Mike Healey on Whiskey Throttle Show

G-man
12/14/2020 6:13pm
Good interview and yes Mike was a badass on a bike with a lot of speed to be a Top conteder in Europe.

The only thing I found rather odd was when they asked him if he had any regrets and what would he change different.

Mike paused for awhile and said he did not train hard enough.
Yes that might have won him some Championships but after all he had been through one would think he might have regretted some other choices--but he did not and that is what made him who he is/was....

What a bummer to have missed out on some Championships by a few points--things could have been so different for him--or maybe not.

Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
12/14/2020 6:17pm
Mike had me at he was buddies with Mike Ness. F'ng cool!
hamncheeze
12/14/2020 8:08pm
hamncheeze wrote:
I just listened to this episode on the weekend. For everyone taking shots at him and his version of history, don't forget he was pretty damn...
I just listened to this episode on the weekend. For everyone taking shots at him and his version of history, don't forget he was pretty damn open about his issues with drugs, crime and jail. Dude has lived more in his time than most of us....
haydos25 wrote:
If i dont do drugs, commit crimes and go to jail then im just not living life to the fullest? Interesting take. Healey was a badass...
If i dont do drugs, commit crimes and go to jail then im just not living life to the fullest? Interesting take.

Healey was a badass on a bike, not denying that part. As far as the rest of his life choices, well he's just another human in that regard.
Congratulations on twisting my words to fit your narrative.

My point is people on here are calling him out for selective memory of racing events and incidents, but let's consider the whole picture. He has had some struggles, he's turned a corner and is living a much better life now, and if he doesn't remember the exact story why should anyone here bag on him.

Fucking Vital, just full of the most honest, perfect human beings to have ever graced the planet.
Sierra Ranger
12/14/2020 8:12pm
G-man wrote:
Good interview and yes Mike was a badass on a bike with a lot of speed to be a Top conteder in Europe. The only thing...
Good interview and yes Mike was a badass on a bike with a lot of speed to be a Top conteder in Europe.

The only thing I found rather odd was when they asked him if he had any regrets and what would he change different.

Yes that might have won him some Championships but after all he had been through one would think he might have regretted some other choices--but he did not and that is what made him who he is/was....

What a bummer to have missed out on some Championships by a few points--things could have been so different for him--or maybe not.

MX is a tough game to say the least. So sometimes I think the guys that partied their way through it saw it as the only way to get through it (all that time on the road, sponsorship uncertainties and other difficulties of the life of a pro rider). In other words, not everybody can be Jeff Stanton or Jeff Ward and be an animal trainer and win at a robotic pace. Lechien was the same way- Healey probably would still do it his way given the chance to do it all over again.

The Shop

haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
12/14/2020 8:20pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2020 8:29pm
hamncheeze wrote:
I just listened to this episode on the weekend. For everyone taking shots at him and his version of history, don't forget he was pretty damn...
I just listened to this episode on the weekend. For everyone taking shots at him and his version of history, don't forget he was pretty damn open about his issues with drugs, crime and jail. Dude has lived more in his time than most of us....
haydos25 wrote:
If i dont do drugs, commit crimes and go to jail then im just not living life to the fullest? Interesting take. Healey was a badass...
If i dont do drugs, commit crimes and go to jail then im just not living life to the fullest? Interesting take.

Healey was a badass on a bike, not denying that part. As far as the rest of his life choices, well he's just another human in that regard.
hamncheeze wrote:
Congratulations on twisting my words to fit your narrative. My point is people on here are calling him out for selective memory of racing events and...
Congratulations on twisting my words to fit your narrative.

My point is people on here are calling him out for selective memory of racing events and incidents, but let's consider the whole picture. He has had some struggles, he's turned a corner and is living a much better life now, and if he doesn't remember the exact story why should anyone here bag on him.

Fucking Vital, just full of the most honest, perfect human beings to have ever graced the planet.
So because he cant remember the story should we all just pretend that the way he remembers it is true? Or is there a rebuttal? Because he has obviously stretched the truth or misremembered a couple of things.

Again, I'm glad hes turned a corner and is living a better life now. I just took issue with your comment that because he had done drugs, commited crimes and went to jail that he had lived more life than most of us. He was a bad ass on a bike at one small point in time. These days he's just a normal dude with some cool and and rather tall tales. Just like the rest of us.
hamncheeze
12/14/2020 8:28pm
haydos25 wrote:
So because he cant remember the story should we all just pretend that the way he remembers it is true? Or is there a rebuttal? Because...
So because he cant remember the story should we all just pretend that the way he remembers it is true? Or is there a rebuttal? Because he has obviously stretched the truth or misremembered a couple of things.

Again, I'm glad hes turned a corner and is living a better life now. I just took issue with your comment that because he had done drugs, commited crimes and went to jail that he had lived more life than most of us. He was a bad ass on a bike at one small point in time. These days he's just a normal dude with some cool and and rather tall tales. Just like the rest of us.
It's called empathy. Look it up.
Blgdaddy
12/14/2020 8:34pm
haydos25 wrote:
So because he cant remember the story should we all just pretend that the way he remembers it is true? Or is there a rebuttal? Because...

hamncheeze wrote:
It's called empathy. Look it up.
Hey, just wanted to point out you misspelled "stupidity". You're welcome! Wink
XC706
Fantasy
668th
12/14/2020 8:42pm
That was a good one Ping. Thanks for asking the dark/tough questions. I followed Mike's career throughout europe and the US. Great to see Mike is on a good path in life.
G-man
12/14/2020 10:13pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2020 10:24pm
G-man wrote:
Good interview and yes Mike was a badass on a bike with a lot of speed to be a Top conteder in Europe. The only thing...

MX is a tough game to say the least. So sometimes I think the guys that partied their way through it saw it as the only...
MX is a tough game to say the least. So sometimes I think the guys that partied their way through it saw it as the only way to get through it (all that time on the road, sponsorship uncertainties and other difficulties of the life of a pro rider). In other words, not everybody can be Jeff Stanton or Jeff Ward and be an animal trainer and win at a robotic pace. Lechien was the same way- Healey probably would still do it his way given the chance to do it all over again.
Good point and Mike did say "he wished he had trained harder".

That was his only regret.
I thought it would be other things but I'm not Mike.

One thing for sure is--he had a lot of Natural Talent to go that FAST against the World's best.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
12/16/2020 7:35am
I listened to my first Whiskey Throttle podcast yesterday while working on a home remodel because I wanted to hear from Mike Healey. I must say Ping and Langston put Pulp to shame. I’ve tried Pulp a half dozen times and the juvenile format is hard to take. It’s like watching a Pro National compared to the 250 D class.

In regards to Healey I loved hearing his GP stories. Was also interesting on what his dad was like, sounded pretty brutal and I hope some mini dads out there took notes.

I’m saddened to hear some of the stories were embellished but you do need to understand those races were many years ago. After thousands of motos I’m sure nobody can remember them all. Anyway I thought the interview was great. After I got home I went on Instagram to look him up and see about riding the Harley up to go get a haircut sometime. It would be a thrill to talk moto with him. To me his biggest accomplishment is that he seems to be clean now and I’m sure everyone knows that turning his life around if much more important than anything he accomplished in moto
Rad76
12/16/2020 8:29am
His memories are off on a lot of stuff, but i don't really care. I witnessed Mike throwing huge whips on a big table top that was not meant to be. Before he showed up at this Saint Quentin international race in the north of France, there was a uphill, a straight and then a steep downhill he converted in a BIG tabletop. That was just crazy enough, but seeing him going flat every lap was just awesome for the 12 or 13 years old i was. I think Bobby Moore launched it for the race also, while all the euros were just powerless. He also raced at the very famous Gaillefontaine track near my house for a charity event for a downed French rider, Henri-Michel Roger. Great memories !
Dutch348
12/20/2020 2:49am
Finally got around to watching, awesome show. Unreal how lame Suzuki was for firing him because of a red mohawk. Imagine if he would’ve stayed in America and battled Bradshaw and all those guys!
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
12/20/2020 9:42am
Dutch348 wrote:
Finally got around to watching, awesome show. Unreal how lame Suzuki was for firing him because of a red mohawk. Imagine if he would’ve stayed in...
Finally got around to watching, awesome show. Unreal how lame Suzuki was for firing him because of a red mohawk. Imagine if he would’ve stayed in America and battled Bradshaw and all those guys!
You’re hearing one side of the story, there was a lot more than red hair and a mohawk.

Post a reply to: Mike Healey on Whiskey Throttle Show

The Latest