Meta article about Jason Lawrence

make1go
3/7/2018 2:31am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2018 2:35am
Turbojez wrote:
If you were in a position, where you had a contract with KTM, and you could either spend *30-50K on a bike, or ask for one...
If you were in a position, where you had a contract with KTM, and you could either spend *30-50K on a bike, or ask for one to ride, which option would you choose?

*- guesstimate on a bike, suspension, and other goodies to make it meet RD's expectations.
Other than suspension he should easily be comfortable on a stock bike cruising laps for fun..
Seems a marketing opirtunity hey after years on unobtanium our most decorated US rider rides stock.
What ml posted says to me is he wouldnt bother riding if he couldnt get the red carpet..
And that is just imo and could be wrong..
3/7/2018 5:11am
Love JLaw pics. This thread needs more of them.

Maybe GuyB has some good ones...
Beeby
3/7/2018 6:40am
make1go wrote:
Other than suspension he should easily be comfortable on a stock bike cruising laps for fun.. Seems a marketing opirtunity hey after years on unobtanium our...
Other than suspension he should easily be comfortable on a stock bike cruising laps for fun..
Seems a marketing opirtunity hey after years on unobtanium our most decorated US rider rides stock.
What ml posted says to me is he wouldnt bother riding if he couldnt get the red carpet..
I’d imagine it’s down to a few things: a) all those sponsors that are part of the bike with various parts would still want him seen with there parts and b) he asks to borrow the bike i imagine he turned up to it ready to ride, rode it and gave it back.

I don’t see him washing it and changing a filter
ML512
Fantasy
36th
3/7/2018 6:54am
ML512 wrote:
Depends how you label marketability because there's almost no brand in the sport that would want to touch him at this point. As for Dungey, the...
Depends how you label marketability because there's almost no brand in the sport that would want to touch him at this point.

As for Dungey, the dude loves riding still. KTM guys were joking the other day how he called up Carlos during the West swing and was begging to get a bike just so he could go ride Supercross a couple days that week, so they got Morais test bike ready for him to burn motos on...just cause.
make1go wrote:
Why does a guy with a ton of money and contacts have to loan a bike? Seems he could own one there and loan it out...
Why does a guy with a ton of money and contacts have to loan a bike? Seems he could own one there and loan it out to others...cause you know for 'us' if we love riding we have to work to buy then own to ride.
I geuss after so many years of being pandered to you expect privilege..
Not saying dunge is a bad guy but ive seen that style plenty and always went hmmmm.
Umm the dude has been traveling like crazy with his wife since he retired, then came out West for the opening rounds where he doesn’t own a home anymore...let alone why would he own a bike out here???

He hit up the team he still is associated with and won many titles for to ride for the day and you know they would’ve liked his feedback on what they have right now so they set him up with a bike to ride for a few days....

As far as I’m aware, he has motorcycles at home...including an Adventure bike.

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
36th
3/7/2018 6:56am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2018 6:56am
Turbojez wrote:
If you were in a position, where you had a contract with KTM, and you could either spend *30-50K on a bike, or ask for one...
If you were in a position, where you had a contract with KTM, and you could either spend *30-50K on a bike, or ask for one to ride, which option would you choose?

*- guesstimate on a bike, suspension, and other goodies to make it meet RD's expectations.
make1go wrote:
Other than suspension he should easily be comfortable on a stock bike cruising laps for fun.. Seems a marketing opirtunity hey after years on unobtanium our...
He wanted to ride Supercross and the team wanted to hear his feedback on what they’ve got right now. Geez...talk about automatically going to the worst thoughts about someone. From what little I’ve seen of your posting on here, you’re one negative cat.
Ozzy
3/7/2018 8:18am
I liked him, believed in him.
I cold called his Agent, who I was friendly with.
I was at a loss..the Mothership at the time said NO to every1 of my picks.
Theirs sucked.
No 1 worth a shit was left to choose from.
I risked my job & reputation hiring him.
I knew I was right & he proved them all wrong.
The rest is History.
tp4
3/7/2018 8:32am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2018 8:33am
Love JLaw pics. This thread needs more of them. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/07/247938/s1200_lawrence_anaheim1_cox_2009_043.jpg[/img] Maybe GuyB has some good ones...
Love JLaw pics. This thread needs more of them.

Maybe GuyB has some good ones...
another...from a new jersey dude..once way back when.
3/7/2018 8:34am
Turbojez wrote:

make1go wrote:
ML512 wrote:
He wanted to ride Supercross and the team wanted to hear his feedback on what they’ve got right now. Geez...talk about automatically going to the worst...
He wanted to ride Supercross and the team wanted to hear his feedback on what they’ve got right now. Geez...talk about automatically going to the worst thoughts about someone. From what little I’ve seen of your posting on here, you’re one negative cat.
Cmon ML....nobody is sayin dungey is a squid. Or sucks.

We chalk life up to accomplishments but what if it’s more than that ? Jlaw is living life how he wants. Dungey wanted to live that road....I bet he was more stressed out than Lawrence will ever be. That’s all I’m saying. Lawrence has had that attitude and been that way his whole life and still was able to whip peoples assess off the couch. That talent you can’t discount.

We know know dungey is a hard worker and you can’t discount that either. These two show that on both ends of the spectrum you can be famous with as little or as much stress as you want to endure.
Flatliner
3/7/2018 8:48am
make1go wrote:
ML512 wrote:
He wanted to ride Supercross and the team wanted to hear his feedback on what they’ve got right now. Geez...talk about automatically going to the worst...
Cmon ML....nobody is sayin dungey is a squid. Or sucks. We chalk life up to accomplishments but what if it’s more than that ? Jlaw is...

We chalk life up to accomplishments but what if it’s more than that ? Jlaw is living life how he wants. Dungey wanted to live that road....I bet he was more stressed out than Lawrence will ever be. That’s all I’m saying. Lawrence has had that attitude and been that way his whole life and still was able to whip peoples assess off the couch. That talent you can’t discount.

We know know dungey is a hard worker and you can’t discount that either. These two show that on both ends of the spectrum you can be famous with as little or as much stress as you want to endure.
Different strokes man. Guys like dungey and RV have generational money. Kids are set for college , and very well set for life , as a family. I seriously doubt one title and some monster, and am-pm money did that for Jason.

In the end two of the guys I mentioned are on the Mount Rushmore of Moto, and the other guy is a footnote who had one really good year, and a few other good rides. He also screwed his mechanic out of a bunch of money rolling a rental car.
3/7/2018 9:06am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2018 9:08am
BobbyM wrote:
Fucking ten years ago, the rider he "powned" is a multi millionaire and fucking retired today, yea jlaw was a boss. Lmao
agn5009 wrote:
Hard work and determination will always beat the bro lifestyle. Young kids should take note.
jemcee wrote:
Although I'm a Jlaw fan I like this quote and it fits

'Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard'
Funny thing is tho, JLaw was a hard worker.

His issues werent talent or work ethic. They were more personal. What made him great at getting in the heads of Dungeybot & Villobot, was also his own undoing.
Premixed112
3/7/2018 9:10am
Cmon ML....nobody is sayin dungey is a squid. Or sucks. We chalk life up to accomplishments but what if it’s more than that ? Jlaw is...

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" is too perfect of a quote in response to your post.
Forty
3/7/2018 9:14am

ML512
Fantasy
36th
3/7/2018 9:14am
make1go wrote:
ML512 wrote:

My response to make1go has nothing to do with J-Law, it’s squarely pointed at his negative comments towards Dungey that are quite stretched in my opinion.
peelout
3/7/2018 9:24am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2018 9:25am
JLaw threads never fail to bring out the salty bitches of the sport
MHR401
3/7/2018 9:27am
Dungey and Villopoto are multiple champions and JLAW flamed out and faded away......history has been written! can we stop overrating the Lawrence story now??
Forty
3/7/2018 9:34am

Heheh.

Asimo
3/7/2018 9:37am
Maybe he just didn't want to race anymore and quit sooner than most?

What if RV quit in say 2012 or Dungey in 2014? Or earlier?
3/7/2018 10:14am
I clicked on this thread to read about Jennifer Lawrence. Fuck this.
3/7/2018 10:35am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2018 10:36am
Some people think championships are more important than memorable moments in MX, but I'd have to disagree. JLaw was all about the moment. Obviously he squandered more than a few while in the public eye. Makes him more memorable.

One particular thing I recall happened during practice for a 450 national at Millville. The racers were arranged two by two in a line stretching from next to the starting gate all the way back to the pits. All of the sudden Lawrence starts revving his bike and shoving everyone out of the way. He did this until he made it to the front of the line, after which he rode a few laps and pulled off. I'd heard that the night before he won the 50 race and went on a bender with the local fans. He didn't even line up for the official Motos.
mark_swart
3/7/2018 12:29pm
What really stood out to me was the section about him playing mind games with Dungey. From that perspective, Dungey may even owe J-Law a bit of gratitude for his mental strength in the years and championships that followed. J-Law got under his skin in 2008, but after that I think Ryan recognized it as a weakness and committed himself to never letting it happen again. From then on, we never really saw Dungey crack again, with almost unrivaled racecraft and consistency. RV may outgunned him speedwise, but it wasn't from Dungey mentally cracking.

I also have to wonder if RV and Dungey's experiences with J-Law are why they were always so adamant about avoiding drama throughout their careers.
Forty
3/7/2018 12:39pm
I clicked on this thread to read about Jennifer Lawrence. Fuck this.

JAFO92
3/7/2018 12:42pm
bama205 wrote:
And he beat RD for a 250 title.
Itba was easyba. Iba gotba inba Dungeys headba.

gt80rider
3/7/2018 12:47pm
Very well done article, big props...

Ya, J Law will never race at a high level again, but our sport NEEDS him, or someone like him...
gt80rider
3/7/2018 12:50pm
Oh and, why him? Because guys like El hombre and tomac put fans in the seats, but attitudes like J Law sells bikes, big difference in marketing style...
3/7/2018 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2018 1:01pm
mark_swart wrote:
What really stood out to me was the section about him playing mind games with Dungey. From that perspective, Dungey may even owe J-Law a bit...
What really stood out to me was the section about him playing mind games with Dungey. From that perspective, Dungey may even owe J-Law a bit of gratitude for his mental strength in the years and championships that followed. J-Law got under his skin in 2008, but after that I think Ryan recognized it as a weakness and committed himself to never letting it happen again. From then on, we never really saw Dungey crack again, with almost unrivaled racecraft and consistency. RV may outgunned him speedwise, but it wasn't from Dungey mentally cracking.

I also have to wonder if RV and Dungey's experiences with J-Law are why they were always so adamant about avoiding drama throughout their careers.
Guys like Villo and Dungey were robots. Right out of the RC4 mold. As mentally tough as it gets.

We're they as naturally fast/talented as Bubba? No. But their conditioning and overall mental makeup proved to make for the formula to neutralize the FMOTP.

So how do you beat guys like Villo and Dungey? JLaw was the answer. Yeah, his antics (and talent) made him the only answer when trying to rattle those guys.

I wouldnt say it made them tougher moving forward. They simply out lasted him and never had to deal with anyone with his skills in that regard ever again. Lucky for them.

The sport was robbed of what would have been some colorful rivalries that would've really propelled the sport. Reed vs Bubba was fun and all, but I think JLaw in the mix vs RV/RD would have been so much more entertaining. As they say in boxing, "styles make fights".

And that can be said for a lot of "woulda coulda" talents in this sport. Knowing a lot of their backstories, I'll always blame the industry to some degree. A lot of these managers, agents, mechanics, and rider reps are some of the LAST people on earth you'd want supervising these kids. Some kids you cant save. But why throw fuel on the fire?

Still the most entertaining 6 minutes of MX racing Ive ever watched....

mark_swart
3/7/2018 1:18pm
Guys like Villo and Dungey were robots. Right out of the RC4 mold. As mentally tough as it gets. We're they as naturally fast/talented as Bubba...
Guys like Villo and Dungey were robots. Right out of the RC4 mold. As mentally tough as it gets.

We're they as naturally fast/talented as Bubba? No. But their conditioning and overall mental makeup proved to make for the formula to neutralize the FMOTP.

So how do you beat guys like Villo and Dungey? JLaw was the answer. Yeah, his antics (and talent) made him the only answer when trying to rattle those guys.

I wouldnt say it made them tougher moving forward. They simply out lasted him and never had to deal with anyone with his skills in that regard ever again. Lucky for them.

The sport was robbed of what would have been some colorful rivalries that would've really propelled the sport. Reed vs Bubba was fun and all, but I think JLaw in the mix vs RV/RD would have been so much more entertaining. As they say in boxing, "styles make fights".

And that can be said for a lot of "woulda coulda" talents in this sport. Knowing a lot of their backstories, I'll always blame the industry to some degree. A lot of these managers, agents, mechanics, and rider reps are some of the LAST people on earth you'd want supervising these kids. Some kids you cant save. But why throw fuel on the fire?

Still the most entertaining 6 minutes of MX racing Ive ever watched....

Geez, that was a straight-up bar brawl!! Thanks for the workplace diversion lol!
agn5009
3/7/2018 1:58pm
He’s still got more marketability than some current factory riders. and he don’t even race. Him and Stewart got a strangle hold on that side of...
He’s still got more marketability than some current factory riders. and he don’t even race. Him and Stewart got a strangle hold on that side of things.

Hated him as a kid because he was a prick. But....everyone was a prick on a factory suzuki (besides millsapps, nicest talented kid on a dirtbike ). Maybe not a prick, but very cocky ? Lawrence was both. Prick and cocky. Ha. Hell, for where he’s at today and what he’s been through I respect that. And still riding....good on him.

Dungey might of retired a legend of the sport but Lawrence did what he wanted, when he wanted, however he wanted. Wonder if dungey even throws a leg over the bike—-probably has a panic attack just doing it. Poor dude probably can’t even enjoy riding a dirtbike. All that stress....

Lawrence didn’t have to train or do shit but get on a bike and kill it. Not sure if we will ever get another one like him.
Lol this has to be one of the most inaccurate/dumbest posts ever.

His marketability is nothing near any current factory rider. Period. Your middle paragraph makes no sense. Third paragraph? Laughable. Dungey still loves to ride dirt bikes. It's hilarious you think he has a "panic attack" every time he throws a leg over the bike. Also, Lawrence didn't do what he wanted when he wanted. At least not while the ding-a-ling sat in jail.

I can guarantee you there's not a single factory rider who wishes their career was similar to Lawrence's. I would be willing to bet every single current factory rider in the world wishes their career mirrored Dungeys minus maybe Cairoli.

Man, some things people post on vital really worries me about the level of common sense in the world.

Post a reply to: Meta article about Jason Lawrence

The Latest