roninho
Edited Date/Time 8/30/2019 2:22pm
and some advice for Team USA how to prepare
Sorry, can't manage to embed ....

https://www.facebook.com/mxgpassen/videos/722481641521286/
|
500guy
8/29/2019 9:27am
One thing He could use a lesson in is starts, holy shit He's doing good to start in 25th or better every race.
Premix
8/29/2019 9:41am
Mitchell,

Do you run a paddle tire?

Regards,

Premix Esq.
8/29/2019 9:45am
500guy wrote:
One thing He could use a lesson in is starts, holy shit He's doing good to start in 25th or better every race.
His qualy times are always crap, 20th or so, then it the motos he normally starts 25th and comes up to as far as 10th....

The Shop

500guy
8/29/2019 9:54am
His qualy times are always crap, 20th or so, then it the motos he normally starts 25th and comes up to as far as 10th....
His results are not so bad but doubtful to be much better unless He can start up front a ways.

it seems every moto 27th or higher start move into top 20 maybe below 15th almost like He's not even trying to get a good start.
MudRider1
8/29/2019 10:30am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2019 10:34am
With all the sand dune recreational areas around the US, is Coombs blind, or just too lazy to organize a race and stake out a track and dump water on it?

I mean some beach dudes were able to do it at Cantamar for years and it was great what's the problem?. Plus, a 200 foot dune gap, I mean if Joe Nobodies can do it, can't these guys?

On top of that, every dune area has roads with 3-4 foot deep rollers so why not have a straight with 90 MPH sand whoops Danny Hamel style to a 200 foot dune gap as a rest spot and 50 foot tall sand berms.

Press516
Fantasy
126th
8/29/2019 10:44am
I'm always rooting for Mitch... But can't imagine why he hasn't been able to get a start, AT ALL. His qualy isn't helping him either. Hoping he gets it sorted for next year. I called him as a 10th to 12th place guy when he went over, and I think he can do it, but not starting outside the top 25 in EVERY moto.

DC
8/29/2019 11:28am
MudRider1 wrote:
With all the sand dune recreational areas around the US, is Coombs blind, or just too lazy to organize a race and stake out a track...
With all the sand dune recreational areas around the US, is Coombs blind, or just too lazy to organize a race and stake out a track and dump water on it?

I mean some beach dudes were able to do it at Cantamar for years and it was great what's the problem?. Plus, a 200 foot dune gap, I mean if Joe Nobodies can do it, can't these guys?

On top of that, every dune area has roads with 3-4 foot deep rollers so why not have a straight with 90 MPH sand whoops Danny Hamel style to a 200 foot dune gap as a rest spot and 50 foot tall sand berms.

I'm neither lazy nor blind. There's just not a sand dune in America that could hold the infrastructure of a pro motocross national, nor any that want one.

DC
Racer X
moto0852
8/29/2019 11:53am
MudRider1 wrote:
With all the sand dune recreational areas around the US, is Coombs blind, or just too lazy to organize a race and stake out a track...

DC wrote:
I'm neither lazy nor blind. There's just not a sand dune in America that could hold the infrastructure of a pro motocross national, nor any that...
I'm neither lazy nor blind. There's just not a sand dune in America that could hold the infrastructure of a pro motocross national, nor any that want one.

DC
Racer X
Not sure why someone is calling Davey lazy but anyway... I did race a WORCS race a few years ago at Pismo dunes. That's real sand dunes...no bottom. As deep as anything Europe has. It was fun, challenging and would make an interesting National.

I think there's a lot of Dunes that would allow hosting an event but Davey's right. All the semi's and rigs had to be towed into and out of the event. People were getting stuck all day long! Infrastructure might not work.
8/29/2019 11:53am
roninho wrote:
Thanks, but how do you embed?
on FB page click the video one time for bigger screen , lower right hand corner ..3 dots , click and select "insluiten
works only in bigger screen mode Wink
MudRider1
8/29/2019 12:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2019 12:33pm
MudRider1 wrote:

DC wrote:
I'm neither lazy nor blind. There's just not a sand dune in America that could hold the infrastructure of a pro motocross national, nor any that...

DC
Racer X
Hmmmm. Sure about that?
Vendors galore, games, main stage, paved parking for the semis and teams, etc. What pits other than SX has paved parking?

Guess who is keeping the motocross industry afloat? Every other off road sport.
There are regular people who do other motor sports who have more money tied up in their weekend hobby than 90% of the riders lined up at a national or any local race with as good or better accommodations than the top racers with motorhomes.

You should expand your mind, and constrict it when it comes to current racing pros racing an amateur national also.

https://www.utvguide.net/camp-rzr-glamis-2016/

roninho
8/29/2019 12:05pm
roninho wrote:
Thanks, but how do you embed?
on FB page click the video one time for bigger screen , lower right hand corner ..3 dots , click and select "insluiten works only in...
on FB page click the video one time for bigger screen , lower right hand corner ..3 dots , click and select "insluiten
works only in bigger screen mode Wink
Thanmks
roninho
8/29/2019 12:07pm
Press516 wrote:
I'm always rooting for Mitch... But can't imagine why he hasn't been able to get a start, AT ALL. His qualy isn't helping him either. Hoping...
I'm always rooting for Mitch... But can't imagine why he hasn't been able to get a start, AT ALL. His qualy isn't helping him either. Hoping he gets it sorted for next year. I called him as a 10th to 12th place guy when he went over, and I think he can do it, but not starting outside the top 25 in EVERY moto.

At Lommel he was exactly that, the speed for 10th-12th. He was pretty confident that he would be back next year and expecting to do better.
ATKpilot99
8/29/2019 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2019 12:08pm
MudRider1 wrote:

DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
I remember Hannah once saying there was a track in Keithsburg Illinois that was the roughest sand track he's ever ridden on . I know it was years ago that track was on the schedule but if it's still around could you hold one there ? Is it that same type of deep sand ?
DC
8/29/2019 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2019 12:31pm
MudRider1 wrote:

DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
MudRider1 wrote:
Hmmmm. Sure about that? Vendors galore, games, main stage, paved parking for the semis and teams, etc. What pits other than SX has paved parking? Guess...
Hmmmm. Sure about that?
Vendors galore, games, main stage, paved parking for the semis and teams, etc. What pits other than SX has paved parking?

There are regular people who do other motor sports who have more money tied up in their weekend hobby than 90% of the riders lined up at a national or any local race with as good or better accommodations than the top racers with motorhomes.

You should expand your mind, and constrict it when it comes to current racing pros racing an amateur national also.

Cool, never actually been there (lazy, remember). Not sure how hot it would be between June and August when we hold the MX races, or how many spectators you would get, or even if they would let you fence it off like Hangtown and charge admission... This event was on Halloween weekend in 2016 and I'm guessing it wasn't that hot.

DC
Racer X
DC
8/29/2019 12:29pm
MudRider1 wrote:

DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I remember Hannah once saying there was a track in Keithsburg Illinois that was the roughest sand track he's ever ridden on . I know it...
I remember Hannah once saying there was a track in Keithsburg Illinois that was the roughest sand track he's ever ridden on . I know it was years ago that track was on the schedule but if it's still around could you hold one there ? Is it that same type of deep sand ?
Yes, and Jimmy Weinert and Broc Glover also said that too, that Keithsburg was rougher than anywhere else in America. But unfortunately that track is no longer around, not sure what became of the property...

DC
Racer X
DC
8/29/2019 12:37pm
From the UTV Guide linked above:

"There is over 150,000 acres designated as open or having limited use and about 32,000 acres are designated Wilderness (North Algodones Dunes Wilderness Area) and closed to OHVs (mostly north of Hwy. 78). Although visited year round, during the summer months you need to be prepared for temperatures consistently exceeding 100° and reaching 120° on occasion. However, like most of the California desert, the humidity is low and the nights cool down considerably."
DonM
8/29/2019 12:51pm
MudRider1 wrote:

DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
MudRider1 wrote:
Hmmmm. Sure about that? Vendors galore, games, main stage, paved parking for the semis and teams, etc. What pits other than SX has paved parking? Guess...
Hmmmm. Sure about that?

Love it when somebody "new" comes on here and starts calling people out...it's almost like they've done it before...
cslacker
8/29/2019 1:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2019 1:07pm
DC wrote:
From the UTV Guide linked above: "There is over 150,000 acres designated as open or having limited use and about 32,000 acres are designated Wilderness (North...

"There is over 150,000 acres designated as open or having limited use and about 32,000 acres are designated Wilderness (North Algodones Dunes Wilderness Area) and closed to OHVs (mostly north of Hwy. 78). Although visited year round, during the summer months you need to be prepared for temperatures consistently exceeding 100° and reaching 120° on occasion. However, like most of the California desert, the humidity is low and the nights cool down considerably."
Anything outside of the beginning of May would be virtually unbearable. You also have to factor in the wind out there which can be brutal. 1 good windy day and your track would be gone...

I say go for it!
DC
8/29/2019 1:11pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
MudRider1 wrote:
Hmmmm. Sure about that?

DonM wrote:
Love it when somebody "new" comes on here and starts calling people out...it's almost like they've done it before...
Thanks, I'm used to it by now. Need to expand my mind more and make Mike Brown start racing Razors...

DC
Racer X
8/29/2019 1:13pm
The reality is, there doesn't seem to be any will to hold a proper sand race here. If there's a will, there's a way....

I'm sure somewhere in the Continental US there is a place, and if not, cross the border into Canada, there's a place or two there....

I've attended Lommel, and it's night and day to riding MX here. In 2012 at MXdN the boys were lost compared to the Euros. Riding technique, bike set up, all of it - was mind blowing to see.

I think fans here would flock to a proper sand race were one to materialise.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
8/29/2019 1:20pm
DC wrote:
From the UTV Guide linked above: "There is over 150,000 acres designated as open or having limited use and about 32,000 acres are designated Wilderness (North...

So you're saying it will be a night race?
DonM
8/29/2019 1:20pm
DC wrote:
Thanks, I'm used to it by now. Need to expand my mind more and make Mike Brown start racing Razors...

DC
Racer X
But you'll need to create a class for him...he's not normal it'll be unfair to everyone slower than him....Worm meet can Laughing
Excaliburbmx
8/29/2019 1:35pm
We don’t need a deep sand race. I like what we have. The great outdoors.
DC
8/29/2019 1:36pm
If someone would go build a "real" sand track, we would certainly have a look, but there isn't one in operation that I know of and I can't afford to build one myself. And that track would have to be able to stay in business. Gatorback is still there, but it has less sand than WW Ranch or Southwick. Cocoa Beach and St. Pete and Brooksville and Chicken Farm are all gone. Those are the sandiest tracks I remember racing growing up.

And if we stuck a national in the middle of supercross like it used to be, the teams would refuse to come. That's what ended the Gatorback National.

DC
Racer X
roninho
8/29/2019 1:38pm
DC, would it be possible in the US to get a permit (not sure if that is the correct word) for a one off / one day track? Over here in the Netherlands we have a bunch of races in september/october at one off tracks after the farmers have harvested their crops.

I would think somewhere in the usa in a region with enough mx interest there should some land available with similar sand, just no circuit.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
8/29/2019 1:45pm
roninho wrote:
DC, would it be possible in the US to get a permit (not sure if that is the correct word) for a one off / one...
DC, would it be possible in the US to get a permit (not sure if that is the correct word) for a one off / one day track? Over here in the Netherlands we have a bunch of races in september/october at one off tracks after the farmers have harvested their crops.

I would think somewhere in the usa in a region with enough mx interest there should some land available with similar sand, just no circuit.
It's possible to race on farmland here but good luck finding a farmer willing to put in the effort and money for that. And every year will depend on the city giving a permit on if itll be on the schedule or not.

The coolest track I've ever raced was old cow pasture. They dont hold races anymore Sad
BobPA
8/29/2019 1:55pm
MudRider1 wrote:

DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Infrastructure? How many tables of free coffee and hoagies does the media really need?
Zachintosh
8/29/2019 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2019 1:59pm
I think it would be more cost effective to just bring more sand into Southwick - or amplify the previous efforts to return the sand that washed away over the years. When the vast majority of top guys race there with an intermediate tire, it's pretty obvious Southwick is not a sand track anymore, though it certainly could be with the right amount of work (and funds).

Post a reply to: Mitch Harrison on Euro sand vs. US sand

The Latest