Mobius Knee braces?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2015 4:27 PM

Anyone on here have any insight with how these braces are? Now that we have to have ACL repair.. guess its time I should invest in a set. A friend said he just got a set and they were nice but hasn't used them long enough to give a real review yet.

http://www.mobiusbraces.com/

Photo

|

10/26/2015 4:35 PM

I got two rides on them. What I'm finding with this cable system that's it possible to have the braces to tight. You really get a lot of support with that system.

The full front protection is awesome.

Brace is very low profile.

Ill get back to you with more time in them and not on my phone

|

10/26/2015 4:37 PM

Markee wrote:

I got two rides on them. What I'm finding with this cable system that's it possible to have the braces to tight. You really ...more

Yeah thanks, I have about 6 months to find him a decent pair so.. no hurry!! lol

|

10/26/2015 5:08 PM

I started wearing them 6 months ago and are the first knee braces I've worn. They felt bulky at first but after getting used to them they feel great. They limit normal mobility just a tiny bit when bending my knees. My only big complaint is the lack of ventilation. I have to take them off between motos on a hot day which means boots and pants are also coming off. Ive tried wearing knee high socks to help my legs breath a little more but they pinch the back of my legs so thigh highs are the way to go.

|

10/26/2015 5:26 PM

I bought a set early summer. Used them about 15-20 times now. I'm coming from a custom cti and an original asterisk. I really wanted to get a set of the original asterisks so I watched ebay for awhile and could never find what I was looking for. I hate the ultra cells so that was out of the question.

Anyway, they have held up good. They were a little weird at first but when switching to a new brace that's to be expected. They do run small, I had to send the first pair back for the next size up. The asterisk was good but I hated the cti because it always slipped down and I constantly had to take it off and put it back on. I have minor issues with the left one only sliding down a little during the day but not nearly as bad as the cti. The dial for the cable is starting to get hard to turn and release tension. Not sure if it just needs some wd40 or something. All in all I'd say it's a good product, holding up good so far.

My one complaint is because of the knee cap that my pants kept getting caught it in mid ride and my leg was stuck in the position where it was caught. It was really annoying for awhile because I was always trying to pull my pant out of it mid race. Then it hit me! I put knee brace sleeves over top of them and no more problems with snagging.

|

10/26/2015 6:14 PM

I'm using them for 6 months now; had only one accident, got too close to an inside berm while turning right, berm caught my foot and got off footpeg and rotate/spread the leg; luckily I was not that fast (2nd) and standing up so my leg rotate and went completely backward and did not crash, BUT now (1 month after accident) I still have pain in my right knee (tomorrow I go to orthopedic).
I had asterisk for 5 years and never experienced pain in my knee after any accident.
I know all accidents are different, but I think mobius are not as good as asterisk in preventing knee rotation.
As far as confort they are great.

(I hope you understood my poor english )

|

10/26/2015 7:24 PM

They are excellent except for the pinching of the inner liner of the Moto pants on full extension. Other than that.....very comfortable (I have the newest pod model, the Pod K700, and the asterisk for comparison). Sand can get into the spinning tightening thingy and cause binding which can be eliminated by cleaning

|

10/26/2015 10:16 PM

Have had a set for 3 months. Tried a couple different options, before settling on these. I think they are awesome braces and the hold everything together.

|

10/27/2015 1:07 AM

How good are the Mobius brace on rotation? What brace offers the best protection? After 2 ACL surgerys i really dont want a third.

|

10/27/2015 2:31 AM

I have the Asterisk at the moment but i feel like they are too bulky so i'v been looking at the Mobius brace. A friend of mine have a pair but they are a bit too small for me so i haven't tried them.

The only thing i'm skeptical of is the lack of ventilation? Doesn't it get really hot when there is no ventilation at all?

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- Yamaha YZ450F 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

10/27/2015 6:55 AM

njracer46 wrote:

I bought a set early summer. Used them about 15-20 times now. I'm coming from a custom cti and an original asterisk. I really ...more

Great info thanks!

His torn ACL came from foot peg deep ruts at Freestone at the Regional. Caught his toe, ripped his leg off but he did not crash.

Funny thing, his surgeon is saying most if not all knee braces will never prevent all injuries,(Duh) saying most people can do without them but mentally, they feel better wearing them.

I like to think I will take my chances with getting him a set now. He has never worn any, does not like the bulky feel of ones he tried.

|

10/27/2015 9:43 AM

You know what I'd love to see? More of our members writing up reviews on products like these over in the Product section.

|

10/27/2015 12:57 PM

I have a pair and really like them. I did have a problem at first with my pants getting caught in the knee cap preventing me from extending my leg but I have recently switched to Answer gear and haven't had a problem.

|

10/27/2015 1:05 PM

GuyB wrote:

You know what I'd love to see? More of our members writing up reviews on products like these over in the Product section.

Funny you should mention that. I've been researching knee braces, looking for something slimmer fitting and with more range of motion than my asterisks. Nearly every google search I've tried brings back vital forum posts rather than product reviews.

Has anyone (especially with big calves) tried asterisk cell (2010 vintage) and also tried Leatt or Mobius?

|

10/27/2015 2:07 PM

JoJmoto wrote:

Great info thanks!

His torn ACL came from foot peg deep ruts at Freestone at the Regional. Caught his toe, ripped his leg ...more

I had acl surgery and multiple knee scopes in 2010. Your surgeon is right, nothing will protect you completely. My doctor is actually strongly against knee braces but he wrote me a script for the cti anyway. They can do more harm then good if they don't fit properly or slide down your leg into a bad position. My advice is to find a dealer that stocks a bunch of them and try as many on as you can to see what gives the best fit. You could even order a set and bring them with you to the doctor to see how the fit looks to him. I brought my asterisk with me when I went to get measured for my cti and he adjusted it properly.

If you do go the mobius route. If he uses hook it put in for a sponsorship through them. I never upload anything or use it but all my races get automatically uploaded so my score goes up without me even doing anything. They sent me a sponsorship and it was 200$ less then I got them for. Wish they would have sent me that when I was in the market to buy them pinch

|

10/27/2015 3:54 PM

I love mine. I've had a few EVS braces and möbius is way better then what I was expecting for a over the counter brace. It's saved me once so far. Started sliding out in a big sweeper and my knee got caught in the bar and tweaked it good, all the weight went straight to my knee and it bounced me back up right and kept going. I was sore for a few laps but without a doubt it saved me destroying my knee.

|

10/27/2015 6:18 PM

njracer46 wrote:

I had acl surgery and multiple knee scopes in 2010. Your surgeon is right, nothing will protect you completely. My doctor is ...more

Yeah he has a hook it.

See there is another problem for Lane. Finding the right fit. When he was born, he was double bi lateral club foot. If it wasn't for the Shriner's Hospital, he would have been in a wheel chair all his life, his feet were sooo bad.

Well, due to his feet/legs not being right, his legs, his calves, are slim. His thigh area is normal and large but that thin calf causes me concern with fitment from any brace out there.

|

10/27/2015 6:19 PM

Let's not get to happy on these things. They absolutely bind with the inner liner of motocross pants and create a situation where full extension is affected. It's a pain in the ass and doesn't happen with other brands of knee braces. The spin wheel that tightens the #2 strap (main strap) can get bound up with dirt or sand. This is fixed by a constant cleaning and lubrication of the spinwheel. The braces are not noticably hot and fit really well once you over me the first issue. Very comfortable but the issue of the binding with the inner liner on motocross pants is dangerous.

Very low side ( against the bike profile). Extremely lightweight

|

10/27/2015 6:36 PM

Moto520 wrote:

Let's not get to happy on these things. They absolutely bind with the inner liner of motocross pants and create a situation ...more

I've just been holding the release and spinning the wheel till tight. I just used the asterisk sleeves at first but those got torn up. They are 30$ a pair so I wasn't going to drop that just to have them rip up again. I ordered a bunch of these because they were very cheap. I haven't had any issues with my pants getting stuck in them since. I just pull them over the brace.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331640812878?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=540783005915&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

|

10/28/2015 12:23 PM

Moto520 wrote:

Let's not get to happy on these things. They absolutely bind with the inner liner of motocross pants and create a situation ...more

njracer46 wrote:

I've just been holding the release and spinning the wheel till tight. I just used the asterisk sleeves at first but those got ...more

Does this in turn keep dirt and what not out of the adjustment dial so you do not have to clean it as often?

|

12/10/2015 9:08 AM

does anyone knows if the profile of the mobius it's lower than the pod's profile?

|

12/10/2015 9:40 AM

anzzz73 wrote:

does anyone knows if the profile of the mobius it's lower than the pod's profile?

I haven't ridden in either, but I have tried both of them on (Mobius and K300). To me, they seem very similar in profile. I know the Mobius braces are roughly 4.25" between the inside of the hinges, plus whatever thickness the hinge is. On the Pod, I am not sure. They both have a very minimal profile for a dual hinge brace, in my opinion.

|

12/10/2015 10:16 AM

njracer46 wrote:

I had acl surgery and multiple knee scopes in 2010. Your surgeon is right, nothing will protect you completely. My doctor is ...more

Sorry but i strongly disagree that knee braces are bogus.. Most surgeons have never ridden a dirt bike... Especially with a blown ACL and have no real world experience in the matter. Only thing they have to go on is what they've learned in books and by fixing the hamburger knees we bring them. One thing i know for a fact is a good fitting high quality knee brace DEFINITELY supports your knee. I rode with no ACL for eight years and if i didnt have my brace on i could barely hold myself up on my bad knee..let alone dab it in a corner. If i did dab it in a corner or put it down for balance in a rock section it would pop out of joint instantly...When i had the brace on it was solid and i could do anything without it popping out. Facts are facts and plenty of people have had the same experience. Surgeons make there money on that operating table..just saying.

|

12/10/2015 11:47 AM

I have had mine for about 6 months and Asterisk before. I can confirm the dial gets jammed and needs to constantly be cleaned. The other problem I have is that every time I put my pants on the straps get partially pulled off. But it hasn't been a major issue and I haven't had my pant liners get stuck in the braces.

I would say they are more comfortable than the Asterisks and have had a couple of minor get offs. One of them bruised the inside of my knee, but no other damage. I did have partial MCL tears with the Asterisks, but never any major injury.

Oh wait, I used to wear them skiing and broke my femur, but that was likely the big rock I planted my leg on!

|

9/29/2017 9:58 AM

This is a report after a year of using the braces.

As mentioned above, one very huge issue with the braces is the design of the patella cup being on the inside. It is unique for sure, but needs more R&D.

Regardless of the pants I've worn, they will cram themselves into the joint opening when you go from bent knee to standing, which leaves you without the ability to straighten your leg. This is a pretty major issue especially during a race. It seems like I constantly have to pull my pants out of the brace during a moto which is terrible for so many reasons.

Also, now after a year the continuous cable has frayed on both braces. At first I did not notice them being overly hot, until I wore a set of POD's and then went back to the Mobius. And I can tell you they are horrible at ventilation.

I contacted Mobius about my issue of the pants getting stuck, and they were very good to me and had me send them back so they could put a longer revised patella cup in. That fixed the issue only temporarily though, as the elastic that controls the placement of the cup stretched out, and now I'm left with the same issue.

ALL in all, I will give them credit for a truly unique brace and their excellent customer service, but they do need to make revisions to the knee cup, just add some holes in it for ventilation, further R&D on the cable system, and then it is a 5-star product.

|

9/29/2017 10:32 AM

I like mine, nearly as comfortable as the evs knee cups. I just sent them in for the new cables, no charge and 1 day turn around.

|

9/29/2017 11:32 AM

The cables are an extremely easy DIY to replace as well. Takes about 10 minutes a side.

|

9/29/2017 11:33 AM

I've owned a set for approximately 2years now after being a long time Asterisk user. BOTH offer a great product. I like the Mobius strap/BOA system. I had one issue with the strap system and Mobius warranty took care of the problem and my braces were ready to go in a few days. SO I've got nothing but positive experience with Mobius

|

two wheels lifestyle
Kyle Pulley
selling powersports @TeamCharlotteMotorsports
3004 Freedom Dr. Charlotte NC 28208
Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, & Preowned Harley Davidson

9/29/2017 11:37 AM

aroark247 wrote:

This is a report after a year of using the braces.

As mentioned above, one very huge issue with the braces is the design of ...more

Its weird because I have 50 hours on mine and I've never had my pants snag the pateella cup.

The cables did fray but they sent me new cables free of charge to fix them.

They are extremely hot. I agree with that 100%.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Yeti SB130LR.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

9/29/2017 11:40 AM

I have had mine for about a year and a half now and love them. The complete protection in the front is not matched by any other brace in my research so that is a huge plus in my opinion. They have one major downfall though and that is breath-ability. When its hot out it is very noticeable that your legs are getting little to no air. With that being said the cable system is well worth the heat. I've had once instance that tested the limits quit well. My front end washed and got my leg pinned under the bars and it jammed me up bad enough that I broke a couple of toes but came out with not even a sore knee!

I had a set of custom CTI's after tearing my ACL at age 16 and they seemed like good braces until I got this set. After wearing the Mobius the CTI's just feel extremely unprotected.

|