Michelin MX Tires......

Racer111
Edited Date/Time 2/20/2018 8:33am
I’ve been running them since about 2004. I don’t understand why they have such a small presence with all the teams. I don’t even know if there is a team that runs them.

Does Dunlop and Bridgestone have a monopoly on SX/MX or is it that other than the Starcross, Michelin doesn’t offer several different tires for a variety of conditions? I think the Suzuki factory team back with Pastrana and Windham ran them, but that’s all I know of. I think they are amazing tires. I came from the Dunlop 756 when I tried the original Starcross tires. You’d go through 2 756 rear tires to 1 Michelin.

Anyone else run the new Starcross 5’s? I run the Starcross 5 mediums.
|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
2/18/2018 8:00pm
Racer111 wrote:
I’ve been running them since about 2004. I don’t understand why they have such a small presence with all the teams. I don’t even know if...
I’ve been running them since about 2004. I don’t understand why they have such a small presence with all the teams. I don’t even know if there is a team that runs them.

Does Dunlop and Bridgestone have a monopoly on SX/MX or is it that other than the Starcross, Michelin doesn’t offer several different tires for a variety of conditions? I think the Suzuki factory team back with Pastrana and Windham ran them, but that’s all I know of. I think they are amazing tires. I came from the Dunlop 756 when I tried the original Starcross tires. You’d go through 2 756 rear tires to 1 Michelin.

Neither Michelin nor Bridgestone offer support at Supercross or outdoor nationals, and haven't for years...especially Michelin, they've been out of it forever.

Only Dunlop and Pirelli offer support and product at the races, and Dunlop's support is much larger in size to Pirelli.

The current Michelin product is very good. I quite like the Starcross 5 medium rear and soft front, also love the Dunlops MX3S though.
Racer111
2/18/2018 8:05pm
Racer111 wrote:
I’ve been running them since about 2004. I don’t understand why they have such a small presence with all the teams. I don’t even know if...

ML512 wrote:
Neither Michelin nor Bridgestone offer support at Supercross or outdoor nationals, and haven't for years...especially Michelin, they've been out of it forever. Only Dunlop and Pirelli...
Neither Michelin nor Bridgestone offer support at Supercross or outdoor nationals, and haven't for years...especially Michelin, they've been out of it forever.

Only Dunlop and Pirelli offer support and product at the races, and Dunlop's support is much larger in size to Pirelli.

The current Michelin product is very good. I quite like the Starcross 5 medium rear and soft front, also love the Dunlops MX3S though.
My new KX250F came with the Dunlop MX3S.
I swapped out the rear for a 110/90/19 MX3S. I’m going to give them a shot and see how I like them. If not, back to the Starcross.

The Shop

BobPA
2/18/2018 8:12pm
Racer111 wrote:

ML512 wrote:
Neither Michelin nor Bridgestone offer support at Supercross or outdoor nationals, and haven't for years...especially Michelin, they've been out of it forever. Only Dunlop and Pirelli...

Racer111 wrote:
My new KX250F came with the Dunlop MX3S. I swapped out the rear for a 110/90/19 MX3S. I’m going to give them a shot and see...
My new KX250F came with the Dunlop MX3S.
I swapped out the rear for a 110/90/19 MX3S. I’m going to give them a shot and see how I like them. If not, back to the Starcross.
I am also a Michelin die hard. My 2017 Katoom came with the MX3S. They work great when new, but their performance falls of very quickly. My front MX3S shed knobs off like crazy, even at the recommended 13.5 PSI.
Doddy
2/18/2018 11:20pm
I am very happy with my Starcross mediums. Impressed by how long they last riding offroad.
Turbojez
2/19/2018 3:29am
+1 for Michelins. Awesome and very predictable tires. I run soft front and medium rear on a 250 Smoker.
Dunlop MX3S has a slight advantage in performance but IMO Michelins outweight it with durability.
Tuna
2/19/2018 4:39am
Another vote for SC5’s.
The front is a fantastic tire, rear is great as well.
I run soft front medium rear on my 2nd set of rims. Very light and comfortable tire. Actually went stiffer on my fork after running the front.
billyp330
2/19/2018 6:30am
ML512 wrote:

that's probably because you don't have to pay for a new set of them every 2 rides like us normal weekend warriors would lol

IMO Dunlop's are the greatest tire you can buy for 1 or maybe 2 rides, then they are junk. The Starcross's (currently running the mediums) are the better overall tire. Initial hook up probably isn't quite as good as a new Dunlop, but they last way longer. Someone said twice as long but I disagree, id say more like 3 or 4 times longer then a Dunlop.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
2/19/2018 6:47am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 6:50am
ML512 wrote:

billyp330 wrote:
that's probably because you don't have to pay for a new set of them every 2 rides like us normal weekend warriors would lol IMO Dunlop's...
that's probably because you don't have to pay for a new set of them every 2 rides like us normal weekend warriors would lol

IMO Dunlop's are the greatest tire you can buy for 1 or maybe 2 rides, then they are junk. The Starcross's (currently running the mediums) are the better overall tire. Initial hook up probably isn't quite as good as a new Dunlop, but they last way longer. Someone said twice as long but I disagree, id say more like 3 or 4 times longer then a Dunlop.
Oooo, nice jab. Actually I have to buy tires fairly often, I don't get any for free unless they're for a bike I'm going to shoot. So I buy more tires than we get for free.

On our CRF450R, I had 16 hours on the rear MX3S that I just swapped out, front is still onboard with 19 hours.
2/19/2018 8:12am
I don't understand the bad comments about Dunlop durability. In my experience the MX3S tires last as long as Michelins.
2/19/2018 8:17am
I love Michelins, they are a lot easier to mount too because the sidewalls aren't as stiff or rigid.
2/19/2018 8:54am
I only ride sand but my Dunlops last forever. I've already put 32 hours on my Dunlop MX3S front and knobbies are still sharp and all of them are on there. I've also put 30 hours on a Dunlop MX11 rear and it was still good to go. I had to put on a new rim though so I had to take the tire off and while it was off I figured I might as well put a new tire on. Changed it for the new MX12 rear. The MX11 I took off will be going on my spare wheels.
OldHalfway
2/19/2018 10:02am
I've been running the S12 front and rear for woods/harescrambles in South Jersey at approx 11psi. I love them.
Tuna
2/19/2018 10:34am
OldHalfway wrote:
I've been running the S12 front and rear for woods/harescrambles in South Jersey at approx 11psi. I love them.
Ditch those relics and try a Starcross 5, can’t even compare the two. S12 is being discontinued, SC will be the replacement.
BobPA
2/19/2018 10:40am
ML512 wrote:
Oooo, nice jab. Actually I have to buy tires fairly often, I don't get any for free unless they're for a bike I'm going to shoot...
Oooo, nice jab. Actually I have to buy tires fairly often, I don't get any for free unless they're for a bike I'm going to shoot. So I buy more tires than we get for free.

On our CRF450R, I had 16 hours on the rear MX3S that I just swapped out, front is still onboard with 19 hours.
15.3 hours....My riding friends, who all bought Austrian bikes this year, saw similar results.

Stuntman949
2/20/2018 7:43am
Just ordered my first Michelin set EVER yesterday. Nice PR by PulpMx, Randy Richardson and Keefer. Trying out the SC5 Mediums both front and rear on my YZ250. I've been a die-hard Maxxis guy forever, but they're always a bitch to mount.
Jake_CR250R
2/20/2018 8:33am
I love the Starcross 5's for Moto. It's a great long lasting tire.

Post a reply to: Michelin MX Tires......

The Latest