends etc. It created tons of new depressed people. Then you have 60 year olds arguing with 12 year olds and people who have 10000 close up selfies of only their face in every pic. Crazy comes in many flavors.
My life has always been revolved around moto first and I listen to every moto podcast and read as many articles as I can a day. It has consumed me for 40 some years and I believe it is a great community and a giant family. We have this great sport in common and most others can not even comprehend how amazing moto really is and I am grateful for that.
Honestly everytime I write something like this I erase it pretty soon after. Jacuzzi rant over!!

suzook241
2/26/2020 7:07am
My one complaint, better search method. Make it so you can search a particular forum, sort by date posted, or date started etc.

If it can do it now I am apologizing ahead of time
TeamGreen
2/26/2020 7:10am
Wait? People in here have opinions? Who knew?
XMuttX
2/26/2020 7:23am
alphado wrote:
[img]https://yamaboy.com/gallery/albums/userpics/presspartyfest3.jpg[/img]
Yes!!!!
kkawboy14
2/26/2020 7:55am
TeamGreen wrote:
I love when everyone says “your opinion is wrong” 😂

An opinion by definition doesn’t have to be based on facts.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
2/26/2020 9:47am
TeamGreen wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:

It depends on what the opinion is regarding. If it is regarding whether yellow bikes or blue bikes look nicer, then no, facts don't enter into it. If it's a medical opinion on what is causing your symptoms and what treatment is better, then I'd certainly hope that facts are considered. Clearly, on many subjects, some opinions can be better than others. In some cases, some opinions are egregiously misguided that we're all better off not seeing them (do you really think a KKK member's opinion on racial equality is not misguided, and that it deserves to be heard in, say, the Vital MX forum?). Your opinion about opinions is very much mistaken. We need moderators precisely because some opinions are stupid, offensive, not suitable for the context, etc. and are best weeded out.
kkawboy14
2/26/2020 10:33am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2020 10:33am
TeamGreen wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:

MPJC wrote:
It depends on what the opinion is regarding. If it is regarding whether yellow bikes or blue bikes look nicer, then no, facts don't enter into...
It depends on what the opinion is regarding. If it is regarding whether yellow bikes or blue bikes look nicer, then no, facts don't enter into it. If it's a medical opinion on what is causing your symptoms and what treatment is better, then I'd certainly hope that facts are considered. Clearly, on many subjects, some opinions can be better than others. In some cases, some opinions are egregiously misguided that we're all better off not seeing them (do you really think a KKK member's opinion on racial equality is not misguided, and that it deserves to be heard in, say, the Vital MX forum?). Your opinion about opinions is very much mistaken. We need moderators precisely because some opinions are stupid, offensive, not suitable for the context, etc. and are best weeded out.
.....all I did is state the definition! That wasn’t my opinion! I think Good chiropractors are worth the money 😂
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
2/26/2020 11:05am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2020 11:11am
kkawboy14 wrote:

MPJC wrote:
It depends on what the opinion is regarding. If it is regarding whether yellow bikes or blue bikes look nicer, then no, facts don't enter into...
kkawboy14 wrote:
.....all I did is state the definition! That wasn’t my opinion! I think Good chiropractors are worth the money 😂
You implied that opinions can’t be wrong, and stated that it is true by definition that opinions don’t have to be based on facts. The former is false and the the latter is sometimes true but often not. There was no definition stated (stating a few of a things characteristics does not constitute a definition, nor does merely using the word “definition”).

This isn’t aimed at anyone in particular, just some general thoughts: If people better understood the concept or opinion, we’d all be much better off. There seems to be this idea floating around that opinions are a sort of brute preference, and as such they are immune to rational criticism. This is nonsense and should be recognized as such. It also makes people sensitive to having their opinions critiqued. If my opinion is not just a judgment I make but is the expression of some mysterious inner state with which I find myself, by criticizing my opinion you’re criticizing a part of my self. This is lunacy and should be expunged from out thoughts.
davistld01
2/26/2020 11:20am
The sense of entitlement is strong in this thread...
kkawboy14
2/26/2020 11:34am
MPJC wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
MPJC wrote:
You implied that opinions can’t be wrong, and stated that it is true by definition that opinions don’t have to be based on facts. The former...
You implied that opinions can’t be wrong, and stated that it is true by definition that opinions don’t have to be based on facts. The former is false and the the latter is sometimes true but often not. There was no definition stated (stating a few of a things characteristics does not constitute a definition, nor does merely using the word “definition”).

This isn’t aimed at anyone in particular, just some general thoughts: If people better understood the concept or opinion, we’d all be much better off. There seems to be this idea floating around that opinions are a sort of brute preference, and as such they are immune to rational criticism. This is nonsense and should be recognized as such. It also makes people sensitive to having their opinions critiqued. If my opinion is not just a judgment I make but is the expression of some mysterious inner state with which I find myself, by criticizing my opinion you’re criticizing a part of my self. This is lunacy and should be expunged from out thoughts.
I’ll just give you the definition without any commentary!

wsmille2
2/26/2020 11:39am
My original account was "temporarily locked" however has never been unlocked. I had to send an email to understand why it was locked (since I had no clue, no warning) but understand why now. My question: How much longer am I in time out?
SEEMEFIRST
2/26/2020 11:43am
wsmille2 wrote:
My original account was "temporarily locked" however has never been unlocked. I had to send an email to understand why it was locked (since I had...
My original account was "temporarily locked" however has never been unlocked. I had to send an email to understand why it was locked (since I had no clue, no warning) but understand why now. My question: How much longer am I in time out?
Looks like you are posting now.
TxGuy
2/26/2020 11:48am
last I'll say on it - I know that the mods do their thing based on a quick assessment of the situation/comment. I know I speak for many if instead of just clipping posts/users...they'd take the 10 secs to say WHY they are doing so. It would at least give users a sense of understanding to what is going on.

this won't happen, but there ya have it.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
2/26/2020 11:58am
kkawboy14 wrote:
MPJC wrote:
You implied that opinions can’t be wrong, and stated that it is true by definition that opinions don’t have to be based on facts. The former...

kkawboy14 wrote:
I’ll just give you the definition without any commentary! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/02/26/406894/s1200_31E8B69C_9CF2_4008_B558_B8D4B21DECC8.jpg[/img]
I’ll just give you the definition without any commentary!

"Necessarily" is a pretty important word there, and is why I said that some opinions require no reference to facts or knowledge ("purported knowledge" would fit better).

A certain amount of what confuses people about this whole topic is that opinions are often based on value judgments, and the fact/value distinction is not always well understood. You can rationally justify value judgments, and show some value judgments to be flawed. Or, more modestly, a forum can simply state community standards and forbid certain opinions based on those standards (then "wrong" is measured by said standards - this is, of course, easier and much more clear than arguing from abstract principles). The community standard then functions as a fact by which we judge the appropriateness of an opinion for the context (i.e. we can say that it is a fact that we have community standard "X" and forbid posts that contravene X without delving into the thornier issue of whether or not X is itself justified - if you don't like it, go elsewhere).

As a general point about argumentation, if what you are arguing about is how a word or concept should be best understood, you don't accomplish anything by pulling out a dictionary definition. I'm making a point about how "opinion" ought to be understood, while the dictionary simply reports how a word is typically used.
motogrady
2/26/2020 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2020 12:10pm
Went to a motocross forum today, and an English seminar broke out.

Post a reply to: Forum Moderation Complaint Department

The Latest