MicroBlueRacing treatment

tzmike
12/19/2019 3:42am
Looking for feedback on the micro blue treatment done on crank components, trans etc. A supposed treatment that will not "flake" away and optimizes friction lowering.
Intending to send rod,lower rod pin,thrust washers and bearing for treatment since ceramic crank roller bearing is not offered. The rest of the engine will be receiving all ceramic bearings for the absolute minimum friction loss.
Anyone to provide info either good or bad appreciated
|
Dtat720
12/19/2019 4:12am
Ive been treating bearings for about 9 years now with this process. Absolutely worth the investment. I have done several mx bikes, not just engine internals, but all bearings on a bike. Talk to mxdad140 about his yz460 and the difference it made on his bike, night and day.

Years ago we ran tests for Brian Herta on his Indycar program. They had oil starvation issues in high g turns. Blued the transmission, everything inside. Ran 500 miles. Broke it down and every piece inside was mic'd. Breakdown was within .003 from spec when assembled. Prior to Ws2 treatment, they were having gears cold weld from heat and friction causing failures. Ws2 has eliminated those issues in racing now.
tzmike
12/19/2019 4:49am
Wow ! That's sold me. I will tell my guy that I have to pull trans and send that as well
Treating the ceramic bearings made them even better ? That is mindblowing
OldPro277
12/19/2019 10:18am
Dtat720 wrote:
Ive been treating bearings for about 9 years now with this process. Absolutely worth the investment. I have done several mx bikes, not just engine internals...
Ive been treating bearings for about 9 years now with this process. Absolutely worth the investment. I have done several mx bikes, not just engine internals, but all bearings on a bike. Talk to mxdad140 about his yz460 and the difference it made on his bike, night and day.

Years ago we ran tests for Brian Herta on his Indycar program. They had oil starvation issues in high g turns. Blued the transmission, everything inside. Ran 500 miles. Broke it down and every piece inside was mic'd. Breakdown was within .003 from spec when assembled. Prior to Ws2 treatment, they were having gears cold weld from heat and friction causing failures. Ws2 has eliminated those issues in racing now.
Dtat, we've talked about this before, but clarify for me please. I've bought and used Ws2/Tungsten Disulfide on a few projects, but is that what MicroBlue uses ? They never seem to use those terms on their website ,unless I've missed it somewhere. Am I correct in assuming that they do use Ws2 and just market/ Trademarked their treatment as " MicroBlue"?
Dtat720
12/19/2019 11:54am Edited Date/Time 12/19/2019 11:56am
Dtat720 wrote:
Ive been treating bearings for about 9 years now with this process. Absolutely worth the investment. I have done several mx bikes, not just engine internals...

OldPro277 wrote:
Dtat, we've talked about this before, but clarify for me please. I've bought and used Ws2/Tungsten Disulfide on a few projects, but is that what MicroBlue...
Dtat, we've talked about this before, but clarify for me please. I've bought and used Ws2/Tungsten Disulfide on a few projects, but is that what MicroBlue uses ? They never seem to use those terms on their website ,unless I've missed it somewhere. Am I correct in assuming that they do use Ws2 and just market/ Trademarked their treatment as " MicroBlue"?
Yes, as far as i know, they use the same grade i use. .05 micron grain. Standard grain you can buy online is .5-.6 micron and is effective, but to use in a pvd or vessel treatment right out of the bag, the standard size needs to be ground finer than .5 micron. It will "chunk" if its not as fine as possible.
The difference is, amazon for .5, $54 shipped. Distributor for .05 is $3,500 shipped. Thats per pound price. Biggest difference is size and purity, the standard stuff has a higher sulfer content vs pure high grade tungsten

The Shop

tzmike
12/19/2019 12:43pm
How do you apply it to the bearings ?
Microblue offers cylinder piston cam buckets etc
Curious as I'm technical sponge and love learning new tricks like this
I live for this stuff. Like the trick of bringing old hard intake boots back to original pliability using xylene and wintergreen oil.
tzmike
12/19/2019 12:45pm
I was thinking along the lines powder coating with positive and negative attraction type of scenario
Dtat720
12/19/2019 1:28pm
I do two methods depending on the time needed and the bearings intent. PVD, physical vapor deposition, ws2 is vaporized in a vacuum chamber and ionically applied to the substrate, or the vessel method, using an oil/ws2 mixture and having friction be the applicator and the oil as a vessel. The neat thing with tugsten disulfide in a vessel application is, even if an area chips, the mixture will reapply. It is not easy to remove or damage once its embedded in the substrate, rare that chipping will occur. But it will reapply itself and re-embed
Chopsalot
12/19/2019 4:18pm
What happens when you change your oil? Do you have to continuously reapply?
Dtat720
12/19/2019 4:34pm
Chopsalot wrote:
What happens when you change your oil? Do you have to continuously reapply?
No, the Ws2 embeds in the substrate, the metal balls and races. Once its embedded, its there.
piscokid
12/19/2019 4:37pm
tzmike wrote:
How do you apply it to the bearings ? Microblue offers cylinder piston cam buckets etc Curious as I'm technical sponge and love learning new tricks...
How do you apply it to the bearings ?
Microblue offers cylinder piston cam buckets etc
Curious as I'm technical sponge and love learning new tricks like this
I live for this stuff. Like the trick of bringing old hard intake boots back to original pliability using xylene and wintergreen oil.
wait, wait, What about the intake boots?

Post a reply to: MicroBlueRacing treatment

The Latest

The Latest