McGrath on the GOAT

TXDirt
1/5/2017 9:43am
RC is the GOAT. He's been the GOAT since the time he was on a freaking 60cc. He absolutely obliterated his competition on every bike, in every class, on every continent. MC can keep the title as the King of Supercross. But RC is the fastest, most dominate human to ever swing a leg over a dirt bike. So that's why he's the GOAT.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
1/5/2017 9:44am
Let's see after the 2000 SX season, RC never lost a title he competed in. 12 titles in 7 years. RC had nothing left to do. 5 of the 7 years he did full time 250/450 racing he won the double SX/MX. MC did it once.
Pepe
1/5/2017 9:47am
It's quite obvious that when people refer to RC as being the GOAT they are including sx and mx. To that extent, on pure wins, titles...
It's quite obvious that when people refer to RC as being the GOAT they are including sx and mx. To that extent, on pure wins, titles, and dominance, RC is undeniably the greatest of all time. End of story.
pilotdude wrote:
It's not even close. RC was one knee injury away from having 6 supercross titles, only 1 less than MC. If he had gone full time...
It's not even close. RC was one knee injury away from having 6 supercross titles, only 1 less than MC. If he had gone full time in 2007 he might very well have won that one also. Outdoors, the man was simply untouchable by any metric you care to name, or any new one you can conjure up.

He had the eye of the tiger. He never did the putrid "supercross only" nonsense, and was an outdoor moto warrior who truly struck fear in the hearts of his competitors all around the world. If you were up against RC outdoors ANYWHERE, you were screwed. Never, ever lost an outdoor championship. There is NO DOUBT had he finished the 2007 outdoor season, he would have won that title as well. How many outdoor titles did MC win again?

MC's comments are simply the butthurt of a great champion whose ego cannot admit that someone who came after him that was better, more determined, and more driven to be the best he could be at all times.

I love MC and the contributions he made and continues to make to the sport, but let us be real shall we?
This is going to make so many RC fans cry, but we are all here to support you and lend a shoulder.

RC ELECTED to have knee surgery going into 2004 SX because Reed smoked his ass the last 6-7 races of the 03 SX season, and Honda was forcing on to a bike he didn't yet believe in, the CRF450. That's also part of why he jumped ship to a company still developing a steel framed 250T.
Kenny Lingus
1/5/2017 10:34am
Ricky is the better racer. I think that's clear. Even if he wasn't a better SX rider than MC. I do think MC had more star power, if you want to call it that. Hell, MC had a national tv commercial and was in an episode of Friends.

The Shop

1/5/2017 10:47am
I still don't know why this is so complicated.

Muhammad Ali is the GOAT.

Ricky Carmichael is the greatest outdoor rider in history,

Jeremy, Supercross,

James the most talented... and on and on and on.

Adam43
1/5/2017 10:51am
Pepe wrote:
This is going to make so many RC fans cry, but we are all here to support you and lend a shoulder. RC ELECTED to have...
This is going to make so many RC fans cry, but we are all here to support you and lend a shoulder.

RC ELECTED to have knee surgery going into 2004 SX because Reed smoked his ass the last 6-7 races of the 03 SX season, and Honda was forcing on to a bike he didn't yet believe in, the CRF450. That's also part of why he jumped ship to a company still developing a steel framed 250T.
That's total BS, RC blew out the knee late in the offseason and needed the surgery, and chose to run the 450 on his own. Honda didn't force him, they even still paid Fonseca to run the 250.

That he didn't run the RMZ450 that first SX season with Suzuki has more to do with the bike not being ready than anything. Once the bugs were sorted out he switched to it the next year.

Feel free to make up whatever you want though.
1/5/2017 10:53am
Pulpmx covered this recently, both sides are valid. It can be interpreted either way. Should we make it more detailed and reference GOAT of motocross ?
Jimmy_Sloan
1/5/2017 11:05am
Adam43 wrote:
That's total BS, RC blew out the knee late in the offseason and needed the surgery, and chose to run the 450 on his own. Honda...
That's total BS, RC blew out the knee late in the offseason and needed the surgery, and chose to run the 450 on his own. Honda didn't force him, they even still paid Fonseca to run the 250.

That he didn't run the RMZ450 that first SX season with Suzuki has more to do with the bike not being ready than anything. Once the bugs were sorted out he switched to it the next year.

Feel free to make up whatever you want though.
RC switched to the RMZ450 for the 2005 outdoors. But yeah, not sure what Pepe is talking about. Perhaps judging by his avatar and username, he's just trying to get people triggered.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
1/5/2017 11:45am
I still don't know why this is so complicated. Muhammad Ali is the GOAT. Ricky Carmichael is the greatest outdoor rider in history, Jeremy, Supercross, James...
I still don't know why this is so complicated.

Muhammad Ali is the GOAT.

Ricky Carmichael is the greatest outdoor rider in history,

Jeremy, Supercross,

James the most talented... and on and on and on.

The term GOAT is relative to the sport. I'm not a boxing expert nor was I even alive when Ali was boxing but from everything I've read, he was always referred to as simply "The Greatest" not GOAT. That acronym wasn't born for him until his wife created a business to license intellectual properties nearly two decades after he retired and needed a name for it.

It is all ironic because in the sports world decades ago people would refer to the player that a loss would be blamed on as the goat, as in the scapegoat.
mxdude105
1/5/2017 11:53am
Had both of them raced together in their prime (say '96 McGrath vs. 04 RC)...Ricky wins 8 out of 10 times. Jeremy might have kept it close in supercross but wouldn't have held a candle to RC outdoors. Even in SX I say Ricky's fitness and tenacity beats MC's bike skills for the championship. RC best SX rider of all time... maybe not. Best overall motocross racer of all time? Hands down.
bama205
1/5/2017 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2017 1:46pm
It must wrangle RC's ego to know that even though he is undisputed the greatest this sport has ever seen, he is far, far away from...
It must wrangle RC's ego to know that even though he is undisputed the greatest this sport has ever seen, he is far, far away from being as being as well loved and respected by the fans as Mcgrath is, because he (RC ) seemed to have an arrogant and shitty, entitled attitude at times. His 'ask me anything' here on vital was proof to me how humorless and unfriendly his attitude is. MC seems like he most laid back, likable guy ever.
I thought the same thing until 2 years ago at lorettas. We met RC and got a picture of him with my 2 year old son while he was walking back to the pits. Was very cool and approachable. Didn't make us feel like ass holes. Now- similar thing happened with MC back in mid 2000's at the STL SX. MC is the shit though for sure. Wasn't he hondas top guy when he came back ?

Post a reply to: McGrath on the GOAT

The Latest