McGrath GT bicycle

agn5008
Fantasy
256th
Edited Date/Time 8/24/2021 7:01am
I pulled the old McGrath GT bicycle out of the garage and started cleaning it up. I’m not looking to sell and it’s in real nice shape but it needs a few small things. I have no idea where to get (or if I can) original parts. I’m mainly looking for grips, cranks, pedals, brake set and handlebars. I would probably get a new seat too if I could find one. This ones in good shape and no rips but it is a little faded. I would love to find all original.

My plan is to get it all original and hang it in the garage.
|
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
8/22/2021 1:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2021 1:35pm
Mine is in very nice condition too. The cranks and pedals are a little rusty though. other than that, it just needs cleaned up a bit. It doesn’t really need to be rideable, but I want it to look really good hanging in the garage. I’ve got a new chain on order already.
xrmark
8/22/2021 1:37pm
I had one of these! My dad sold it in a garage sale once I moved out after high school 😭
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
8/22/2021 1:46pm
xrmark wrote:
I had one of these! My dad sold it in a garage sale once I moved out after high school 😭
I had some pretty tricked out Specialized bikes as well that I raced when I was a kid. But this bike will always be my favorite. I’m pretty happy my old man never sold it. It was stored away in the back of his garage for about the last 20 years or so and I finally decided to clean it up. This was when I pulled it out this morning caked in dust

The Shop

crusher773
8/22/2021 2:12pm
I've got the one that was after the GTs that were just a showtime bike. They were lower end it was my wife's she used in college. I'd sell if anybody wants it.
FeetUp
8/22/2021 3:09pm
Make sure the sprocket bolts are torqued.... if not, this board will never let you forget it Whistling
8/22/2021 5:20pm
agn5008 wrote:
Mine is in very nice condition too. The cranks and pedals are a little rusty though. other than that, it just needs cleaned up a bit...
Mine is in very nice condition too. The cranks and pedals are a little rusty though. other than that, it just needs cleaned up a bit. It doesn’t really need to be rideable, but I want it to look really good hanging in the garage. I’ve got a new chain on order already.
There are some awesome old school bmx fb pages that might be able to help you out.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
8/22/2021 6:47pm
agn5008 wrote:
Mine is in very nice condition too. The cranks and pedals are a little rusty though. other than that, it just needs cleaned up a bit...
There are some awesome old school bmx fb pages that might be able to help you out.
No Facebook here but I’ll have to see if my wife can find them. From what I’m reading online it seems as though they were basically a GT Interceptor specially painted. I’m gonna have to see if the cranks, pedals and handlebars were the same. I’m hoping they were since it’ll probably be easier to find parts for one of those.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
8/22/2021 6:50pm
On a side note, there’s someone asking $1000 for just the number plate on eBay. That is absolutely wild! Obviously mine ain’t worth anything 😂

Sawfish
8/22/2021 7:36pm
My first bmx. Probably put thousands of miles on that thing as a kid. I don’t think there was a straight part on it when I was done with it. I ate shit a lot.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
8/22/2021 7:57pm
I had a Gary little john ...
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
8/22/2021 8:06pm
Racer X gave some away in a sweepstakes about 20 years ago. I won one. Still in my basement. The one I got had some wear on it- I was a little put off until I opened the note from DC apologizing for it being shipped late, and said it was the one The King rod for the contest photo shoot. I did lose the letter somewhere along the line, which makes the wear a value dropper instead of increaser.

H
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
8/22/2021 10:47pm
crusher773 wrote:
I've got the one that was after the GTs that were just a showtime bike. They were lower end it was my wife's she used in...
I've got the one that was after the GTs that were just a showtime bike. They were lower end it was my wife's she used in college. I'd sell if anybody wants it.
Pics and price?
8/22/2021 11:32pm
crusher773 wrote:
I've got the one that was after the GTs that were just a showtime bike. They were lower end it was my wife's she used in...
I,m interested. I,m in larado now, will be on the road for a few weeks.
Moto Mofo
8/23/2021 6:02am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2021 6:05am
You can always find the Suzuki version sticker kits easily on eBay. My understanding is that when GT started this project, MC was on a Suzuki, and shortly afterwards switched to Yamaha. Probably why it came with gold rims (like his RM had). The rest of the Suzuki graphics they’d already made were bagged and sold separately.

My buddy bought two of the blue ones, and still has one in the box. He gifted the other one to my daughter a couple years ago. So I try to be cool, and ask nicely if I can ride it occasionally.
AH387
8/23/2021 6:49am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2021 7:18am
Not sure if this helps you, but all that bike is was a fancy painted GT Interceptor. So the grips,cranks, pedals and brakes are likely the same. The bars being white, would be a little harder to find because I do not remember the Interceptor coming with anything but chrome bars, around that year. This is just off the top of my head, but I think you should be able to find some of the stuff you are looking for because it came on other models. Even the Mach 1 and Pro Series model may have also used the same grips, pedals and brakes. So hopefully that opens up your search a bit more. Cool bike though, I remember thinking those were sweet when I was a kid. Unfortunately they only came in "expert" size frames and I was already in a "pro" size frame when they came out.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
8/23/2021 3:56pm
RMT wrote:
Bmxmuseum.com

You will find what you need on this site.
Cool I’ll check it out thanks!
Heggo
8/23/2021 6:40pm
I wonder if MC would be a little bit disappointed in the spec level now seeing one of those and wishing his signiture model came with the 3 piece Profile cranks and those sweet sealed GT hubs from back in the day with GT emblem on them. I sure it was just more money in the bank back then.

Sawfish
8/23/2021 7:15pm
Heggo wrote:
I wonder if MC would be a little bit disappointed in the spec level now seeing one of those and wishing his signiture model came with...
I wonder if MC would be a little bit disappointed in the spec level now seeing one of those and wishing his signiture model came with the 3 piece Profile cranks and those sweet sealed GT hubs from back in the day with GT emblem on them. I sure it was just more money in the bank back then.

GT even made identical profile cranks back in the day. Honestly the bicycle was a POS, but…. It taught me how ball bearings work I guess.
AH387
8/23/2021 7:17pm
Heggo wrote:
I wonder if MC would be a little bit disappointed in the spec level now seeing one of those and wishing his signiture model came with...

I think it was always meant to be targeted to the younger, entry-level target audience. That's probably smart. The frame size and parts being identical to the Interceptor, basically puts it right at that spot for that age/level of rider, and it was reasonably priced. Most serious riders were building bikes from the frame up or running a Pro/Speed Series anyways (which cost a decent amount more.) So I don't think it would've gone over as well on a higher-spec bike.
Deployer78
8/24/2021 6:16am
Heggo wrote:

Sawfish wrote:
GT even made identical profile cranks back in the day. Honestly the bicycle was a POS, but…. It taught me how ball bearings work I guess.
GT did not make their 3 piece cranks. Profile was contracted to make them and stamp them with the "GT" logo.

Post a reply to: McGrath GT bicycle

The Latest