Medical Facilities/Best Doctors/Surgeons Forum

Skidaddle
Edited Date/Time 11/3/2016 7:33am
Was reading the Nelson thread, and a few mentioned wondering where the best facilties are for serious injuries?
I've often wondered this myself.

For example, I know Ting, Murphy and a few other docs are good. But where do you go or call for something bad, like broken necks or backs, or really mangled body parts? Not the doctors who say you'll never use this again, but the ones who say they will make it work again.

Most "doctors" aren't qualified to put air in a tire as far as I'm concerned, so a medical directory like Vitals tracks by state forum might be useful. Instead of leaving your future in just some randoms hands.

I guess what I mean is, instead of having a mechanic at a car dealer work on your engine, you have the engineers at the OEM factory working on it like the guys who work on F1 engines. Those grease monkeys are dressed like surgeons and fix things right.

|
MDMCG
11/3/2016 8:03am
It's not that easy my friend. Medicine is a complex field and there isn't one particular doctor who can turn water into wine or make a severe cord injury go away. Elective procedures are elective for a reason and allow a person to search around and find someone that they trust to perform it. Emergent procedures on the other hand is something that is time sensitive. Being transferred to the closest level 1 trauma center for cord decompression, steroids, etc is hands down the most important action in many of these cases. You'll get whoever is on call that day assuming that it's something they feel comfortable with.

(-- Doc.

BTW, "Most 'doctors' aren't qualified to put air in a tire as far as I'm concerned, so a medical directory like Vitals tracks by state forum might be useful. Instead of leaving your future in just some randoms hands." may be the most condescending post I've seen on here in a while.
hillbilly
11/3/2016 8:41am
Seems it wouldn't be to hard to take each outdoor lactation,find the best trauma center that is tactically reachable from each track taking in weather for helicopters.

Have a plan for where to go and have that place on alert for the race weekend.

If the heli hospital is different than the ambulance hospital have both on ready.

I've been to hospitals that were worse than my doing the operating in my barn.

The Gainesville hospital near gatorback tops that list for assholies.
hvaughn88
11/3/2016 8:44am
Skidaddle wrote:
Was reading the Nelson thread, and a few mentioned wondering where the best facilties are for serious injuries? I've often wondered this myself. For example, I...
Was reading the Nelson thread, and a few mentioned wondering where the best facilties are for serious injuries?
I've often wondered this myself.

For example, I know Ting, Murphy and a few other docs are good. But where do you go or call for something bad, like broken necks or backs, or really mangled body parts? Not the doctors who say you'll never use this again, but the ones who say they will make it work again.

Most "doctors" aren't qualified to put air in a tire as far as I'm concerned, so a medical directory like Vitals tracks by state forum might be useful. Instead of leaving your future in just some randoms hands.

I guess what I mean is, instead of having a mechanic at a car dealer work on your engine, you have the engineers at the OEM factory working on it like the guys who work on F1 engines. Those grease monkeys are dressed like surgeons and fix things right.

Why do that when you can just call into Main Event Moto for your medical advice.
MDMCG
11/3/2016 8:53am
hillbilly wrote:
Seems it wouldn't be to hard to take each outdoor lactation,find the best trauma center that is tactically reachable from each track taking in weather for...
Seems it wouldn't be to hard to take each outdoor lactation,find the best trauma center that is tactically reachable from each track taking in weather for helicopters.

If the heli hospital is different than the ambulance hospital have both on ready.

I doubt that any special arrangements are made at any hospital for the nationals or the SX. Trauma centers can handle multiple critically ill patients at one time. The volume expected from a SX/MX is pale in comparison to what we see on a regular basis.

Interesting fact though: Most people who rave about their particular doctor, surgeon, house cleaner, mechanic, etc do it out of a personality match and not the amazing work that is actually done.

The Shop

Skidaddle
11/3/2016 9:22am
So what? Thats safer and better than them buying shit from some Polish garage UGL gear that could be anything.
Luckily today, with the net, bunk and under dosed or mislableled stuff gets outed fast.

Would you rather your kid take desoxyn or trailer house bathtub made meth for ADD? Its the same stuff.

Back on topic.

What Im talking about is a forum where say in State XXXX Doctor xxxxxxx is the one you want for a broken neck or back. Or if you need 20 pins and screws and 8 plates for your foot like Nico Izzi, you get a good doctor, not a quack that says "just cut it off"

In other words....do you want a doctor who has less medical know how than a gym meathead decide if you are ever going to walk again?

And to be honest, most gym meatheads are far more qualified about drugs because they use and have real world experience.
Afterall, youll never convince your family doctor to prescribe asthma meds for weight loss. Or cancer drugs for your gyno. Or womens drugs to turn your Nuts on.
hillbilly
11/3/2016 9:58am
hillbilly wrote:
Seems it wouldn't be to hard to take each outdoor lactation,find the best trauma center that is tactically reachable from each track taking in weather for...

MDMCG wrote:
I doubt that any special arrangements are made at any hospital for the nationals or the SX. Trauma centers can handle multiple critically ill patients at...
I doubt that any special arrangements are made at any hospital for the nationals or the SX. Trauma centers can handle multiple critically ill patients at one time. The volume expected from a SX/MX is pale in comparison to what we see on a regular basis.

Interesting fact though: Most people who rave about their particular doctor, surgeon, house cleaner, mechanic, etc do it out of a personality match and not the amazing work that is actually done.
I'm proposing to get a plan,I know there aren't any now,they just take you to the nearest place I'd guess.

My idea is when the tour comes to lick skillet raceway but lick skillet hospital is a lean too ,find the best 2 other options say ,or the best one reachable by heli quickly. Have a surgeon ,probably many out there that are moto fans or just like the living made off crazy people like us.

Have the emts on the same page at the track,go here if no weather,storming go here.

I'd like a heli on the grounds but that probably aint practical.

Just some ideas,not sure if some of that already happens.

MDMCG
11/3/2016 10:18am
hillbilly wrote:

MDMCG wrote:
I doubt that any special arrangements are made at any hospital for the nationals or the SX. Trauma centers can handle multiple critically ill patients at...

hillbilly wrote:
I'm proposing to get a plan,I know there aren't any now,they just take you to the nearest place I'd guess. My idea is when the tour...
I'm proposing to get a plan,I know there aren't any now,they just take you to the nearest place I'd guess.

My idea is when the tour comes to lick skillet raceway but lick skillet hospital is a lean too ,find the best 2 other options say ,or the best one reachable by heli quickly. Have a surgeon ,probably many out there that are moto fans or just like the living made off crazy people like us.

Have the emts on the same page at the track,go here if no weather,storming go here.

EMS systems are not run based on catering to specific populations. These state-wide protocols help identify who needs to be transferred and to which facilities. Stable patients can certainly be triaged and evaluated in smaller emergency departments without the need for trauma surgeons, neurosurgeons, and the world's expert on x, y, and z orthopedic injuries. However, unstable patients or those who are predicted to need higher level of care facilities should be taken to the closest regional facility that is equipped to deal with that said emergency. Trauma 1 centers have 24/hr coverage of essentially all the needed players to take care of any life threatening or limb threatening injury. This is why you see the helicopter occasionally come out and play as they are trying to expedite the delivery of a sick patient to a regional trauma center.

A motocross rider is no different than a MVC accident, pedestrian vs MVC, fall, etc. Same bones, organs, injuries, etc. Large trauma centers see 80-150k patients/year. They can handle and appropriately treat nearly any injury that comes to them. Exceptions to the rule would be severe burns (>80% for most) or some of the super specialized pediatric trauma/neurocritical care services that are more frequently transferred to large university hospitals.
KTMShane699
11/3/2016 10:48am
hillbilly wrote:
I'm proposing to get a plan,I know there aren't any now,they just take you to the nearest place I'd guess. My idea is when the tour...

I'll agree with MDMCG. You're asking for a "plan" to be in place, when one already exists. Prehospital providers work on a set of protocols, and part of our decision making is choosing an appropriate facility for the patient. If you think professional motocross racers are the only ones capable of getting injured this badly, you're wrong. People get paralyzed doing all kinds of thing. People have massive trauma from all kinds of mechanisms of injury.

We generally don't take critical patients to a smaller facility unless it's for immediate stabilization and transfer out. We make decisions about air transport based on a number of factors (and don't think they're just going to keep a helicopter available because it's race day). A hospital isn't going to pay that surgeon to come in just because it's race day either. He's at the hospital or on call for anyone.

I know we all like to think our sport is some sort of special snowflake because it's something we love and enjoy and it's a small subsection of life. The reality is that bad things happen to people all the time. The appropriate contingencies are all in place already for when it happens to whoever, and whenever.

Have faith in our training, our experience and our decision making. Like anything, there's good and bad providers out there. Unfortunately in emergent situations you don't get to choose who treats you. But generally, we do a very good job considering the messes we are handed and expected to produce a positive outcome from.
WSR
11/3/2016 1:30pm
Skidaddle wrote:
So what? Thats safer and better than them buying shit from some Polish garage UGL gear that could be anything. Luckily today, with the net, bunk...
So what? Thats safer and better than them buying shit from some Polish garage UGL gear that could be anything.
Luckily today, with the net, bunk and under dosed or mislableled stuff gets outed fast.

Would you rather your kid take desoxyn or trailer house bathtub made meth for ADD? Its the same stuff.

Back on topic.

What Im talking about is a forum where say in State XXXX Doctor xxxxxxx is the one you want for a broken neck or back. Or if you need 20 pins and screws and 8 plates for your foot like Nico Izzi, you get a good doctor, not a quack that says "just cut it off"

In other words....do you want a doctor who has less medical know how than a gym meathead decide if you are ever going to walk again?

And to be honest, most gym meatheads are far more qualified about drugs because they use and have real world experience.
Afterall, youll never convince your family doctor to prescribe asthma meds for weight loss. Or cancer drugs for your gyno. Or womens drugs to turn your Nuts on.
Premix Junky? I thought you disappeared. How's the real estate empire?
Skidaddle
11/3/2016 2:18pm
In Nelsons case, he goes to the hospital and confirm hes in bad shape.
Thats fine for the immediate time.

My point is a forum on here for who to call next before people start cutting and drilling.
Someone who really knows what to do for the best chance of fixing whatever it is thats F'ed up.. That has to be better than a guy in some hospital who just sees someone to cut on.

I mean stick and ball sports coaches and teams must know who the go to guys are for the really serious injuries?

Or do you want a doctor who says to fuse it or cut it off, he shouldnt be doing this (football Moto Sx etc )anyway?
MDMCG
11/3/2016 2:57pm
How do you know that the team who worked on Nelson wasn't spot on? You're implying that b/c he wasn't at UCSF, Emory, Mass General, etc that his care was compromised. For all you know the worlds expert on mid thoracic cord injuries is sitting in NY at that level 1 center.

Where you practice as a physician has nothing to do with how good you are or what you are an expert in. Many of the "top" hospitals in the country don't have the "top" providers in many of the specialties under their roof. Our healthcare system isn't full of quack doctors who practice outside the line of the standard of care.

With that said, I feel like I'm arguing with a wall here. Feel free to trust whoever you want. I'll keep providing quality care to my tier 1 athletes at my smaller shop, where we arguably have the best private orthopedics group in the world.

11/3/2016 4:01pm
Skidaddle wrote:
In Nelsons case, he goes to the hospital and confirm hes in bad shape. Thats fine for the immediate time. My point is a forum on...
In Nelsons case, he goes to the hospital and confirm hes in bad shape.
Thats fine for the immediate time.

My point is a forum on here for who to call next before people start cutting and drilling.
Someone who really knows what to do for the best chance of fixing whatever it is thats F'ed up.. That has to be better than a guy in some hospital who just sees someone to cut on.

I mean stick and ball sports coaches and teams must know who the go to guys are for the really serious injuries?

Or do you want a doctor who says to fuse it or cut it off, he shouldnt be doing this (football Moto Sx etc )anyway?
Maybe they can try HGH?
KMC440
11/3/2016 4:08pm
Most good tracks will have a list with directions to the nearest medical facilities as well as directing you to the absolute best one in the area.

I can tell you having the Mayo Clinic 35min from Millville is pretty good. Cool
slipdog
11/3/2016 4:14pm
WSR wrote:
For a long time after he started posting I was wondering why he seemed so familiar and then one day... Sleds!
11/3/2016 4:16pm
Some motorsports organizations take these things seriously.

I think there's little doubt that we would have lost Zanardi and Hinchcliffe if not for these guys.

I think you might get more passion and commitment from an MD that's a super fan instead of one that accuses you of riding a "meat grinder" whether it's conscious or not.

It's true that it's not so easy to implement and I don't know how Indycar gets their trauma people local access but it seems to happen.

I think most MDs can put air in a tire. But I've trained many and work with them every day in my lab, and they are no different than any other profession: some are great, some are good, and some are less talented and/or dedicated than others. That doesn't mean a great doctor can save anyone, it just means there's a statistically higher chance. And a lower chance that (s)he accidentally harm or kill you. It happens...no one is perfect.
11/3/2016 4:33pm
WSR wrote:
slipdog wrote:
For a long time after he started posting I was wondering why he seemed so familiar and then one day... Sleds!
Wait until he starts with the Tranny's.
WSR
11/3/2016 4:39pm
Premix rides a sled with two tranny's. True story.
WSR
11/3/2016 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 11/3/2016 4:45pm
92 how have you been buddy? I hope well. We miss you at the secret meeting place.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/3/2016 4:56pm
I can't speak to the relative merits of trauma physicians, but I did have a reconstructive shoulder surgery in 2004 by a Sharp-Rees Stealy doctor in San Diego. Dr. Hamner. I'm really stoked with how it turned out.

I had 6 shoulder dislocations in about as many years, and my shoulder was trashed. The last time it came out was from a hard landing and I didn't even crash! Right then I knew I'd have to get it fixed. Dr. Hamner gave me a consultation or two, and basically he advised me that I'd probably lose some range of motion. Thankfully, that issue never arose and my shoulder is stronger than the "good" one now. 100% satisfied.
Skidaddle
11/3/2016 5:07pm
Falcon wrote:
I can't speak to the relative merits of trauma physicians, but I did have a reconstructive shoulder surgery in 2004 by a Sharp-Rees Stealy doctor in...
I can't speak to the relative merits of trauma physicians, but I did have a reconstructive shoulder surgery in 2004 by a Sharp-Rees Stealy doctor in San Diego. Dr. Hamner. I'm really stoked with how it turned out.

I had 6 shoulder dislocations in about as many years, and my shoulder was trashed. The last time it came out was from a hard landing and I didn't even crash! Right then I knew I'd have to get it fixed. Dr. Hamner gave me a consultation or two, and basically he advised me that I'd probably lose some range of motion. Thankfully, that issue never arose and my shoulder is stronger than the "good" one now. 100% satisfied.
Exactly!. So this guy obviously is pretty awesome with shoulders.

This is kinda what I mean. Now if you needed surgery in say New York...who is good? Who understands fixing it for say sports compared to fixing it for a secretary, you'd have no idea. You'd just be hoping.

In your case, all you could do is call your Doc and see if he could recommend someone good, or get on a plane back to San Diego.
JAFO92
11/3/2016 6:12pm
WSR wrote:
92 how have you been buddy? I hope well. We miss you at the secret meeting place.
Doing great fella, nice to hear from you. Hope all is going well over your way !
moscrop940
11/3/2016 6:50pm
I don't know for sure if this falls under the header of the topic, but I'll put it here anyway.

If anyone on this board has chronic foot/ankle pain, I beg you to take a look at the foot and ankle institute in Valencia CA.

As I've stated before, I have chronic foot and ankle pain which led me to finally doing something about it.

I was fortunate enough to have my appointment with Dr. Tanler Vulkmann, and I can honestly say it was the best decision I have ever made in my life.

From the first appointment with him I was blown away. He immediately made me feel comfortable and that I wasn't wasting his time. My first appointment I was with him for almost two hours and he went over every single option for me. From braces, to fusions, and everything in between.

On the first day he gave me his personal cell number and told me to call him day or night if I had any questions at all.

While I am still in a cast after my fusion, I Could not feel anymore blessed that I got paired up with Dr. Vulkmann.

If you are on the west coast and are ready to be done with your ankles hurting everyday, give that man a call.

Cheers boys

Post a reply to: Medical Facilities/Best Doctors/Surgeons Forum

The Latest