Moab Utah Fins-n-Things

2/22/2018 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2018 8:26pm
Took my son on his first Moab ride this last weekend. He's on a kx100 and did way better than I expected. We chose Fins-n-Things as a nice easy intro to slickrock (if there is such a thing). There were a couple of steep downhills that he needed some help, but overall, I'm one proud poppa!

https://youtu.be/jqpD0Jr8bfM
|
moto0852
2/22/2018 8:04pm
So this is weird. I'm just up the road from you in Draper. My son is just getting going as well and somehow I missed my invitation to this "event". Just a mix up I'm sure! Looks like you had fun. That's what it's all about.
2/28/2018 6:42am
Great to hear from a fellow Utah rider. I'll try and post an invite for our next father-n-son ride. Could be Cherry Chreek in a week or two ... whenever the weather breaks. Hopefully very soon.
brapgod69
2/28/2018 6:56am
I just saw a “Distination Polaris” video of our there. Looks like some fun stuff. Is there a place out there to rent UTV/bikes?
FWYT
2/28/2018 7:44am
Man, I have to go ride out there one of these days!!

The Shop

peelout
2/28/2018 8:07am
Fin's n Things is a great trail, very fast and flowy. word to the wise... never stop anywhere on the trail and if you're going to stop, do it in a highly visible area. had some friends get plowed by a UTV out there, guys think they're Baja racers

great video. my little dude is 7 so still too young for something like this but he followed me around out at Behind the Rocks and did really well for being on a 50. good times.
3/3/2018 1:25pm
Great advice about stopping in visible areas. Fortunately it wasn't too busy the day we were there.

Behind the rocks with your sone on a 50 sounds awesome! When my boys were on 50s one of our favorite trips was camping and riding at White Wash. Memories that I'll not forget Wink
3/8/2018 10:31pm
moto0852 wrote:
So this is weird. I'm just up the road from you in Draper. My son is just getting going as well and somehow I missed my...
So this is weird. I'm just up the road from you in Draper. My son is just getting going as well and somehow I missed my invitation to this "event". Just a mix up I'm sure! Looks like you had fun. That's what it's all about.
Moto0852, weather is looking great and my son and I are headed to cherry creek on Saturday starting around noon. We'll likely stage in the Firebirds pits and ride the foothills. There's a couple of really fun washes, a few hills, some tree sections, and miles of good times. All are welcome to join us. Let me know if you're interested.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
3/9/2018 12:50am
Have never been there but have always wanted to. That trail looks like a blast thanks for posting
3/14/2018 5:47pm
sumdood wrote:
Have never been there but have always wanted to. That trail looks like a blast thanks for posting
If you can swing it, Moab is definately worth the trip. Fins-n-Things is a good warm up. I'd also hit the slick rock trail, hell's revenge, pritchert, golden spike, and kane creek. So much to ride and so little time Wink
mx_563
3/14/2018 7:40pm
I'm headed to Green River next month for some riding. Gonna be my first time moto-ing in Utah. Can't wait.
rallendude
3/14/2018 7:54pm
I got to go out a couple times last year. I may end up back there in a few weeks if I can avoid Easter Jeep weekend. I'd love to go for that but don't have room reservations and bet it's full up. We rode Poison Spider, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim. My riding buddy was a quad guy on a bike and was pretty much a beginner. We got to the end of Gold Bar Rim and found the sign that says, "experts only beyond this point." It was a great day riding.
3/14/2018 9:48pm
Awesome video, your son did a great job! These kinds of family offroad experiences will bring a lifetime of memories.

I got to go to Moab for the first time a little over year ago. Rode all the typical trails like Slick Rock as well Fins and Things. Favorites were Kane Creek, Sovereign single track and all the washes. Porcupine Ridge had some fantastic views. Would go back more often if it wasnt so far away, Baja is closer for me. Everyone should ride Moab at least once in their lifetime.

Was really refreshing to see Mtn Bikers and everyone else happily sharing trails.
racerx24
3/15/2018 10:14am
I am headed to Moab next month for the 18th time, Fins is the first trial I ever wheeled out there,since I have pretty much been everywhere. Moab is my favorite place!!
peelout
3/15/2018 10:43am
mx_563 wrote:
I'm headed to Green River next month for some riding. Gonna be my first time moto-ing in Utah. Can't wait.
Green River has some amazing stuff also. look up 5 Miles of Hell. it's a must (given your group has the skill level). the Color Trails are a good warm up.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
3/15/2018 11:43am
I'm going out there for an MTB trip in September. Gonna do the Whole Enchilada with some buddies. I can't wait!
mx_563
3/20/2018 10:26am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2018 10:27am
mx_563 wrote:
peelout wrote:
Green River has some amazing stuff also. look up [url=http://www.dirtbikeutah.net/five-miles-of-hell.html]5 Miles of Hell[/url]. it's a must (given your group has the skill level). the Color Trails...
Green River has some amazing stuff also. look up 5 Miles of Hell. it's a must (given your group has the skill level). the Color Trails are a good warm up.
Some of the trail names being tossed around are Wash Loop, Rick Lee Trail (day 1)
Ava Conover, devil's racetrack, eagle wash or some combination thereof or 5MoH, and color trails (day 2)
Chimney Rock area (day3)

Any of that sound familiar Peely?
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1694th
3/20/2018 10:43am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2018 10:43am
brapgod69 wrote:
I just saw a “Distination Polaris” video of our there. Looks like some fun stuff. Is there a place out there to rent UTV/bikes?
There is. I've rented bikes out there before (KTM's) and headed out next week with a Jeep rental for a day and to finally go into Arches since i've been going on 4 times and never been there Laughing

There are also a couple guide services depending on the riding you want to do. I've used Elite twice now, once doing point to point and the other just hitting random trails depending on the riding i wanted to do that day.

One of my favorite places i've been to in the US.
peelout
3/20/2018 10:50am
mx_563 wrote:
peelout wrote:
Green River has some amazing stuff also. look up [url=http://www.dirtbikeutah.net/five-miles-of-hell.html]5 Miles of Hell[/url]. it's a must (given your group has the skill level). the Color Trails...
mx_563 wrote:
Some of the trail names being tossed around are Wash Loop, Rick Lee Trail (day 1) Ava Conover, devil's racetrack, eagle wash or some combination thereof...
Some of the trail names being tossed around are Wash Loop, Rick Lee Trail (day 1)
Ava Conover, devil's racetrack, eagle wash or some combination thereof or 5MoH, and color trails (day 2)
Chimney Rock area (day3)

i'm not huge on trail names, more like i'm familiar with certain areas. i'm trying to get better at trail navigating and knowing which trails are which, but not quite there yet.

to answer your question, the Chimney Rock area is fucking unreal and probably some of my favorite riding in Utah, it's really close to the Green River area. the color trails are cool and vary in technical difficulty. the 5 miles of hell is insane. the others you listed i'm not terribly familiar.

when are you going? our weather has been crazy. 60's the last couple weeks then got a couple feet of snow. 60's this week and supposed to get another big snow-storm this weekend.
peelout
3/20/2018 10:53am
brapgod69 wrote:
your best bet is to rent from out of town and trailer them. the rental prices are damn expensive depending on when you go and what you get. for instance, an 8 hour RZR rental is going to run about $400. if you go, do bikes. you'll have a much better experience.
Maddeh
Fantasy
535th
3/20/2018 11:54am
mx_563 wrote:
Some of the trail names being tossed around are Wash Loop, Rick Lee Trail (day 1) Ava Conover, devil's racetrack, eagle wash or some combination thereof...
Chimney Rock area (day3)

I thought Rick Lee was closed but I could be wrong. Devil's racetrack is fun, double track but good washes and technical slickrock sections. Highly recommend color trails, 5MoH if you're group is up for it, and sovereign. Sovereign is a small system but super cool. Also the Enduro Loop in the White Wash area is a great ride. Link it all together with the tubes, 10 mile, etc. Good day with a mix of everything.

Don't go to Chimney Rock that place sucks.
mx_563
3/20/2018 12:35pm
peelout wrote:
i'm not huge on trail names, more like i'm familiar with certain areas. i'm trying to get better at trail navigating and knowing which trails are...
i'm not huge on trail names, more like i'm familiar with certain areas. i'm trying to get better at trail navigating and knowing which trails are which, but not quite there yet.

to answer your question, the Chimney Rock area is fucking unreal and probably some of my favorite riding in Utah, it's really close to the Green River area. the color trails are cool and vary in technical difficulty. the 5 miles of hell is insane. the others you listed i'm not terribly familiar.

when are you going? our weather has been crazy. 60's the last couple weeks then got a couple feet of snow. 60's this week and supposed to get another big snow-storm this weekend.
Weekend of April 7th and 8th. Not sure how to pack weather-wise.
Flying in to SLC and driving out to Green River in a rental.
Friends are hauling my bike & gear out there for me.
peelout
3/20/2018 12:43pm
peelout wrote:
i'm not huge on trail names, more like i'm familiar with certain areas. i'm trying to get better at trail navigating and knowing which trails are...

mx_563 wrote:
Weekend of April 7th and 8th. Not sure how to pack weather-wise. Flying in to SLC and driving out to Green River in a rental. Friends...
Weekend of April 7th and 8th. Not sure how to pack weather-wise.
Flying in to SLC and driving out to Green River in a rental.
Friends are hauling my bike & gear out there for me.
bring wet/cold weather gear along with your usual gear, you really never know what it's going to do this time of the year. our winter has been really weird, non-existent for the most part and it's making up for it now.
3/22/2018 7:31pm
Great trail suggestions. 5moH is for those keen on taking all day to cover about 7 miles. Think blood sweat tears broken bike twisted body parts ... followed by smiles when you survive. Fun right!
mx_563
4/15/2018 10:39pm
Thought I'd post an update...it's a bit of a thread hijack but then again...in a way...it's all things Utah...

Day 1: just outside of Green River. We rode Whitewash, the Tubes, Dead Cow Trail (it actually had a dead cow), and the Rick Lee Trail. 95 miles total. That night we got some thunder showers but found shelter under a tarp.

Day 2. Chimney Rock. 'nuff said. Awesome trails. Over 50 miles that day.

Day 3. Five miles of hell.

My Kawi wasn't the best choice but with MX tracks closing, and all my friends fully converted to off road, I threw on an 18" rear wheel, a few more teeth on the rear sprocket, various guards and off I went. The Launch Control™ actually works well in slow speed technical stuff.

mx_563
4/15/2018 10:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/15/2018 10:53pm
Edit: Oops, duplicate post

ob
4/16/2018 8:29am
I really want to take a road trip out there, but to ride my mtbike. Haven't been in about 20 years. Looks like fun on a moto also. Thanks for the posts and pics?
mx_563
4/16/2018 8:26pm
ob wrote:
I really want to take a road trip out there, but to ride my mtbike. Haven't been in about 20 years. Looks like fun on a...
I really want to take a road trip out there, but to ride my mtbike. Haven't been in about 20 years. Looks like fun on a moto also. Thanks for the posts and pics?
I've done some mountain biking near Virgin, not far from where they do the Red Bull Rampage. Really enjoyed it. I think Ken Roczen vacations out there from time to time.
This was my first time riding a motorcycle in Utah. Definitely worth the long haul (although I cheated and flew to SLC with two friends, had some other friends haul our bikes out there - ha ha)

Post a reply to: Moab Utah Fins-n-Things

The Latest