Mercedes Metris Motovan

hollifield
Edited Date/Time 5/14/2021 4:22am
I wanted to give anyone interested a little feedback on a new option for a motovan. I've been looking for a small van but one big enough to load-up two bikes and gear, along with being able to fit in the garage. Unfortunately none of the other small vans were big enough to get two bikes and gear in that back. That's until I saw some positive feedback on here about the Metris. This van drives great loaded up on the road! I get about 25 mpg with the cruise on 75 mph. In addition, no annoying down shifting into over drive on the interstate. I just drove down to Daytona and back from Atlanta and it didn't down shift once with the cruise control not even on any up hills. I want to do some work to the inside but have gotten there yet. Not a lot of after market stuff available yet since it's the first model year here in the states. The pictures below are showing only one bike in there loaded up but it holds two with all the crap you need. It's a tight fit with two bikes but it works. This is one of the best moto related purchases I've ever made.

|
Pirate421
11/23/2016 4:07pm
Nice! Just saw another one of these on IG they are cool looking vans I need to see f they make an extended version or if the passenger model is longer
Trig331
11/23/2016 4:54pm
Nice, you guys have any issues with reliability yet? I test drove one and it was really nice, just not quite ready to pull the trigger. Seems like there are some pretty good deals out there though.
JohnnyD13
11/23/2016 5:01pm
There's a company in Ga that makes a small van with several different options. Looks like it has plenty of room. The website is maxvan.com

The Shop

Pirate421
11/23/2016 5:09pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2016 5:10pm
My wife gave me the go ahead to buy a transit finally haha. She is absolutely against an express or econoline but since we have a young daughter she needed me to have at least another row of seats. Going with a medium roof passenger. They actually have a hard rubber/plastic floor and the seats fit flush with quick releases. The interior is plenty comfortable for me to stand at 5'11. And the best part is I'm not forced to buy a diesel unlike the sprinter. Can't wait, just need some used ones to start popping up, pretty rare right now. If I was a single guy tho that metris would be sweet those things look nice with some wheels!
Moto810
11/23/2016 6:21pm
hollifield wrote:
I wanted to give anyone interested a little feedback on a new option for a motovan. I've been looking for a small van but one big...
I wanted to give anyone interested a little feedback on a new option for a motovan. I've been looking for a small van but one big enough to load-up two bikes and gear, along with being able to fit in the garage. Unfortunately none of the other small vans were big enough to get two bikes and gear in that back. That's until I saw some positive feedback on here about the Metris. This van drives great loaded up on the road! I get about 25 mpg with the cruise on 75 mph. In addition, no annoying down shifting into over drive on the interstate. I just drove down to Daytona and back from Atlanta and it didn't down shift once with the cruise control not even on any up hills. I want to do some work to the inside but have gotten there yet. Not a lot of after market stuff available yet since it's the first model year here in the states. The pictures below are showing only one bike in there loaded up but it holds two with all the crap you need. It's a tight fit with two bikes but it works. This is one of the best moto related purchases I've ever made.

Very cool. Thanks for the update. Always nice to see van options.
F451
1/15/2017 10:22am
Just found out about the Metris so I went and checked them out the other day.

I WANT one! Ha ha.

If they had it in AWD I would have driven one home that same day. As it is, I have to keep my F250 until we get rid of our horse and then I can pull the trigger on a Metris (need to trade in the F250 to get the Metris).

Its kinda killing me though as my local MB dealer has bunch of 2016 models on what looks like some decent discounts. He said his 2017 models are on the way and he needs to move the 2016's. I'm thinking we won't get rid of the horse until the fall and all these screaming deals will be long gone by then. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that damn horse...

Meanwhile I guess this will give me time to decide cargo vs passenger version. Leaning towards the base cargo model, but there are benefits to the passenger model as well. Just kind of hard to resist the low price on the cargo model. Usage will be as daily driver, moto hauler, occasional weekend moto camper. Maybe a long moto trip or two in there as well.

Anyway, thanks for posting up guys, great to see that the Metris makes a decent bike hauler. -Eddie

Moto810
1/15/2017 10:40am
Yeah if that van was AWD I would get it today! Why is it they never want to make 4wd vans here in the US? Oh wait its because we all want one..........................
Jmicmoto13
1/15/2017 10:47am
Dude that looks sick. I would definitely consider getting one.
F451
2/8/2017 7:21pm
Super spendy but this Sportmobile version with the pop top is killer:

loftyair
2/8/2017 7:47pm
I was thinking about the vw one. Not available here in us, but right across the border. Would it be hard to bring it over?
F451
2/9/2017 9:02am
loftyair wrote:
I was thinking about the vw one. Not available here in us, but right across the border. Would it be hard to bring it over?
Short answer: Import it legally? Yes. Near impossible.

The biggest consideration is whether or not the vehicle was ever sold new in the US. If not, its almost impossible to import them in unless you are prepared to go through full EPA compliance and mountains of paperwork and money.

I did a lot of research on bringing vehicles into the US from Canada into WA State last year and unless the vehicle is 25 years or older its virtually impossible to do so legally or in any way that makes financial sense. I don't know anything about Cali's regs on stuff like that, but from what I've read it looks like CA is even stricter then WA State.

Vehicles 25 years or older, no problem importing them into WA State from Canada, I just bought a killer 1973 Triumph 750 from Canada into the US last year, easy peasy. Yeah me!

ACBraap
Fantasy
564th
2/9/2017 10:09am
F451 wrote:
Super spendy but this Sportmobile version with the pop top is killer:

That's a bargain in the Sportsmobile/Adventure van world.
F451
2/9/2017 10:22am
ACBraap wrote:
That's a bargain in the Sportsmobile/Adventure van world.
Yes it is.

The lack of headroom is my biggest complaint with the Metris sized vehicles, along with no AWD version in the US. But I also value being able to park the thing in my home garage as well as commercial garages. The pop top resolves the standing room issue nicely as well as providing additional sleeping quarters (not a need for me).

If I can get a Metris this year I'll be talking to the outfitters that install the pop tops to see how much it would be for just the pop top, I think I recall people saying around $8k over on places like Expedition Portal. Still spendy for my budget but I think its worth it.

And I wish I was more handy and patient with fabricating, I've seen some amazing home conversion pop tops on vans using old VW camper tops, etc.
ACBraap
Fantasy
564th
2/9/2017 10:43am
F451 wrote:
Yes it is. The lack of headroom is my biggest complaint with the Metris sized vehicles, along with no AWD version in the US. But I...
Yes it is.

The lack of headroom is my biggest complaint with the Metris sized vehicles, along with no AWD version in the US. But I also value being able to park the thing in my home garage as well as commercial garages. The pop top resolves the standing room issue nicely as well as providing additional sleeping quarters (not a need for me).

If I can get a Metris this year I'll be talking to the outfitters that install the pop tops to see how much it would be for just the pop top, I think I recall people saying around $8k over on places like Expedition Portal. Still spendy for my budget but I think its worth it.

And I wish I was more handy and patient with fabricating, I've seen some amazing home conversion pop tops on vans using old VW camper tops, etc.
I have the same issues. HOA rules against RVs make parking inside a must. Still want to be able to stand up, and would really like 4wd. I ended up finding a 2015 Ford Transit last summer that the previous owner had put a sportsmobile poptop in. Fits in the garage with about 3 inches to spare (bigger tires will take up some of that, and if enough left, solar panels will take the rest). If you go with Sportsmobile, I'd spend the extra for the electric poptop. It's not a lot more when installing it, but if done after the fact it's a lot more expensive. I don't have it, and I think putting the top up and down is going to be a challenge for the GF.

Same story with fabrication too. I know I could do it all, if I wanted to spend a year on it. But I want to use it more than work on it, so it's got an appt with a conversion outfit.
F451
2/10/2017 9:19am
Same deal in my HOA neighborhood in Duvall. Fortunately we can keep RV's and boats in our side or back yards, but they must be behind a "privacy" fence. I have both a horse trailer and class C RV in my side yard, NO privacy fence, but so far have not been called out by anyone. We're all friendly in my cul de sac and have all kinds of rv's and boats in our yards and driveways so no one wants to start a war over it.

I am planning on selling the horse trailer and rv this year and getting a Metris which can stay in the driveway.

And thanks for the tips on the pop top, the electric does sound like the way to go.
2/10/2017 4:58pm
hollifield wrote:
I wanted to give anyone interested a little feedback on a new option for a motovan. I've been looking for a small van but one big...

Great van. i got the LWB 114 turbo diesel 2016 model i got windows in the sliding doors and a back seat put in. On my last trip loaded up i got 1250k's (780 miles) to the tank. I chose not to get the bulkhead installed as it limtis seat movement.
Spooner
2/10/2017 9:02pm
Is the diesel version sold in the US? I have a 2015 Transit Connect and love it but I can't fit my bike in it. I'd consider the Metris in a few years since it's a smidge bigger and especially if the diesel is available. I'm not super impressed with the mileage with my TC so I'd love to get into the 30mpg range.
TallCan 16
2/10/2017 9:55pm
Hopefully you don't have to loosen the handlebars and rotate them down to load/unload your bike? LaughingLaughingLaughing
JB479
2/11/2017 12:46am
hollifield wrote:

Great van. i got the LWB 114 turbo diesel 2016 model i got windows in the sliding doors and a back seat put in. On my...
Great van. i got the LWB 114 turbo diesel 2016 model i got windows in the sliding doors and a back seat put in. On my last trip loaded up i got 1250k's (780 miles) to the tank. I chose not to get the bulkhead installed as it limtis seat movement.
I got the 119 lwb. Really happy with it. How many kms do you have on yours? I just ticked over 8000 and get around 950kms to a tank.
2/11/2017 3:03am
hollifield wrote:

Great van. i got the LWB 114 turbo diesel 2016 model i got windows in the sliding doors and a back seat put in. On my...
JB479 wrote:
I got the 119 lwb. Really happy with it. How many kms do you have on yours? I just ticked over 8000 and get around 950kms...
I got the 119 lwb. Really happy with it. How many kms do you have on yours? I just ticked over 8000 and get around 950kms to a tank.
JB
I've just clocked up 17000
blusmbl
2/11/2017 4:53am
Spooner wrote:
Is the diesel version sold in the US? I have a 2015 Transit Connect and love it but I can't fit my bike in it. I'd...
Is the diesel version sold in the US? I have a 2015 Transit Connect and love it but I can't fit my bike in it. I'd consider the Metris in a few years since it's a smidge bigger and especially if the diesel is available. I'm not super impressed with the mileage with my TC so I'd love to get into the 30mpg range.
Why not buy a low roof fullsize Transit? Nothing the size of a van is going to get 30mpg, unfortunately.
Spooner
2/11/2017 6:36am
Yeah I'm getting about the same mileage with my transit. I pull my bike on an open trailer and get 21 or so depending on how windy it is. It has a ramp on the back of the trailer that I'm sure if it was gone would give me a couple mpg's too. I get 24-26 on average but I do mostly highway driving. If I had about 4" more roof height I could fit a bike but that's not really why I bought it, it's my work van/family hauler. And really pulling a trailer is nice because I don't get a super dirty bike tossed inside of my van so it stays clean. Mine is the passenger version so it's not just bare metal in the back.
F451
2/11/2017 7:51am Edited Date/Time 2/11/2017 7:54am
blusmbl wrote:
Why not buy a low roof fullsize Transit? Nothing the size of a van is going to get 30mpg, unfortunately.
For me the smaller dimensions of the Metris are better, it will fit in my home garage and commercial parking decks no problem, not sure the Transit 150 will fit in either. I need to get a tape measure on both the Transit Commercial 150 low roof, regular length, single rear wheel version (replacement for the old standard E150 more or less) and the Metris to confirm for myself.

Plus it sounds like the Metris fits dirt bikes better, interior cargo height wise, again need to confirm. This is key for me, I want the bike and all my stuff inside and don't want to hassle around with getting the bike in it. If I can more or less just roll the bike into the Metris I will be thrilled. So far everything I am seeing says this is doable. Not sure on that with the Transit.

So far everyone I have talked to about both of these models loves them, raves about how nicely they drive, especially when compared to the old E series van which many found a hassle to keep pointed straight down the highway.

And thanks for all the great input everyone! I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on the Metris, I think I have the Rubic's cube of vehicle shuffle board figured out here at home and I may be able to snag one before I sell my F250. Yeah me!
F451
2/11/2017 8:11am
Some dimensions and specs I've been compiling for the Metris and Transit Commercial 150, regular length, low roof. I "think" these are accurate but have not taken a tape measure to confirm, so take with a grain of salt. And these are not the complete specs of course, just the ones that are important to me, for example overall hp/torque not shown.

Metris Specs:https://www.mercedes-benz-vans.ca/files/en/data-sheets/2016_Metris_Cargo_Van_Model_Sheet.pdf

Ford Transit Commercial specs: http://www.nor-calvans.com/pdf/ford-transit-brochure.pdf

Standard US garage door height: 7 feet (84 in/2.1 meters)

Spooner
2/11/2017 8:17am
Here is a side by side of my TC to the low roof transit. It's not way taller but I don't think it would fit in my garage. I have about 6" to spare with the connect.

ob
2/11/2017 4:51pm
Cool vans!
F451
3/26/2017 10:19am
Just wanted to follow up and add another data point here, about a month ago I bought a '16 Metris Cargo to use as a daily driver/moto hauler/weekend camper and ended up trading it in on a Ford Transit 250 after owning it for a couple of weeks.

Basically it came down to feeling like I was driving a minvan (which it basically is so I don't know what I was thinking). I was under the impression that is would be more like a small truck, but it felt like the minivan's we drove our kids around in for years. Also, the mirrors are bad, dangerous bad IMO, the passenger side especially. I'm sure that issue could be fixed but it was very surprising how dangerous it felt.

My big mistake was not taking it out on the highway for a test drive, my test drive was local streets only. Once out on the highway on the drive home from the dealership I immediately felt like it wasn't going to work for me.

And I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying one, I still think they are great, and I will chauk this one up to my bad for not test driving it on the highway, but just thought I would follow up since I had commented here a number of times. -Eddie
coastie44
5/4/2021 7:45pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2021 7:56pm
Sorry for bumping this old thread but I'm about ready to look for a Metris...

@Metris owners

- is the 126" long enough? Looking at available inventory I see more of the 126" around with the features I want.
- what would you do different on your Metris?
- what are your favorite mods?
- is a cargo version mandatory?
- anyone do a pop top?

Thanks!

Post a reply to: Mercedes Metris Motovan

The Latest