Miller Motorsports Park Closing

71Fish
Edited Date/Time 5/10/2015 7:43pm
I guess I am now forced to hit the August MX race. Miller Motorsports Park is closing in October.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865628232/Source-Miller-Motorsports-…
|
mauidex
5/8/2015 10:48am
wont have to bitch about the national there anymoreWoohoo
KGAspeed
5/8/2015 10:52am
Not surprising at all. I did some work for MMP a couple years ago and was told how much money that operation spent to get pretty much any event they could at their facility, but (at the time) had never had a quarter to report in the black.

It's too bad - MMP is quite the facility. Not for a national motocross event (way better on TV than in-person), but for anything involving pavement, it's a cool place.
The Rock
5/8/2015 10:58am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2015 10:59am
Maybe China could buy it. We have sold so much to them already maybe they'd add MMP to their portfolio.
mauidex
5/8/2015 11:00am
obviously they didnt have the right mix as COTA sure seems to be rockin!!!

The Shop

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
5/8/2015 11:16am
That sucks. At least the National and Moto - America race in June are still on the schedule.
DC
5/8/2015 11:16am
Heard about this already too. We will have the national there in August, and they've promised to make it the best they possibly can. MMP was just a little too far away from Salt Lake City to get the draw they needed on a regular basis, not for a lack of hard work and great people. Good luck to all of the folks who worked there on the facility and all of their events.

DC
MX Sports
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
5/8/2015 11:30am
That's too bad. You hate to see it.
Titan1
5/8/2015 11:42am
That's too bad...hopefully someone else will take over the lease to keep the facility open...I'm not a road race guy, but from the WSB, and AMA road events I attended there, it seem the riders really like the course (it was challenging and safe-long run outs in all but one corner) and the teams loved the facilities.

They could get enough people to attend the events (every major event they had there lasted only a short time...they even got so desperate for major racing events that they were looking to dirt)...and I don't think its a matter of its distance from SLC...I just don't think there is a large enough population in Utah Idaho and Wyoming combined to support the events (that, and with the weather its only open half the year, really). That same exact facility in Texas, Florida, or California with huge populations and better weather would do great.

It was also a hobby/dream of the late Larry H. Miller...I heard it went about 3 times over budget or something like that. (and I was surprised to learn they leased the land from the county...I thought they owned it).
Muzzle
5/8/2015 11:57am
Man, this sucks!

It's tough to no longer have supercross or a national here in Utah to attend. Totally bummed out now.
71Fish
5/8/2015 12:09pm
Titan1 wrote:
That's too bad...hopefully someone else will take over the lease to keep the facility open...I'm not a road race guy, but from the WSB, and AMA...
That's too bad...hopefully someone else will take over the lease to keep the facility open...I'm not a road race guy, but from the WSB, and AMA road events I attended there, it seem the riders really like the course (it was challenging and safe-long run outs in all but one corner) and the teams loved the facilities.

They could get enough people to attend the events (every major event they had there lasted only a short time...they even got so desperate for major racing events that they were looking to dirt)...and I don't think its a matter of its distance from SLC...I just don't think there is a large enough population in Utah Idaho and Wyoming combined to support the events (that, and with the weather its only open half the year, really). That same exact facility in Texas, Florida, or California with huge populations and better weather would do great.

It was also a hobby/dream of the late Larry H. Miller...I heard it went about 3 times over budget or something like that. (and I was surprised to learn they leased the land from the county...I thought they owned it).
The article didn't leave out of the question that someone else could purchase MMP, but the days of MX in it's current form there are over fo sho.
RPM68
5/8/2015 12:12pm
FREESTONE 2016!!!!!
Troy
5/8/2015 12:22pm
Wouldn't be surprised if the Millers end up renegotiating the lease with the county for the future and everything continues on without missing a beat.
SRP33
5/8/2015 12:44pm
Southwick
Xeno
5/8/2015 12:48pm
This thread went from "I'm sorry for your loss" to "Can I have your National?" in about 12 minutes.

It may be a new record- even for Vital standards.
JPT
5/8/2015 1:32pm
I think it was just too far away from population centers to make a go of it.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
5/8/2015 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2015 1:58pm
mauidex wrote:
wont have to bitch about the national there anymoreWoohoo
"They" will bitch about its eventual replacement..
5/8/2015 2:06pm
DC wrote:
Heard about this already too. We will have the national there in August, and they've promised to make it the best they possibly can. MMP was...
Heard about this already too. We will have the national there in August, and they've promised to make it the best they possibly can. MMP was just a little too far away from Salt Lake City to get the draw they needed on a regular basis, not for a lack of hard work and great people. Good luck to all of the folks who worked there on the facility and all of their events.

DC
MX Sports
Davey,

PLEASE use this as an opportunity to put a real sand track into the series - and not Southwick, but something deep and different than all the other tracks.

Thank you.
tp4
5/8/2015 2:10pm
DC wrote:
Heard about this already too. We will have the national there in August, and they've promised to make it the best they possibly can. MMP was...

DC
MX Sports
for the leader in promoting the outdoor series ..were was your integerty in signing up for that junk..you wasted 2 years gonig on 3..Utah could be SO much better ..Natural terrain..Utah!
DC
5/8/2015 2:22pm
Where was my integrity? Trying something different and exploring new areas and giving various regions and facilities a chance has long been part of my MO (and so has coming on here and listening to constructive and helpful criticism and feedback, plus the occasional insult. Comes with the territory -- and my integrity.)

These folks tried hard. It wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but they tried really hard and I respect the effort that the whole Miller organization made to build a world-class racing facility and make it work.

DC
MX Sports
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
5/8/2015 2:27pm
The Rock wrote:
Maybe China could buy it. We have sold so much to them already maybe they'd add MMP to their portfolio.
Maybe could chastise you for that suggestion.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
5/8/2015 2:31pm
tp4 wrote:
for the leader in promoting the outdoor series ..were was your integerty in signing up for that junk..you wasted 2 years gonig on 3..Utah could be...
for the leader in promoting the outdoor series ..were was your integerty in signing up for that junk..you wasted 2 years gonig on 3..Utah could be SO much better ..Natural terrain..Utah!
Did you reslly just ask that querstion?
etccb
5/8/2015 2:40pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2015 2:46pm
That sucks for the us to loose a big motorsports location like that even if it wasn't the best outdoor national location.

Replace it with a euro style softer base bottomless sand track. Find one, make one, or make an existing location into one. It would be cool for us to have 1 round on a track like that.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
5/8/2015 3:12pm
mauidex wrote:
obviously they didnt have the right mix as COTA sure seems to be rockin!!!
You are comparing Circuit of the Americas to Miller Motorsports Park? This is like comparing 7/11 to Mall of America. Really not the same in anyway shape or form. Just because they both have a track with pavement does not make them alike.
Project 2501
Fantasy
288th
5/8/2015 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2015 3:29pm
Miller Perimeter was my favorite road course of all time. Even against Laguna. Even though it was only 10 years old, Unlike COTA and the new breed of tracks miller didn't give you 1 mile straights with 25mph hairpins afterwards. It flowed. Turns 2-3-4 you're deep into triple digits, it was designed like the old school tracks were. It was designed to haul ass on and I loved riding it. The only hairpin it did have (Black Rock) was a deep corner with several lines that encouraged passing. Several top WSBK riders rated as the best stop on their calendar while it was on the schedule.

So bummed about this.

Post a reply to: Miller Motorsports Park Closing

The Latest