Mid Ohio VMD--race report

OldPro277
Edited Date/Time 7/29/2021 7:00am
So, for anyone that was there ,you already know it was another EPIC weekend of Vintage bikes and racing. The weather was almost perfect ,with a few rain showers each night, just enough to keep the tracks moist, tacky and dust free. I haven't an "official" body count , but I did hear that it was somewhere between 40,000 and 60,000 for the weekend. Swap meet was huge as usual and I was able to pick up a few pieces that I needed for this Fall/Winter builds. Notables that were there includes 4 time National Enduro Champ and AMA Hall of Famer Terry Cunningham, who still absolutely rips on his Husky on both the Cross Country and Moto tracks alike !! This guy is ridiculously smooth, never seen anything like it . Won his class handily in Cross Country and missed the Overall by only 70 seconds (over 100 entries)and was a VERY close 2nd overall in his Moto finish This dude is 62 ( I believe) and he handed it to a ton of 18-30 yo "A" riders. Amazing stuff. Former Flat track wizard and AMA Hall of Famer Dave Aldana was there but I don't think he raced. Mike Alessi was there as well, not sure in what capacity, as he didn't race but was just hanging out .

But now to the important stuff--- and forgive me for being a super proud dad and father-in-law but here is our family Hardware take. Since I'm sidelined with my ACL/MCL surgery pending, my daughter took over the family torch-----and won 3 National titles !!!!... Vintage Cross Country , Evo 3 Cross Country, and Womens Vintage Moto Cross, and got a VERY close 2nd in Evo 3 Moto(needed one more lap,lol)
My Son in law defended his Cross Country Title from 2019 in Vintage Cross country by winning his Vintage Open class and finished 14th overall out of 103. Finished 3rd in Evo2 when his Husky quit on the last lap. Had a few mechanical issues in Moto ,but still managed a 3-4 for a 4th overall in Evo 250 (on my 76 RM250A) and had his ignition wires on his Yz250 come unclipped while passing for the lead and the National title in moto 2 of the Revolution 2 Open --just glad that it wasn't me that put that one together,lol.
This was my wife and daughters first trip to VMD and it was certainly a memorable one !! I have just a few pics to post because its waay too difficult to watch them and take quality pics too.
One other fact that blew my mind about my daughters Vintage XCountry win. The womens row was last to take off, and she got a shit start, thusly going into the first turn in 103rd spot. She finished 41st overall meaning she passed 62 dudes during the hour long race. Not just surprising me , but she's really beginning to scare me a bit, too ,lol.. Congratulations to her and my son-in-law !!! Made Mom and I super proud !!! And to top it off , they are super nice kids

One last thing-- that bandage on her leg was because of the Noguchi pipe that gave her a 3rd degree burn-- didn't take her smile away though..although she is at the Doc's today getting treatment.

|
4DAIVIPAI2K5
7/28/2021 12:05pm
I seen pictures that the unicorn brigade was there lol
I have been up for a while I need to make it back.
OldPro277
7/28/2021 2:40pm
Not quite sure what that is but regardless,it was a fantastic time and it certainly should be on any moto heads list of things to attend. You go once, you’ll go back again
500 Mike
7/28/2021 3:10pm
Congrats to you and the family on a great weekend! I lived in Ohio for a long time but never attended this vintage weekend. Kicking myself now. First pro race I ever attended was at Mid-Ohio in '72 for the Trans-AMA. I was hooked ever since. I still have the cheezy painter's cap that they gave everyone as they came through the gate. Great memories.
JB 19
7/28/2021 3:39pm
I finished 1st place in 40+ Rev1 and Rev2 on my 96 CR250. This event is probably the largest around for pure motorcycle people. It's pretty unbelievable.

The Shop

neverwas
Fantasy
740th
7/28/2021 4:37pm
Looks like a great time,definetly on my bucket list.
OldPro277
7/28/2021 4:48pm
JB 19 wrote:
I finished 1st place in 40+ Rev1 and Rev2 on my 96 CR250. This event is probably the largest around for pure motorcycle people. It's pretty...
I finished 1st place in 40+ Rev1 and Rev2 on my 96 CR250. This event is probably the largest around for pure motorcycle people. It's pretty unbelievable.

I watched you JB , you rode great !! There are always super fast guys at this event. Winning any class at VMD is not an easy task. Very deserving of the #1 plates . Way to go
OldPro277
7/28/2021 4:54pm
Is there a class for a 04 cr125 ?
Yes, there are 4 different Revolution 2 classes you can run on Sunday only, Including a +40
JB 19
7/28/2021 6:29pm
JB 19 wrote:
I finished 1st place in 40+ Rev1 and Rev2 on my 96 CR250. This event is probably the largest around for pure motorcycle people. It's pretty...

OldPro277 wrote:
I watched you JB , you rode great !! There are always super fast guys at this event. Winning any class at VMD is not an...
I watched you JB , you rode great !! There are always super fast guys at this event. Winning any class at VMD is not an easy task. Very deserving of the #1 plates . Way to go
Thanks. Looks like you guys had a great time as well.
fatcat
7/28/2021 7:57pm
We were there and had a great time. I won my 60+ class in cross country on Friday. Grabbed two 2nd's in 50+ & 60+ on Saturday and finished 3rd 50+ & 4th 60+ on Sunday. Racing with legends like Denny Swartz, Terry Cunningham & Bob Bean was a real challenge but so much fun. I introduced myself to JB19 at the podium as he was collecting his wins, so that was cool. It was great seeing old friends and I'll definitely be going back next year!
OldPro277
7/29/2021 7:00am
Sprew wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/07/28/503280/s1200_20119.jpg[/img] That is a great pic.

That is a great pic.
Thanks, it definitely a cool one. I can't take credit for it though, it was sent to me by a friend that saw it on the AMA instagram/facebook or one of those social media platforms. It must have been taken by one of the Pro Photogs that were there
JB 19
7/29/2021 10:56am
fatcat wrote:
We were there and had a great time. I won my 60+ class in cross country on Friday. Grabbed two 2nd's in 50+ & 60+ on...
We were there and had a great time. I won my 60+ class in cross country on Friday. Grabbed two 2nd's in 50+ & 60+ on Saturday and finished 3rd 50+ & 4th 60+ on Sunday. Racing with legends like Denny Swartz, Terry Cunningham & Bob Bean was a real challenge but so much fun. I introduced myself to JB19 at the podium as he was collecting his wins, so that was cool. It was great seeing old friends and I'll definitely be going back next year!
I think at these events the older the the age group the more stacked the class. That 60+ class was hauling ass. It's always cool to meet a Vital member in the wild.
OldPro277
7/29/2021 11:14am
fatcat wrote:
We were there and had a great time. I won my 60+ class in cross country on Friday. Grabbed two 2nd's in 50+ & 60+ on...
JB 19 wrote:
I think at these events the older the the age group the more stacked the class. That 60+ class was hauling ass. It's always cool to...
I think at these events the older the the age group the more stacked the class. That 60+ class was hauling ass. It's always cool to meet a Vital member in the wild.
Yes it does-- +60 class usually has the most entries and contain some of the fastest dudes there. Us old guys can still get around the track from time to time, lol
4DAIVIPAI2K5
7/29/2021 1:25pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Not quite sure what that is but regardless,it was a fantastic time and it certainly should be on any moto heads list of things to attend...
Not quite sure what that is but regardless,it was a fantastic time and it certainly should be on any moto heads list of things to attend. You go once, you’ll go back again
Unicorn brigade is what my 10year old calls the group of young ladies that cruise around on one or more pit bikes with unicorn bicycle helmets on. They always seem to be having a fun time and I chuckle when I see them. The picture I saw I think had 3-4 on a single pitter lol.
OldPro277
7/29/2021 1:34pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2021 1:42pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Not quite sure what that is but regardless,it was a fantastic time and it certainly should be on any moto heads list of things to attend...
Unicorn brigade is what my 10year old calls the group of young ladies that cruise around on one or more pit bikes with unicorn bicycle helmets...
Unicorn brigade is what my 10year old calls the group of young ladies that cruise around on one or more pit bikes with unicorn bicycle helmets on. They always seem to be having a fun time and I chuckle when I see them. The picture I saw I think had 3-4 on a single pitter lol.
Ahhhhh--- unfortunately I did not see them, however I did see a lot of even stranger things,lmao. You being a veteran of the event,I'm sure you have too.

By the way, I forgot to mention that the AMA boys erected a huge ( 40' ?) screen on the "grassy knoll" by the finish area of the moto track and played the movie "On Any Sunday" Saturday night in its entirety. Pretty cool
MyBobbym
7/29/2021 1:39pm
OldPro277 wrote:
So, for anyone that was there ,you already know it was another EPIC weekend of Vintage bikes and racing. The weather was almost perfect ,with a...
So, for anyone that was there ,you already know it was another EPIC weekend of Vintage bikes and racing. The weather was almost perfect ,with a few rain showers each night, just enough to keep the tracks moist, tacky and dust free. I haven't an "official" body count , but I did hear that it was somewhere between 40,000 and 60,000 for the weekend. Swap meet was huge as usual and I was able to pick up a few pieces that I needed for this Fall/Winter builds. Notables that were there includes 4 time National Enduro Champ and AMA Hall of Famer Terry Cunningham, who still absolutely rips on his Husky on both the Cross Country and Moto tracks alike !! This guy is ridiculously smooth, never seen anything like it . Won his class handily in Cross Country and missed the Overall by only 70 seconds (over 100 entries)and was a VERY close 2nd overall in his Moto finish This dude is 62 ( I believe) and he handed it to a ton of 18-30 yo "A" riders. Amazing stuff. Former Flat track wizard and AMA Hall of Famer Dave Aldana was there but I don't think he raced. Mike Alessi was there as well, not sure in what capacity, as he didn't race but was just hanging out .

But now to the important stuff--- and forgive me for being a super proud dad and father-in-law but here is our family Hardware take. Since I'm sidelined with my ACL/MCL surgery pending, my daughter took over the family torch-----and won 3 National titles !!!!... Vintage Cross Country , Evo 3 Cross Country, and Womens Vintage Moto Cross, and got a VERY close 2nd in Evo 3 Moto(needed one more lap,lol)
My Son in law defended his Cross Country Title from 2019 in Vintage Cross country by winning his Vintage Open class and finished 14th overall out of 103. Finished 3rd in Evo2 when his Husky quit on the last lap. Had a few mechanical issues in Moto ,but still managed a 3-4 for a 4th overall in Evo 250 (on my 76 RM250A) and had his ignition wires on his Yz250 come unclipped while passing for the lead and the National title in moto 2 of the Revolution 2 Open --just glad that it wasn't me that put that one together,lol.
This was my wife and daughters first trip to VMD and it was certainly a memorable one !! I have just a few pics to post because its waay too difficult to watch them and take quality pics too.
One other fact that blew my mind about my daughters Vintage XCountry win. The womens row was last to take off, and she got a shit start, thusly going into the first turn in 103rd spot. She finished 41st overall meaning she passed 62 dudes during the hour long race. Not just surprising me , but she's really beginning to scare me a bit, too ,lol.. Congratulations to her and my son-in-law !!! Made Mom and I super proud !!! And to top it off , they are super nice kids

One last thing-- that bandage on her leg was because of the Noguchi pipe that gave her a 3rd degree burn-- didn't take her smile away though..although she is at the Doc's today getting treatment.

That is tight my friend... Kudos to all
OldPro277
7/29/2021 1:43pm
OldPro277 wrote:
So, for anyone that was there ,you already know it was another EPIC weekend of Vintage bikes and racing. The weather was almost perfect ,with a...

MyBobbym wrote:
That is tight my friend... Kudos to all
Thanks Bobby

Post a reply to: Mid Ohio VMD--race report

The Latest