Mike brown 2005 Crf250r

Related:
Create New Tag

6/16/2021 8:43 PM

Sold the cr250 and was looking for the next project, normally i avoid four strokes but for the price i couldn’t pass this thing up. A ten minute drive down the road and i took this thing home, it does not run but has a lot of compression and a lot of cool stuff on it so i’m hoping its something simple! Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/16/2021 9:47 PM

Very cool!

Lots of interesting history behind that bike and Mike's year in '05.

He was on his way to the title and a spot on Team USA before things went sideways and some drama ensued.

|

6/16/2021 10:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/16/2021 10:41 PM

Photo
Photo

Swan Pro Challenge 2005.

|

youtube.com/iridea250fyamaha

6/16/2021 11:45 PM

Is this bike from before or after the horsepower got taken away?

|

6/16/2021 11:51 PM

Thinking back on that season, its pretty damn impressive what brownie was able to accomplish on a privateer effort! I think the 2021 equivalent would be troll train winning overalls and leading the points halfway thru the outdoor series

|

6/17/2021 2:55 AM

Adam43 wrote:

Very cool!

He was on his way to the title and a spot ...more

I was only 5 when this was going on, what exactly happened?

|

6/17/2021 5:26 AM

My favorite era of moto. Dude won Budds on that bike

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

6/17/2021 5:57 AM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

My favorite era of moto. Dude won Budds on that bike

Same. The 2003 season might be my favorite of all time

|

6/17/2021 6:51 AM

Was this the year he was not picked to go to the MXDN even though he was the points leader?

|

6/17/2021 7:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/17/2021 7:06 AM

Adam43 wrote:

Very cool!

zac_k3 wrote:

Procircuit was building his bikes, he won Some Motos and races at the starting of the year and leading the points but then started to really fall off the pace after half way through the season and blamed procircuit and Mitch not wanting to give him a fast motor anymore. Said they didn’t want him beating their guys .

|

6/17/2021 7:06 AM

Adam43 wrote:

Very cool!

zac_k3 wrote:

His engines started mysteriously blowing up after he was consistently beating the PC factory guys.

|

6/17/2021 7:07 AM

Brad460 wrote:

Was this the year he was not picked to go to the MXDN even though he was the points leader?

Yes

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

6/17/2021 7:10 AM

He started running a Tokyo mods engine after and that didn’t help him much if I remember

|

6/17/2021 7:10 AM

SCORE!!

|

6/17/2021 8:28 AM

Adam43 wrote:

Very cool!

zac_k3 wrote:

So Brownie was already in his mid-thirties, on a full privateer effort backed by his buddy's dealership.

He was buying customer engines from Pro Circuit. Most of the field was in those early years of 250Fs.

Brown won the race at Budds and doesn't finish off the podium the first four rounds. He gets named to Team USA for Ernee that fall.

After Red Bud his results then fall off a cliff. The PC bikes of Tedesco and Langston become the class of the field and they take off.

Brown claims his engines have become weak and uncompetitive, that PC started giving him second tier stuff after beating their guys. He later switches builders and there is bad blood for years. PC says he is full of shit.

Tedesco wins the title, and Brown is unceremoniously stripped of his only chance to ride for Team USA (Payton is involved here as well).

What's the truth? Did Brown just choke? Does the fact that most teams ended up pursuing their own engine development lend validity to Brown's claims? Or, did PC simply redouble their efforts for their own team which was enough to put them over the top?

We might never know.

|

6/17/2021 8:39 AM

So, is this kids bike gonna be slow and blow up?

|

6/17/2021 9:12 AM

Best thing about this thread is the Pro Circuit ad at the bottom. laughing laughing laughing

Photo

|

Instagram: @motoxeno

Premium Off-Road Products: www.jcrspeedshop.com

6/17/2021 10:12 AM

Adam43 wrote:

Very cool!

zac_k3 wrote:

Adam43 wrote:

So Brownie was already in his mid-thirties, on a full privateer effort backed by his buddy's dealership.

He was buying ...more

RC had a little to do with him being clipped also. Didn’t want a repeat of 2003

|

6/17/2021 10:14 AM

Also why would Mitch intentionally sell a shitty product ? That’s just bad marketing

|

6/17/2021 10:52 AM

Mike Brown has been a fantastic rider & is very cunning & savvy, I doubt we will ever know, he has shafted a few over the years himself

|

6/17/2021 11:03 AM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Also why would Mitch intentionally sell a shitty product ? That’s just bad marketing

Because Kawasaki paid him a lot more money to win races than Mike Brown. That's why they eventually stopped building Troy Lee's bikes.

|

6/17/2021 11:04 AM

Very interesting stuff. Jims, the shop that supported mike is my local shop and the owner is like family. When i was younger me and my brother would always run around the dealership and pick out our favorite bikes and they was two or three number three bikes at the time and they always caught our eye because of the fancy bling on them. Apparently the guy that i got the bike off of bought it and shortly after the thing blew up so they rebuilt it for him and didn’t charge him. I’ve got the bike to the frame but have yet to open the motor besides pulling the valve cover and it does have a pro circuit cam so i am curious what else it’s got going on because the thing has some serious compression. It’s not currently running but i plan to put it back in time then reassemble to see where the bike is at that point before tearing the engine apart.

|

6/17/2021 11:33 AM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

DunnySeat wrote:

Because Kawasaki paid him a lot more money to win races than Mike Brown. That's why they eventually stopped building Troy ...more

And the gecio Honda’s they said same thing happen to them with their procircuit motors so as they switch to in-house engine building results really picked up

|

6/17/2021 12:43 PM

zac_k3 wrote:

Great, thank you for pointing out how old I am! 🤣🤣 Lol

|

6/17/2021 1:09 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

DunnySeat wrote:

Because Kawasaki paid him a lot more money to win races than Mike Brown. That's why they eventually stopped building Troy ...more

So you really think Mitch Payton would sabotage a customer...incredible take, 10/10

|

6/17/2021 1:20 PM

Also didn’t Gieco use PC when Trey won the title in 2010? Against Pourcel?

|

6/17/2021 1:40 PM

McGinnis_339 wrote:

Thinking back on that season, its pretty damn impressive what brownie was able to accomplish on a privateer effort! I think ...more

Not even comparable Brownie was pitting out of a box van doing it on his dime. Troll Trail ain’t putting no dimes in there

|

6/17/2021 2:00 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

DunnySeat wrote:

Johnny Ringo wrote:

So you really think Mitch Payton would sabotage a customer...incredible take, 10/10

I'm not saying he would or did, just saying there is plenty of motive there though.

|

6/17/2021 7:24 PM

So i have the bike to the frame and i’d like to give it a good cleaning but really don’t wanna lose the red pro sticker. Anyone ever had one remade and if so who was able to do it?

|

6/17/2021 7:30 PM

I was at the Hangtown race in '05, and can say Mike endured a bit of a baptism by fire at that event. The wheels didn't fall off, but other stuff did as some of the photos below will demonstrate. I happened to have my Brownie camera with me (see what I did there?), and took a few pix of both the good and the bad day he had. Stickers, a seat and side panels suggest Mike might have been selling parts out on the track to finance the new privateer gig...

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|