Misconceptions About Alta, From An Alta Rep...

Johnny Depp
4/19/2018 7:26pm
"Tobz
My biggest concern is that your trying to push into the the ICE classes.

The bikes themselves are fantastic but I worry about the sport of we allow electric bikes mix with valved bikes. They're a separate beast and deserve their own class. We'll only kill the sport further if we allow one type of bike to squish the other.

I can't only hope the powers that be are taking not of how motogp and f1 are handling the electric rage."

Other than an impassioned plea, you don't make much of an argument for banning e-bikes.
tobz
4/19/2018 7:35pm
You interpreted my post as a call for them to be banned? Laughing
tobz
4/19/2018 7:48pm

Like I said, take note of how the most successful motorsports in the world handle it.

The Shop

500guy
4/19/2018 7:49pm
Not in the same class equals banned.
So an 85 not allowed to race in the 65 class is banned from racing ?

Since there is no way to make the racing fair , I totally agree they should be in an E bike class / classes
cheers_22
4/19/2018 7:55pm
"Tobz My biggest concern is that your trying to push into the the ICE classes. The bikes themselves are fantastic but I worry about the sport...
"Tobz
My biggest concern is that your trying to push into the the ICE classes.

The bikes themselves are fantastic but I worry about the sport of we allow electric bikes mix with valved bikes. They're a separate beast and deserve their own class. We'll only kill the sport further if we allow one type of bike to squish the other.

I can't only hope the powers that be are taking not of how motogp and f1 are handling the electric rage."

Other than an impassioned plea, you don't make much of an argument for banning e-bikes.
Have you watched an electric F1 race. It’s shit. At the end of the day this is motorsports. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel. And at 14k... little ridiculous.
Ted722
4/19/2018 8:02pm
Not in the same class equals banned.
500guy wrote:
So an 85 not allowed to race in the 65 class is banned from racing ? Since there is no way to make the racing fair...
So an 85 not allowed to race in the 65 class is banned from racing ?

Since there is no way to make the racing fair , I totally agree they should be in an E bike class / classes
Maybe by the 57th annual Loretta's those little guys will be able to race the Vet class on E-Bikes or whatever they put their money down on.
4/19/2018 8:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2018 8:53pm
Not that anyone should care much, just a VET B class guy perspective, but i'll share my experience from riding the new Alta MXR at Glen Helen, and I rode the crap out of the bike, pushed it as hard as my average-guy could.

There's 4 modes/maps on the handlebar. Map 1 is mellow, 4 is gnarly. I liked map 3 and I can say without any reservation the torque, bottom-end if you will pulls harder and more linear than any 450 stock or mod bike i've ridden. It was very impressive. The bike cornered as well as any 450 i've rode but...and it's a big one, the track we rode was the equivalent of 1st/2nd gear track for a 250/450. I have no idea what high speed stability, tracking is like. Jumping was kind of strange, but I think it was because of the lack of RPMs.

My only complaint was around 1/2 throttle there seemed to be a delay when I would twist the throttle. Kind of like if you played with remote control cars, it's difficult to modulate the power from 25% - 75%. It's easy to go 0% - 100%...but the fine throttle control was a bit of a struggle for me. It wanted to kinda pause then slam in to the power.

Having said that, if the bike had better suspension, weighed 15-20% less and the price came down 25-30%..i would be all over it.

I'm buying a 2018 450 and i'm fully confident it will be the last combustion engine bike..."stamp it". lol

Doug

Ps., I honestly get that feeling that it's 1997 and we're looking at the YZ400f....
omalley
4/19/2018 10:04pm
charley586 wrote:
Thanks for the info and I would love soo much that Alta jump the north wall and bring the Alta over here. It will be a...
Thanks for the info and I would love soo much that Alta jump the north wall and bring the Alta over here. It will be a blessing for me living in a small ski hill town who hate noise (some peoples complained about chain on mountain bike noise.. it's that bad). Anyway I will keep your contact as I travel few times each year to Austin on business trip and will contact you for a test ride.
Seriously......people complain about chain noise from a Mountain Bike??????? Thats just absurd and nit picking bec their lives suck or theyre extremely unhappy in life bec...
Seriously......people complain about chain noise from a Mountain Bike??????? Thats just absurd and nit picking bec their lives suck or theyre extremely unhappy in life bec its nearly impossibld to hear that from 100 feet away. Hearing someone complain about such a miniscule sound like that would infuriate me ....you should tape a playing card onto your mtb bike and just to show them the finger lol
That’s because it’s not the chain noise, or engine noise, or dust, or erosion-those are all just tools to get what these miserable people really want, which is a ban on everything they don’t like or understand. Miserable human beings.

Post a reply to: Misconceptions About Alta, From An Alta Rep...

The Latest