Mitch Payton Interview

11/8/2017 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2017 12:27pm
BobPA wrote:
No idea. 500's are a pure novelty to me. The only people I know that ride them like to race in fields with no helmets and...
No idea. 500's are a pure novelty to me. The only people I know that ride them like to race in fields with no helmets and Budweiser.

No one is ever going to buy this air cooled, mythical creature that keep talking about. Usually I support your two stroke posts, but this is just too far fetched. There is a reason the kdx 200 is no longer made. The entry market level is covered by the current crop of Japanese air cooled four strokes. That require oil every once in a while, and maybe an air filter. A two stroke version will just require more maintenance for the average consumer.

If people want a race bike to start their riding career, they will go on Craigslist and get a true used race bike. Not spend $5k on a glorified XR or RT
Well, it depends. I mean for a huge percentage of riders, a KDX (or something like it) is simply a better bike, race or not, than a 450F or an XR. It's not even about technology or price. Just the KDX (or similar) is more pleasurable to ride, better to own, and situationally much faster than either.

But the fact that it last retailed for $4k and is Kaw's biggest selling dirtbike model ever (although I gotta figure the universally loved KLX110 will catch it sometime soon) seems just another thing to throw on the pile.
Tracktor
11/8/2017 12:15pm
Mx391 wrote:
Cobra just recently started making 65's after years of only making 50's. Maybe in a few years they will be making a 125 for kids to...
Cobra just recently started making 65's after years of only making 50's. Maybe in a few years they will be making a 125 for kids to jump up to? A bonus to that is I believe they are American made in Michigan?
By recently you mean 2007? That was the first year for the CX65(or maybe 2009?). They dabbled in with an 85 I believe but couldn't make it pencil...........
FWYT
11/8/2017 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2017 12:36pm
From the interview:
"I think there is a certain amount of people that love riding motorcycles and they just want to do it for fun. "

HAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHHAHAHHAHHAHAHA

I just about pissed myself laughing at that statement. Like, you're not really sure, or what? Seriously?
And it's just a "certain" amount; as in a low percentage? HAHAHHAHAHAHA

Edit: I don't mean to bag on Mitch; I think he's great. But there are soooooooo many people out there that ride just to ride. Hell, last weekend I saw guy line up in the beginner class in jeans and long sleeve shirt on a plated XR-200. In my mind he was the Grand Ruler of the day. Gave no shits, just there to have a good time.
11/8/2017 12:26pm
FWYT wrote:
From the interview: "I think there is a certain amount of people that love riding motorcycles and they just want to do it for fun. "...
From the interview:
"I think there is a certain amount of people that love riding motorcycles and they just want to do it for fun. "

HAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHHAHAHHAHHAHAHA

I just about pissed myself laughing at that statement. Like, you're not really sure, or what? Seriously?
And it's just a "certain" amount; as in a low percentage? HAHAHHAHAHAHA

Edit: I don't mean to bag on Mitch; I think he's great. But there are soooooooo many people out there that ride just to ride. Hell, last weekend I saw guy line up in the beginner class in jeans and long sleeve shirt on a plated XR-200. In my mind he was the Grand Ruler of the day. Gave no shits, just there to have a good time.
His entire customer base, as a small example...

The Shop

tempura
11/8/2017 6:20pm
You guys underestimate the stubbornness and rigidness of corporate Japan. This sport could practically die before those kinds of changes would happen.
Really, they couldn't give less of a shit, what you want. As long as a majority of their bikes get sold each year, and the industry wheel keeps turning to their tune, that's all that really matters.
Yamaha and their 2 stroke (125,250) is a good example. They will keep producing the same bike year after year for eternity, if people keep buying them. They have been uninterested in improving the bike, it's not on their list of "things to do".
What I'm saying is, until the industry is severely damaged at its roots, change is unlikely.
11/8/2017 11:11pm
Donovan759 wrote:
I guess (more specifically) what I'm saying about the steel bars is... why would (in your case) Kawi release a brand new 2 stroke race bike...
I guess (more specifically) what I'm saying about the steel bars is... why would (in your case) Kawi release a brand new 2 stroke race bike with inferior parts when compared to their 4 stroke race bikes.

In 2005 that was the standard for Kawi. Now its not...
Its all about getting the bike out the door at the more affordable price. Despite the fact, that the buyer knows full well there is a...
Its all about getting the bike out the door at the more affordable price. Despite the fact, that the buyer knows full well there is a list of potential upgrades he might want to or need to make- Aluminium bars being one of them.

But once he's saved up and bought his 'budget' bike, he's in the game! If he doesn't want to spend more money on Al. Bars, then..... don't crash it! Crashing gets expensive brother. Otherwise, those steel bars will do the job perfectly well.

As for tyres- they're a consumable. The buyer again accepts that this new budget bike IS NOT the top of the tree! His tyres will be ok to do the job... if he wanted something better, he knows he could've bought the top model, but he couldn't stretch to that at this time, so these cheap tyres will have to suffice for now.

The idea works.
Donovan759 wrote:
Okay. Lets take a current example. (And I'm not sure what the obsession is with tires & handlebars here) but just to prove to you that...
Okay. Lets take a current example. (And I'm not sure what the obsession is with tires & handlebars here) but just to prove to you that your theory is flawed... lets look at the 1 Jap. company still building 2 strokes. Yamaha YZ 125's come with Dunlop tires, KYB Suspension, Aluminum Adjustable Bars, Titanium Foot Pegs, etc... The 125 has a MSRP of $6,499. The YZ 250F has a MSRP of $7,699.

To think that if the other 3 Jap. companies wouldn't follow suit and offer the same high quality bike if they were to start building 2 stroke. race bikes again is a ridiculous argument. Its not about getting the bike out the door. Its about building the best bike. If it wasn't about that, we'd all be riding pieces of garbage... If you want to buy a cheap bike, go look at Chinese companies. They're dirt cheap. And will fall apart on you in days.

The Big 4 aren't going to offer garbage like that. And to think they would intentionally put a inferior parts on 2 stroke bikes and superior parts on 4 stroke race bikes is ignorant thinking. Yamaha's current line is the proof to that. Yes, they aren't doing anywhere near the R&D they're doing on their 4strokes and not much has been upgraded since 2007, but they aren't putting cheap parts on their bikes to get them out the door.
You've totally missed my point.
What do you not understand about ENTRY LEVEL.
NOT a bike for the guy who has aspirations of qualifying for Lorettas, nor for the guy who wants to privateer some outdoor nationals.

We're talking a dirtbike, that's cheap to buy, even cheaper to run, will do hundreds of hours between rebuilds and when it does go wrong the list of parts won't break the bank.
I know you'll struggle with this, but picture a TTR250 engined, 1998 YZ125 steel chassis, basic suspension and dare I mention steel bars?!
(There's no obsession with steel bars, just that they're one part that's cheap)

So this isn't about a rider wanting to compete on the latest & greatest equipment. This isn't about a manufacturer competing to make the best bike compared to another manufacturer (remember, they are using their top line models for that) this is about putting bums on seats. This is about making off road motorcycle riding more accessible to the masses.
11/8/2017 11:13pm
mauidex wrote:
really not sure why some of you cannot grasp the concept of ENTRY LEVEL?!?!??!?! this is what the sport needs more than anything, more asses on...
really not sure why some of you cannot grasp the concept of ENTRY LEVEL?!?!??!?! this is what the sport needs more than anything, more asses on seats!!!
Bingo!
11/8/2017 11:16pm
Its all about getting the bike out the door at the more affordable price. Despite the fact, that the buyer knows full well there is a...
Its all about getting the bike out the door at the more affordable price. Despite the fact, that the buyer knows full well there is a list of potential upgrades he might want to or need to make- Aluminium bars being one of them.

But once he's saved up and bought his 'budget' bike, he's in the game! If he doesn't want to spend more money on Al. Bars, then..... don't crash it! Crashing gets expensive brother. Otherwise, those steel bars will do the job perfectly well.

As for tyres- they're a consumable. The buyer again accepts that this new budget bike IS NOT the top of the tree! His tyres will be ok to do the job... if he wanted something better, he knows he could've bought the top model, but he couldn't stretch to that at this time, so these cheap tyres will have to suffice for now.

The idea works.
Donovan759 wrote:
Okay. Lets take a current example. (And I'm not sure what the obsession is with tires & handlebars here) but just to prove to you that...
Okay. Lets take a current example. (And I'm not sure what the obsession is with tires & handlebars here) but just to prove to you that your theory is flawed... lets look at the 1 Jap. company still building 2 strokes. Yamaha YZ 125's come with Dunlop tires, KYB Suspension, Aluminum Adjustable Bars, Titanium Foot Pegs, etc... The 125 has a MSRP of $6,499. The YZ 250F has a MSRP of $7,699.

To think that if the other 3 Jap. companies wouldn't follow suit and offer the same high quality bike if they were to start building 2 stroke. race bikes again is a ridiculous argument. Its not about getting the bike out the door. Its about building the best bike. If it wasn't about that, we'd all be riding pieces of garbage... If you want to buy a cheap bike, go look at Chinese companies. They're dirt cheap. And will fall apart on you in days.

The Big 4 aren't going to offer garbage like that. And to think they would intentionally put a inferior parts on 2 stroke bikes and superior parts on 4 stroke race bikes is ignorant thinking. Yamaha's current line is the proof to that. Yes, they aren't doing anywhere near the R&D they're doing on their 4strokes and not much has been upgraded since 2007, but they aren't putting cheap parts on their bikes to get them out the door.
newmann wrote:
[i]The Big 4 aren't going to offer garbage like that.[/i] Read what you type before hitting submit. People tell me that all the time...:laugh: [img]https://powersports.honda.com/assets/flash/model/gallery/CB300FABS_2017_05.jpg[/img] Honda...
The Big 4 aren't going to offer garbage like that.

Read what you type before hitting submit. People tell me that all the time...Laughing

Honda can offer this up for $4100.00 with lights, mirrors, electric start, water cooling/radiator, battery, custom paint tach, speedo, gauges and mag wheels but they can't offer up a stripped down, decent air cooled 2 stroke dirt bike that will make its way around a track or trails with a beginner rider on board for $3995.00? And of course I wouldn't expect Honda to be the one to do it but KTM could make a killing.
Newmann gets it!
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
11/8/2017 11:52pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2017 11:55pm
Im a two-stroke guy and its all I own. I believe the four-stroke revolution was one of several factors that is responsible for the decline. However, there are much bigger issues, a lot out of which are out of the industry’s control, that are influencing participation numbers.

Currently, $20,000 (and higher) four-strokes (that never had a two stroke market) are flying out of showrooms to be loaded up in 100k rigs, that are not going to races, with their entire families that can all partake in. I see more of these setups, on a daily basis (everyday and every weekend), than I saw when MX participation numbers were big. There are still a lot of people out there, with large amounts of expendible income to spend. Those people are not choosing to spend it on MX, at any level.

Im not sure what the answer to problem is. That is, if there is an answer.
KDXGarage
11/9/2017 12:57am
kzizok wrote:
Im a two-stroke guy and its all I own. I believe the four-stroke revolution was one of several factors that is responsible for the decline. However...
Im a two-stroke guy and its all I own. I believe the four-stroke revolution was one of several factors that is responsible for the decline. However, there are much bigger issues, a lot out of which are out of the industry’s control, that are influencing participation numbers.

Currently, $20,000 (and higher) four-strokes (that never had a two stroke market) are flying out of showrooms to be loaded up in 100k rigs, that are not going to races, with their entire families that can all partake in. I see more of these setups, on a daily basis (everyday and every weekend), than I saw when MX participation numbers were big. There are still a lot of people out there, with large amounts of expendible income to spend. Those people are not choosing to spend it on MX, at any level.

"There is a reason the kdx 200 is no longer made."

EPA and 2006 legislation (same reason KTM's stopped coming with spark arrestors and USFS legal and went to "race only" and silencers)

FOR KZIZOK... Would you say SxS is the new way of when four wheeler purchases took away from motorcycle purchases, or are people buying SxS's instead of a four wheeler??
Motofinne
11/9/2017 1:48am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2017 1:54am
newmann wrote:
He sounds like me for the past decade and a half. But I was just whining, right? KTM could even build the $3995.00 air cooled 2...
He sounds like me for the past decade and a half. But I was just whining, right?

KTM could even build the $3995.00 air cooled 2 stroke with PDS linkless suspension and lower level components. Engine could be built to use a 125, 175 or 200cc top end. No need for machined hubs, leave them cast. No need for hydraulic clutch or massive 260mm and up Brembo's stock.
Maybe they could. But here is why they wont:

Magazine X and Y will review the bike and come to the conclusion that buying an 2013-2015 SX for the same price will be the better alternative.

Building and selling entry level road bikes is a huge market(especially in Asia which is the priority for the OEMs) but that would never work in our industry and that is unfortunate.
11/9/2017 2:30am
Rose tinted glasses, I see more brand new bikes at the track now than I ever did growing up. People even at club level want to be on a competitive bike, which is a 4 stroke. We have a whole generation of riders now that have no affinity or care for 2 strokes, they have never raced or enjoyed riding them.

The attitude towards the sport (and all sports) has changed, and I think people often confuse that with the introduction of 4 strokes. Most riders want the most competitive and best machinery, people train and ride more during the week and take the weekends much more seriously.
11/9/2017 3:03am
Rose tinted glasses, I see more brand new bikes at the track now than I ever did growing up. People even at club level want to...
Rose tinted glasses, I see more brand new bikes at the track now than I ever did growing up. People even at club level want to be on a competitive bike, which is a 4 stroke. We have a whole generation of riders now that have no affinity or care for 2 strokes, they have never raced or enjoyed riding them.

The attitude towards the sport (and all sports) has changed, and I think people often confuse that with the introduction of 4 strokes. Most riders want the most competitive and best machinery, people train and ride more during the week and take the weekends much more seriously.
I see the opposite- I see far fewer brand new bikes at the track these days than I did when I was growing up. In my youth days, I was lucky enough to have a brand new bike every single year. But I wasn't alone. The local dealer was selling lots of bikes back then. If you hadn't put a deposit on next seasons kx60 by July, you weren't going to get one!
Back then a trade in was easy and cost effective. We didn't spend a penny on the bike in one season, maybe a rear tyre and fit the piston kit that came with the spares kit and that was that.

Nowadays, bikes are too dear and depreciate far too much.

There is however, more brand new bikes recently than say.... 7-10 years ago. 0% finance schemes have helped new bike sales massively. But the second hand market is trashed for the same reason! Theres a glut of 2-3 year old 250fs & 450s that aren't selling or are selling very cheaply. No one wants them as they're still a fair 'lump' of cash that someone has to save up, whereas a brand new one is easy to put a small deposit on and make monthly payments.
11/9/2017 3:11am
newmann wrote:
He sounds like me for the past decade and a half. But I was just whining, right? KTM could even build the $3995.00 air cooled 2...
He sounds like me for the past decade and a half. But I was just whining, right?

KTM could even build the $3995.00 air cooled 2 stroke with PDS linkless suspension and lower level components. Engine could be built to use a 125, 175 or 200cc top end. No need for machined hubs, leave them cast. No need for hydraulic clutch or massive 260mm and up Brembo's stock.
Motofinne wrote:
Maybe they could. But here is why they wont: Magazine X and Y will review the bike and come to the conclusion that buying an 2013-2015...

Magazine X and Y will review the bike and come to the conclusion that buying an 2013-2015 SX for the same price will be the better alternative.

Building and selling entry level road bikes is a huge market(especially in Asia which is the priority for the OEMs) but that would never work in our industry and that is unfortunate.
I hear you, but your 2013-2015 125SX will have a worn out motor, linkage bearings, tyres, the list goes on..... PLUS the fact you're back in to the regular maintenance at low hours scenario. Pistons at 20-30hrs, cranks at 70-80 hrs,
The chance of cylinder replates, etc etc..

The point of it would be that a 'budget' bike will be cheap to buy and be able to put 100s and 100s of hours on it with zero to little maintenance. Oil, filters, fuel & tyres. Thats it. This will attract new riders, who buy, ride, improve, want something better and then buy the premium models.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
11/9/2017 4:26am
KDXGarage wrote:
"There is a reason the kdx 200 is no longer made." EPA and 2006 legislation (same reason KTM's stopped coming with spark arrestors and USFS legal...
"There is a reason the kdx 200 is no longer made."

EPA and 2006 legislation (same reason KTM's stopped coming with spark arrestors and USFS legal and went to "race only" and silencers)

FOR KZIZOK... Would you say SxS is the new way of when four wheeler purchases took away from motorcycle purchases, or are people buying SxS's instead of a four wheeler??
Thats a good question. More-so, its just that money is out there and people arent choosing to spend it on dirt bikes.
reded
11/9/2017 4:58am
kzizok wrote:
Im a two-stroke guy and its all I own. I believe the four-stroke revolution was one of several factors that is responsible for the decline. However...

It's much less headache for a guy to spend the extra money on a SXS that the entire family can have fun with than it is to listen to his wife bitch about having to take care of the kids while he's off having fun by himself all weekend.

At least that's what I've witnessed. I have both and a wife who hates dirt but respects my love for it so it's a win/win for me.
Motofinne
11/9/2017 5:00am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2017 5:10am
newmann wrote:

Motofinne wrote:
Maybe they could. But here is why they wont: Magazine X and Y will review the bike and come to the conclusion that buying an 2013-2015...

I hear you, but your 2013-2015 125SX will have a worn out motor, linkage bearings, tyres, the list goes on..... PLUS the fact you're back in...
I hear you, but your 2013-2015 125SX will have a worn out motor, linkage bearings, tyres, the list goes on..... PLUS the fact you're back in to the regular maintenance at low hours scenario. Pistons at 20-30hrs, cranks at 70-80 hrs,
The chance of cylinder replates, etc etc..

The point of it would be that a 'budget' bike will be cheap to buy and be able to put 100s and 100s of hours on it with zero to little maintenance. Oil, filters, fuel & tyres. Thats it. This will attract new riders, who buy, ride, improve, want something better and then buy the premium models.
I get you point and i agree to an extent. But the typical MX mags will compare the budget 4k bike to a 2,5-4k used bike. And the consumers will do it too. Yes some will rather buy the brand new "low end" bike but some will get a relatively fresh used bike for the same price and put a few hundreds in changing wear parts on it.

The cheap bikes we could ride 100h on without any major maintenance are available at the moment from the Japanese brands. KLX, CRF F etc... But you can't ride anywhere near "properly" on a MX track with a bike like that if you are an adult. Those are play/trailbikes.

Donovan759
11/9/2017 5:13am
You've totally missed my point. What do you not understand about ENTRY LEVEL. NOT a bike for the guy who has aspirations of qualifying for Lorettas...
NOT a bike for the guy who has aspirations of qualifying for Lorettas, nor for the guy who wants to privateer some outdoor nationals.

We're talking a dirtbike, that's cheap to buy, even cheaper to run, will do hundreds of hours between rebuilds and when it does go wrong the list of parts won't break the bank.
I know you'll struggle with this, but picture a TTR250 engined, 1998 YZ125 steel chassis, basic suspension and dare I mention steel bars?!

So this isn't about a rider wanting to compete on the latest & greatest equipment. This isn't about a manufacturer competing to make the best bike compared to another manufacturer (remember, they are using their top line models for that) this is about putting bums on seats. This is about making off road motorcycle riding more accessible to the masses.
I haven't missed anything. I just disagree with your take on what an "entry level" class would look like. It doesn't make my take on it incorrect simply because I don't see it the same way you do.

Offroad motorcycle riding is accessible to the masses... I'm not sure when it became "inaccessible". Its called "buy used on Craigslist". If that's not good enough for you... its called... buy a CRF230, TTR 230 etc...

And to be clear... When I started posting in this thread... my only point was to say... If people think that the Big 4 are going to release NEW two stroke race bikes at a low cost, they are wrong. They won't sell for much less than 1k under what 4 stroke race bikes sell for. That's all I was saying.

And that's what this "entry level" class is that everyone is talking about. Everyone wants to see two stroke racing back in stadiums and they want there to be a 3rd class added that is a 2 stroke class for privateers to have an opportunity to make a name for themselves. The desire was born out of the lack of actual privateers able to show up in a van and go race for points week in and week out.

Glad you had the keyboard courage to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about though.
11/9/2017 5:45am
You've totally missed my point. What do you not understand about ENTRY LEVEL. NOT a bike for the guy who has aspirations of qualifying for Lorettas...

Donovan759 wrote:
I haven't missed anything. I just disagree with your take on what an "entry level" class would look like. It doesn't make my take on it...
I haven't missed anything. I just disagree with your take on what an "entry level" class would look like. It doesn't make my take on it incorrect simply because I don't see it the same way you do.

Offroad motorcycle riding is accessible to the masses... I'm not sure when it became "inaccessible". Its called "buy used on Craigslist". If that's not good enough for you... its called... buy a CRF230, TTR 230 etc...

And to be clear... When I started posting in this thread... my only point was to say... If people think that the Big 4 are going to release NEW two stroke race bikes at a low cost, they are wrong. They won't sell for much less than 1k under what 4 stroke race bikes sell for. That's all I was saying.

And that's what this "entry level" class is that everyone is talking about. Everyone wants to see two stroke racing back in stadiums and they want there to be a 3rd class added that is a 2 stroke class for privateers to have an opportunity to make a name for themselves. The desire was born out of the lack of actual privateers able to show up in a van and go race for points week in and week out.

Glad you had the keyboard courage to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about though.
Are you high on something? Please point out exactly where I said you don't know what you're talking about.

Why did you mention a new YZ125? And even then comparing new price to a YZF250?
That's not what the conversation was about. It was about the manufacturers coming forward with a budget, entry level bike.

The sport became inaccessible when bike got expensive. And repairing got even more expensive.
CRF250/TTR230- nah! I'm thinking better than that and certainly full size bikes with 21"/19" wheels.

Lastly, I don't THINK the manufacturers are going to do it. I just think it would be a good idea.

Now, where did I say you don't know what you're talking about?
Donovan759
11/9/2017 5:56am
Are you high on something? Please point out exactly where I said you don't know what you're talking about. Why did you mention a new YZ125...
Are you high on something? Please point out exactly where I said you don't know what you're talking about.

That's not what the conversation was about. It was about the manufacturers coming forward with a budget, entry level bike.

The sport became inaccessible when bike got expensive. And repairing got even more expensive.
CRF250/TTR230- nah! I'm thinking better than that and certainly full size bikes with 21"/19" wheels.

Lastly, I don't THINK the manufacturers are going to do it. I just think it would be a good idea.

Okay man.. I'm done blowing up this thread with our disagreement. This is just nonsensical.
mxb2
11/9/2017 6:05am
If there was a profit to be made, they would be built. This is not 1990 any more, stuff costs more $$. I doubt your paycheck is the same as it was in 1990. People want cool stuff,but complain on prices. A 5 year old yz125 is better than a new entry level bike.
11/9/2017 6:19am
Are you high on something? Please point out exactly where I said you don't know what you're talking about. Why did you mention a new YZ125...

Donovan759 wrote:
Okay man.. I'm done blowing up this thread with our disagreement. This is just nonsensical.
I agree its nonsensical. You don't know what you're talking about & clearly high on something.. :-)
gt80rider
11/9/2017 7:09am
BobPA wrote:
No idea. 500's are a pure novelty to me. The only people I know that ride them like to race in fields with no helmets and...
No idea. 500's are a pure novelty to me. The only people I know that ride them like to race in fields with no helmets and Budweiser.

No one is ever going to buy this air cooled, mythical creature that keep talking about. Usually I support your two stroke posts, but this is just too far fetched. There is a reason the kdx 200 is no longer made. The entry market level is covered by the current crop of Japanese air cooled four strokes. That require oil every once in a while, and maybe an air filter. A two stroke version will just require more maintenance for the average consumer.

If people want a race bike to start their riding career, they will go on Craigslist and get a true used race bike. Not spend $5k on a glorified XR or RT
Sure, the big four have air cooled four strokes for entry level machines. Have you looked at them? They are equivalent to re-badging a '82 Ford F-150 as a 2017. Would you want to buy an '82 F-150 brand new off the lot as a '17 with '17 pricing? F no....

Those entry level bikes suck, therefore nobody buys them. Want people to buy entry level machines? Don't sell ones that suck. Not sucking involves a bit more modern suspension, real brakes, and a touch more power to put some thrill into it without killing a first time rider.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
11/9/2017 7:53am
BobPA wrote:

gt80rider wrote:
Sure, the big four have air cooled four strokes for entry level machines. Have you looked at them? They are equivalent to re-badging a '82 Ford...
Sure, the big four have air cooled four strokes for entry level machines. Have you looked at them? They are equivalent to re-badging a '82 Ford F-150 as a 2017. Would you want to buy an '82 F-150 brand new off the lot as a '17 with '17 pricing? F no....

Those entry level bikes suck, therefore nobody buys them. Want people to buy entry level machines? Don't sell ones that suck. Not sucking involves a bit more modern suspension, real brakes, and a touch more power to put some thrill into it without killing a first time rider.
Your example with the '82 F-150 is literally exactly what is happening in this thread. Did you not see the '80 RM125 and the claim they could sell thousands of them re-badged as 2017's? I agree with you, nobody would buy one.

You're crazy if you think nobody buys the entry level Japanese bikes. They are inexpensive, reliable, and a blast on the trails even for advanced level riders. Grab a few buddies and hit the trails on CRF230's and it is impossible not to have fun. That's how you get new riders hooked on the sport.
newmann
11/9/2017 8:50am
1974 YZ125 high end racer.

1974 MX125 entry level racer.

Choices, for people who don't want the big buck screamer. It worked then, would work again and KTM could pull it off and pull people in. Would make a great trail bike as well as entry level MX bike.

11/9/2017 9:22am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2017 9:24am
Rose tinted glasses, I see more brand new bikes at the track now than I ever did growing up. People even at club level want to...

I see the opposite- I see far fewer brand new bikes at the track these days than I did when I was growing up. In my...
I see the opposite- I see far fewer brand new bikes at the track these days than I did when I was growing up. In my youth days, I was lucky enough to have a brand new bike every single year. But I wasn't alone. The local dealer was selling lots of bikes back then. If you hadn't put a deposit on next seasons kx60 by July, you weren't going to get one!
Back then a trade in was easy and cost effective. We didn't spend a penny on the bike in one season, maybe a rear tyre and fit the piston kit that came with the spares kit and that was that.

Nowadays, bikes are too dear and depreciate far too much.

There is however, more brand new bikes recently than say.... 7-10 years ago. 0% finance schemes have helped new bike sales massively. But the second hand market is trashed for the same reason! Theres a glut of 2-3 year old 250fs & 450s that aren't selling or are selling very cheaply. No one wants them as they're still a fair 'lump' of cash that someone has to save up, whereas a brand new one is easy to put a small deposit on and make monthly payments.
You contradicted yourself, there are fewer new bikes but there are more? From the 80s on wards I would say I have seen a steady increase in new machinery on the line

The economic climate has changed, the attitude towards all sports has changed, and I think people like to try and equate it to the introduction of 4 strokes, it's just a co- incidence of timing.

I raced 2 strokes through schoolboy and early adult, absolutely loved it, but not under the delusion that the same money wasnt thrown at tuning a 2 stroke. This is a Motorsport, people will always spend that extra £ they don't have to try and go faster.
BobPA
11/9/2017 9:23am
KTM already tried this.....

peelout
11/9/2017 10:26am
a glance through this thread is a good indication of where things are going in the sport. pretty soon the racing will be relegated to the millionaires. how anyone can think an entry level bike is not an amazing idea is beyond me.

it's all good. i'd rather load up the camper and go out to the desert and ride for a few days than go out to the moto track and try to keep up with the Jones'. little Jimmy Gohard doesn't need unobtanium $10k bike to have fun... but hey, whatever floats your boat.

different strokes for different folks, right
Tracktor
11/9/2017 10:42am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2017 10:43am
kzizok wrote:

I can buy a brand new 250f for my older kid for $5500. A brand new KTM 85 (2-stroke) for my youngest is $5998. 50's & 65's aren't much cheaper. Do you need on brand new mini to be competitive? Nope. However, when a new kid shows up in 50 beginner on a PW50 and lines up against Cobras there is an issue.

A buddy of mine who is a promoter ran a free 50cc beginner class all season for PW/CRF etc 50's to help bring in new riders. Great idea that more tracks should emulate but won't. Most promoters can't see the forest for the trees at least in the NW. I won't speak to other areas.........

MX declined when it was decided that it needed to be a spectator sport instead of a participant sport. It will never succeed as a spectator sport other than a novelty. Too hard for non-riders to relate.

Electric bikes will possibly save the sport of they can bring the cost down. More riding areas that are easily accessible is a big part of what we need...........

Post a reply to: Mitch Payton Interview

The Latest