Metcalf racing WORCS on a Kawi

Randy_Nix
Edited Date/Time 3/30/2013 4:35pm
great to see Metcalf tearing it up again!

http://vurboffroad.com/videos/2013-worcs-havasu-recap/1547/
|
therealjonon
3/27/2013 5:17pm
cool. crazy to see after 2 hours he couldnt win.... shows how fast and how much talent is OUTSIDE ama sx and mx
fader418
3/27/2013 6:13pm
cool. crazy to see after 2 hours he couldnt win.... shows how fast and how much talent is OUTSIDE ama sx and mx
He is coming off a injury. If he was in racing shape he would kill those guys. They are fast but NONE of them can get top 15 in a national. Except for the # 3
CSherman48
3/27/2013 6:37pm
fader418 wrote:
He is coming off a injury. If he was in racing shape he would kill those guys. They are fast but NONE of them can get...
He is coming off a injury. If he was in racing shape he would kill those guys. They are fast but NONE of them can get top 15 in a national. Except for the # 3
NONE? I do believe Garrison was a consistant top 15 a few years ago outdoors when he was on Ty Davis Yamahas; with a best overall of 9th.

Just saying.
MtnBoy
3/27/2013 6:56pm
fader418 wrote:
He is coming off a injury. If he was in racing shape he would kill those guys. They are fast but NONE of them can get...
I disagree, I think Taylor Robert could for sure.

He was actually a Honda supported Amateur MX kid until he broke his back and took a long break...he went to some WORCS races for fun with his dad and about 6-7 years later he's the champ...kid has mad skills.

The Shop

RbR
3/27/2013 7:13pm
The was a very cool race recap ... Glad to see Metcalf riding well. I couldn't think of a better venue for Metcalf to train for the Nationals.
MT MX
3/27/2013 7:20pm
That's rad to see my Montana boy ,Gary Sutherlin, 2nd in points
TeamGreen
3/27/2013 7:49pm
2 hour race.

Robert & Bell are Bad-Asses.

Metty is jus' get tin' his groove back; hence, that huge smile you see him wearing in the vid.

Why...why do Moto-types think that they're soooooo superior to riders in other off-road disciplines?

I'll put it to you like this: ask MC or LaPorte who THEY think are the current "Bad-Asses"...

You're going to hear names like Caselli or Redmond or Robert...

I know, I know...

"But...But...that gut only did such-n-such at Washougal..." Or whatever...

Fine.

But, you go send JS7 or RV1 down to the Dakar or Baja...?

Good luck with that.

It's all jus'..."Different".

Me?

Biggest Bad Ass on a Bike?

Geoff Aaron.
3/27/2013 7:52pm
I wish those kind of races happened in my neck of the woods. That shit looks fun.
MtnBoy
3/27/2013 8:07pm
TeamGreen wrote:
2 hour race. Robert & Bell are Bad-Asses. Metty is jus' get tin' his groove back; hence, that huge smile you see him wearing in the...
2 hour race.

Robert & Bell are Bad-Asses.

Metty is jus' get tin' his groove back; hence, that huge smile you see him wearing in the vid.

Why...why do Moto-types think that they're soooooo superior to riders in other off-road disciplines?

I'll put it to you like this: ask MC or LaPorte who THEY think are the current "Bad-Asses"...

You're going to hear names like Caselli or Redmond or Robert...

I know, I know...

"But...But...that gut only did such-n-such at Washougal..." Or whatever...

Fine.

But, you go send JS7 or RV1 down to the Dakar or Baja...?

Good luck with that.

It's all jus'..."Different".

Me?

Biggest Bad Ass on a Bike?

Geoff Aaron.
x2
Trauma
3/27/2013 10:17pm
Badass, drops into their world and podiums. Still a lot of speed and fitness in Metty.
Sully
3/27/2013 10:54pm
Anyone else notice that Metty was takin' it old school and running 123 on his jersey?
SwapperMX
3/27/2013 11:26pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2013 11:28pm
I wish those kind of races happened in my neck of the woods. That shit looks fun.
Same man, looks so good. I'd be super keen to do some racing like that.

Funny that there is only half a dozen kids at the podium presentation. Not such a spectator friendly sport.
3/28/2013 12:33am
Sully wrote:
Anyone else notice that Metty was takin' it old school and running 123 on his jersey?
i did notice that. Wonder why he would still run 24 on his plates though?
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
3/28/2013 12:37am
Metty said he would be running the 123 up in Canada, maybe the 123 was already taken at the WORCS race?
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
3/28/2013 12:37am
SwapperMX wrote:
Same man, looks so good. I'd be super keen to do some racing like that. Funny that there is only half a dozen kids at the...

Funny that there is only half a dozen kids at the podium presentation. Not such a spectator friendly sport.
Ill see you at Hatta then this year Smile
SwapperMX
3/28/2013 2:17am
SwapperMX wrote:
Same man, looks so good. I'd be super keen to do some racing like that. Funny that there is only half a dozen kids at the...

aaryn #234 wrote:
Ill see you at Hatta then this year Smile
Haha nah, pass. Bit of a difference from that and a desert race. That just looked like a long motocross track.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
3/28/2013 3:33am
That is pretty much what Hattah looks like minus the Rocks, a 35Km Motocross track some of it in between trees, all sand or loam, when it rains leading in to the event it is riding heaven Smile , there are a few straights that a long, but that is the minority of the track Smile
SwapperMX
3/28/2013 3:58am
aaryn #234 wrote:
That is pretty much what Hattah looks like minus the Rocks, a 35Km Motocross track some of it in between trees, all sand or loam, when...
That is pretty much what Hattah looks like minus the Rocks, a 35Km Motocross track some of it in between trees, all sand or loam, when it rains leading in to the event it is riding heaven Smile , there are a few straights that a long, but that is the minority of the track Smile
Seriously. I envisaged something like riding across the Simpson desert. My interest just went up considerably. Thanks for the info.
IWreckALot
3/28/2013 4:46am
aaryn #234 wrote:
That is pretty much what Hattah looks like minus the Rocks, a 35Km Motocross track some of it in between trees, all sand or loam, when...
So are the WORCS tracks all 35Km? How many laps do they normally run? Or how long? Maybe I should just google it but I'm feeling lazy.

I feel pretty fortunate living in Texas. We have just about all the racing formats you can imagine and more tracks in the general area than it seems like in a lot of other areas in the country.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
3/28/2013 5:21am
Not sure on the WORCS Looking at the lap times for the weekend they were about 6 minutes so a lot shorter than the race i Australia I was talking about, just the look of the track was similar, Sany and about as wide as a MX track,

We follow the GNCC in the U.S as there are normally a few top Aussies and Kiwis in there, I think the GNCC loops / laps are a lot longer
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
3/28/2013 5:32am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
That footage was from last year 2012, it was the first year I have been there when it has been dry, the first lap was the scariest ride of my life. It was a 35K trail ride where 50% of the time you could not see past your front guard, the Go Pro footage does not do it justice lol, it was hectic.

The start is awesome, 330 bikes tool of in 2012 I think.

Couple of Video's of me from back in 2010, good for a laugh!

Hitting a Tree Branch

Hitting a Purple Husky

2012 Prologue lap (shortest one I have done)
Drfletcher
3/28/2013 6:40am
I raced it when Alessi and Metcalf raced back in 06. Tough race and definitely not a motocross track style.
Titan1
3/28/2013 10:03am
I've raced both moto and off road (neither of which at a pro level mind you), and nt my experience, dudes that are fast on dirt bikes are just plain fast on dirt bikes. Sure, they have their specialties, but with enough time and focus, they'll be fast at whatever discipline they focus on.

take Peelout, for example...most of you don't know him beyond his posts here....but that dude flies on a motocross track. He's done a few hare and hound events, and he goes fast there too! He didn't win them, but, if focused on them, there is little doubt in my mind he'd have been able to win them.

Didn't Henry win the Florida GNCC, once?

Didn't Pastrana almost win the Baja 500/1000 (one of them) until he had a mechanical less than 100 miles from the finish? (I believe he solo'd it as well).

Didn't Ricky Dietrich get some top 10's in the nationals the year he was the WORC champ?

Did Caselli have a couple of stage wins at the Dakar this past year?

Dudes that are fast on dirt bikes, are just plain fast on dirt bikes.

As for the baddest dude on a dirt bike...it terms of pure toughness, and technical skill...I'll look to the hard enduro's...dudes like Taddy Blazusiack, Knight, Graham Jarvis, etc...(But I have a bias to the offroad stuff.)
daveoevo
3/28/2013 11:43am
Titan1 wrote:
I've raced both moto and off road (neither of which at a pro level mind you), and nt my experience, dudes that are fast on dirt...
I've raced both moto and off road (neither of which at a pro level mind you), and nt my experience, dudes that are fast on dirt bikes are just plain fast on dirt bikes. Sure, they have their specialties, but with enough time and focus, they'll be fast at whatever discipline they focus on.

take Peelout, for example...most of you don't know him beyond his posts here....but that dude flies on a motocross track. He's done a few hare and hound events, and he goes fast there too! He didn't win them, but, if focused on them, there is little doubt in my mind he'd have been able to win them.

Didn't Henry win the Florida GNCC, once?

Didn't Pastrana almost win the Baja 500/1000 (one of them) until he had a mechanical less than 100 miles from the finish? (I believe he solo'd it as well).

Didn't Ricky Dietrich get some top 10's in the nationals the year he was the WORC champ?

Did Caselli have a couple of stage wins at the Dakar this past year?

Dudes that are fast on dirt bikes, are just plain fast on dirt bikes.

As for the baddest dude on a dirt bike...it terms of pure toughness, and technical skill...I'll look to the hard enduro's...dudes like Taddy Blazusiack, Knight, Graham Jarvis, etc...(But I have a bias to the offroad stuff.)
Coming from a mx back round I have made the mistake of writing off the off road guys as slow mx riders.
And how wrong I am. I raced in a 3 hour beach race years ago and knight was racing a YZ 250 and he came past me at the two and half hour mark like it was a 3 lap heat race.
Those off road guys go fast all day.
bigborefan
3/30/2013 4:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/30/2013 4:38pm
IIMO moto guys are fast because of their aggression and corner speed. Off road is tough, no doubt, It can be as tough mentally as physically. And the moto guys don't always move over and dominate, but a lot of them do. Ty Davis and Rodney Smith made the move pretty successfully.

Juha Salminen was/is a bad man on a dirtbike. One year when he dominated GNNC the only practice he did was moto.

If I were building an offroad rider from a young age. I would start him in trials where he would get the balance and bike handling skills, then move to moto for the aggression, then move to offroad.

But like somebody said, fast motorcycle riders are fast motorcycle riders.

I wonder what a top tier GNCC rider makes compared to a guy finishing 10-20 in AMA SX/MX?

Glad to see Metty back, I like him.

Post a reply to: Metcalf racing WORCS on a Kawi

The Latest