Mike Brown an amateur and a pro at the same time??

honda907
10/23/2017 4:28am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2017 1:12pm
Not dissing Mike Brown, but I am confused. How does he ride at Loretta Lynn's as an amateur and ride pro offload races before the event and Red Bull Straight Rhythm? I realize he is within the rules, but who makes up all these rules?? The manufactures?? Good for Mike Brown I like him. But the sanctioning body is just out in left field in enforcing fairness in racing of any kind. The manufactures benefits with these rules it seems.

So, do the manufactures dictate the rules for motorcycling, as far as rider elgibility, bike elgibility, fuel and the like?
|
ge217
10/23/2017 4:45am
What is your point in this post?
TymeMoto
10/23/2017 5:06am
The guy is 46 years old. Let him do whatever he wants.
tiddlermx23
10/23/2017 5:07am
ge217 wrote:
What is your point in this post?
X2. The guy is 2 years shy of 50 and hauling ass and having fun. If the dude wanted to race 65s let him race friggin 65s!
10/23/2017 5:31am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2017 5:32am
I agree...Brown has had his shot at the big time and should step aside for the young riders coming up, like Josh Hansen and Josh Hill. Year in and year out, those two kids are grinding it and working their asses off, patiently waiting for their shot at the big time. If either of those kids ever get a good ride, they will be champions.

The Shop

c0ncEpT
10/23/2017 5:35am
The class he rides in at Lorettas allows former AMA National motocross pros. I'm not sure what your problem is? The current discipline of motorcycle racing that he's professional in isn't motocross.
imoto34
Fantasy
3137th
10/23/2017 5:41am
I agree...Brown has had his shot at the big time and should step aside for the young riders coming up, like Josh Hansen and Josh Hill...
I agree...Brown has had his shot at the big time and should step aside for the young riders coming up, like Josh Hansen and Josh Hill. Year in and year out, those two kids are grinding it and working their asses off, patiently waiting for their shot at the big time. If either of those kids ever get a good ride, they will be champions.
Hansen nor Hill are "kids" and they both have had great rides in the past.
tingo
10/23/2017 5:45am
I agree...Brown has had his shot at the big time and should step aside for the young riders coming up, like Josh Hansen and Josh Hill...
imoto34 wrote:
Pretty sure you missed the joke there.
kzizok
Fantasy
1876th
10/23/2017 5:53am
tingo wrote:
WoohooWoohoo
Dirt222
10/23/2017 5:54am
Some one almost 50 is not the problem. A B class rider just won the 250 class in Vegas. He will be racing the B class at the Mini O in Nov. Road racing and flat track is the only form of true racing left. Joker lanes, signature jumps, tracks with no turns. I am over all the hype. It is not about the race, it is more about how fast can we fill up the meat wagons.
10/23/2017 5:55am
imoto34 wrote:
tingo wrote:
bahaha that was a good one, flew completely over that guys head...
honda907
10/23/2017 6:05am
My problem isn't with Brown. It's cool that he's a monster. He is within the rules. He's not my problem. Read it again.

It's the classification of what caliber a racer is. Professional or amature.

Who makes up these rules. Brown is legal in all ways but how is this classification structured when a guy races amature one month and a pro last weekend at another. It is just confusing how the AMA classified a rider today.

Who makes up these rules? Is it a lottery type deal ( sarcasim).
honda907
10/23/2017 6:10am
TymeMoto wrote:
The guy is 46 years old. Let him do whatever he wants.
I don't have a problem with him. He's obviously legal. He's great.

Just the rules seem confusing on what is classified as an amateur. That's all. I guess he can ride pro like last weekend??

Rules seem confusing. Seems like it benefits the factories when it's convenient.

I Think Villo should do 25+ and do some off shore SX's I guess. That's what will happen next, with some of the reasoning here........
honda907
10/23/2017 6:15am
c0ncEpT wrote:
The class he rides in at Lorettas allows former AMA National motocross pros. I'm not sure what your problem is? The current discipline of motorcycle racing...
The class he rides in at Lorettas allows former AMA National motocross pros. I'm not sure what your problem is? The current discipline of motorcycle racing that he's professional in isn't motocross.
And I guess that solves my problem. As long as he doesn't race MX professionally, he gets to race other forms of racing professionally without being classified as a Pro MX guy.

Thank you.

Still seems like a bad policy on what an amature is.

I get Ramsey racing at LL and he's no longer pro.

Policy seems flawed to let Brown ride, although it is within the rules.

Bad policy by the AMA , non the less........
early
Fantasy
2050th
10/23/2017 6:15am
honda907 wrote:
My problem isn't with Brown. It's cool that he's a monster. He is within the rules. He's not my problem. Read it again. It's the classification...
My problem isn't with Brown. It's cool that he's a monster. He is within the rules. He's not my problem. Read it again.

Who makes up these rules. Brown is legal in all ways but how is this classification structured when a guy races amature one month and a pro last weekend at another. It is just confusing how the AMA classified a rider today.

Dude races amateurs amd people are pissed, dude races pros and people are pissed, dude races fictional charactwrs and everybodys pissed.

Sounds like Brownie raced the V class with your girlfriend last weekend.
DC
10/23/2017 6:17am
Loretta Lynn's is an AMA Amateur, Youth and Vet National. The shorthand for it is "Amateur" national, but there are specific classes for all three categories -- and some Vet classes allow former pro and current pro-ams; some don't. Mike Brown races in the one that allows past-pros, just as Barry Carsten, John Grewe, Kevin Walker, Kevin Foley, Jeff Emig, Ricky Carmichael, Robbie Reynard, James Povolny, Austin Stroupe, Michael Byrne, Mark Barnett, Marty Smith, Kenny Keylon, Tony DiStefano, Barry Higgins and a whole bunch of other former pros have....

Been like this since 1982, so no big deal. Stoked that Brownie can still haul the mail and do fun events like Red Bull Straight Rhythm or even a Canadian National, but not an AMA Supercross or AMA Pro Motocross race in the last year.

DC
Racer X
honda907
10/23/2017 6:21am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2017 6:22am
honda907 wrote:
My problem isn't with Brown. It's cool that he's a monster. He is within the rules. He's not my problem. Read it again. It's the classification...

early wrote:
Dude races amateurs amd people are pissed, dude races pros and people are pissed, dude races fictional charactwrs and everybodys pissed. Sounds like Brownie raced the...
Dude races amateurs amd people are pissed, dude races pros and people are pissed, dude races fictional charactwrs and everybodys pissed.

Sounds like Brownie raced the V class with your girlfriend last weekend.
Not pissed. He's good and all. Just seems confusing and I have better clarity on it now.

As long as he doesn't race pro MX, he can ride other disciplines of professional motorcycling and still be an amateur. Red Bull Straight Rythem isn't MX so I guess he falls in the rules.

No problem here. Just wanted clarification.
MOTO120
10/23/2017 6:25am
Not this again....
10/23/2017 6:32am
It's amazing how a guy who obviously just asks a question about rules gets a load of "What's your problem?" crap...
early
Fantasy
2050th
10/23/2017 6:34am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2017 6:35am
honda907 wrote:
Not pissed. He's good and all. Just seems confusing and I have better clarity on it now. As long as he doesn't race pro MX, he...
Not pissed. He's good and all. Just seems confusing and I have better clarity on it now.

As long as he doesn't race pro MX, he can ride other disciplines of professional motorcycling and still be an amateur. Red Bull Straight Rythem isn't MX so I guess he falls in the rules.

No problem here. Just wanted clarification.
Rbsr also has nothing to do with ama. Its essentially like him competing in american ninja warrior.
Mini Elsinore
10/23/2017 6:48am
What rule did he break? Brownie is the epitome of a working-class professional. He shows up prepared, works hard, and keeps his mouth shut unless he has something of substance to say. How in the hell can anyone knock the guy? Smh.
kage173
10/23/2017 6:59am
honda907 wrote:
Not dissing Mike Brown, but I am confused. How does he ride at Loretta Lynn's as an amateur and ride pro offload races before the event...
Not dissing Mike Brown, but I am confused. How does he ride at Loretta Lynn's as an amateur and ride pro offload races before the event and Red Bull Straight Rhythm? I realize he is within the rules, but who makes up all these rules?? The manufactures?? Good for Mike Brown I like him. But the sanctioning body is just out in left field in enforcing fairness in racing of any kind. The manufactures benefits with these rules it seems.

So, do the manufactures dictate the rules for motorcycling, as far as rider elgibility, bike elgibility, fuel and the like?
I understand where your coming from and feel the same way. And yes, DC's post does clarify things and shows that it's not really new. However, the point remains: things are kind of all over the place depending on the class, day, week, etc....

I'm not fired up about it or anything, but the issue I have with that kind of stuff is more about the bike than the rider. Brown currently rides for factory Husky and shows up with a bike (or 2 or 4) built by them. Yeah they probably fit in the rules, but pretty hard for others to keep up with that. Anyway, I get it that that class is designed for it and that's cool, but I agree it maybe impacts the purity of the idea of Amateur.
imoto34
Fantasy
3137th
10/23/2017 7:03am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2017 7:05am
imoto34 wrote:
tingo wrote:
Must have, seems to have been serious. I now understand lol
DC
10/23/2017 7:06am
Brown currently rides for factory Husky and shows up with a bike (or 2 or 4) built by them.

Have you ever looked under an amateur factory-support team's tent to see how many bikes they have for their top 65cc or 85cc riders?

We all wish things could be more even when it comes to support and assistance, but faster kids--and faster men and faster women--get more and better support and equipment. It happens in every sport and every field; read Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" for an idea of what Youth Hockey is like.

DC
Racer X
MX-LIFE.
10/23/2017 7:40am
DC wrote:
Loretta Lynn's is an AMA Amateur, Youth and Vet National. The shorthand for it is "Amateur" national, but there are specific classes for all three categories...
Loretta Lynn's is an AMA Amateur, Youth and Vet National. The shorthand for it is "Amateur" national, but there are specific classes for all three categories -- and some Vet classes allow former pro and current pro-ams; some don't. Mike Brown races in the one that allows past-pros, just as Barry Carsten, John Grewe, Kevin Walker, Kevin Foley, Jeff Emig, Ricky Carmichael, Robbie Reynard, James Povolny, Austin Stroupe, Michael Byrne, Mark Barnett, Marty Smith, Kenny Keylon, Tony DiStefano, Barry Higgins and a whole bunch of other former pros have....

Been like this since 1982, so no big deal. Stoked that Brownie can still haul the mail and do fun events like Red Bull Straight Rhythm or even a Canadian National, but not an AMA Supercross or AMA Pro Motocross race in the last year.

DC
Racer X
Hey DC, how is it that he can't race a AMA National or a SX race? Lack of funding or age? Also not sure if you recall but I met you you cpl years ago in Detroit I was stumbling (loll damn long Islands)out of Mercury bar near downtown and you were standing in the street taking pictures of the old Detroit Grand train station where some scenes for the movie 8mi was filmed! I had to call the wife to tell who I'd run into at the bar! Lol
cjg23307
10/23/2017 7:41am
honda907 wrote:
Not dissing Mike Brown, but I am confused. How does he ride at Loretta Lynn's as an amateur and ride pro offload races before the event...

Enzo Lopez raced who is also a amateur. Quit crying about a almost 50 year old.
slowgti
10/23/2017 7:54am
I'm just happy a guy like Mike is still relevant. The way this industry works, I'm surprised he hasn't told everybody to pound sand and enjoy himself and his family. The fact he turned pro in '89 and we still have monthly threads about him says a lot about his influence. Someone at Husky is very, very clever for realizing it and signing him.
DC
10/23/2017 8:11am
MX-LIFE wrote Hey DC, how is it that he can't race a AMA National or a SX race? Lack of funding or age?

He can enter a National or SX, but then he can't race Loretta Lynn's if he qualifies for the actual event for a full year.

And I remember that, it was the old Fox Theater?

DC
Racer X
NorCal 50+
10/23/2017 12:30pm
Saying Brown was an inspiration to us older guys is a massive understatement. Dude is unreal.
ML512
Fantasy
32nd
10/23/2017 1:15pm
honda907 wrote:

Red Bull Straight Rhythm isn't a sanctioned AMA or FIM event and is not technically a "pro event"...it's an exhibition race that you're invited to and they have invited amateurs (such as Enzo Lopes) to compete.
jnickell
Fantasy
1789th
10/23/2017 4:00pm
DRAGONBACK wrote:
It's amazing how a guy who obviously just asks a question about rules gets a load of "What's your problem?" crap...
Exactly!!! It was a totally valid question that was clearly not an attack on Brownie. I thought he made that point very clear in the initial post as well as his responses to "what's your problem?" ... Yet they still piled on. Mind boggling.

Post a reply to: Mike Brown an amateur and a pro at the same time??

The Latest