Mike Brown @ LL

Superdave19
Edited Date/Time 8/5/2019 4:01am
Man this guy is unbelievable.. What ex-pro would you like to see duke it out with Brownie next yr at the Ranch? The Moto today in +25 w/Durham was awesome!
|
mb60
8/1/2019 3:24pm
I would like to see a Vet Pro Expert class over 30. That's what I would like to see.
crusher773
This is a joke right because neither of those guys should be racing LL except in the actual pro classes.
brocster
JandHob wrote:
Brown an ex-pro? Isn’t that his job
No. Its his Hob!

The Shop

DC
8/1/2019 4:04pm
crusher773 wrote:
This is a joke right because neither of those guys should be racing LL except in the actual pro classes.
We've been allowing former pros in the vet classes since the very first Loretta Lynn's in 1982. Everyone from Barry Higgins to Ricky Carmichael have chosen to come back and participate. And every year since Vital MX came online someone complains here about it.

Mike Brown is 47 years old and hasn't been a pro for a long time. The idea that "once you're a pro, always a pro" is an outdated Olympic idea. What makes you a pro is having an active AMA Pro license, and neither Brown nor Durham have that active license, nor do John Grewe, Earl May, Barry Carsten, etc...

But they are limited to riding in the Junior +25, Senior +40 or Masters +50. The Vet +30 class and the Senior +45 classes are for Sportsmen who have never scored points in an AMA Pro National or AMA Supercross.

Just because a guy wants to continue racing after he is no longer a pro doesn't mean he's still a pro. And just because Mike Brown is faster than every other 47-year-old on the planet doesn't make him a pro either. The fact that he's battling to win the +25 class against much younger competition is pretty damn cool.

DC
Racer X

8/1/2019 4:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2019 4:07pm
Mike Brown has raced the Canadian Nationals this year, so he has his pro card for 2019. But, I am happy to see him ride and have no issues with it.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
8/1/2019 4:07pm
crusher773 wrote:
+25 is effectively a pro class.
If you're an under 30 non pro you can race B class, C class or college. If you're over 30 non pro you can race the 30+ sportsman or 45+ sportsman.

Who exactly is he hurting by racing at this event?Other than the feelings of a few 28 year old a grade riders who are getting beat by someone almost twice their age. There are plenty of classes for people who want a trophy but want to dodge the fast guys.

8/1/2019 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2019 4:09pm
WELL said, DC

I would literally hitch hike to the ranch (if that's what it took) to see Stew race again.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
8/1/2019 4:27pm
crusher773 wrote:
DC wrote:
We've been allowing former pros in the vet classes since the very first Loretta Lynn's in 1982. Everyone from Barry Higgins to Ricky Carmichael have chosen...
We've been allowing former pros in the vet classes since the very first Loretta Lynn's in 1982. Everyone from Barry Higgins to Ricky Carmichael have chosen to come back and participate. And every year since Vital MX came online someone complains here about it.

Mike Brown is 47 years old and hasn't been a pro for a long time. The idea that "once you're a pro, always a pro" is an outdated Olympic idea. What makes you a pro is having an active AMA Pro license, and neither Brown nor Durham have that active license, nor do John Grewe, Earl May, Barry Carsten, etc...

But they are limited to riding in the Junior +25, Senior +40 or Masters +50. The Vet +30 class and the Senior +45 classes are for Sportsmen who have never scored points in an AMA Pro National or AMA Supercross.

Just because a guy wants to continue racing after he is no longer a pro doesn't mean he's still a pro. And just because Mike Brown is faster than every other 47-year-old on the planet doesn't make him a pro either. The fact that he's battling to win the +25 class against much younger competition is pretty damn cool.

DC
Racer X

I typically have your back when this topic comes up every year, but in this case, Mike Brown is a current pro. A bad ass 47 year old freak of nature current pro. It is his job, it is what he is paid to do. 25+ is one thing, but 40+?

wpark89
8/1/2019 4:32pm
So tired of this coming up every year. There aren’t enough of these sort of “ex factory riders” to justify their own class....and there’s not enough of them to prevent anyone capable of qualifying otherwise from getting a spot on the gate.

They’ve tweaked the classes every viable way possible....keeping out anyone who had a pro license....keeping out anyone who ever scored points....yet some of you guys will just moan.

haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
8/1/2019 4:34pm
GrapeApe wrote:
I typically have your back when this topic comes up every year, but in this case, Mike Brown is a current pro. A bad ass 47...
I typically have your back when this topic comes up every year, but in this case, Mike Brown is a current pro. A bad ass 47 year old freak of nature current pro. It is his job, it is what he is paid to do. 25+ is one thing, but 40+?

So because he's faster than the rest of the 40+ crowd he should race with the 18 year olds? He's racing against other pros in all his classes, what more can he do?
Motogoof
8/1/2019 4:35pm
Brown should be very proud of winning +40 so far at Loretta”s. He’s beat a plumber ,and electrician ,a car salesman and a welder. Right on brownie
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
8/1/2019 4:39pm
Motogoof wrote:
Brown should be very proud of winning +40 so far at Loretta”s. He’s beat a plumber ,and electrician ,a car salesman and a welder. Right on...
Brown should be very proud of winning +40 so far at Loretta”s. He’s beat a plumber ,and electrician ,a car salesman and a welder. Right on brownie
yep. In the vet pro class.

Somebody has to win.
slipdog
8/1/2019 4:41pm
crusher773 wrote:
DC wrote:
We've been allowing former pros in the vet classes since the very first Loretta Lynn's in 1982. Everyone from Barry Higgins to Ricky Carmichael have chosen...

DC
Racer X

GrapeApe wrote:
I typically have your back when this topic comes up every year, but in this case, Mike Brown is a current pro. A bad ass 47...

As a 40+ non current pro, I have no problem with Mike Brown racing that class...
LowBidder
Fantasy
1703rd
8/1/2019 4:45pm
What a bunch of crybabies, instead of complaing about Mike Brown, go train like Mike Brown. Great job D.C. just bring back white bibs, havent got anything done this week from 10:00am- 6:00pm
Motogoof
8/1/2019 4:48pm
LowBidder wrote:
What a bunch of crybabies, instead of complaing about Mike Brown, go train like Mike Brown. Great job D.C. just bring back white bibs, havent got...
What a bunch of crybabies, instead of complaing about Mike Brown, go train like Mike Brown. Great job D.C. just bring back white bibs, havent got anything done this week from 10:00am- 6:00pm
I”d love to train like Brown , but I don’t have the time. I work a 8-6 day job.
Trig331
8/1/2019 4:54pm
Don’t have a problem with how it’s set up now. Make it some years and don’t qualify others. Just have to be faster if I want to go. Although, feel free to add the +35 class back in DC...Cool
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/1/2019 4:55pm
I can see both sides of the argument. For amateurs, this may be the biggest race on the planet and for most it is the pinnacle of what they will achieve. For those who have a legit shot at winning a title, it sucks that they have to through a former National Champion to do it, no matter how old he is. (Brownie still races GNCC or the like, doesn't he?)

Then again, I want to see guys like RC and Mike Brown continue racing. What else are they going to do, hang up the boots?
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
8/1/2019 4:59pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2019 4:30am
slipdog wrote:
As a 40+ non current pro, I have no problem with Mike Brown racing that class...
It's not like I have a huge problem with it. RC with a beer gut was awesome. 200 pound Reynard on a 125 was awesome. I'd love to see Stewart line up with a FGOTP (fastest golfer on the planet) butt patch. But seeing Brown in the 40+ class lapping riders before he made it to the 2nd corner was the first time I got the feeling this is a stretch. Hopefully he gets a nice bonus from FXR and Yamaha.
kijen
8/1/2019 5:00pm
Pro golf figured it out, pro tennis figured it out, MX is too small so they need all the riders they can get at Loretta's, and comparing some of these guys to guys who actually work and have a family is ridiculous. I watch the nationals, GPs, try to follow the Canadian series, but just cant seem to get excited about the Amateur thing in MX, kids with better support then actual pro's, just as screwed up as AAU basketball. And the fact local racing is dried up i dont know anyone anymore to follow.

Respect to the old pros though, they are pretty damn fast.
agn5009
8/1/2019 5:04pm
slipdog wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
It's not like I have a huge problem with it. RC with a beer gut was awesome. 200 pound Reynard on a 125 was awesome. I'd...
It's not like I have a huge problem with it. RC with a beer gut was awesome. 200 pound Reynard on a 125 was awesome. I'd love to see Stewart line up with a FGOTP (fastest golfer on the planet) butt patch. But seeing Brown in the 40+ class lapping riders before he made it to the 2nd corner was the first time I got the feeling this is a stretch. Hopefully he gets a nice bonus from FXR and Yamaha.
Yeah, I usually don’t have an issue with it either. I never had an issue with Carmichael, Reynard or anyone else doing it. But the simple fact that Brown has raced in a professional event (Canada pro nationals) this year kinda ruins it for me.
moto0852
8/1/2019 5:10pm
crusher773 wrote:
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X

GrapeApe wrote:

Your argument doesn't hold water. I get "paid" to race. I'm 53 and race the WORCS 50+ C class. I make about $200 dollars every race from Maxxis, Rocky Mtn. MC/ATV and KTM contingency. The Women lap me in an hour race and I can't keep the kids on 85CC insight for more than two corners.

Mike Brown and I have these things in common:
1. Don't hold a pro license (tough to be called a pro when by the very definition of the AMA you're not)
2. Don't race full time.
3. Don't get paid to race. (Mike's not getting paid to go to LL)
4. Both of us were pro (me, uh about 35 years ago and no, never scored a point)

Just because someone is faster than you doesn't mean they shouldnt race.
Motogoof
8/1/2019 5:10pm
I honestly really don’t understand the confusion around it. Brown is paid by Yamaha to race motorcycles. Loretta s is an amateur event.Pretty simple to me really . If Brown wants to go to Glen Helen for the World vet that’s no problem. It is not an amateur event and it’s open to everyone.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
8/1/2019 5:11pm
moto0852 wrote:
Your argument doesn't hold water. I get "paid" to race. I'm 53 and race the WORCS 50+ C class. I make about $200 dollars every race...
Your argument doesn't hold water. I get "paid" to race. I'm 53 and race the WORCS 50+ C class. I make about $200 dollars every race from Maxxis, Rocky Mtn. MC/ATV and KTM contingency. The Women lap me in an hour race and I can't keep the kids on 85CC insight for more than two corners.

1. Don't hold a pro license (tough to be called a pro when by the very definition of the AMA you're not)
2. Don't race full time.

You're wrong on 3 of your 4 points
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
8/1/2019 5:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2019 4:28am
haydos25 wrote:
So because he's faster than the rest of the 40+ crowd he should race with the 18 year olds? He's racing against other pros in all...
So because he's faster than the rest of the 40+ crowd he should race with the 18 year olds? He's racing against other pros in all his classes, what more can he do?
What other pros is he racing against in 40+? John Grewe and Barry Carsten wake up everyday and report to a day job. He wakes up everyday and focuses on training for whatever event Yamaha/FXR want him doing next.
agn5009
8/1/2019 5:18pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X

GrapeApe wrote:

moto0852 wrote:
Your argument doesn't hold water. I get "paid" to race. I'm 53 and race the WORCS 50+ C class. I make about $200 dollars every race...

2. Don't race full time.

You are a former pro and now race the C class? That’s.... interesting.
500guy
8/1/2019 5:19pm
GrapeApe wrote:
What other pros is he racing against in 40+? John Grewe and Barry Carsten wake up everyday and report to a day job. He wakes up...
What other pros is he racing against in 40+? John Grewe and Barry Carsten wake up everyday and report to a day job. He wakes up everyday and focuses on training for whatever event Yamaha/FXR want him doing next.
How many of the Supported AM's show up for anything besides moto camp?

While I agree Brown is a Pro but non Card holder Pro, He is within the rules.
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
8/1/2019 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2019 5:22pm
It’s comical that comes up every year. It’s always been this way. It’s per the rules. It’s not like theses guys are getting special treatment. Such a dumb discussion.

ANNNNDDDD- before anyone else can say it, yes. I am equally dumb for commenting.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
8/1/2019 5:23pm
GrapeApe wrote:
What other pros is he racing against in 40+? John Grewe and Barry Carsten wake up everyday and report to a day job. He wakes up...
So what regulations are you suggesting?

If you boot Browny from 40+ and John Grewe/Barry Carsten win, why shouldnt the guy who's never scored a pro point who finishes third complain about their status and get them booted out, after all they had their time in the sun in the 80's/90's

What about the independently wealthy guy who's retired and doesnt have to report to a 9-5 but wins the 45+ sportsman over the plumber or candlestick maker who finishes second, should he protest about not having enough time to prepare?

Post a reply to: Mike Brown @ LL

The Latest