Minneapolis? [-> updated to Thanks, Feld!, 2014]

Edited Date/Time 4/24/2014 5:50am
Feld is doing the sport (and themselves) a disservice by giving Minneapolis the April date for a supercross when there aren't any races within a 9 hour drive of the largest population density in our country (see attached map for supercross locations overlaid onto the population density of the US). Supercross TV ratings suck, and it's no wonder since the product isn't brought to where the US population actually resides. These are the people with TVs.

I've heard all the arguments: unions, weather, people don't care, etc. But Feld needs to balance the risk and cost of putting on an event out here against whatever the TV package costs to put on the air. And the weather ain't bad here in April, so that argument has been thrown out the window (the internet shows that the temperature on that date typically varies between 43 and 55). People around here care enough to support Unadilla, Steel City, Budds Creek, Mt. Morris and Southwick so I am pretty sure some of these MX fans probably like SX too.

I went to the IndyCar race in downtown Baltimore this year and there were a lot of people there, many of them new fans. This is the route towards growth. NASCAR doesn't only race in the south anymore and they've done a bit better with what I think is an inferior product.

|
Husqerdo
10/26/2012 11:12pm
That's because Minneapolis used to be on the schedule very frequently and is almost always sold out, and i bet it will be sold out this year now that its finally back.
moto543
10/26/2012 11:57pm
Husqerdo wrote:
That's because Minneapolis used to be on the schedule very frequently and is almost always sold out, and i bet it will be sold out this...
That's because Minneapolis used to be on the schedule very frequently and is almost always sold out, and i bet it will be sold out this year now that its finally back.
Remember in '96 when they had it in January? It was below 0 if I recall - 2 words for that night.... SOLD OUT!!!!! That's why it's on the schedule!
10/27/2012 5:51am
I get that. All Anaheims /LA sell out too. But the point is that we'll never grow the TV audience or sport by keeping it in the same locations and keeping it 9 plus hours from the bulk of the American population as I've displayed here.
neysbo
10/27/2012 5:57am
just how many domes are in the Northeast that could handle a Supercross. Maybe the Carrier Dome and I know Feld looked at that in the past. Even in April it is to risky to try and run a SX in a open air stadium out there as the weather can be real crappy. You guys have your share of outdoors so it balances out.

The Shop

NeKawBoy
10/27/2012 6:52am
I would love to see the Northern rounds held earlier in the series. The reason Minneapolis stopped selling out and was dropped off the schedule is because they started holding the races in the spring. It will pull more fans in Jan or Feb than it will in April due to the fact people in the Great White North are looking for indoor activities in January and February when it's too cold to do outdoor activities. By April a new riding season is already here.
crusher773
10/27/2012 8:46am
Yeah how many times do we have to go over this. Its because there are no domes up there and its pretty much impossible to have one with the weather there that time of year without one.
KMC440
10/27/2012 9:02am
They should do one at Charlotte M.S. similar to Daytona in early April so they'd have a month to prep for their May events.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3600th
10/27/2012 9:47am
You might have a bigger population on the east coast. That said most people in the city dont own or follow motocross. Minneapolis used to have a huge turnout. So I guess well have to see what happens now....
Husqerdo
10/27/2012 9:48am
I get that. All Anaheims /LA sell out too. But the point is that we'll never grow the TV audience or sport by keeping it in...
I get that. All Anaheims /LA sell out too. But the point is that we'll never grow the TV audience or sport by keeping it in the same locations and keeping it 9 plus hours from the bulk of the American population as I've displayed here.
You bitch about keeping it in the same locations, and then you question MPLS? It has been 5 years since the last MPLS race, and it was a 4 year gap before that. So, you are OK with 50% of the races being on the west coast yet you question a midwest race which is heavily populated (% wise) with real MX riders/fans? The MPLS race has averaged well over 50,000 in attendance, not sure how that compares with the Northeast SX stats but I would like to know if you care to share.
CR250Rider
10/27/2012 9:56am
just pony up to the unions and jack up ticket prices 2 bucks to cover it. BFD

Feld is jumping over a dollar to not spend a nickle. real smart
yanks_178
10/27/2012 10:11am
Minneapolis is a nice place for a race.. sold out everytime and in a dome so weather isn't going to be a factor in the race. This Metrodome will be around for about 2 more years before they tear it down and replace it with a no roof stadium for the Vikings. This could be the last SX we get to see in this area.
10/27/2012 10:46am
I get that. All Anaheims /LA sell out too. But the point is that we'll never grow the TV audience or sport by keeping it in...
Husqerdo wrote:
You bitch about keeping it in the same locations, and then you question MPLS? It has been 5 years since the last MPLS race, and it...
You bitch about keeping it in the same locations, and then you question MPLS? It has been 5 years since the last MPLS race, and it was a 4 year gap before that. So, you are OK with 50% of the races being on the west coast yet you question a midwest race which is heavily populated (% wise) with real MX riders/fans? The MPLS race has averaged well over 50,000 in attendance, not sure how that compares with the Northeast SX stats but I would like to know if you care to share.
I didn't say I was OK with 50 percent of the races being in SoCal. And I have nothing against Minneapolis as a race on the schedule. I don't think we need a dome in April, and I remember snow in Salt Lake. It's also not just about moto in NYC, there are a lot of big cities around here, like Boston, Philly, DC etc.

Everyone here is missing my greater point-everyone bitches about growing the sport but we will never do that without bringing SX to where people live. And to the poster that suggests that the outdoors balances it out, there's no way I can bring casual fans to the middle of dusty nowhere and expect them to be into it. I can bring them to a stadium and give them a few beers though-much easier sell to get people interested.

People on the East Coast go into those stadiums in droves in the thick of winter to watch men throw a ball around. Pretty sure they'd do the same in April to watch a much better show. There's only one way to get the TV numbers up: it's why Bernie Ecclestone is trying so hard to get an F1 race with NYC as the backdrop. You can bet he won't get the sanctioning fees that he does out of China or Dubai, but he realizes that a large American TV audience is good for the sponsors and his TV package.
egoman
10/27/2012 1:00pm
Sometimes the theory is flawed. The sprint cars have their largest event in Knoxville Iowa. One of nascars most popular events is in Bristol Tenessee. The off road trucks call wisconson their center. Just because the area has a large population center doesnt mean it will support an event. Not that the area couldnt but quite often with so many options fans dont tend to show up like anticipared.
yz414
10/27/2012 1:49pm
i bet 30% of the crowd in MN is from canada. every racer i know in manitoba is going and I'm sure its the same in saskatchewan
ThePipe
10/27/2012 2:29pm
I'm glad MSP got another SX but the crowd looked pretty thin the last few times they held them.
10/27/2012 4:03pm
egoman wrote:
Sometimes the theory is flawed. The sprint cars have their largest event in Knoxville Iowa. One of nascars most popular events is in Bristol Tenessee. The...
Sometimes the theory is flawed. The sprint cars have their largest event in Knoxville Iowa. One of nascars most popular events is in Bristol Tenessee. The off road trucks call wisconson their center. Just because the area has a large population center doesnt mean it will support an event. Not that the area couldnt but quite often with so many options fans dont tend to show up like anticipared.
I agree with you in general. Bristol might be a lot of people's favorite race because their used to be a lot of fights but that's not the biggest crowd: this year, Charlotte, Daytona, Talladega, Texas, Las Vegas and Kentucky had more. Bristol only had 102K out of the seating capacity of 152,000 filled in 2012 - check Jayski.com

Sprint cars haven't exactly done well though, have they? I guess that's my point - if we want to grow into something bigger. Something where they pay Feld for putting it on TV instead of Feld paying for it to be put on TV. The TV package for The World of Outlaws was really bad and I am pretty sure attendance is down across the board for WoO. The trucks you cite aren't much better and I am sure pay a pretty penny to get on TV. NASCAR is the only show mentioned that gets paid big bucks for the TV rights (2.4 billion from Fox through 2022 for only PART of the schedule). And NASCAR's schedule has moved from being largely only in the South to completely spread across the country. This was exactly part of NASCAR's strategy many years ago. From here, I can go to Pocono, Dover, New Hampshire, Watkins Glen, and Richmond. Some of those would be a drive but Pocono, Dover, New Hampshire are pretty close.

Despite these nearby races, NASCAR bought property on Staten Island in NYC and tried very hard to lobby the residents for a track here. They spent millions and years fighting local government before giving it up. Likewise, many millions will be spent to build the infrastructure for the F1 race. Feld has it easy since there are already stadiums, like the Meadowlands, or Gillette, or Camden Yards. Yes, they might lose money for a while while trying to grow a fan base but not necessarily, and the idea is that TV ratings will go up.
Flatliner
10/27/2012 4:34pm
yz414 wrote:
i bet 30% of the crowd in MN is from canada. every racer i know in manitoba is going and I'm sure its the same in...
i bet 30% of the crowd in MN is from canada. every racer i know in manitoba is going and I'm sure its the same in saskatchewan
I agree. See an awesome race and a good excuse to spend money at bobs.
egoman
10/27/2012 5:04pm
Flatliner wrote:
I agree. See an awesome race and a good excuse to spend money at bobs.
Aint that the truth though. I can allways get the extra large equipment I need there out of the bargain bin.
Gukamonster
10/27/2012 6:50pm
For an east coast round to work it needs to be a day-time race on a Saturday or Sunday. Running a race at night in April on the eastern seaboard is a lot riskier. Not sure what the fetish is with night only races, lots of historical races were run during the day.

Citizens Bank Park, home of the Philadelphia Phillies, average Apiril high of 63.9 F (17.7C), average low of 44.0F
(6.7C)
Husqerdo
10/27/2012 6:57pm
ThePipe wrote:
I'm glad MSP got another SX but the crowd looked pretty thin the last few times they held them.
What was your viewpoint? I was there and I can't say what the attendance #'s were but it was packed. Many Canadians which is great because they made the long trip because they are real rider/fans, you on the other hand sat on your ass in Wisconsin.
Are you planning to attend this years race?
ThePipe
10/27/2012 9:48pm
ThePipe wrote:
Husqerdo wrote:
What was your viewpoint? I was there and I can't say what the attendance #'s were but it was packed. Many Canadians which is great because...
What was your viewpoint? I was there and I can't say what the attendance #'s were but it was packed. Many Canadians which is great because they made the long trip because they are real rider/fans, you on the other hand sat on your ass in Wisconsin.
Are you planning to attend this years race?
My view point?
Well.... I couldn't sit on my ass in WI because I was busy promoting our sport.
I was at every race from the beginning in 1994 and brought 150 fans with me every year from WI on tour bus's
I would know http://www.onthepiperacing.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=30795
if attendance dropped.
Seriously, No need to ? if I'm a real fan or racer
I own this biz-> http://www.onthepiperacing.com/ and Yes I'll be there
I don't give a shit how many people show up.
I'm just glad to see the motoRcross Drivers back in MSP
Braaaaap
4/24/2014 5:43am
I want to say thanks Feld!, Prader, and The Powers That Be for making NJ/NY Supercross happen. I obviously didn't have a lot of people on my side in this thread, and I know it took some balls for them to do this race. It looks like it's going to be a good one, so here's to hoping that the gamble has paid off for them and the sport at large.
4/24/2014 5:50am
Also, I am bringing 6 people that have never been to a moto event before. Hopefully a few will become at least passive fans.

Post a reply to: Minneapolis? [-> updated to Thanks, Feld!, 2014]

The Latest