Mike Brown getting heat over LL?

mimafia
Fantasy
2659th
8/5/2019 8:22pm
crusher773 wrote:
DC it has nothing to do with wanting to win a title or getting beat by faster guys. We aren't harping on Brown personally we are...
DC it has nothing to do with wanting to win a title or getting beat by faster guys. We aren't harping on Brown personally we are harping on the rules being the way they are. I know at least 20 guys who don't even attempt it anymore and used to every year. It's not a level playing field for what the class should actually be. I bet if you dug into results you'd have to get back into deeper than 20th place to find a guy that hasn't races pro at some point in his life. So how is that an amateur class? My point is just making LL is something that a lot of guys dream of and work towards. The current rules make it impossible because we wouldn't be racing the same caliber of guys. It's pros that have never stopped being pros, these guys are taking up half the gate spots. I largely agree with DC on most stuff and am a big fan but I think you are wrong on this and a vast majority of racers for these classes feel the same way.
The 20 people you know can't race B, college, 30+ or 45+? As has been discussed, former pros can only race two classes. I just don't get the problem.

Do we really want former pros 40+ years of age lining up in pro sport with teens? What if RJ, Ward, Larocco, Bradshaw, etc decide to race again. Should they race 450 pro sport?
DC
8/6/2019 7:20am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2019 7:23am
Racer111 wrote:
Again, that’s false. Jeff Stanton used to win by outworking and training harder than anyone else. He didn’t have half the talent the rest of the...
Again, that’s false. Jeff Stanton used to win by outworking and training harder than anyone else. He didn’t have half the talent the rest of the top 10 had. He just had a lot of heart and a kick ass work ethic. He won ONE race in 1992 and Bradshaw won 9, yet Stanton was the Champ.
DC wrote:
I'm out of the Mike Brown defense, the case is closed -- he's welcome at Loretta Lynn's in the two age classes he qualifies for. So...
I'm out of the Mike Brown defense, the case is closed -- he's welcome at Loretta Lynn's in the two age classes he qualifies for. So are John Grewe and Barry Carsten, +50 riders (and ex-pros) who finished second and third in the Senior +40.

But I have to weigh in on Jeff Stanton. He did not simply "outwork" everyone. He had amazing natural talent as well. I know, I grew up racing with him. The fallacy that Bradshaw and JMB had all the talent and he simply worked hard is not accurate by any means. They ALL worked hard, including Bayle. And they ALL had natural talent, including Jeff Stanton. He was a hard worker, absolutely. But he was also gifted.

And if Jeff Stanton or Damon Bradshaw or Jean-Michel Bayle showed up next year in the Senior +40 or Masters +50 classes I'm sure that they would be welcomed and very much appreciated by the vast majority of their fellow Loretta Lynn's competition. And Mike Brown would beat them too.

Please have this thread ready to go next August so everyone can whine about guys faster than the rest of us who still actually race dirt bikes and enjoy the competition.

DC
Racer X
crusher773 wrote:
DC it has nothing to do with wanting to win a title or getting beat by faster guys. We aren't harping on Brown personally we are...
DC it has nothing to do with wanting to win a title or getting beat by faster guys. We aren't harping on Brown personally we are harping on the rules being the way they are. I know at least 20 guys who don't even attempt it anymore and used to every year. It's not a level playing field for what the class should actually be. I bet if you dug into results you'd have to get back into deeper than 20th place to find a guy that hasn't races pro at some point in his life. So how is that an amateur class? My point is just making LL is something that a lot of guys dream of and work towards. The current rules make it impossible because we wouldn't be racing the same caliber of guys. It's pros that have never stopped being pros, these guys are taking up half the gate spots. I largely agree with DC on most stuff and am a big fan but I think you are wrong on this and a vast majority of racers for these classes feel the same way.
Crusher, I appreciate that you have a different opinion than I do (or the rest of the people that discuss AMA rules and settled on this years ago). And while I hate to hear that you know at least 20 guys who no longer participate, the Junior +25 class was UP by 13% this year over last year. Brown's other class, the Senior +40 class, was also up, but only 3%. That's the same ratio that we saw in the Vet +30 class that does not allow ex-pro riders who ever scored a point. So while Mike Brown may be turning off non-competitors on message boards, it doesn't seem to affect a lot of men who actually race with him.

Also, for those calling him "pro" because he raced in Canada, mind you that Canada does not require an AMA Pro license to sign up, and they allow A class riders from the U.S. to race in their Pro class, including A class vets like Mike Brown. As a matter of fact his fellow former pros John Dowd, Keith Johnson and Mike Treadwell all went up and raced the Canadian National last weekend, and the soon-to-be-54-year-old Dowd finished 14th in the second moto. He hasn't had a pro license in years, and he's more than welcome at Loretta Lynn's, but he would be limited to racing in Junior +25 (against guys more than half his age), Senior +40 and Masters +50.

And while I wish we could get ALL ex-pro license holders out of the Vet +30 and Senior +45 classes, you have to remember that back in the day it was very easy to get an AMA Pro license, and guys often did it just to have the pro card and try their hand just once at qualifying, only to never come close. We don't have all of the past AMA pro rolls, so we don't know who all of those guys are anyway, but we do have The Vault, and that helps us weed out point-scoring pros. And for what it's worth, I personally know a bunch of guys who got licenses knowing that they would never see a main event starting gate, but they just wanted to participate at that level at one point in their lives.

The rules for Loretta Lynn's vet classes are not perfect, but the vet classes are up in numbers, so they seem to be working well for the people who actually want to race at the highest level of amateur motocross.

DC
Racer X
crusher773
8/6/2019 9:54am
DC wrote:
I'm out of the Mike Brown defense, the case is closed -- he's welcome at Loretta Lynn's in the two age classes he qualifies for. So...
I'm out of the Mike Brown defense, the case is closed -- he's welcome at Loretta Lynn's in the two age classes he qualifies for. So are John Grewe and Barry Carsten, +50 riders (and ex-pros) who finished second and third in the Senior +40.

But I have to weigh in on Jeff Stanton. He did not simply "outwork" everyone. He had amazing natural talent as well. I know, I grew up racing with him. The fallacy that Bradshaw and JMB had all the talent and he simply worked hard is not accurate by any means. They ALL worked hard, including Bayle. And they ALL had natural talent, including Jeff Stanton. He was a hard worker, absolutely. But he was also gifted.

And if Jeff Stanton or Damon Bradshaw or Jean-Michel Bayle showed up next year in the Senior +40 or Masters +50 classes I'm sure that they would be welcomed and very much appreciated by the vast majority of their fellow Loretta Lynn's competition. And Mike Brown would beat them too.

Please have this thread ready to go next August so everyone can whine about guys faster than the rest of us who still actually race dirt bikes and enjoy the competition.

DC
Racer X
crusher773 wrote:
DC wrote:
Crusher, I appreciate that you have a different opinion than I do (or the rest of the people that discuss AMA rules and settled on this...
Crusher, I appreciate that you have a different opinion than I do (or the rest of the people that discuss AMA rules and settled on this years ago). And while I hate to hear that you know at least 20 guys who no longer participate, the Junior +25 class was UP by 13% this year over last year. Brown's other class, the Senior +40 class, was also up, but only 3%. That's the same ratio that we saw in the Vet +30 class that does not allow ex-pro riders who ever scored a point. So while Mike Brown may be turning off non-competitors on message boards, it doesn't seem to affect a lot of men who actually race with him.

Also, for those calling him "pro" because he raced in Canada, mind you that Canada does not require an AMA Pro license to sign up, and they allow A class riders from the U.S. to race in their Pro class, including A class vets like Mike Brown. As a matter of fact his fellow former pros John Dowd, Keith Johnson and Mike Treadwell all went up and raced the Canadian National last weekend, and the soon-to-be-54-year-old Dowd finished 14th in the second moto. He hasn't had a pro license in years, and he's more than welcome at Loretta Lynn's, but he would be limited to racing in Junior +25 (against guys more than half his age), Senior +40 and Masters +50.

And while I wish we could get ALL ex-pro license holders out of the Vet +30 and Senior +45 classes, you have to remember that back in the day it was very easy to get an AMA Pro license, and guys often did it just to have the pro card and try their hand just once at qualifying, only to never come close. We don't have all of the past AMA pro rolls, so we don't know who all of those guys are anyway, but we do have The Vault, and that helps us weed out point-scoring pros. And for what it's worth, I personally know a bunch of guys who got licenses knowing that they would never see a main event starting gate, but they just wanted to participate at that level at one point in their lives.

The rules for Loretta Lynn's vet classes are not perfect, but the vet classes are up in numbers, so they seem to be working well for the people who actually want to race at the highest level of amateur motocross.

DC
Racer X
What you are really mean is they work for the pro riders. There are a lot of guys that aren't pro or have never raced pro that the rules completely omit. That is the issue at hand here. To say we are not racers is incorrect because we all are. The issue is that there is not a single class at LL that is intended for Vet riders that haven't been pro and made money racing at some point.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
8/6/2019 10:09am
Holy midlife crisis thread.

The Shop

DC
8/6/2019 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2019 12:33pm
crusher773 wrote:
DC wrote:
Crusher, I appreciate that you have a different opinion than I do (or the rest of the people that discuss AMA rules and settled on this...

DC
Racer X
crusher773 wrote:
What you are really mean is they work for the pro riders. There are a lot of guys that aren't pro or have never raced pro...
What you are really mean is they work for the pro riders. There are a lot of guys that aren't pro or have never raced pro that the rules completely omit. That is the issue at hand here. To say we are not racers is incorrect because we all are. The issue is that there is not a single class at LL that is intended for Vet riders that haven't been pro and made money racing at some point.
Crusher, they are not "completely omitted" as there are two Sportsman classes for those who never scored points as a pro. I watched their motos and I don't think anyone who is competitive locally in their local Vet B would be overwhelmed by anyone in that class. We tried Vet B/C and the problem is that with so many years under your belt, 1.) You're slowing down with each year (unless you're Mike Brown, and he's not in these classes) 2.) How do we police whether any of the hundreds of riders that tried to qualify and actually did qualify has ever "made money racing at some point"? We don't have the results of every fair race or arena cross or bounty race or whatever is out there, and these are guys who have years and years of experience. So the compromise with the AMA was to go to The Vault where riders who scored points are listed all the way back to 1972 -- every AMA National, every AMA Supercross, every class. Those riders are limited to three specific age groups, and then there are two classes for everyone else--and they can also try to make it in the classes that include ex-pros who scored points.

We can't make a unique class for every age and skill level, and as you get older, by nature you get slower. We feel that this is the best way to have qualified riders across five age categories that have plenty of options. And the numbers are up, in an otherwise difficult market, so I think it works for more than just ex-pros.

And yes, some of you in this thread are racers, but I was pointing out that you are not racing in this event, just mad about those who are. And I get that -- I am over 50 and I can't race Vet +30 or +45 because I got ninth at Daytona in the 125 class way back in 1985. Now I work two jobs full time and don't have time to train to race with the likes of Grewe and Carsten, let alone Mike Brown. But those classes--+30 and +45--omit me.

In other words, I live by the exact same rules and classes that you do. And I would never change them for myself, nor would I change them for anyone else.

DC
Racer X
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
8/6/2019 2:21pm
crusher773 wrote:
There has never been or ever will be a level playing field in any sport. The 20 guys you know that wont even try anymore would not make it even if they did change the rules to help the terminally slow. You want to race the same caliber guys then race local if you want to race the elite then try to go to LLs . LLs is not for the bottom feeders its for the blue chip riders in ALL the classes, sorry you and your friends are not in that group but you can only speak for yourself and not the vast majority of racers for these classes.
crusher773
8/6/2019 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2019 4:08pm
crusher773 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
There has never been or ever will be a level playing field in any sport. The 20 guys you know that wont even try anymore would...
There has never been or ever will be a level playing field in any sport. The 20 guys you know that wont even try anymore would not make it even if they did change the rules to help the terminally slow. You want to race the same caliber guys then race local if you want to race the elite then try to go to LLs . LLs is not for the bottom feeders its for the blue chip riders in ALL the classes, sorry you and your friends are not in that group but you can only speak for yourself and not the vast majority of racers for these classes.
This statement is wrong because it's guys that have been at some point so to say terminally slow is wrong because that's not who I'm talking about. I'm talking about guys that are right on the cusp there and deserve spots that are being taken by pro riders. I know it's not going to change but does it ever piss me off every year because it's a bunch of crap the way it's done. I'm not vouching for terminally slow I'm talking about guys that if the pros were out into their own class could very likely be on that gate.
CASH476
8/6/2019 4:31pm
crusher773 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
There has never been or ever will be a level playing field in any sport. The 20 guys you know that wont even try anymore would...
crusher773 wrote:
This statement is wrong because it's guys that have been at some point so to say terminally slow is wrong because that's not who I'm talking...
This statement is wrong because it's guys that have been at some point so to say terminally slow is wrong because that's not who I'm talking about. I'm talking about guys that are right on the cusp there and deserve spots that are being taken by pro riders. I know it's not going to change but does it ever piss me off every year because it's a bunch of crap the way it's done. I'm not vouching for terminally slow I'm talking about guys that if the pros were out into their own class could very likely be on that gate.
Jesus Christ Man! There are two classes that allow for ex pro riders as determined by the rules. If someone is on the cusp and did not make the class they are either not fast enough or should try to qualify for another class. It's not that difficult to understand.
Regis
Fantasy
359th
8/6/2019 4:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2019 4:36pm
crusher773 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
crusher773 wrote:
This statement is wrong because it's guys that have been at some point so to say terminally slow is wrong because that's not who I'm talking...
I think you are making this a way bigger deal than it is.

Give us some names of the guys that got screwed and didn’t get to go, we will dig up some results and see if it was Mike Browns fault they didn’t qualify.

I only count three people in the +40 class that ever scored points in a AMA race and one of them (grewe) did it back in 1988.

Let it go....

haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
8/6/2019 4:55pm
crusher773 wrote:
So a couple of guys who are right on the cusp are getting screwed? A couple of guys who are going to run in the bottom quarter of the field whether Brown lines up or not are reason enough to change the rules?

Why are those guys not racing collegeboy? Or B? Is it because they're not fast enough in those classes either? Advice to them would be to wait till they're 30 then hit up the sportsman class
fytefire
8/7/2019 8:53am
Im right on the cusp as you say on making it. Didn't make it. Move on. Ive been following this thread since last year. Not sure what all the fuss is over. If you aren't qualifying for LLs then you aren't going fast enough. Has nothing to do with Mike Brown, Grewe or Carsten. I raced the +40 and +45 regional at Baja Acres this year. I didn't qualify. Period! Went 7/6/10 for 7th overall in 45 and 12/DNF/DNS in 40. There are 5 other spots up for grabs after Mike Brown. If you want it. Go get it!!!! Or plain and simple...Don't race it. Stick to local racing.
huck
8/7/2019 9:25am
If you are in the 25+, 40+, or 50+ class and butt-hurt over not getting a LL title... you need to reevaluate your life goals. Holy shit!

Here is a simple solution...
1. Save the money it costs to race LL
2. Go to your local trophy shop
3. Buy the biggest one they have
4. Have them etch "NATIONAL CHAMPION" on it.
5. Take pictures with your new trophy
6. Post pictures all over social media of your 'accomplishment'.
7. Break your arm patting yourself on the back...
500guy
8/7/2019 1:36pm
huck wrote:
If you are in the 25+, 40+, or 50+ class and butt-hurt over not getting a LL title... you need to reevaluate your life goals. Holy...
If you are in the 25+, 40+, or 50+ class and butt-hurt over not getting a LL title... you need to reevaluate your life goals. Holy shit!

If you did break your arm "patting yourself on the back" what a great story you could tell about winning a National championship with a broken arm.
Sierra Ranger
8/7/2019 2:23pm
huck wrote:
If you are in the 25+, 40+, or 50+ class and butt-hurt over not getting a LL title... you need to reevaluate your life goals. Holy...

Hell, every former racer I meet has won an amateur national championship, was sponsored, and if they are older, "used to race Bailey." The BS level of former racers is off the charts! Woohoo
8/7/2019 2:39pm
Fastest guy wins the title.

Where else is Brown gonna race ? If I want the effing title I better take a gap year. And get on his level.

People forget that not everyone wants to WIN at Loretta’s.

Some just want to borrow daveys truck and go to Walmart....

Seriously tho, some want to have a family vacation and have fun. You’re all forgetting that. And where else is Brown gonna race or former pros ? They can’t race local races. Cmon. Ease up.

This is what Loretta’s is all about:

huck
8/8/2019 7:18am
500guy wrote:
If you did break your arm "patting yourself on the back" what a great story you could tell about winning a National championship with a broken...
If you did break your arm "patting yourself on the back" what a great story you could tell about winning a National championship with a broken arm.
That would probably propel them to 'influencer' status... Whatever the hell that means!
AZRider
8/9/2019 6:56am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2019 7:01am
I dont blame mike brown at all. He is doing what husky/yamaha have asked. It does seem a bit ridiculous that a guy who raced in the Canadian mx series and red bull straight rhythm is lining up against 40+ year old guys that dont ride a motorycycle for living. Thats a rule issue and it isnt fair..that being said, i realize that and only bother with 45+ class for that reason. I would say you just need to look at the GH Vet MX championship that has multiple classes and gets a pretty dang good turnout every year to see that the opportunity is there to improve the LL MX divisions. But LLMX isnt a vet oriented system, so i understand that too.

I just want to race motocross as an old guy and hope that there is some resemblance of parity in requirements for the classes i participate in.

Post a reply to: Mike Brown getting heat over LL?

The Latest