McGrath: 14 and 1 by Matthes

twotwosix
Awesome read.

"Coming into the 1996 AMA Supercross season, most experts thought it was a foregone conclusion that Honda’s Jeremy McGrath would win his fourth-straight 250SX title. At this point, the humble kid from Murrieta, California, was setting records every time he racked up another win. The year prior, McGrath might have been at his best, adding a 250MX title to his resume for the first time, something some people had wondered if he’d ever be able to do. At his physical and mental peak and with a Honda CR250 that was perhaps never better, MC went into 1996 looking to become the first-ever four-time AMA Supercross Champion. Winning the title again wasn’t the surprise, but the the way he did it has never been topped and still gets talked about now, 20 years later.

This is the oral history of the 1996 AMA 250 Supercross season."

http://racerxonline.com/2017/02/08/jeremy-mcgrath-14-1

|
gt80rider
2/8/2017 11:31am
Very long, but very well done....

What I remember the most about 96 was this... the charisma of MC.... when he walked into a room, any room, all the girls wanted to f' him and all the guys wanted to be him... he sold a LOT of motorcycles... guys would literally watch him win the SX on a Sat night and be sitting at their dealer on Monday morning to pick up a new bike... that is the real point that made MC so much different than other huge names like RC, or Bubba, or even Rick Johnson... not only did he crush it when racing, but his charisma was so strong that it actually sold bikes...

his 96 win streak got so much mainstream media attention, it was mind blowing at the time... the sx/mx scene had never experienced anything like it... I would tune into ESPN's sportscenter and there was MC!!!! they were talking about his streak on a weekly basis... just incredible that year, and his streak helped propel sx/mc racing into a huge surge in the years that followed...
JW381
2/8/2017 11:33am
gt80rider wrote:
Very long, but very well done.... What I remember the most about 96 was this... the charisma of MC.... when he walked into a room, any...

What I remember the most about 96 was this... the charisma of MC.... when he walked into a room, any room, all the girls wanted to f' him and all the guys wanted to be him... he sold a LOT of motorcycles... guys would literally watch him win the SX on a Sat night and be sitting at their dealer on Monday morning to pick up a new bike... that is the real point that made MC so much different than other huge names like RC, or Bubba, or even Rick Johnson... not only did he crush it when racing, but his charisma was so strong that it actually sold bikes...

his 96 win streak got so much mainstream media attention, it was mind blowing at the time... the sx/mx scene had never experienced anything like it... I would tune into ESPN's sportscenter and there was MC!!!! they were talking about his streak on a weekly basis... just incredible that year, and his streak helped propel sx/mc racing into a huge surge in the years that followed...
I had never really thought about it but you're right. He was a different kind of superstar. Makes me miss the days of my youth.
doghouse
2/8/2017 11:47am
gt80rider wrote:
Very long, but very well done.... What I remember the most about 96 was this... the charisma of MC.... when he walked into a room, any...

Eh, I'd say RJ was that way too. The sport just didn't have the marketing opportunities yet for him. The bigger out of industry sponsors started rolling in around 1990 in a way never seen before.

RC and Bubba weren't though, you are right.
TeamGreen
2/8/2017 1:21pm
Best article I've read about the McGrath/Emig days.

The Shop

aharper33
2/8/2017 1:26pm
gt80rider wrote:

Awesome read. I totally agree with everything that was said above. It was mentioned in the story a few times buy everyone that he had every opportunity to be an arrogant punk but he never was. He was the same person on day 1 of his career as he was on the day he retired from racing. You don't really see that now days. He is the reason that alot of people started to race or started to fallow the sport.
slowgti
2/8/2017 1:55pm
I was on 80's then, I couldn't wait to get to the track Sunday morning to hear if MC won another one. Damn good read!
2/8/2017 2:38pm
I prefer the days of laid back, edge sports rockstar to the current aggressively anal super human athlete.
2/8/2017 2:47pm
Always will be a big MC fan, seemed the kind of guy you didn't mind cheering for even if he was winning every week. I wonder if social media will ever allow another of his type to shine through.

He definitely caught the best years of mx/sx, before every had to be boring and solely focused on the job of winning.
philG
2/8/2017 3:17pm
fantastic read, plus watching the races.. great way to spend 2 nights
Helder
2/8/2017 6:26pm
Classic right here;

Danny Stephenson

The big thing about Tampa Supercross to me was I didn’t make the main and because I spent that whole day before the race at the strip club. I was really bummed I didn’t make the main because I needed to make some money back.

Pretty much sums up Supercross in the 90'
JW381
2/8/2017 6:32pm
Helder wrote:
Classic right here; Danny Stephenson The big thing about Tampa Supercross to me was I didn’t make the main and because I spent that whole day...
Classic right here;

Danny Stephenson

The big thing about Tampa Supercross to me was I didn’t make the main and because I spent that whole day before the race at the strip club. I was really bummed I didn’t make the main because I needed to make some money back.

Pretty much sums up Supercross in the 90'
Hell yeah. Although, with how small the purse money is coupled with the time of "day", I imagine the talent was sub-par at best.
dirtnapper
2/8/2017 7:00pm
gt80rider wrote:

JW381 wrote:
I had never really thought about it but you're right. He was a different kind of superstar. Makes me miss the days of my youth.
Aren't you like 19?? Huh
JW381
2/8/2017 7:08pm
gt80rider wrote:

JW381 wrote:
dirtnapper wrote:
Aren't you like 19?? Huh
No.
dirtnapper
2/8/2017 7:30pm
JW381 wrote:
dirtnapper wrote:
Aren't you like 19?? Huh
JW381 wrote:
No.
I was just kidding Jay.

You look young but your sik mullet says 80's child Laughing
JW381
2/8/2017 7:40pm
dirtnapper wrote:
Aren't you like 19?? Huh
JW381 wrote:
No.
dirtnapper wrote:
I was just kidding Jay.

You look young but your sik mullet says 80's child Laughing
Haha righteous brother, sometimes sarcasm is lost on the internet! I would know. Tongue
kmp1219
2/8/2017 8:20pm
MC is the King for a reason. What a badass!
Ted722
2/9/2017 10:48am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2017 10:54am
Great comments/insight from all involved back then, especially Taylor's. Also, interesting about Lawrence's motor that he started the season with. Forgot the amount of rider/mfg. changes that year. Just in this article:

LaRocco (Kawie) to Suzuki
Emig (Yamaha) to Kawie
Huffman (Suzuki) to Kawie
Stephenson (Suzuki) to Kawie
Lawrence (Suzuki) to Kawie

Cool read. I like these formats.
Frodad78
2/9/2017 10:56am
That was great! Definitely made me miss the 90s. Growing up I was so sick of MC winning lol. If you haven't read his Biography Wide Open I highly recommend it, It will make you an even bigger fan.
JMX82
2/9/2017 10:58am
90's riders where like rockstars compared to riders today who are just like robots listing their sponsors in their podium speeches with very little personality. I guess that's what the factories wan'ts their riders to be...
Katoomey
2/9/2017 11:38am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2017 11:39am
gt80rider wrote:

nothing you've said is not true, but we also have to remember that "extreme sports" we're at their peak. It was a sports phenomenon. Everyone involved at the highest level of any extreme sport was getting tons of media coverage, sponsorships, and we're becoming household names. I knew the names of street lugers, wind surfers, and snowboarders for christs sake...all sports I never followed in any way or ever had any interest in.

those we're good times for moto, at least thats my perspective. although I hated everything about the freestyle movement that followed...and yes, I do blame MC for that, I was a little guilty of it myself. I remember watching MC do his first nac-nac (publically) and my mind was officially blown. I was out practicing the move the very next day, maybe even that day. I think I was 15 at the time. It made me the cool kid at the track, there's no doubt about that. I probably did a couple hundred of them that summer, showing off like a total boner. I don't think I've ever done one since...

Needless to say McGrath left a huge impression on me then, and looking back, he leaves another one. He's the most graceful champion this sport has ever had, by a long shot, and one of it's greatest ambassadors as well.

long live the King!!!
doghouse
2/9/2017 11:47am
Katoomey wrote:
nothing you've said is not true, but we also have to remember that "extreme sports" we're at their peak. It was a sports phenomenon. Everyone involved...
nothing you've said is not true, but we also have to remember that "extreme sports" we're at their peak. It was a sports phenomenon. Everyone involved at the highest level of any extreme sport was getting tons of media coverage, sponsorships, and we're becoming household names. I knew the names of street lugers, wind surfers, and snowboarders for christs sake...all sports I never followed in any way or ever had any interest in.

those we're good times for moto, at least thats my perspective. although I hated everything about the freestyle movement that followed...and yes, I do blame MC for that, I was a little guilty of it myself. I remember watching MC do his first nac-nac (publically) and my mind was officially blown. I was out practicing the move the very next day, maybe even that day. I think I was 15 at the time. It made me the cool kid at the track, there's no doubt about that. I probably did a couple hundred of them that summer, showing off like a total boner. I don't think I've ever done one since...

Needless to say McGrath left a huge impression on me then, and looking back, he leaves another one. He's the most graceful champion this sport has ever had, by a long shot, and one of it's greatest ambassadors as well.

long live the King!!!
Yep, I agree.
ATKpilot99
2/9/2017 12:16pm
Great read. I love getting the first hand accounts of all the people involved.
c0ncEpT
2/9/2017 1:26pm
I love that they have all the races linked on Youtube. I watched the Emig win last night and it was an epic race. Larocco was the fastest that night just couldn't put it all together!
JW381
2/9/2017 2:04pm
What was the reason for not putting chokes on the factory carbs??
I've been wondering this too, ever since the YoT 125 in bike builds
dirtnapper
2/9/2017 2:07pm
Ted722 wrote:
Great comments/insight from all involved back then, especially Taylor's. Also, interesting about Lawrence's motor that he started the season with. Forgot the amount of rider/mfg. changes...
Great comments/insight from all involved back then, especially Taylor's. Also, interesting about Lawrence's motor that he started the season with. Forgot the amount of rider/mfg. changes that year. Just in this article:

LaRocco (Kawie) to Suzuki
Emig (Yamaha) to Kawie
Huffman (Suzuki) to Kawie
Stephenson (Suzuki) to Kawie
Lawrence (Suzuki) to Kawie

Cool read. I like these formats.
I agree, I also really enjoy articles written this way, with direct commentary from those there. RacerX does a nice job with segments like this, I've read one similar about the 86 des Nations, I believe it it was.
ATKpilot99
2/9/2017 2:07pm
JW381 wrote:
Maybe so it's impossible for it to be forgotten in the on position or to be engaged accidentally somehow during a race ? Just guessing here.
JW381
2/9/2017 2:09pm
JW381 wrote:
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Maybe so it's impossible for it to be forgotten in the on position or to be engaged accidentally somehow during a race ? Just guessing here.
That's a great guess. And they're probably tuned well enough that they don't even need one.

Post a reply to: McGrath: 14 and 1 by Matthes

The Latest