Maxxis Tire Mounting Myth

Red Flag
11/27/2009 5:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 1:07pm

Myth 1: Maxxis tires are difficult to mount.

Three weeks ago I wrote a post claiming the myth was WRONG based on my experience mounting a 100/100 18 tire for 1983 RM 125. The mounting only took 10 minutes to complete!

Myth 2: A member posted in my original thread that mounting 19" 250F tires are a real bitch.

Today I learned Myth 2 is correct!

I spent a total of 8 hours trying to mount a 100/90 19 tire for my RMZ 250. I never had so much trouble mounting a tire. I ended up puncturing the tube TWICE! After I punctured the tube for the second time I went to the shop and purchased a Motion Pro bead buddy to give me a third arm while rolling that last 8 inches of bead. I also had to soap of the bead really good. Another odd finding is I had to inflate the tire to 55 psi to mount the bead correctly over the rim.

Why is a 18" tire far more easier to mount than a 19" tire? Both tires are the same compound and model.

|
WhKnuckle
11/27/2009 5:22pm
The narrower and shorter profile the tire, the stiffer it is if all other things are equal. That's why we run 19s on MX bikes anyway - so the sidewalls will be stiffer and the bike will handle more accurately.
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
11/27/2009 5:22pm
Use wd40 as lube. It eventually makes the tire stick to the rim better after you get it on, 55 psi is scary, I've had a tbead pop over on me before, it was a pretty scary experience and has turned me into a complete pussbag when it comes to popping beads now.
mjskier
11/27/2009 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:10pm
> Use wd40 as lube.
Some people claim that WD40 is bad for the rubber.
I use Armor All myself.
loftyair
11/27/2009 5:45pm
I just got done mounting a 17" Maxxis on an 85, simple. I never use lube of any sort. I've done hundreds of tires though. Take your time and pay attention to pushing bead all the way down, and no tire is a problem. Set them in the sun, or bring them in the house for a while first, makes it easy too. Rim lock should be last place that the tire gets put on. When taking tire off, start about 5" away from rim lock area, every couple inches each way until the rim lock area is able to come off.

The Shop

Red Flag
11/27/2009 5:47pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
The narrower and shorter profile the tire, the stiffer it is if all other things are equal. That's why we run 19s on MX bikes anyway...
The narrower and shorter profile the tire, the stiffer it is if all other things are equal. That's why we run 19s on MX bikes anyway - so the sidewalls will be stiffer and the bike will handle more accurately.
Sounds logical..
jndmx
11/27/2009 5:48pm
I find that bringing my wheels to the place that I am buying the tires is the easiest way to get them mounted.
Red Flag
11/27/2009 5:49pm
loftyair wrote:
I just got done mounting a 17" Maxxis on an 85, simple. I never use lube of any sort. I've done hundreds of tires though. Take...
I just got done mounting a 17" Maxxis on an 85, simple. I never use lube of any sort. I've done hundreds of tires though. Take your time and pay attention to pushing bead all the way down, and no tire is a problem. Set them in the sun, or bring them in the house for a while first, makes it easy too. Rim lock should be last place that the tire gets put on. When taking tire off, start about 5" away from rim lock area, every couple inches each way until the rim lock area is able to come off.
Interesting...I started mounting the tire at the rim lock....now I think that could be one of my mistakes
Red Flag
11/27/2009 5:51pm
davis224 wrote:
Use wd40 as lube. It eventually makes the tire stick to the rim better after you get it on, 55 psi is scary, I've had a...
Use wd40 as lube. It eventually makes the tire stick to the rim better after you get it on, 55 psi is scary, I've had a tbead pop over on me before, it was a pretty scary experience and has turned me into a complete pussbag when it comes to popping beads now.
I'm thinking the lubricant would make the tire rotate on the rim easier and worst deteriorate the rubber tube. I may try wd40 when i do the front tomorrow.
11/27/2009 5:54pm
Lubri-Tech used to have a tire mounting lube that was pretty slippery and then almost glued the bead to the rim.
Red Flag
11/27/2009 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:10pm
jndmx wrote:
I find that bringing my wheels to the place that I am buying the tires is the easiest way to get them mounted.
Funny part is after I punctured the tube for the second time I took my rim and tire to Cycle Gear and asked them to replace the tube. I find out they are not mounting tires today. WHAT THE *&%. I guess because it's black Friday all the personal must be on the floor and not in the back mounting tires. I did see a bunch of people in the store today buying helmets, jerseys, etc. so I can understand their point.
Red Flag
11/27/2009 5:59pm
Lubri-Tech used to have a tire mounting lube that was pretty slippery and then almost glued the bead to the rim.
wrench,

google them and nothing showed up for tires
11/27/2009 6:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:10pm
Tiki
Fantasy
1774th
11/27/2009 6:49pm
I use WD40 to mount tires all the time. Never had a problem with it. I can understand that it could be bad, it is a strong detergent. To date I have never had any issues. I have rears down to 15 min. 110 and 120 90/19. Fronts take me around five.

Learn the Tao of Tire mounting. The Transworld clip and Vital clip are the best instructions shown.
Brent
11/27/2009 7:06pm
ALL rear MX tires are hard to mount!!!

I've thrown my tire irons into the garage wall in frustration so often, I have a drywall guy on retainer...
loftyair
11/27/2009 7:17pm
loftyair wrote:
I just got done mounting a 17" Maxxis on an 85, simple. I never use lube of any sort. I've done hundreds of tires though. Take...
Red Flag wrote:
Interesting...I started mounting the tire at the rim lock....now I think that could be one of my mistakes
you can start the 1st side with rim lock, but the hard side should be rim-lock last.
OSJ
11/28/2009 8:55am
i use some sunlight dish soap as lube, my dad showed me that int he late 80's and thats how i do it. may try the wd40 next time. for the price to have your tire mounted at the shop, you can buy some good leavers and do it yourself. good learning experiance.
motogeeze
11/28/2009 10:07am
The 19 inch maxxis is a particularly difficult tire to mount, a friend that was in the industry told me once that this is in part due to the fact that Maxxis didnt recast the molds for their 19's when they started making them, rather , they ground out their existing 18 inch molds. I dont know the math on how that affected the diameter and room to work with but thats what I was told. Thier a pretty stiff sidewall and compound to begin with and maybe thats why they last so long, the 18 is a tussle but the 19 is one of the hardest Ive dealt with.
I agree with those who say to lube the crap out of it with wd40, be careful not to go past 90 degress to the rim with the tire iron and take small bites as you go round the wheel spooning the tire on.
mjskier
11/28/2009 10:07am
jndmx wrote:
Last time I did that I had them do it over because the tire wasn't centered.
That's when I decided to learn how to do it properly.

You want scary, try mounting a tubeless Trial tire. I only did it once, and can't remember how much pressure I had to put in for the bead to center. But when it did it sounded like somebody shot a gun in the garage.
Sparkalounger
11/28/2009 10:34am
jndmx wrote:
mjskier wrote:
Last time I did that I had them do it over because the tire wasn't centered. That's when I decided to learn how to do it...

You want scary, try mounting a tubeless Trial tire. I only did it once, and can't remember how much pressure I had to put in for the bead to center. But when it did it sounded like somebody shot a gun in the garage.
your right -or a good year flat track tire, 90-120 psi...

and I do both (michelin trials and goodyear flattracks often)
Nutty C
11/28/2009 10:36am
Dish Soap and water for mounting works for me. The trick to mounting tires is a good pair of tire bars and a garbadge can. Mine are about 2 feet long with a flat spoon shaped end. It don't matter where I start but I try not to end at the valve.
crowe176
11/28/2009 10:38am
Brent wrote:
ALL rear MX tires are hard to mount!!! I've thrown my tire irons into the garage wall in frustration so often, I have a drywall guy...
ALL rear MX tires are hard to mount!!!

I've thrown my tire irons into the garage wall in frustration so often, I have a drywall guy on retainer...
Last time I changed a tire, it almost led to a divorce. Wife said she's never seen a person so scary. When she got a DUI in my truck a few months ago, she said she was hesitant to call me to bail her out cause she thought I was going to go all "tire changer" on her.

LOL
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
11/28/2009 12:07pm
Getting them on is not so bad. Getting them off . . . die grinder time.
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
11/28/2009 12:45pm
jndmx wrote:
mjskier wrote:
Last time I did that I had them do it over because the tire wasn't centered. That's when I decided to learn how to do it...

Tubeless Trials tires are a bitch to set the bead. My buddy gave up on his and put a tube in.
yzfjere
11/28/2009 2:13pm
I've been using Baby Powder in the tire so the tube doesn't chaf and Dish Soap on the bead to mount easier and center easier with air pressure. I been doing it the same way since the 70's. Patience is key. Silly
BobbyM
11/28/2009 2:22pm
why doesn't somebody invent a scooter tire changer that is affordable and works well for the backyard joe guy, air pressure harmonic drive type deally
Bret28g
11/28/2009 2:41pm
yzfjere wrote:
I've been using Baby Powder in the tire so the tube doesn't chaf and Dish Soap on the bead to mount easier and center easier with...
I've been using Baby Powder in the tire so the tube doesn't chaf and Dish Soap on the bead to mount easier and center easier with air pressure. I been doing it the same way since the 70's. Patience is key. Silly
using baby powder is a good trick, especially when running a heavy duty tube. those tend to chafe more than standard tubes. I always use tire soap or dish soap and maybe a tad of silicone spray if the tire is a real bitch. always start at the rim lock for BOTH the first and second bead, and make sure that the second bead is set down in the rim when you work your way around. otherwise it will be too tight to get the last part of the tire mounted.
Highsider
11/28/2009 3:04pm
I BLAME the 450 4-STROKES!!!

My problem is only on rear tire. Prying the 'open' bead apart far enough to re-install the rim lock and then the tube, is the bugger for me.

Rear tires have gotten stiffer sidewalls in the past 3-4 years. I can swap a front tire just about using only bare hands, in comparison.

I just bought a Motion Pro 'gardening fork', for $26, that slips over the 'open' bead and allows you to hold the tire wide open, while finding the holes and keeps the skin on top of my fingers from being peeled off.

Thanksgiving Day I installed a new Dunlop 745 120 X 19 and with the new tool, my life is much easier and my mood is much better.Smile
Cygnus
11/28/2009 3:24pm
You guys complaining should just leave to to the pros. Oh and Maxxis tires suck as far as traction goes! Waste of money!
Highsider
11/28/2009 3:46pm
Cygnus wrote:
You guys complaining should just leave to to the pros. Oh and Maxxis tires suck as far as traction goes! Waste of money!
Well, the older I get, the crabbier I get about cleaning air filters and changing tires.

Maybe I should change to a jet skiPinch NOT!
staycasted
11/28/2009 3:48pm
i just watched the transworld video of the dunlop guy changing a tire.. if he saw me the other day putting a rear tire on he would be disgusted

Post a reply to: Maxxis Tire Mounting Myth

The Latest