Mental fitness / fading during races

KlootZak
6/1/2015 1:28pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2015 1:15pm
I am trying to finish on the podium this year. Last week there was another race and I was in a podium position during both motos but I just could not hang on (and just missed the podium unfortunately). The speed was ok but I just could not hang on fitness wise.

It is however not only physical fitness. I am trying to run a lot and do other exercises to improve my physical fitness. I however also notice a "mental fatigue". After 60% of the race, I have trouble making difficult jumps. When I am fresh, I can clear some of the tougher jumps on the track. However when I am getting tired then I have trouble to keep hitting that perfect line and then most of the time I get a big warning (bikes jumps out and I do not have the ability to get it back in line) and evidently I don't clear the jumps anymore (I just don't hit the gas all the way through but back off a bit).

A] Am I the only one with this "mental fading"?
B] How do improve my "mental fatigue" or does this improve together with my physical fitness? Or do I need to back off a bit and drop my heart rate or something?
|
Silliker269
6/1/2015 1:47pm
I think most of it has to do with the physical fitness, when your HR is through the roof the grey matter tends not to function properly and that's when the stupid mistakes happen
motosmith
6/1/2015 1:55pm
Welcome to Motocross.
6/1/2015 2:10pm
KlootZak wrote:
I am trying to finish on the podium this year. Last week there was another race and I was in a podium position during both motos...
I am trying to finish on the podium this year. Last week there was another race and I was in a podium position during both motos but I just could not hang on (and just missed the podium unfortunately). The speed was ok but I just could not hang on fitness wise.

It is however not only physical fitness. I am trying to run a lot and do other exercises to improve my physical fitness. I however also notice a "mental fatigue". After 60% of the race, I have trouble making difficult jumps. When I am fresh, I can clear some of the tougher jumps on the track. However when I am getting tired then I have trouble to keep hitting that perfect line and then most of the time I get a big warning (bikes jumps out and I do not have the ability to get it back in line) and evidently I don't clear the jumps anymore (I just don't hit the gas all the way through but back off a bit).

A] Am I the only one with this "mental fading"?
B] How do improve my "mental fatigue" or does this improve together with my physical fitness? Or do I need to back off a bit and drop my heart rate or something?
....you are sprinting instead of pacing yourself....
KlootZak
6/1/2015 2:22pm
Okay, thanks guys! I will try to pace myself next time and just try to keep calm and ride within a certain limit.

The Shop

mark_swart
6/1/2015 3:41pm
Breathing and pace for sure. Also when you practice, make sure you are running full-length motos and not just a few sprint laps and then pulling off.

I also read that Ginkgo Biloba (sp?) increases blood flow to the brain during vigorous exercise.
KlootZak
6/1/2015 3:47pm
I am doing full length motos during practice and I do not have as much trouble as during the races (still not 100% constant lap times though)
Titan1
6/1/2015 3:55pm
How long are your races? Last time I raced moto, everyone but the pros were doing 4 laps or less.
RbR
6/1/2015 4:05pm
might seem an odd question, but are you taking any allergy meds with decongestant?
6/1/2015 4:09pm
I have suffered some Motos from this to. What I try to do is mentally just take a step back. For instance once you realize you are tightening up or a mistake happens take a a few breaths and focus on going fast on the parts you know you are comfortable. For me it helps me reset and gain some confidence back. Most likely the jumps aren't slowing you down to much anyway it's the loss of confidence in holding it wide open in the straight or focusing on getting around the turn smooth. Also don't sit there telling yourself I have to get third or I am not doing good, odds are that creates its own level of stress and mental fatigue.
KlootZak
6/1/2015 4:11pm
Titan1 wrote:
How long are your races? Last time I raced moto, everyone but the pros were doing 4 laps or less.
About 16 to 18 mins on a rutted, worn dutch sandy track Tongue

No, I'm not taking any pills or anything

Thanks Jeff, that's probably also a reason!
Olson
6/1/2015 4:45pm
How are you running? Any other form of workout? What's your VO2 max? Ever used a heart rate monitor during a race? Sleep, nutrition and staying hydrated is also key to stay focused.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
6/1/2015 4:55pm
Check out videos on YouTube from Dr. Patrick Cohn. He speaks about mental toughness in racing.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL455D0CBF8B4C30E9

I also sign up for his mailing list, weekly they send out an email with different things to work. Pretty cool, it carries over to many things in life, not just motocross...
toomey706
6/1/2015 5:04pm
There are two types of goals when racing, result goals and performance goals. Your "in the moment" goals are more immediate and segment oriented, jumps, turns, starts ect... Your result goals are expectations when the gate drops, you can think about winning while you're riding. Its the pursuit, but race the track, and your results will match the ability when the performance goals are on target. If you're not aware of immediate goals the mind wanders. Keep your eyes in front of you. Where your attention goes, you will follow.

Believe it or not, your habits in everyday life play out on the track. Practice finishing. Do what you say you're going to do. If you say you say you're going to be somewhere at 5, don't show up at 530. You're mind knows you're full of shit, and its the same thing on the track. You may say you want to win, but its just another thing you say. If you're gassing you're not in shape or your diet isn't disciplined. If you're attention is on getting tired, it'll show up and a lot of guys mess with themselves instead of taking the pain. Your "strength" shows up after your tired, learn to like it and watch the labels you put on things.

Unless your racing at a high level, you probably just need to train and eat right, but good thinking is critical. Don't whine, don't complain and don't make excuses. "You've waited your whole life for today, what are you going to do with it"? That's the question.

Preston412
6/1/2015 6:46pm
i don't know what level your fitness is or how you train, so I recommend that when you practice, one of your sessions should be at your race pace. Use your lap times or find a couple riders at your level or just above it.
If towards the end of the race is where you are struggling, I say you are getting tired and your body is telling you mentally that you don't have the strength to do that obstacle safely or continue at this pace.
mx5471
6/1/2015 6:47pm
toomey706, where did you come up with that? You are right on. You inspired me in another situation. And you are right. Attitude. Habit. Commitment . In life, not just in racing. "You've waited your whole life for today, what are you going to do with it"? Thank You.
Silliker269
6/1/2015 7:15pm
One think you can do is wear a heart rate monitor and find out where you redline (VO2 max) is. Be it 185 , 180 or somewhere around there , you can back it down a bit before you start losing focus. After some training (it takes months) you will be able to go longer at or near redline until its the full moto.
PFitzG38
6/1/2015 7:27pm
motosmith wrote:
Welcome to Motocross.
^^^ This.

There are no shortcuts, get in better shape and you will be able to go faster longer.

That is the beauty of the sport.
6/1/2015 8:06pm
motosmith wrote:
Welcome to Motocross.
PFitzG38 wrote:
^^^ This.

There are no shortcuts, get in better shape and you will be able to go faster longer.

Yep, and don't think that you're mentally weak, OP. "Fatigue makes cowards of us all". As was said, train smarter and harder.... and you'll get there.
6/1/2015 8:24pm
toomey706 wrote:
There are two types of goals when racing, result goals and performance goals. Your "in the moment" goals are more immediate and segment oriented, jumps, turns...
There are two types of goals when racing, result goals and performance goals. Your "in the moment" goals are more immediate and segment oriented, jumps, turns, starts ect... Your result goals are expectations when the gate drops, you can think about winning while you're riding. Its the pursuit, but race the track, and your results will match the ability when the performance goals are on target. If you're not aware of immediate goals the mind wanders. Keep your eyes in front of you. Where your attention goes, you will follow.

Believe it or not, your habits in everyday life play out on the track. Practice finishing. Do what you say you're going to do. If you say you say you're going to be somewhere at 5, don't show up at 530. You're mind knows you're full of shit, and its the same thing on the track. You may say you want to win, but its just another thing you say. If you're gassing you're not in shape or your diet isn't disciplined. If you're attention is on getting tired, it'll show up and a lot of guys mess with themselves instead of taking the pain. Your "strength" shows up after your tired, learn to like it and watch the labels you put on things.

Unless your racing at a high level, you probably just need to train and eat right, but good thinking is critical. Don't whine, don't complain and don't make excuses. "You've waited your whole life for today, what are you going to do with it"? That's the question.

Toomey not only addressed finishing races sucessfully but also, if everyone would listen, cured 95% of the world of dbag, whiny asshats.
ledger
6/1/2015 9:11pm
motosmith wrote:
Welcome to Motocross.
PFitzG38 wrote:
^^^ This.

Yep, and don't think that you're mentally weak, OP. "Fatigue makes cowards of us all". As was said, train smarter and harder.... and you'll get there.
^^^ This and that ^^^
6/1/2015 11:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2015 11:39pm
I had the same issue in the past. What works for me is taking deep breaths(inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth) on jumps or slow/tight corners. If that doesn't work then slow down your pace a little bit for one lap and regroup. Then up the pace again the next lap like you'll ride the first lap. Good luck Smile
toomey706
6/2/2015 5:03am
mx5471 wrote:
toomey706, where did you come up with that? You are right on. You inspired me in another situation. And you are right. Attitude. Habit. Commitment...
toomey706, where did you come up with that? You are right on. You inspired me in another situation. And you are right. Attitude. Habit. Commitment . In life, not just in racing. "You've waited your whole life for today, what are you going to do with it"? Thank You.
Lived a little, but spent way too much time trying to survive. Life is good shit, we need to value it, ask for what we want and not take no for an answer if we believe what were after is worthwhile. You're going to fail your way to every goal achieve, you just can't quit. Good luck.
nytsmaC
6/2/2015 5:32am
Do you push as hard during practice as you do in a moto? I tend to catch myself cruising on some sections of the track once fatigue begins to set in. I found that finding someone equal in speed or slightly faster than me, and who doesn't fade, to spar with on practice days really helped. I'll use them to gauge my speed and I found that if I didn't dig deep they would start making ground on me at around the 10 minute mark. I started working on doing 15 minute motos with no fade and it really helped on race day, where we get 10 minute motos.

Everyone(well, most) is getting tired towards the end of the race. when you get tired and start to get caught, regroup for a sprint and reopen a gap. Seems like the other guy will usually give up when he realizes you're not completely gassed and they're really going to have to work for it.
mark_swart
6/2/2015 1:15pm
toomey706 wrote:
There are two types of goals when racing, result goals and performance goals. Your "in the moment" goals are more immediate and segment oriented, jumps, turns...

'Your "strength" shows up after your tired'

Quote of the day!! Right on!

Post a reply to: Mental fitness / fading during races

The Latest