Mike Alessi on YZ325 for MEC

haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
10/20/2019 10:38pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/10/20/380562/s1200_MEC_Race_2_Start_10_19_2019.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/10/20/380563/s1200_2019_10_20_20_22_05.jpg[/img]

We get it. Arguably the greatest starter in the history of the sport managed to enter the first turn in the top 8 once in an offseason exhibition race, in a field containing 1 rider from the top 10 of last years championship. What a marvel of modern engineering that bike must be.

Massive achievement. He also actually holeshot at Glen Helen on a 350cc. Throw that picture up next please.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
10/21/2019 4:13am Edited Date/Time 10/21/2019 4:14am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/10/20/380562/s1200_MEC_Race_2_Start_10_19_2019.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/10/20/380563/s1200_2019_10_20_20_22_05.jpg[/img]

Give it up already. It’s a cool bike but, it’s not competitive with 450’s.
bultokid
10/21/2019 4:34am
It's going to be funny listening to the 4t fan boys whine when the E-bikes replace them....and it's coming
Johnny Depp
10/21/2019 6:57am

CrGuy2T wrote:
Give it up already. It’s a cool bike but, it’s not competitive with 450’s.
Absolutely correct. So let's drop the rule right?

The Shop

10/21/2019 8:02am
Dungey and McElrath on factory KTM 300s at 2018 RBSR would be competitive.
Privateer454
10/21/2019 4:30pm
I don't get all the hate. Anything that drives innovation, competition, and some passion among it's spectators is a good thing for a sport.
mxb2
10/21/2019 7:44pm
bultokid wrote:
It's going to be funny listening to the 4t fan boys whine when the E-bikes replace them....and it's coming
Then what will the 2 stroke fanboys complain about then?
crowe176
10/22/2019 2:58am
15 year old bike with a bigger piston, super innovative.
Nick_Lalanne
10/22/2019 7:04am
crowe176 wrote:
15 year old bike with a bigger piston, super innovative.
The big bore kit is the ceo setup, it just came out less than a year ago. It’s a new piston cylinder and dome design. So yes it is innovative and new
Casting
10/22/2019 7:10am
Saw his interview with Swap "How was your weekend"

Alessi seems to be searching desperately for something to hang his hat on... talking about making history and a world first qualifying for MEC on a 2-stroke.... hate to say but I don't think anyone is going to be rushing to mark this in the record books.

Everyone else interviewed talked in a laid back and relaxed manner whereas Alessi was extremely serious and touting achievements. It's like he needs achievements and records to validate what he is doing.
GODZILLA
10/22/2019 12:29pm
The big bore kit is the ceo setup, it just came out less than a year ago. It’s a new piston cylinder and dome design. So...
The big bore kit is the ceo setup, it just came out less than a year ago. It’s a new piston cylinder and dome design. So yes it is innovative and new
An innovative and new way to get spanked.
Tongue
10/22/2019 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2019 6:20pm
The big bore kit is the ceo setup, it just came out less than a year ago. It’s a new piston cylinder and dome design. So...
GODZILLA wrote:
Tongue
You already got Spanked! Financially!
Unless you are a Pro or want to be, you were Ripped Off!
Not only did you spend way to much money, your rebuild cost are $1,109+, not real Smart!

If you don't care, that's ok. But the whole "Reason for me Posting is to provide an option!

Probably a Developed 450 2-Stroke would out Drag any 450-4-T, again for a lot less money! Rebuild cost $150 Piston, Rings and Gaskets.

But some of us don't believe in KISS!

Just like the Government, the AMA make it complex and Costly! Lol!
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
10/22/2019 6:22pm
GODZILLA wrote:
Tongue
You already got Spanked! Financially! Unless you are a Pro or want to be, you were Ripped Off! Not only did you spend way to much...
Not only did you spend way to much money, your rebuild cost are $1,109+, not real Smart!

If you don't care, that's ok. But the whole "Reason for me Posting is to provide an option!

Probably a Developed 450 2-Stroke would out Drag any 450-4-T, again for a lot less money! Rebuild cost $150 Piston, Rings and Gaskets.

Out drag? maybe. Out accelerate? not likely. On a hard packed baked supercross track with short run ups and minimal traction? not a chance.

All this is pointless. Alessi is a pro. So by your definition he should've been on a 4 stroke. He did himself a dis-service. The fact that they're making such a big deal about how well Mike performed on a 2 stroke is testament to them not being that great at a supercross level.
Johnny Depp
10/22/2019 6:41pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2019 6:43pm
GODZILLA wrote:
Tongue
You already got Spanked! Financially! Unless you are a Pro or want to be, you were Ripped Off! Not only did you spend way to much...

haydos25 wrote:
Out drag? maybe. Out accelerate? not likely. On a hard packed baked supercross track with short run ups and minimal traction? not a chance. All this...
Out drag? maybe. Out accelerate? not likely. On a hard packed baked supercross track with short run ups and minimal traction? not a chance.

All this is pointless. Alessi is a pro. So by your definition he should've been on a 4 stroke. He did himself a dis-service. The fact that they're making such a big deal about how well Mike performed on a 2 stroke is testament to them not being that great at a supercross level.
So you'd have no problem changing the rules back to even CC's I presume? Nothing to be scared of, they suck right?
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
10/22/2019 6:47pm

haydos25 wrote:
Out drag? maybe. Out accelerate? not likely. On a hard packed baked supercross track with short run ups and minimal traction? not a chance. All this...

So you'd have no problem changing the rules back to even CC's I presume? Nothing to be scared of, they suck right?
Scared of what? A rush of Eddie Sanders prepped YZ250's inundating professional racing?

You want them to make a rule to allow a bike that nobody makes to enter the class? Sure go for it?

FYI if we're changing rules back, the original rule allowed up to 550cc four stroke, lets go back to that since we're talking fantasy land
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
10/22/2019 6:56pm
Never ever gonna happen.
10/22/2019 7:28pm
CrGuy2T wrote:
Never ever gonna happen.
The OEM's are SCARED big time, if only 1 OEM develops a Contemporary 450 2-Stroke Transfer Port or Fuel Injection, the cost drop 40-50%!

There goes all the wasted money on Valves, Springs, Cams and the other 40+ extra parts that they have talked all the Suckers into buying!

The 2-Stroke FI or TPI is the ultimate Race machine!
Microprocessor Chips can Control the Linear Power almost perfectly, but the OEM's make more money off a 4-T engine.
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
10/22/2019 7:54pm
CrGuy2T wrote:
Never ever gonna happen.
The OEM's are SCARED big time, if only 1 OEM develops a Contemporary 450 2-Stroke Transfer Port or Fuel Injection, the cost drop 40-50%! There goes...
The OEM's are SCARED big time, if only 1 OEM develops a Contemporary 450 2-Stroke Transfer Port or Fuel Injection, the cost drop 40-50%!

There goes all the wasted money on Valves, Springs, Cams and the other 40+ extra parts that they have talked all the Suckers into buying!

Microprocessor Chips can Control the Linear Power almost perfectly, but the OEM's make more money off a 4-T engine.
The OEM's are scared of Eddie Sanders Racing 325 kit?

As you said, if an OEM build one then the costs drop 40-50% ( i highly doubt you numbers on this) Seems like their destiny is in their own hands with this one and they dont want to build one. What do they have to be scared about?

We get it, you like your bike. Doesnt mean its the best bike ever made. And the fact that Alessi managed to make the night show in a race that only 2 of the 6 factory teams deemed important enough to attend doesnt make your opinion anymore true.

10/22/2019 10:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2019 10:15pm
CrGuy2T wrote:
Never ever gonna happen.
The OEM's are SCARED big time, if only 1 OEM develops a Contemporary 450 2-Stroke Transfer Port or Fuel Injection, the cost drop 40-50%! There goes...

haydos25 wrote:
The OEM's are scared of Eddie Sanders Racing 325 kit? As you said, if an OEM build one then the costs drop 40-50% ( i highly...
The OEM's are scared of Eddie Sanders Racing 325 kit?

As you said, if an OEM build one then the costs drop 40-50% ( i highly doubt you numbers on this) Seems like their destiny is in their own hands with this one and they dont want to build one. What do they have to be scared about?

We get it, you like your bike. Doesnt mean its the best bike ever made. And the fact that Alessi managed to make the night show in a race that only 2 of the 6 factory teams deemed important enough to attend doesnt make your opinion anymore true.

OEM's are not scared of ESR, but they are scared of building anything bigger than a 300, such as a 350 or 400 because then they become very equal to a 450 4-T, Some guys have already opted for a 300 2-T vs a 450 4-T.

What happens if the option is given is most guys will say I don't need an expensive Ferrari I could use the 350/400 2-T. Then the OEM loses on parts sales, but the Industry will start to come back!

The industry is already dying because of expensive 4-T's, that's a fact.
10/22/2019 10:23pm
Jody's most important comment!

MXA Project
;

There are [b]two places on a racetrack where every rider—slow, fast, fat or thin—can use all the power [/b]his bike can deliver, and that is on the start and up a big hill. The rest of the time riders need the proper amount at the proper time. With data acquisition, the factory teams discovered that the throttles on their $100,000 works bikes were only turned wide open for 5 percent of the time on a Supercross track. I didn’t need a fire-breathing dragon. I ride those all the time. I wanted to ride my TE300i without every orifice in my body puckered up.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/im-not-a-garage-queen-kind-of-guy-mxas-f…
GODZILLA
10/23/2019 4:14am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2019 4:21am
There were lots of interesting things to read about 2 strokes after the RBSR, things that of course, none of the usual desperate 2 stroke ayatollahs cared to notice.
In the past, we've all read, after videos of pros riding 2s to make a little buzz on the net, answers to the question "How did you like it?", which most often than not, were something like "Man, that thing is fun but sooooo sloooooow!!!" and RBSR took that to a new level.
Everyone -and I mean everyone, from Roczen to Webb to Bowers to Catanzaro- underlined how blubbering, hard to set up, temperamental, unpredictable, imprecise their bikes were (which was easy to see ontrack) and how much easier and efficient their usual 4s were.
So much for the legend...

Anyone who likes riding a 2 stroke is fine by me.
But Tony, your proselytism is both dumb and unbearable.
You sound like a hopeless salesman spitting crap in the wind 'cause he knows he's gonna get fired if he doesn't sell 5 more before the month is over.
Go ride your bike and STFU.
Everybody's life will be happier and more SR kits will be sold without your painful drivel.
Wink
10/23/2019 4:54am
GODZILLA wrote:
There were lots of interesting things to read about 2 strokes after the RBSR, things that of course, none of the usual desperate 2 stroke ayatollahs...
There were lots of interesting things to read about 2 strokes after the RBSR, things that of course, none of the usual desperate 2 stroke ayatollahs cared to notice.
In the past, we've all read, after videos of pros riding 2s to make a little buzz on the net, answers to the question "How did you like it?", which most often than not, were something like "Man, that thing is fun but sooooo sloooooow!!!" and RBSR took that to a new level.
Everyone -and I mean everyone, from Roczen to Webb to Bowers to Catanzaro- underlined how blubbering, hard to set up, temperamental, unpredictable, imprecise their bikes were (which was easy to see ontrack) and how much easier and efficient their usual 4s were.

You sound like a hopeless salesman spitting crap in the wind 'cause he knows he's gonna get fired if he doesn't sell 5 more before the month is over.
Everybody's life will be happier and more SR kits will be sold without your painful drivel.
Wink
never ceases to amaze me the effort some will put in to bagging something or someone,
WHO
has no particular connection to.

guys proud of his bike, people love 2ts

get over it you sound like a nutjob.

ATKpilot99
10/23/2019 5:06am
GODZILLA wrote:
There were lots of interesting things to read about 2 strokes after the RBSR, things that of course, none of the usual desperate 2 stroke ayatollahs...

Wink
So someone is forcing you to click on this thread and read his painful drivel ?
KX500
10/23/2019 6:23am
I, for one, have found nothing that Tony has said here to be objectionable. Sure, he's gotten pretty deep into 'salesman' mode at times, but if you don't want what he is selling, tune out. As many sales pitches as we hear anymore, what is one more. At least what he is selling is interesting.

And I don't see anyplace in these pages where he ever said the YZ325 was going to blow away the 4 strokes. Pretty sure he was shooting for a competitive 2-stroke option and of course some publicity.

How competitive was the YZ325? Without Alessi turning laps on a 450 shortly after getting of the 325, we'll never really know how much faster/slower he was due to the bike.

Surely we can all understand that the cost of racing a dirt bike went up dramatically when 4 strokes took over.

I'm sure that is good for those who sell dirt bikes, but is that good for the sport? How many got priced out of racing?

And of course no manufacturer who sell 4 strokes is going to want a 2 stroke to appear as good as or better than their 4 stroke.

Ken Roczen also works in sales - what he does is supposed to sell dirt bikes. Is he really going to say a bike that his employer has no interest in making, was awesome? Maybe awesome compared to other 2 stokes, but compared to what his employer now offers. No, buy a CRF.

And the only thing I have against 4 stokes it the cost. I can't afford the cost to ride one.

But I can afford the cost to ride a 2 stroke. Simple as that.
AH387
10/23/2019 6:45am
For me, seeing Mike on the 2stroke was cool. I like Mike and it was nice to see someone qualify on a 2stroke. While I don't expect the industry to go over the top and act like it was historic, it is noteworthy. ESR built a nice bike that made a statement. Nothing to hate on there. Kudos to everyone involved. I actually wish the project would have received more attention. That being said, the manufacturers have likely made up their mind and the 2strokes are probably not in the future, as far as R&D. I would think by now, the focus has to be on getting electric up to par. It would be awesome if 2strokes were still in the mix, as I love 2strokes. Maybe with some R&D, they could be the preferred bikes again. But I just don't see that happening.
just James
10/23/2019 6:47am
I firmly believe that if, for example, KTM were to come out with a two stroke 450SX, they would sell a bunch of them. I don't think that most of the buyers would care that it couldn't be raced at the pro level. It would probably be a big hit with the paddle tire shod sand dune crowd, and other riders who will never even ride on a track, let alone race.
GODZILLA
10/23/2019 7:28am
AH387 wrote:
For me, seeing Mike on the 2stroke was cool. I like Mike and it was nice to see someone qualify on a 2stroke. While I don't...
For me, seeing Mike on the 2stroke was cool. I like Mike and it was nice to see someone qualify on a 2stroke. While I don't expect the industry to go over the top and act like it was historic, it is noteworthy. ESR built a nice bike that made a statement. Nothing to hate on there. Kudos to everyone involved. I actually wish the project would have received more attention. That being said, the manufacturers have likely made up their mind and the 2strokes are probably not in the future, as far as R&D. I would think by now, the focus has to be on getting electric up to par. It would be awesome if 2strokes were still in the mix, as I love 2strokes. Maybe with some R&D, they could be the preferred bikes again. But I just don't see that happening.
I really wonder what kind of a statement Alessi and that ESR bike made...
That both Mike and the 2 strokes glory days are long gone?
Laughing
AH387
10/23/2019 7:45am
AH387 wrote:
For me, seeing Mike on the 2stroke was cool. I like Mike and it was nice to see someone qualify on a 2stroke. While I don't...
GODZILLA wrote:
I really wonder what kind of a statement Alessi and that ESR bike made... That both Mike and the 2 strokes glory days are long gone...
I really wonder what kind of a statement Alessi and that ESR bike made...
That both Mike and the 2 strokes glory days are long gone?
Laughing
I suppose that is mildly funny, so good on you there..... But like I said, not trying to over-react, as it is not like the world was set on fire here. But seeing a 2stroke that would not normally be legal in AMA Pro racing, get a couple good starts, make the field and run similar times with fully built pro 450s is a cool thing. I don't expect any rules to be changed or manufacturers to change plans But it does at least show that 2strokes still could be an option for consumers, if 1 of those things were to happen. And if nothing else, it was just cool to see someone take advantage of the opportunity and put a 2 stroke into a pro race main, for people who like them. Is that so bad?

Post a reply to: Mike Alessi on YZ325 for MEC

The Latest