Mike Genova on Pulp Mx

B-EVANS
7/23/2013 9:43am
B-EVANS wrote:
Looks like you guys can get the separation(albeit forced) of Mike from Tony ya'll been harping on for years, if Mike races more this year. I...
Looks like you guys can get the separation(albeit forced) of Mike from Tony ya'll been harping on for years, if Mike races more this year.

I want to see MCR and Mike at Millville without Tony and Jeff. Lets see what Mike can do moving past this in his career. Put me in for $100 if ya'll start a pool to pay the fine.
Grieby54 wrote:
Put me in for jack shit. The millionaire doesn't need a penny from me to pay a fine for hiring dumbasses.
Sorry to step on anybody's class warfare nerveBlink . Ask any business owner, its nearly impossible to not hire a dumbass now days. Help pay if you think Mike got screwed on loss of points AND a fine, don't if you don't.
rbm33
Fantasy
1901st
7/23/2013 9:47am
Wow, Genova is clueless.

He dismisses Tony's actions as just taking up for his kid???

can you imagine what Tony A would do if someone had been shining a laser in the eyes of his son??
ns503
7/23/2013 9:56am
rbm33 wrote:
Wow, Genova is clueless. He dismisses Tony's actions as just taking up for his kid??? can you imagine what Tony A would do if someone had...
Wow, Genova is clueless.

He dismisses Tony's actions as just taking up for his kid???

can you imagine what Tony A would do if someone had been shining a laser in the eyes of his son??
I don't think Genova is clueless on this.

I think that is exactly what Tonys actions are coming from. To the extreme.

What do you attribute Tonys actions to?
peelout
7/23/2013 10:01am
agn5009 wrote:
Grasping at straws? Really? I ask a simple, very relevant question about a moto incident and now I'm grasping at straws. Man, it must feel good...
Grasping at straws? Really? I ask a simple, very relevant question about a moto incident and now I'm grasping at straws. Man, it must feel good to bash people online for asking a question. "Grasping at straws" typically means to be dependent upon something that is useless to the discussion so I ask you, how is this useless to this discussion? This is a major event which happened in our sport over the weekend and I would say trying to figure out the specifics in our discussions ain't exactly "useless."

Anyways, back to the discussion. I personally don't see how MA800's "crew" should affect his punishment. JA801 is a grown adult. He supposedly made the decision on his own. If I'm at a sporting event and go off to buy a brew and come back to a buddy of mine getting into a fight with another person over something that I had no part of I wouldn't be held responsible for him fighting and be arrested for assault. Why should this be any different? You can't control peoples stupidity. I feel like MA800 is really being dealt with a severe punishment. Also, I've read the report and it says no where in there that the rider has to be in the same class. It does, however, say they are held accountable for the crew. Last I checked, TA is a part of Frieses "crew" since he is the team manager.

Like I said, I don't think Friese should be held accountable for any of this and punished in any way shape or form. I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning behind coming down on MA800 so harshly.
regardless of whether you agree with Mike getting the punishment or not, MIKE ALESSI is responsible for his crew at his race. Vince Friese is not affected because Jeff Alessi wasn't on the starting line (in MCR gear, headset, and credentials) using a laser pointer on Vince Friese's opponents. i agree that Mike doesn't have the ability to stop his idiot brother, but he's still responsible for him being there. years ago, our buddy got disqualified from a local race because his dad was riding the race bike up and down the pits, even though everyone was warned that pit riding was not allowed and the rider would be disqualified. it's in the rules.

i'm not bashing you at all, i understand why you don't agree with it. but at the end of the day, Mike is responsible for the people in HIS crew during HIS race.

ps... Jeff Alessi came across as a little punk. whether he meant anything ill against the riders or not, it was a fucking idiot move and his crybaby antics after the issue is just another piece of the fucked up puzzle that he created. well done Jeff, well done. if you don't apologize for your actions, i at least hope you have the respect for your brother who works his ass off to compete at the level that he does, to apologize to him. he's the one that is seriously fucked over your mistake.

The Shop

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
7/23/2013 10:10am
I agree with everything you said but I don't think he is savvy enough to have predicted the level absurdity it could go to, and like...
I agree with everything you said but I don't think he is savvy enough to have predicted the level absurdity it could go to, and like the others of ilk he will probably go back to devoting his energies to his regular pursuits.
It wouldn't surprise me if he did, but he doesn't have to if he wants to run a team that does well in MX and SX. I'm not sure the issue is as much how savvy he is as the problem some people have when they are used to running things and then they play in a system where they are subject to rules.

It'll be shame if he leaves, but the principal sponsors are his own moto and nonmoto businesses, right?
albacore26
7/23/2013 10:13am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2013 10:23am
Crash82 wrote:
Pretty funny ya this big ole mess, Tony went off on someone, so what? The mess is DC and the rabid fans wanting Tony's head for...
Pretty funny ya this big ole mess, Tony went off on someone, so what? The mess is DC and the rabid fans wanting Tony's head for nothing.
Your promise of staying off Vital for a week didn't even last 8hrs, please hold strong and even throw out your keyboard if need be.
Your fanatical and blind love for this family is absurd. Step back and look at the facts and read the rule book, these rules were there before yesterday and not changed for this family. In the real world Tony would be out on his ass forever for representing a company in this manner. Picture a general contractor going through this needless bulshit with a subcontractor laying his hands on another sub or someone on site.What good would come from keeping him on site, more lawsuits? I can't wait to see your comments on Genova when Tony is told to pack his shit and hit the bricks.
7/23/2013 10:16am
To me, Genova has always had the attitude that he gets some sort of special privileges because he brings a hauler to the races.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
7/23/2013 10:16am
ns503 wrote:
I don't think Genova is clueless on this. I think that is exactly what Tonys actions are coming from. To the extreme. What do you attribute...

Supporting your kid sometimes means making them accountable for their actions.

I screwed up once when I was 16 in a way that affected someone, unintentionally but I should have known better, and my pop not only dealt with it internally in the family but then walked me over to the other folks' home and had me apologize and make things right.
Xeno
7/23/2013 10:24am
Supporting your kid sometimes means making them accountable for their actions. I screwed up once when I was 16 in a way that affected someone, unintentionally...

I screwed up once when I was 16 in a way that affected someone, unintentionally but I should have known better, and my pop not only dealt with it internally in the family but then walked me over to the other folks' home and had me apologize and make things right.
Sadly, the only way Tony A would do what your pops did is if it advanced his own personal agenda.
ns503
7/23/2013 10:26am
ns503 wrote:
I don't think Genova is clueless on this. I think that is exactly what Tonys actions are coming from. To the extreme. What do you attribute...

Supporting your kid sometimes means making them accountable for their actions. I screwed up once when I was 16 in a way that affected someone, unintentionally...

Absolutely.

In his mind he was supporting - he just picked the wrong way to support him.

The Very wrong way.

Having said that, I don't think anyone could have predicted at the outset where this would end up. Absolutely crazy.
albacore26
7/23/2013 10:37am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2013 10:55am
I don't care much for Genova and his attitude but at some point he's going to have to truly look at the picture of Jeff and the lit laser in his hand and say 'what the fuck am I doing with these fools'. If not good fucking riddance for standing behind these idiots who needlessly call the cops and promise to bring the whole sport down.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
7/23/2013 10:39am
88sdad wrote:
Fuck Genova for fucking Mike
Well if you were a business owner and this negative light is being shined on you and your business from an entity (MCR)that is taking money and not making money, what would you do? Love him or hate him, Genova put a lot of money and time into a team that was basically created for the Alessis and to be perfectly honest, I would probably do the same thing. You can't blame Genova for screwing Mike, but you can blame Jeff and Tony.
rbm33
Fantasy
1901st
7/23/2013 10:54am
ns503 wrote:

same here. Jesus i dont even want to think what my dad would have done to me if ihad done something that stupid. not saying that he wouldnt take up for me if i was in the right but in that situation there is no way he would have acted in the manner that tony did.

And to top all that off Genova basically condones Tonys actions because he was taking up for his kid. well, if thats the case Mathes should have had his dad there taking up for him, then tonys dad could have rolled in and took up for him, then mathesis dads dad would have takebn up for him.......... so where does it stop??ill tell you where it stops, it stops when you are an adult and with jeff being 24 or 24 it should have stopped seveal years ago.
Choppy
7/23/2013 10:59am
Crash82 wrote:
. Matthes wanted a confrontation. He got a bunch of publicity just like he wanted. Tony makes a great point, why should Coombs be allowed to...
. Matthes wanted a confrontation. He got a bunch of publicity just like he wanted. Tony makes a great point, why should Coombs be allowed to jump folks? Tony should hang up, fuck Matthes.
motosmith wrote:
Thank God I'm not the only one that thinks Matthes is the original Douche Bag in all of this. Well, maybe Jeff is the original DB...
Thank God I'm not the only one that thinks Matthes is the original Douche Bag in all of this. Well, maybe Jeff is the original DB but Matthes is giving him a run for his money. Complete Famewhore trying to make a name for himself at the expense of others.

Did he really say "tell Mike to find another goggle sponsor"? Why, because someone called him a name?
Why is he a douche? for reporting what actually happened?
motosmith
7/23/2013 11:06am
Lets get this straight.... People here accuse Matthes of being a puss for not reporting every piece of juicy gossip he hears. When he reports ssomething...
Lets get this straight....

People here accuse Matthes of being a puss for not reporting every piece of juicy gossip he hears.

When he reports ssomething that happened that was pretty serious, he's a "famewhore". Makes sense. The jealousy shown here in regards to some of the people who work in the sport is amazing.
Whoa , hold on. First of all I’m not jealous of Matthes. Trust me.

Ok, so here’s how I see it. Matthes got pissed off because Jeff told him he was going to put an elbow through his face. Matthes decided to teach Jeff a lesson and yanked Mike’s goggle sponsorship. Classic pissing contest and Matthes wins. Ok, fine.

However, Matthes says he pulled the sponsorship because he’s afraid of bodily harm and doesn’t want to be in an unsafe environment. Well, I think we both know that is bullshit.

Matthes is making himself look like a bigger douche than Jeff Alessi and that's pretty tough to do.
Choppy
7/23/2013 11:07am
I will be very surprised if Motoconcepts does come back. When high level business people like Genova invest their money and talent into MX they soon...
I will be very surprised if Motoconcepts does come back. When high level business people like Genova invest their money and talent into MX they soon realize how dysfunctional of an industry it really is. Pro Motocross has huge potential from a business standpoint but the "lunatics are running the asylum" (DC and a few others excluded) and real business guys get tired of dealing with the immaturity of it all. Though Tony Alessi is the most immature lunatic in the industry he does have a valid point in that MX sports is turning a blind eye to obvious use of PED's while making a huge deal of this incident.
What is your ironclad proof of "obvious use" there Einstein?
Logic
What riders winning didn't ride insanely well as amateurs? Did these kids dope when they were 8 to 10 years old on 60's because those are the kids winning today?
flarider
7/23/2013 11:10am
88sdad wrote:
Mr. Ted wrote:
Well if you were a business owner and this negative light is being shined on you and your business from an entity (MCR)that is taking money...
Well if you were a business owner and this negative light is being shined on you and your business from an entity (MCR)that is taking money and not making money, what would you do? Love him or hate him, Genova put a lot of money and time into a team that was basically created for the Alessis and to be perfectly honest, I would probably do the same thing. You can't blame Genova for screwing Mike, but you can blame Jeff and Tony.
I tend to disagree.
Genova knew the potential of some issue happening when he hired them, they have a history.

I think the bigger issue here in Genova's refusal to pay the fine or continue is not necessarily, Mike, but the fate of all those who are part of that team, including sponsors.

Teams make commitments, not just to riders, but to mechanics, drivers, support staff, sponsors and more and to just throw up your hands and walk away because you're pissed is wrong on many levels and hurts many people.

I'm not trying to shit on Mike Genova or anyone, I just hope he sees the bigger picture and reconsiders.

These people of his team are now in a state of limbo, because their credentials are suspended until the fine is paid. So, not only are these people out of work, but they're now PREVENTED from working.

It's a selfish decision

Wait until sponsors want money back and lawsuits get filed, the $10K and four races would seem much easier to do
Choppy
7/23/2013 11:10am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2013 11:13am
Crash82 wrote:
Pretty funny ya this big ole mess, Tony went off on someone, so what? The mess is DC and the rabid fans wanting Tony's head for...
Pretty funny ya this big ole mess, Tony went off on someone, so what? The mess is DC and the rabid fans wanting Tony's head for nothing.
Imagine if an NFL player/team personnel yelled at Roger Goodell the way Tony yelled at DC? What do you think would've happened?
peelout
7/23/2013 11:13am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2013 11:15am
Lets get this straight.... People here accuse Matthes of being a puss for not reporting every piece of juicy gossip he hears. When he reports ssomething...

People here accuse Matthes of being a puss for not reporting every piece of juicy gossip he hears.

When he reports ssomething that happened that was pretty serious, he's a "famewhore". Makes sense. The jealousy shown here in regards to some of the people who work in the sport is amazing.
motosmith wrote:
Whoa , hold on. First of all I’m not jealous of Matthes. Trust me. Ok, so here’s how I see it. Matthes got pissed off because...

Ok, so here’s how I see it. Matthes got pissed off because Jeff told him he was going to put an elbow through his face. Matthes decided to teach Jeff a lesson and yanked Mike’s goggle sponsorship. Classic pissing contest and Matthes wins. Ok, fine.

However, Matthes says he pulled the sponsorship because he’s afraid of bodily harm and doesn’t want to be in an unsafe environment. Well, I think we both know that is bullshit.

Matthes is making himself look like a bigger douche than Jeff Alessi and that's pretty tough to do.
and you're looking like the biggest douche of them all if you continue to be as clueless as you're acting.

IF Matthes pulled the sponsorship (which this is news to me), then why could you blame him? do you think he and Mike are going to be friendly towards each other and carry on in a professional manner after this whole ordeal? serious question. i think Matthes could, but there would still be some serious sour feelings after this.

further, why is Matthes a douche for reporting WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED? pull your head out, bro
7/23/2013 11:15am
B-EVANS wrote:
Looks like you guys can get the separation(albeit forced) of Mike from Tony ya'll been harping on for years, if Mike races more this year. I...
Looks like you guys can get the separation(albeit forced) of Mike from Tony ya'll been harping on for years, if Mike races more this year.

I want to see MCR and Mike at Millville without Tony and Jeff. Lets see what Mike can do moving past this in his career. Put me in for $100 if ya'll start a pool to pay the fine.
You sir obviously have too much money laying around... this is the dumbest statement I've heard all day.
englishman
7/23/2013 11:16am
GuyB wrote:
I'm actually pretty surprised to hear this, and here's why. I visited Mike's companies (Leisure Concepts and MotoConcepts last week, and it's obvious the he likes...
I'm actually pretty surprised to hear this, and here's why. I visited Mike's companies (Leisure Concepts and MotoConcepts last week, and it's obvious the he likes to do things the right way. Everything's tidy, well-polished, etc. the current building that they're in was purpose-built for the kind of manufacturing they do, so it's very efficient.

I get that Mike likes to do things his own way. Most entrepeneurs that I've worked for (including Malcolm Smith, Bob Osborn from BMX Action magazine, and Linn Kastan from Redline Engineering, Mike Sinyaed at Specialized Bicycle, or my current boss, Brad McDonald) have been stubborn and tenacious. That's part of why they became successful in the first place. But I never got the impression from any of them that they'd let their worst employee derail any of their efforts.

Here's hoping cooler heads prevail.
The difference being he isn't making any money running a team, yes maybe a bit of exposure for the Hot tub business and his motocross bits & bobs but nothing that makes it worth dealing with all this nonsense.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
7/23/2013 11:17am
88sdad wrote:
Mr. Ted wrote:
Well if you were a business owner and this negative light is being shined on you and your business from an entity (MCR)that is taking money...
flarider wrote:
I tend to disagree. Genova knew the potential of some issue happening when he hired them, they have a history. I think the bigger issue here...
I tend to disagree.
Genova knew the potential of some issue happening when he hired them, they have a history.

I think the bigger issue here in Genova's refusal to pay the fine or continue is not necessarily, Mike, but the fate of all those who are part of that team, including sponsors.

Teams make commitments, not just to riders, but to mechanics, drivers, support staff, sponsors and more and to just throw up your hands and walk away because you're pissed is wrong on many levels and hurts many people.

I'm not trying to shit on Mike Genova or anyone, I just hope he sees the bigger picture and reconsiders.

These people of his team are now in a state of limbo, because their credentials are suspended until the fine is paid. So, not only are these people out of work, but they're now PREVENTED from working.

It's a selfish decision

Wait until sponsors want money back and lawsuits get filed, the $10K and four races would seem much easier to do
That's fair. I didn't realize that all employees credentials were suspended until the fine was paid. That truly sucks for all of the support staff that work the races. I understand fining the team and the team wanting to terminate the involved employees and even the decision to call it quits. But I don't agree with all of those other folks who were just going to work being prevented from finding other gainful employment. If Genova is taking his ball and going home, that's his choice, but the fine should be paid if for no other reason than the staff that had nothing to do with the situation.
Grieby54
7/23/2013 11:18am
motosmith wrote:
Whoa , hold on. First of all I’m not jealous of Matthes. Trust me. Ok, so here’s how I see it. Matthes got pissed off because...

You're one of maybe 5 dipshits on this board that think that. Congratulations...

I'm sure you'd love working in a hostile environment, too. If the people I worked with threatened me with bodily harm (whether I was concerned with a follow through or not), I would not want to work with them either.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
7/23/2013 11:23am
motosmith wrote:

Grieby54 wrote:
You're one of maybe 5 dipshits on this board that think that. Congratulations... I'm sure you'd love working in a hostile environment, too. If the people...
You're one of maybe 5 dipshits on this board that think that. Congratulations...

I'm sure you'd love working in a hostile environment, too. If the people I worked with threatened me with bodily harm (whether I was concerned with a follow through or not), I would not want to work with them either.
No, motosmith would take the high road and continue the sponsorship.
motosmith
7/23/2013 11:27am

motosmith wrote:

peelout wrote:
and you're looking like the biggest douche of them all if you continue to be as clueless as you're acting. IF Matthes pulled the sponsorship (which...
and you're looking like the biggest douche of them all if you continue to be as clueless as you're acting.

IF Matthes pulled the sponsorship (which this is news to me), then why could you blame him? do you think he and Mike are going to be friendly towards each other and carry on in a professional manner after this whole ordeal? serious question. i think Matthes could, but there would still be some serious sour feelings after this.

further, why is Matthes a douche for reporting WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED? pull your head out, bro
Your getting my douches mixed up bro.

I heard that Matthes pulled Mikes goggle sponsorship because he was afraid of bodily harm from the MCR team. I watched the vid and he didn't seem too afraid to me.
motosmith
7/23/2013 11:31am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2013 4:57am
motosmith wrote:

Grieby54 wrote:
You're one of maybe 5 dipshits on this board that think that. Congratulations... I'm sure you'd love working in a hostile environment, too. If the people...

He's not pulling the sponsorship because he's afraid of them. Jeff pissed him off plain and simple.
flarider
7/23/2013 11:35am
If someone I sponsor, or their team, or one of their "posse," treated me like shit, talked to me like shit and threatened to attack me, you can bet your ass the sponsorship would be terminated on the spot.

I don't have to help you, I choose to.

and I can choose not to as well...
Grieby54
7/23/2013 11:36am
motosmith wrote:
He's not pulling the sponsorship because he's afraid of them. Jeff pissed him off plain and simple.
Will you highlight in my post where I said he was afraid of them? I'll wait here...

Once you figure out how to read, go ahead and try to reply to my post again. Here's a hint: I said he doesn't want to work in a hostile environment. You really think that if your co-worker or employee or customer threatened you in any way, shape, or form you'd want to continue to work with them?

Damn you're stupid...
88sdad
7/23/2013 11:39am
88sdad wrote:
Mr. Ted wrote:
flarider wrote:
I tend to disagree. Genova knew the potential of some issue happening when he hired them, they have a history. I think the bigger issue here...
I tend to disagree.

It's a selfish decision

After I typed that, I wondered if it could be something else and I jumped the gun.... Maybe Genova consulted with Mike and Mike said he wouldn't race without his Dad ?
flarider
7/23/2013 11:44am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2013 11:45am
Teams get fill in riders every day

Let Peick do it

Then, MC fulfills their commitments and at year's end can decide to do whatever.

Post a reply to: Mike Genova on Pulp Mx

The Latest