Millennium Technologies

Edited Date/Time 4/18/2018 7:12am
After dealing with them the last few weeks, I’m curious to hear other people’s stories who have used their service.

I melted my top end (stupid mistake, jetted lean on a cold day riding in sand) and sent my scraped up cylinder and head to Millennium. A needle bearing came out when the bike seized up, and did fun damage to the cylinder and head, which would require replating. I also requested a port and polish.
All steps of the job were completed (including servicing the power valve) except the replating within two days. At time of my part arriving, their turn around was 7-9 days.
Fast forward over 4 weeks later and I just got my upper end back with priority overnight shipping. I’ll be honest, over 4 weeks to complete replating seems unreal to me. It got to the point to where I just quit calling and figured it will shop up when it shows up as I am at their mercy.
Allegedly, they hired a third shift and had mandatory overtime on weekends (is what I was told). But reading some google reviews makes me sceptical toward their claimed turnaround time ever being true.

I don’t doubt the quality of the work.. but man that turnaround time has killed me.

So before I write them off as another loose program in our industry, what are your experiences with Millennium?
|
Killer Customz
4/17/2018 11:21am
I am one of their dealers in Michigan and know that they truly are about 4 weeks out. I just got one back just a day shy of a month. They do great work and are currently working 3 shifts on 7 days to keep caught up. This is their busiest time of the year as weather breaks. Also, moto is just a very small part of their business.
Bruneval
4/17/2018 11:35am
I had a cylinder replated by them in January-February time and it took about a month. The quality of the work was really excellent, particularly the attention to detail in chamfering the ports. I was in no rush so didn't mind that it took that long, my only grievance is that they charged me a repair fee on top of the cost of the replate, but the cylinder was not damaged. If it was, there was no explanation of what this additional charge was for, just billed to my card and put in the post. The cylinder was for a CR250, so I assumed that this additional cost was to relieve the exhaust bridge, but it did leave a slightly sour taste and they could have communicated what the additional cost was for.

I use Langourt in the UK, and they charge £150 with a 1 week turnaround most of the time. I will take my cylinders back home from now on.
4/17/2018 11:35am
I got work from them and was pleased. I had to wait just as long but didn't think anything of it. I'm mailing off parts to have them worked on and mailed back just like most of their customers. If I needed it in a short turn around I'd either go locally or buy the part new. Sending stuff off will always take time and start the patience game.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/17/2018 11:48am
When I worked for a local shop, every time we sent a cylinder to them it was about 4-6 weeks turn around. There was never a complaint when we got everything back. You may wait a while to get it back from them, but it’s alwasy worth it. Me personally though, if my cylinder and head are chewed up I just replace them with new oem stuff. That’s just me though.

The Shop

kb228
4/17/2018 11:54am
I usually do a core swap. Took a week. Wouldnt reccomend anyone else for cylinder work
Motoxdoc
4/17/2018 12:13pm
If the quality is good for such a technical service, complaining about a 4 week turnaround time on Vital, after destroying your engine, is NOT warranted. Were you in a series...or was there a big race in the near future where there were severe consequences if you didn't show?.....or did you just miss 4 weekends of play riding with your buddies?

If Millennium Tech does excellent work but it takes 4-6 weeks....I know where to send my cylinder if it needs work.
omalley
4/17/2018 12:46pm
My turnaround was about 2 weeks, but this was earlier in the winter when no one was riding. As others said, the work was top notch.
mxtech1
4/17/2018 12:56pm
Kind of weird they didn't put your work at the top of the production schedule as soon as they received it.
4/17/2018 1:08pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
If the quality is good for such a technical service, complaining about a 4 week turnaround time on Vital, after destroying your engine, is NOT warranted...
If the quality is good for such a technical service, complaining about a 4 week turnaround time on Vital, after destroying your engine, is NOT warranted. Were you in a series...or was there a big race in the near future where there were severe consequences if you didn't show?.....or did you just miss 4 weekends of play riding with your buddies?

If Millennium Tech does excellent work but it takes 4-6 weeks....I know where to send my cylinder if it needs work.
I guess preparing for outdoor nationals can wait. You’re right. Next time I want to ask the Vital board a question on their experiences with a company I’ll just DM you instead. Message me your number and I’ll call you next time I need someone to do my smart thinking for me.

4/17/2018 2:12pm
kb228 wrote:
I usually do a core swap. Took a week. Wouldnt reccomend anyone else for cylinder work
If they have spares of your model in stock. They didn't with mine.
newmann
4/17/2018 3:25pm
They have done 2 stroke cylinders for me for the past 15 plus years. Probably 25 of them. Sometimes the turnaround was lightning fast, other times up to a couple weeks depending on what I wanted done and what parts had to be ordered (Wossner pistons, sleeves, cranks rebuilt). Never had an issue with any of their work, ever. I've never been given a reason to look elsewhere for cylinder work.

I guess I shouldn't have sang their praises so much here on Vital and elsewhere. Seems my marketing has worked out a little too well for them...Wink
motofab36
4/17/2018 3:54pm
I use PowerSeal in Pa. and they are also currently running about 4 weeks turnaround time. Its that time of year.
bsharkey
4/17/2018 6:03pm
I've used them for several jobs and they've done great work I've never gotten anything back from them and less than 2 weeks but typically about a month is about right. But to be honest I've never been in a rush all the bikes I've sent them parts for a were project bikes or restore old bikes and wasn't my primary bike to ride
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
4/17/2018 6:26pm
I sent my stuff to Millennium a few weeks ago and looking at about 3-4 weeks turnaround. It's a bummer not being able to ride the bike, but their work is some of the best in the biz. I respect that.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
4/17/2018 6:42pm
Their work is consistent and they're known to stand behind it. Turn times even for volume dealers is up right now. They are busy because they do a good job. This time of year is pretty crazy for most of your industry companies and you can't really bump anyone up because that means someone else gets bumped down.

I get asking the question, but I wouldn't be concerned to send them anything at all, just know it may take time especially during busy season.
4/17/2018 7:30pm
Sounds like I went with the right guys. The stoke is real that I can ride this week.
JM485
4/17/2018 7:35pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
If the quality is good for such a technical service, complaining about a 4 week turnaround time on Vital, after destroying your engine, is NOT warranted...

4-6 weeks is insane, I don't know what planet you're on but that's not normal.

I will say, however, that this time of year is usually really busy, and mine took almost a month that I sent out a couple months ago. I think they really are super busy right now, but it's not normal for it to take that long. In my experience though, the cylinder in question was for a cr500 and was going back to them for the third time in about a year. I was consistently only getting less than an hour of run time before the piston was seizing to the exhaust bridge. I spent a lot of time working with them and trying to come to a solution to the problem, and they even had their in house tuner Tom Morgan take a look at it. They suggested plating the cylinder (500s are a steel bore) and opening the clearance another half a thousandth to get some relief. I was up front with them from the beginning about when I needed the cylinder by to make it to a race, and they were able to get it to me with two day shipping while only charging for the price of ground. They also split the cost of plating the cylinder with me, so even though the work took a while and I had to take the initiative to call them for updates, I would say they treated me well and held up to what they promised. So far as I can tell the cylinder is good now, but I still don't have a lot of time on it.

I think they are probably a little overwhelmed right now and my experience would back up that claim, but if it's as bad as some are saying they are doing a pretty good job of managing their work and getting things out.
plowboy
4/17/2018 7:48pm
Seriously fellas, you can only bitch if they promised a week and then took 4. If you didn't ask and it took 4....not their problem....especially if it was quality work. Never used them but I'd bet they have expedited service for a price.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
4/17/2018 7:57pm
Has anyone had them do a big bore, like a 134cc or 139?
mxbigd17
4/17/2018 8:03pm
burn1986 wrote:
Has anyone had them do a big bore, like a 134cc or 139?
They did 2 of my 4 strokes up, a 250f & a 450f. My second build they did a BB270 kit on my 15 kx250f, Port/polish, stage 2 cams. Bike runs so good, I even went down a tooth on the rear sprocket because it has good torque and I’m 200lbs with riding gear. They will be doing my next engine also...whatever that is in do time.
Motoxdoc
4/17/2018 8:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 8:16pm
JM485 wrote:
4-6 weeks is insane, I don't know what planet you're on but that's not normal. I will say, however, that this time of year is usually...
4-6 weeks is insane, I don't know what planet you're on but that's not normal.

I will say, however, that this time of year is usually really busy, and mine took almost a month that I sent out a couple months ago. I think they really are super busy right now, but it's not normal for it to take that long. In my experience though, the cylinder in question was for a cr500 and was going back to them for the third time in about a year. I was consistently only getting less than an hour of run time before the piston was seizing to the exhaust bridge. I spent a lot of time working with them and trying to come to a solution to the problem, and they even had their in house tuner Tom Morgan take a look at it. They suggested plating the cylinder (500s are a steel bore) and opening the clearance another half a thousandth to get some relief. I was up front with them from the beginning about when I needed the cylinder by to make it to a race, and they were able to get it to me with two day shipping while only charging for the price of ground. They also split the cost of plating the cylinder with me, so even though the work took a while and I had to take the initiative to call them for updates, I would say they treated me well and held up to what they promised. So far as I can tell the cylinder is good now, but I still don't have a lot of time on it.

I think they are probably a little overwhelmed right now and my experience would back up that claim, but if it's as bad as some are saying they are doing a pretty good job of managing their work and getting things out.
LMAO...I just read the 1st and the last sentences of your post....nothing in between. Irony!
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/17/2018 8:38pm
Did you specifically have a core exchange agreement with them before you sent your cylinder in?

JM485
4/17/2018 8:42pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
LMAO...I just read the 1st and the last sentences of your post....nothing in between. Irony!
Ya I'm not feeding the troll, nice try though.
Motoxdoc
4/17/2018 9:10pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
JM485 wrote:
Ya I'm not feeding the troll, nice try though.
"4-6 weeks is insane"..........."they are doing a pretty good job of managing their work and getting things out."

No trolling, just spelling out the irony for you.
racerx317
4/17/2018 9:17pm
They do fantastic work, but I went to Powerseal due to the wait times. Powerseal also does phenomenal work but has better turn around time in my experience. Plus the customer service is superb.
KDXGarage
4/17/2018 9:50pm
In the future, do it old school... Pick up the phone and talk with another human. Ask them how long it will take. Odd concept, I know, but it may work for you in the future, young guy.
mxtech1
4/18/2018 6:37am
This time of year, a lot of folks have tax return money to fix that engine that blew up last year.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/18/2018 6:44am
I used them on my last 125 (134cc) and their work was awesome. At the time I want to say it was 2-3 weeks turn around.
4/18/2018 6:58am
Hi Guys!!!

First and foremost, sorry for the long waits. The struggle is real! At this moment, we have more work in the building than we have ever had in the 20 year history of the company. Quite frankly, we were not prepared for massive influx of work we have had this season. The consequence is longer turn around times. Sorry. :-(

We are running (3) shifts with mandatory weekends for our production staff (almost 80 people) in attempt to keep up. At the moment the limiting factor is our plating capacity (65,000+ cylinders per year). We are expanding that capacity, but as you can imagine, that doesn't happen over night.

Thank you all very much for the business! If you have parts in the building, I apologizes if its taken longer than normal. If there is anything we can do, or if you have any questions, please send us an email at info@millennium-tech.net and we will do our best to get you sorted.

Again.....thank you, thank you, thank you for your business and your patience.
huck
4/18/2018 7:03am
Hi Guys!!! First and foremost, sorry for the long waits. The struggle is real! At this moment, [u]we have more work in the building than we...
Hi Guys!!!

First and foremost, sorry for the long waits. The struggle is real! At this moment, we have more work in the building than we have ever had in the 20 year history of the company. Quite frankly, we were not prepared for massive influx of work we have had this season. The consequence is longer turn around times. Sorry. :-(

We are running (3) shifts with mandatory weekends for our production staff (almost 80 people) in attempt to keep up. At the moment the limiting factor is our plating capacity (65,000+ cylinders per year). We are expanding that capacity, but as you can imagine, that doesn't happen over night.

Thank you all very much for the business! If you have parts in the building, I apologizes if its taken longer than normal. If there is anything we can do, or if you have any questions, please send us an email at info@millennium-tech.net and we will do our best to get you sorted.

Again.....thank you, thank you, thank you for your business and your patience.
Man, that Trump guy sure is MAGA!!!!

Congrats on the booming business!

Post a reply to: Millennium Technologies

The Latest