McAdoo...”diamond in the rough”?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/23/2021 11:14 AM

With all the hubbub about McAdoo and his crash...then being released to ride over with...

Do you think he’s a “diamond in the rough” who will become smoother & less prone to crash given time and experience...or do you think he’ll continue to be a bit of a perceived hazard on the track?

|

4/23/2021 11:20 AM

I hope the former.

|

4/23/2021 11:24 AM

Hard to say. A lot of kids get fast by having that aggressive "on the edge" style and it's hard for them to back it down while still keeping their speed. We see guys like Dungey, Hunter/Jett Lawrence, Pourcel, Sexton etc have fluent riding styles because of their technique and line choices. A lot of these up and coming riders just "send it bruh".

|

4/23/2021 11:25 AM

I hope he smooths out. We haven't seen AC do that yet either though. Those are 2 riders who will really become something amazing if they can just keep it on 2 wheels.

|

4/23/2021 11:51 AM

ACBraap wrote:

I hope the former.

Pretty sure Mitch feels the same way.

|

4/23/2021 11:56 AM

I feel like there's plenty of super fast guys. But you have to have the super brains, or patience, or at least some other component than the willingness to twist it, to be great over time. I feel like RC and RV, they were the fastest dudes, hard working, willing to commit to work and broken bones, but they knew when to check up as well. Stew IMO is greatest of all time. But would you rather have his or the Diesel's record? There's not comparison. But what are you comparing when your brain reacts to that statement? Forkner is quite the example. AC, too? At least AC knows how to make fans on and off the track. What's the drop? "You can't teach speed.." Is that it? Well, it doesn't seem to be any easier to teach smarts either. I have never been a fan of Cooper Webb, but the fact he seems to be one of the most intelligent as well as capable riders on the track, is selling me. And he's also much better publicly than back in his "Frenchie don't want none" days. I might like Tomac, but don't know anything about him. Except what's written or podcasted about him. He doesn't speak. I did hear he had a famous Dad. Anyhow, McAdoo sounds like a very intelligent and thoughtful person in his interviews. I enjoy that he never throws anybody under the bus even when deserved. But damn he needs to put that intellect into use on the track. It isn't always the fastest guy who wins! And ya'll are right, the fastest reaches the checkers first, but you also know what I mean.

|

4/23/2021 12:04 PM

I hate to say it but it's probably not going to get any better. This is already the end of his 4th year Pro.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

4/23/2021 12:37 PM

He reminds me of a Forkner that doesn't break..

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

4/23/2021 12:47 PM

He should move to 450’s to smooth out. What could possibly go wrong?

|

4/23/2021 12:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/23/2021 12:59 PM

He's awesome to watch. I hope he wins titles. Let's remember that he's only had two(?) podiums before this year so he is definitely a diamond in the rough.

Finishes in 2019 SX East looked like this: 11 11 6 6 9 16 8 6 6 3

In comparison, Forkner from 2016: Austin Forkner is the most recent graduate from Monster Energy Kawasaki Team Green and proved to be a force to be reckoned with as he captured two moto wins, six podium finishes and was awarded 2016 Rookie of The Year.

|

4/23/2021 1:00 PM

fullfloater wrote:

He's awesome to watch. I hope he wins titles. Let's remember that he's only had two(?) podiums before this year so he is ...more

He was still just on a fill-in ride in 2019. He's made tremendous strides.

|

4/23/2021 1:20 PM

Based on his picture with all those wraps on him, then him rising back to life 9 times he needs to be called Cameron "The Mummy" McAdoo

|

4/23/2021 1:25 PM

His progression year over year is the biggest surprise to me. If he can keep up that pattern and smooth out then yes for sure a diamond in the rough. Plus he has already shown the commitment to make this happen, now it just takes the work which I am sure doesn't scare him away.

|

4/23/2021 1:57 PM

Before the big crash ,he was pretty smooth this year.
But if he wants to keep gettingfaster n hang with 450 guys he needs to hang it out n be bit loose.

|

4/23/2021 1:59 PM

SCC wrote:

He should move to 450’s to smooth out. What could possibly go wrong?

I would agree.

Cameron is just wringing the piss out of this KX250 to keep it moving,

I think I saw him on a 450 during the week last year at Pala one day, Im sure he will have no trouble with the 450 given his height and weight.

Now being patient, that is another skill entirely. Who knows if he can do that, slow down to go faster...

|

4/23/2021 2:01 PM

He cant go the speed without crashing. If he can figure it out without crashing absolutely. Not sure how that would work tho

|

4/23/2021 2:37 PM

davistld01 wrote:

With all the hubbub about McAdoo and his crash...then being released to ride over with...

Do you think he’s a “diamond in the ...more

He's not perceived as a hazard. The guy has heart and soul and motivation...you can teach or learn skills and technique (which Cameron already has) but you can't teach those intangibles that McAdoo has in spades, such as drive and desire!

|

4/23/2021 4:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/23/2021 4:35 PM

It’s such a fine line, painted with luck.

Next season (or outdoors) he could ride with the same speed and intensity, have one or two big crashes, and win the title. Then, as a champion continue his career. (Even having a season off with injuries at some stage as many great champions have.)
Or
One of the crashes ends his season, and he doesn’t win a title, gets less competitive rides and fades into obscurity.

Kind of like Ben Townley. He had Villapoto covered as far as speed goes. An injury at the wrong time and their careers went in opposite trajectories.

|

4/23/2021 4:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/23/2021 5:03 PM

After many years of lurking these forms I just have to chime in on this one . Kid is fast but scary if I was Mitch I would sit him down and recommend watching Pourcel video from 2009 or he’s gonna end up like Forkner. I heard it helped Blake Baggot -Seen many kids exactly like him classic midwestern speed demons .

|

4/23/2021 5:12 PM

It's a fine line between diamond in the rough and a diamond in a goats ass.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

4/23/2021 6:25 PM

I think that he will be even better next year.

|

4/23/2021 6:39 PM

All I'm gonna say is if I were a team owner and saw a kid with that kind of speed, heart and desire to win, he'd have a spot on my team any day.

|

MCM2 name - RXR_ProKawi24
PS4 Gamertag "Rocko24" - Add me for MES2 (soon to be MES3)

4/23/2021 7:00 PM

davistld01 wrote:

Do you think he’s a “diamond in the ...more

I think he's awesome. Gives it 110% and will not quit.

|

4/23/2021 8:16 PM

ProKawi24 wrote:

All I'm gonna say is if I were a team owner and saw a kid with that kind of speed, heart and desire to win, he'd have a spot ...more

Maybe its the bike. Seems like Jordan had been hitting the ground too. The Farmer out also. Maybe a change of colors could help him.

|

4/23/2021 8:22 PM

Up Wind wrote:

Maybe its the bike. Seems like Jordan had been hitting the ground too. The Farmer out also. Maybe a change of colors could ...more

Both Jordan and Cameron have been known to crash pretty often much of their pro careers. I don't think it's the bike.

|

4/23/2021 8:32 PM

skypig wrote:

It’s such a fine line, painted with luck.

Next season (or outdoors) he could ride with the same speed and intensity, have one ...more

When did Townley have RV covered as far as speed goes?

|

4/23/2021 8:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/23/2021 8:42 PM

ProKawi24 wrote:

All I'm gonna say is if I were a team owner and saw a kid with that kind of speed, heart and desire to win, he'd have a spot ...more

Up Wind wrote:

Maybe its the bike. Seems like Jordan had been hitting the ground too. The Farmer out also. Maybe a change of colors could ...more

jorgechavez wrote:

Both Jordan and Cameron have been known to crash pretty often much of their pro careers. I don't think it's the bike.

Maybe...But it seems like AC and The Farmer should have won more titles than they did. JMO

|

4/23/2021 10:23 PM

Chris_Buehler wrote:

When did Townley have RV covered as far as speed goes?

When they were both riding PC KX250’s.
Without checking, I thought Ben was leading Ryan in the Championship, and battling/beating him in some races.
Could be my biased, ageing memory.

|

4/23/2021 10:52 PM

If I was mitch, I would not let Cameron go, thr kid has heart and desire, that's 2 things you cant teach, Cameron's time is coming

|

4/23/2021 11:17 PM

ProKawi24 wrote:

Up Wind wrote:

He has already raced for orange and red. Barring the last week this season has been by far he’s smoothest and fastest.

|