Mike Genova on Pulp Mx

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
7/22/2013 11:22pm
agn5009 wrote:
So can anyone explain why Friese wasn't fined? I read the rules and MA800 was fined because he is a part of the team and is...
So can anyone explain why Friese wasn't fined? I read the rules and MA800 was fined because he is a part of the team and is responsible for his crews actions (which is a load of BS) well last time I checked Friese was there racing for that team and representing that team, so why wasn't he fined? I don't think neither he nor MA800 should have been fined, I'm just curious to hear the explanation.
Friese is racing 250s, right? The incident happened in Mike's race.
mxadam579
7/22/2013 11:44pm
rumor has it we will see ma800 under twotwo @ millville man i hope this is true
kyle450rider
7/22/2013 11:46pm
mxadam579 wrote:
You know what if that were true that would be awesome. He would be back on honda's and have a senior rider or mentor to guide him on. I'd be pumped to see him on the twotwo team and I'm not a chad reed fan. LOL
mx757
7/22/2013 11:46pm
mxadam579 wrote:
Not sure how he would do that, since his credentials have been pulled until the fines are paid.

The Shop

bd
7/22/2013 11:56pm
I'll give Tony the benefit of the doubt (about 2 inches) because, if nothing else, it is obvious he loves his kids and wants to protect...
I'll give Tony the benefit of the doubt (about 2 inches) because, if nothing else, it is obvious he loves his kids and wants to protect them.

Been there, done that. To a fault. You can, literally, protect your kids to death.

The best parenting advice I have ever heard (after we screwed it up) is to practice 'Benign neglect.'. Let them fail. AND work their way back from failure. Tony seems to be having trouble with that. But it truly works.

LSS: His heart is in the right place, but it's pushing him to the wrong place.

I hope it works out for all of them.
Well said.
toroP
7/23/2013 12:01am
mxadam579 wrote:
Is this a rumor you heard or one you're starting? Wink
7/23/2013 12:09am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2013 12:14am
Choppy wrote:
Tony is taking down MXsports in two years and they're running a drug ring.... did I hear that right?
Let me translate for you:
1. MX Sports knows rider use of PEDs is going on, and does not want to address it.
2. The AMA / MX Sports promotion agreement expires in two years...

Isn't it amazing how someone can take some pretty reasonable statements...and come off like a complete nut job...

My favorite part of the show tonight was DV. He cut right to the point with Tony...and Tony crumbled...and went into freak mode. DV called Tony out on how he responded (like a child...when he is a grown man). Tony then got madder and madder...finally culminating in the drug ring / MX Sports is going down statement...

Matthes offered good advice to Tony (just fall on the sword)...but Tony literally could not understand what Matthes meant....
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/23/2013 12:12am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2013 12:15am
I'm actually pretty surprised to hear this, and here's why. I visited Mike's companies (Leisure Concepts and MotoConcepts last week, and it's obvious the he likes to do things the right way. Everything's tidy, well-polished, etc. the current building that they're in was purpose-built for the kind of manufacturing they do, so it's very efficient.

I get that Mike likes to do things his own way. Most entrepeneurs that I've worked for (including Malcolm Smith, Bob Osborn from BMX Action magazine, and Linn Kastan from Redline Engineering, Mike Sinyaed at Specialized Bicycle, or my current boss, Brad McDonald) have been stubborn and tenacious. That's part of why they became successful in the first place. But I never got the impression from any of them that they'd let their worst employee derail any of their efforts.

Here's hoping cooler heads prevail.
agn5009
7/23/2013 12:27am
agn5009 wrote:
So can anyone explain why Friese wasn't fined? I read the rules and MA800 was fined because he is a part of the team and is...
So can anyone explain why Friese wasn't fined? I read the rules and MA800 was fined because he is a part of the team and is responsible for his crews actions (which is a load of BS) well last time I checked Friese was there racing for that team and representing that team, so why wasn't he fined? I don't think neither he nor MA800 should have been fined, I'm just curious to hear the explanation.
kongols wrote:
Grasping at straws?
Every rider has his posse and he is responsible for their actions.
Grasping at straws? Really? I ask a simple, very relevant question about a moto incident and now I'm grasping at straws. Man, it must feel good to bash people online for asking a question. "Grasping at straws" typically means to be dependent upon something that is useless to the discussion so I ask you, how is this useless to this discussion? This is a major event which happened in our sport over the weekend and I would say trying to figure out the specifics in our discussions ain't exactly "useless."

Anyways, back to the discussion. I personally don't see how MA800's "crew" should affect his punishment. JA801 is a grown adult. He supposedly made the decision on his own. If I'm at a sporting event and go off to buy a brew and come back to a buddy of mine getting into a fight with another person over something that I had no part of I wouldn't be held responsible for him fighting and be arrested for assault. Why should this be any different? You can't control peoples stupidity. I feel like MA800 is really being dealt with a severe punishment. Also, I've read the report and it says no where in there that the rider has to be in the same class. It does, however, say they are held accountable for the crew. Last I checked, TA is a part of Frieses "crew" since he is the team manager.

Like I said, I don't think Friese should be held accountable for any of this and punished in any way shape or form. I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning behind coming down on MA800 so harshly.
mag23
7/23/2013 12:27am
GuyB wrote:
I'm actually pretty surprised to hear this, and here's why. I visited Mike's companies (Leisure Concepts and MotoConcepts last week, and it's obvious the he likes...
I'm actually pretty surprised to hear this, and here's why. I visited Mike's companies (Leisure Concepts and MotoConcepts last week, and it's obvious the he likes to do things the right way. Everything's tidy, well-polished, etc. the current building that they're in was purpose-built for the kind of manufacturing they do, so it's very efficient.

I get that Mike likes to do things his own way. Most entrepeneurs that I've worked for (including Malcolm Smith, Bob Osborn from BMX Action magazine, and Linn Kastan from Redline Engineering, Mike Sinyaed at Specialized Bicycle, or my current boss, Brad McDonald) have been stubborn and tenacious. That's part of why they became successful in the first place. But I never got the impression from any of them that they'd let their worst employee derail any of their efforts.

We were parked right next to you at Washougal... funny that 24 hours before all this silliness happened, we were joking about you flying your chopper behind the starting gate to catch the start of the race... imagine the footage you would have gotten of lasergate!
agn5009
7/23/2013 12:31am
agn5009 wrote:
Friese is racing 250s, right? The incident happened in Mike's race.
I get that. I'm just trying to figure out the wording of the document that I read which had the rules a regulations quoted in. I have a feeling that if JA801 had done this is the 250 class MA800 would have still been punished. But that's obviously pure speculation.
Fearo
7/23/2013 12:38am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2013 1:06am
In all the craziness that's going on, going after Tony could lead to something very interesting: uncovering of some of the dirt that goes on in pro motocross. Honestly, the PED story is probably really close to the truth. The only question is, if Tony (or any other 'insider') starts racking up dirt, will the series be able to survive in its current state?

Edit: just read that Tony used the words 'drug ring', so maybe I thought wrong.
The Rock
7/23/2013 1:04am
GuyB wrote:
I'm actually pretty surprised to hear this, and here's why. I visited Mike's companies (Leisure Concepts and MotoConcepts last week, and it's obvious the he likes...

I'm with you RE: hoping cooler heads prevail but this event might be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for Mike Genova. He isn't doing this to make money and this whole situation is a major buzz kill so I will totally understand if Genova walks away.

PS to the Vitard (thought it was in this thread but it isn't) that posted he cranked called MCR today a couple of times and asked if they had laser pens and goggles congratulations on a major douche move. Way to disrespect someone who has spent big bucks of his own money to fund a team for several years. Mike Genova is obviously a major enthusiast (strong move when he picked up Pourcel) and was doing this out of passion and to have fun.

The sport will lose a good man and team owner if Genova walks.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/23/2013 1:18am
Yeah, I saw that, too. That's something I'd expect from about a 12-year-old.
The Rock
7/23/2013 1:20am
jeffro503 wrote:
This is too the pulling out of the rest of the nationals thing and nothing else......... MG said that without Tony around running everything as they...
This is too the pulling out of the rest of the nationals thing and nothing else.........

MG said that without Tony around running everything as they need a manager , it just wouldn't be possible. As in....it would be a major pain in the ass to run these last few races without a manager.

I dunno man......I think MG and MA800 are getting totally thrown under the bus for something they didn't have anything to do with. Sure....take the fine , but taking away points from Mike A and basically shutting down the entire MCR team is a bad move for the sport I think.

Weather you like MikeG or not.......we need teams like that in our sport. You can believe that or not , it's up to you.
I feel you Jeff. I'm not comfortable with the points deduction given the way Mike Alessi conducted himself in his limited role in this unfortunate drama plus I agree we need teams like that in our sport.
robkinuk
7/23/2013 3:10am
GuyB wrote:

The Rock wrote:
I'm with you RE: hoping cooler heads prevail but this event might be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for Mike Genova. He isn't...
I'm with you RE: hoping cooler heads prevail but this event might be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for Mike Genova. He isn't doing this to make money and this whole situation is a major buzz kill so I will totally understand if Genova walks away.

PS to the Vitard (thought it was in this thread but it isn't) that posted he cranked called MCR today a couple of times and asked if they had laser pens and goggles congratulations on a major douche move. Way to disrespect someone who has spent big bucks of his own money to fund a team for several years. Mike Genova is obviously a major enthusiast (strong move when he picked up Pourcel) and was doing this out of passion and to have fun.

Sure home Mike Genova has a change of heart on pulling his team. He's a good guy, put thousands of dollars into his team and deserves more from his rider's entourage!
The whole point of running a team is to garner positve publicity for your brand by winning races and through your support of the sport. Sadly I don't think Jeff or Tony's actions and outbursts this weekend have added any positive enhancement to Moto Concepts.
There's plenty of great riders out there looking for a ride. Hope Mike Genova clean's house and comes back with a stronger team and race manager!
kongols
7/23/2013 3:17am
The Rock wrote:
I'm with you RE: hoping cooler heads prevail but this event might be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for Mike Genova. He isn't...

What can you expect from RV fantard?
7/23/2013 4:51am
I have to agree with Mike Genova and his decision to fold camp. The man digs into his own pocket a couple of million dollars a year to put a race team together that can compete without any factory support in the premium 450f class. If you spend millions of dollars I would think that you do it out of love for the sport. If there's no enjoyment in what you do there's no sense in doing it. Picking apart Moto Concepts team management based on the Alessi name was a severe penalty. A fine is understandable.
davistld01
7/23/2013 5:14am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2013 5:16am
I'll give Tony the benefit of the doubt (about 2 inches) because, if nothing else, it is obvious he loves his kids and wants to protect...
I'll give Tony the benefit of the doubt (about 2 inches) because, if nothing else, it is obvious he loves his kids and wants to protect them.

Been there, done that. To a fault. You can, literally, protect your kids to death.

The best parenting advice I have ever heard (after we screwed it up) is to practice 'Benign neglect.'. Let them fail. AND work their way back from failure. Tony seems to be having trouble with that. But it truly works.

Possibly the most thoughtful & level-headed post I've read on Vital in a long time. I am NOT an Alessi fan. I've personally witnessed Tony act the fool more than a time or two...and have always seen him as the perennial mini-dad, still living his own dreams vicariously through his sons. But, I can see through all the over the top bluster that he loves his boys. And, like a good father...he supports them completely, even to a fault.

My thoughts, after I got over my "good riddance" response are what a drag this is for Mike & for my fellow-Missourian Friese. I kind of understand why Mike got slapped with a fine, but he can cover that with a quick check. The read sad deal is that both these very talented riders are left out in the cold without a ride.
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
7/23/2013 5:14am

bd wrote:
Well said.
Worked for me, hardest thing my Dad ever did was let me hit bottom. Something you don't forget, of course he took a rider out with a tire in a race defending me. It's not like Tony hit anyone with a tire....
7/23/2013 5:38am
agn5009 wrote:
Grasping at straws? Really? I ask a simple, very relevant question about a moto incident and now I'm grasping at straws. Man, it must feel good...
Grasping at straws? Really? I ask a simple, very relevant question about a moto incident and now I'm grasping at straws. Man, it must feel good to bash people online for asking a question. "Grasping at straws" typically means to be dependent upon something that is useless to the discussion so I ask you, how is this useless to this discussion? This is a major event which happened in our sport over the weekend and I would say trying to figure out the specifics in our discussions ain't exactly "useless."

Anyways, back to the discussion. I personally don't see how MA800's "crew" should affect his punishment. JA801 is a grown adult. He supposedly made the decision on his own. If I'm at a sporting event and go off to buy a brew and come back to a buddy of mine getting into a fight with another person over something that I had no part of I wouldn't be held responsible for him fighting and be arrested for assault. Why should this be any different? You can't control peoples stupidity. I feel like MA800 is really being dealt with a severe punishment. Also, I've read the report and it says no where in there that the rider has to be in the same class. It does, however, say they are held accountable for the crew. Last I checked, TA is a part of Frieses "crew" since he is the team manager.

Like I said, I don't think Friese should be held accountable for any of this and punished in any way shape or form. I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning behind coming down on MA800 so harshly.
There's a very well established precedent in motocross, and motor sports in general, for holding the actual athlete responsible for his crew's actions. Think back to all the leaded fuel stuff from 2004-2006, do you think Chad Reed and Ferry are the ones who put that gas in the cans with it being just barely illegal? Unlikely, however, they were still held responsible (docked 25 points) because it was something their crew had done. Had this been a NASCAR race and someone's spotter was caught with a laser pointer, I guarantee you the penalty would have been quite severe and included disqualification from the race and a fine for the driver at the very minimum.

With that precedent, there is absolutely no way to question the penalties that MX Sports handed out. Honestly, I think they were fairly lenient on Mike considering what happened and considering that, in the end, he is responsible for his crew's actions.

Also, to those of you who are asking how Jeff was considered there with Mike, he was wearing a motoconcepts team shirt, had team headphones, had been in the rig, and is the brother of the team's main rider and son of its team manager. It's not any one of these things, but the sum of all of them that show that Jeff absolutely was a part of the operation, to say otherwise you have to ignore literally the entire statement by MXSports.
wheelie
7/23/2013 5:38am
They took points away from MA800 because they have had it out for him (even before this deal). enough said
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
7/23/2013 5:53am
wheelie wrote:
They took points away from MA800 because they have had it out for him (even before this deal). enough said
I would bet in a private and honest moment DC would say he feels sorry for MA800. If anyone "has it out" for him, it's because of his crew.
ns503
7/23/2013 5:56am
I'm trying to listen to the archive but getting non-responsive server messages at about the 40 minute mark.

I thought I had heard the most of it when I went to bed last night, but sounds like it hadn't even started yet...
ns503
7/23/2013 5:59am
wheelie wrote:
Bullshit.

The fallout here is ALL on Tony and his actions AFTER the laser incident itself - and he's too dumb, arrogant, or mentally unstable to realize it.

Sad sad sad...

(Big 800 fan here BTW...)
motosmith
7/23/2013 6:06am
Crash82 wrote:
. Matthes wanted a confrontation. He got a bunch of publicity just like he wanted. Tony makes a great point, why should Coombs be allowed to...
. Matthes wanted a confrontation. He got a bunch of publicity just like he wanted. Tony makes a great point, why should Coombs be allowed to jump folks? Tony should hang up, fuck Matthes.
Thank God I'm not the only one that thinks Matthes is the original Douche Bag in all of this. Well, maybe Jeff is the original DB but Matthes is giving him a run for his money. Complete Famewhore trying to make a name for himself at the expense of others.

Did he really say "tell Mike to find another goggle sponsor"? Why, because someone called him a name?
Crush
7/23/2013 6:15am
He's a journalist and a google rep...

His job is to report the news and as a rep for X-Brand goggles.

What did you want him to do? He didn't report something that didn't happen... It happened. There's proof!

I'd imagine he said find another goggle sponsor because he doesn't feel the company he reps for should be associated with shit like that.
flarider
7/23/2013 6:28am
Crash82 wrote:
. Matthes wanted a confrontation. He got a bunch of publicity just like he wanted. Tony makes a great point, why should Coombs be allowed to...
. Matthes wanted a confrontation. He got a bunch of publicity just like he wanted. Tony makes a great point, why should Coombs be allowed to jump folks? Tony should hang up, fuck Matthes.
motosmith wrote:
Thank God I'm not the only one that thinks Matthes is the original Douche Bag in all of this. Well, maybe Jeff is the original DB...
Thank God I'm not the only one that thinks Matthes is the original Douche Bag in all of this. Well, maybe Jeff is the original DB but Matthes is giving him a run for his money. Complete Famewhore trying to make a name for himself at the expense of others.

Did he really say "tell Mike to find another goggle sponsor"? Why, because someone called him a name?
No, he said it because the rider's brother, Jeff, threatened him with bodily harm and therefore the "product rep" doesn't want to be in an unsafe situation.

As I said in another thread, I like Mike, Tony and Dani, we have always gotten along well and been nice to me. I do not know Jeff that well.

I feel bad for Mike and Dani, this is their livelihood and it got screwed up by someone else, but the rider is responsible for his team, that rule is universal and applied at every local track around the world.

My take away in all this is;

A) I hope Genova has a change of heart, coughs up the $10K and then re-evaluates at year end.
B ) Genova keeps in mind that by not showing up to those final races (and paying the fine), he loses all of the sponsor monies and any contracts become void, including Mike's personal contracts. You're obligated to race, you don't show, sponsors don't pay.
C) If this year's contracts aren't fulfilled, next year it will be impossible to get or retain sponsors, on a team or personal level for Mike

I really hope this works out better than it looks like it will, and maybe it is time to consider Europe and start over.

Good luck, Mike and Dani
jeffro503
7/23/2013 6:43am
GuyB wrote:

mag23 wrote:
We were parked right next to you at Washougal... funny that 24 hours before all this silliness happened, we were joking about you flying your chopper...
We were parked right next to you at Washougal... funny that 24 hours before all this silliness happened, we were joking about you flying your chopper behind the starting gate to catch the start of the race... imagine the footage you would have gotten of lasergate!
Hmmm?? That is weird. I went back and talked to Weston and Lou Pieck a few different times on Saturday and saw they had parked right next to the VitalMX truck.

Steve....I pee'd in your gas tank.
albacore26
7/23/2013 6:47am
ns503 wrote:
I'm trying to listen to the archive but getting non-responsive server messages at about the 40 minute mark. I thought I had heard the most of...
I'm trying to listen to the archive but getting non-responsive server messages at about the 40 minute mark.

I thought I had heard the most of it when I went to bed last night, but sounds like it hadn't even started yet...
Same here after downloading it on Podkicker.

Post a reply to: Mike Genova on Pulp Mx

The Latest