Methods to sale...

montesagold
I know this question sounds redundant in today's age where so many options are available but what is everyone's preferred method to sale a used race bike? I'm not one to typically buy and sale often, in the past I have typically sold via word of mouth to another woods racer waiting for my bike to be available. I'm trying to help my girlfriends son sale a meticulously maintained 250f with very low hours but considering the used market on small bore two strokes is kinda sickening I'm not sure the best route to go. Would rather deal with guys that are in the know like on this forum rather than every joe blow tire kicking on craigslist.
|
Starcrossed
12/6/2016 2:55am
Love it or hate it, CL is the place to go. Local audience, free listing, and everybody looks there. Dealing with the riff raff is part of the fun of selling used property. Grinning
12/6/2016 3:51am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2016 3:52am
Gumtree (Australia's Craigslist... we have Craigslist but no one uses it) is the cheapest way to sell anything. Just set your price and wait. Putting up with the poor offers is annoying but eventually you'll get a good bite.

I sold a 1999 CRM250 for $400 more than I paid for it by just having it listed at an inflated price. Eventually someone wanted it. I sold my first road bike for exactly what I paid for it 6 years ago buy just waiting. I even have my CR125 up but the price is what it is worth for a bike that is 100% rebuilt and like new. Just hold your ground.
IWreckALot
12/6/2016 4:49am
Dealing with craigslist isn't too bad. When people text you about price first thing, just ignore them. If they start by asking about the bike and for more details, those are the guys you want to talk to.

What bike is it? H, Y, S, Ka, or KT?
Idaho747
12/6/2016 4:53am
The other think if Facebook for sale pages. We have better luck up here doing that than Craigslist most times.

The Shop

SweetDaddy
12/6/2016 7:07am
Just sold a KTM 250 smoker on CL - first guy to see it bought it for listed price - no issues.
ufsx459
12/6/2016 7:10am
Craigslist is the way to go, you will get a few less than ideal people but your also much more likely to find a buyer.
12/6/2016 7:14am
I usually don't have much trouble selling bikes, but my 2003 yz250 is not getting much attention right now. Its really starting to get annoying. I finally had a legit interest in my bike yesterday but the guy lives in Myrtle Beach, which is over 3 hours for me. I agreed to meet him halfway and he chooses a place 40 miles from him and 160 for me. The guy used every excuse in the book, so in the end I said either meet me halfway or we don't have a deal. Needless to say hes looking for another bike now. So craigslist can be a lot of fun....
Spooner
12/6/2016 7:22am
Sell. Craigslist and local forums work for me. And seriously, proper grammar makes a difference. I'm going to sound like a dick, but when I see a guy butcher his ad I assume he's an idiot and didn't take care of the bike. I realize you just made a simple mistake here but little things like that make a difference.
Wade221
12/6/2016 7:48am
I usually don't have much trouble selling bikes, but my 2003 yz250 is not getting much attention right now. Its really starting to get annoying. I...
I usually don't have much trouble selling bikes, but my 2003 yz250 is not getting much attention right now. Its really starting to get annoying. I finally had a legit interest in my bike yesterday but the guy lives in Myrtle Beach, which is over 3 hours for me. I agreed to meet him halfway and he chooses a place 40 miles from him and 160 for me. The guy used every excuse in the book, so in the end I said either meet me halfway or we don't have a deal. Needless to say hes looking for another bike now. So craigslist can be a lot of fun....
If I still lived in Pooler, that 03 would be mine, for sure! Loved my '03 after some valving changes
12/6/2016 7:52am
Spooner wrote:
Sell. Craigslist and local forums work for me. And seriously, proper grammar makes a difference. I'm going to sound like a dick, but when I see...
Sell. Craigslist and local forums work for me. And seriously, proper grammar makes a difference. I'm going to sound like a dick, but when I see a guy butcher his ad I assume he's an idiot and didn't take care of the bike. I realize you just made a simple mistake here but little things like that make a difference.
Almost had an aneurysm trying to read OP's post. I've also seen "For Sell".
12/6/2016 7:59am
I usually don't have much trouble selling bikes, but my 2003 yz250 is not getting much attention right now. Its really starting to get annoying. I...
Wade221 wrote:
If I still lived in Pooler, that 03 would be mine, for sure! Loved my '03 after some valving changes
Small world, I used to work at a car wash in pooler. Place is booming now, it's getting way to overcrowded. My 03 isn't a normal 03 either, I did the SSS swap along with quite a few other goodies
Wade221
12/6/2016 8:06am
Small world, I used to work at a car wash in pooler. Place is booming now, it's getting way to overcrowded. My 03 isn't a normal...
Small world, I used to work at a car wash in pooler. Place is booming now, it's getting way to overcrowded. My 03 isn't a normal 03 either, I did the SSS swap along with quite a few other goodies
That bubbles place on 80? Only auto car wash that fit lifted trucks! Went there at least once a week!

What's your asking price, btw?
12/6/2016 8:18am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2016 8:18am
Craigslist. It's all in how you word/advertise the bike. When I was selling my '06 KTM 250F, I specifically said "if you want a typical used $2,200 jap bike, there's plenty of them on here. Not this bike. Priced firm at $2,600" and thats exactly what I sold it for.

If you are willing to negotiate a little, I'd make the statement "Priced at $X,XXX.. Will ONLY negotiate in person". That should keep the "whats your lowest number" tire kickers at bay

Finally, saying "no texts, no emails - phone calls only" helps make sure anyone you're talking to isn't out to waste your time
12/6/2016 9:52am
Small world, I used to work at a car wash in pooler. Place is booming now, it's getting way to overcrowded. My 03 isn't a normal...
Wade221 wrote:
That bubbles place on 80? Only auto car wash that fit lifted trucks! Went there at least once a week!

No carwash express on pooler parkway, I haven't heard of bubbles. Probably went out of business, the only other carwash in the area that I remember off of 80 was only self serve bays and shut down after the city bought them out. I am asking $2600 and my firm price is $2500, which I know is high for that year model, but I have over $3500 in to the bike. Its not the most aesthetically appealing bike because I centered my attention on functionality over looks mainly because I could not afford all the bling. I tore the bike down to the frame and replaced every part that was worn and needed replacing, which turned out to be almost everythingBlink Here is my ad if you want to check it out
http://savannah.craigslist.org/mcy/5903418312.html
Wade221
12/6/2016 9:57am
Wade221 wrote:

No carwash express on pooler parkway, I haven't heard of bubbles. Probably went out of business, the only other carwash in the area that I remember...
No carwash express on pooler parkway, I haven't heard of bubbles. Probably went out of business, the only other carwash in the area that I remember off of 80 was only self serve bays and shut down after the city bought them out. I am asking $2600 and my firm price is $2500, which I know is high for that year model, but I have over $3500 in to the bike. Its not the most aesthetically appealing bike because I centered my attention on functionality over looks mainly because I could not afford all the bling. I tore the bike down to the frame and replaced every part that was worn and needed replacing, which turned out to be almost everythingBlink Here is my ad if you want to check it out
Yeah, that's the one I meant. Next to that sketchy Cats Eye Lounge place. Bubbles was a place in Hinesville, and I had them mixed up

I still have riding buddies in SAV. I will hit them up and see if they are in the market for a new project two-banger
DEMONDAVE
12/6/2016 9:57am
craigslists seems to be the best method however I will say meet in a public place unless to know the person .
when I sell something I make it the only thing they can / will see , a sheet of white plastic for a background works wonders to keep things in your garage from being in the background of pics.
big ticket items I have buyer meet me at my bank , tellers make good inspectors for fake cash.
12/6/2016 10:02am
I use Craigslist, offerup app and Facebook classifieds. I've had good luck with all three but with different items. My bikes sell the best on craigslist, bike parts and misc. things for sale i have better luck with offerup.
12/6/2016 10:03am
Wade221 wrote:
Yeah, that's the one I meant. Next to that sketchy Cats Eye Lounge place. Bubbles was a place in Hinesville, and I had them mixed up...
Yeah, that's the one I meant. Next to that sketchy Cats Eye Lounge place. Bubbles was a place in Hinesville, and I had them mixed up

I still have riding buddies in SAV. I will hit them up and see if they are in the market for a new project two-banger
What tracks did you used to ride at btw? Liveoakmx park was always my go to track back in the day until it closed last year. If that track was still open I wouldn't be selling my bike right now, but driving 2 hours to WW, dirt farm, alma etc. just isn't worth it for me anymore.
12/6/2016 10:04am
DEMONDAVE wrote:
craigslists seems to be the best method however I will say meet in a public place unless to know the person . when I sell something...
craigslists seems to be the best method however I will say meet in a public place unless to know the person .
when I sell something I make it the only thing they can / will see , a sheet of white plastic for a background works wonders to keep things in your garage from being in the background of pics.
big ticket items I have buyer meet me at my bank , tellers make good inspectors for fake cash.
the guy messaging me wanted to meet me at an abandoned park so he could ride the bike, I said no I only wanted to meet in a public parking lot. I understand he wants to test ride the bike, but that just aint going to work out for me
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
12/6/2016 10:18am
Wade221 wrote:

No carwash express on pooler parkway, I haven't heard of bubbles. Probably went out of business, the only other carwash in the area that I remember...
Put that black seat cover on and take new pictures. That red one looks awful.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
12/6/2016 10:18am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2016 10:22am
SweetDaddy wrote:
Just sold a KTM 250 smoker on CL - first guy to see it bought it for listed price - no issues.
Dahhhhh, its a KTM and a 2 stroke, course it will sell right away Wink

And always have plenty of pictures.. I skip right over the post with no pictures first. Adding a girl in a bikini works too. Unless you have a unique bike, skip eBay as well. Alot of local motocross race clubs have classifieds as well. I have sold bikes and trailers on these as well.

http://www.rmxa.org/ and http://www.srac.org/ are examples of my local clubs.
12/6/2016 10:25am
colintrax wrote:
Put that black seat cover on and take new pictures. That red one looks awful.
Hahaha yea I know I just haven't had the time. I'm graduating this weekend so hopefully I can fairly soon
moto314
12/6/2016 10:26am
I have never used craig's list, I have sold my last 4-5 bikes just on a local mx forum or by word of mouth.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
12/6/2016 10:38am
Spooner wrote:
Sell. Craigslist and local forums work for me. And seriously, proper grammar makes a difference. I'm going to sound like a dick, but when I see...
Completely agree. Grammar and punctuation matter. As a buyer, in general, not even moto specific, I look for ads where the seller knows what they're selling. Specifics about the mods and parts used, etc. give a lot of credibility.
12/6/2016 10:40am
I have only had luck on craigslist. Last bike I sold I wanted $9,000 for so I listed it at $9,500 obo, ended up selling for $9,200. Start 300-500 over what you want, they will make an offer.
12/6/2016 3:02pm
This sums up the kind of crap I've been dealing with trying to sell my bike on letgo, this guy gave me a great offerSick

montesagold
12/6/2016 9:17pm
I appreciate everyone's input, I keep up with a lot of facebook groups with the vintage stuff, anyone know of any pages in the southeast for used bikes? Craigslist is not so bad, you guys are right, it can be entertaining!
12/6/2016 10:21pm
Ive never sold a bike on CL, but i recently sold a damn near brand new fox v3 helmet for $25 less than my asking price, which was ok with me at that time. The kids first offer was less than half of what i was asking. I was patient and he would hit me up every friday with a different offer, eventually i sold it to him. I think the wait was worth it. That was my first experience dealing with a low baller like that

Post a reply to: Methods to sale...

The Latest